Twenty-Three

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"You'll be gone for six months?"

Jungkook didn't want to believe what he was hearing from Haewon in that moment. To him, being apart from her for six months was far too long. Heck, he couldn't even stay away from her for a week and those two weeks he'd spent avoiding het last time seemed like absolute hell to him.

This was supposed to be good news because Haewon was going to become a human again, but for some reason Jungkook felt bitter at the thought of her leaving. No more hugs or kisses or adventures for that amount of time. 

He watched Haewon get off the merry-go-round and walk over to him, her figure starting to appear more translucent under the moonlight. She'd looked like this many times before, but this time it was almost as if she was disappearing completely, and she wasn't noticing it. 

Jungkook felt himself panicking and he switfly reached his arm out to grab on her wrist, pulling the girl over to him so she was safely in his embrace. When he had his arms wrapped around her, his rapid heartbeat started to calm down. He could still hear his own shaky breaths, but all he could care about now was Haewon, his girl, his ghost friend.

"Ji Haewon..." Jungkook felt as if something was caught in his throat; the words were getting clogged up. "Why are you disappearing? Why does it look like you're going to fade away?"

"Jeon Jungkook, what are you talking about?"

"Didn't you notice it just now?" Jungkook pulled back from the hug only to notice it happening again. "Look, it's happening again!"

Haewon stared down at her hands which were fading away right before her but before she could say anything about it Jungkook hugged her tight. If he could, he wanted to stay like this forever. He knew she was about to start crying, and he was too. This had never occured to her before, so why was it now after she'd mentioned that she was leaving? 

"I don't want you to leave me," Jungkook bent his head down, burying his face in the girl's shoulder. "I really don't want you to."

"I'm not leaving because I want to, you idiot." Haewon patted his back in hopes of comforting him. "I'll be back, that's a promise. I'm only going to disappear completely on the day I have to leave, so these are probably just side effects."

"What's going to happen while you're up there? Other ghosts are going to treat you well, right?" Jungkook asked.

"I don't know yet. It's going to be my first time going through such a proccess, and Hanuel-nim never gave me any details." Haewon chuckled when she felt his body tense up. "Jungkook, I'm going to be fine. How many times do I have to keep telling you that? The higher-ups will treat me well for those six months and at the same time I'll be watching over you. So don't you go treating a girl to a meal."

"And don't you go flirting with other guys up there."

"I never knew you were such a big baby."

Jungkook sighed. "I never knew you would be the person to bring out this 'inner baby' inside of me."

This was a side to himself he honestly never knew existed until Haewon triggered it.

 

For the next few weeks, Jungkook took Haewon out on more frequent outings. He'd gladly ditched going out with his friends so that he could show her brand new things she never got to experience when she was alive. There was never a time where the boy would give her some time to be alone with her friends like Seungcheol and Myungsoo.

As the saying goes: time flies by when you're having fun. Before Haewon could realise, it was the day before she was scheduled to become a human for a day, and then when the clock striked midnight the real proccess would begin. She was sitting on the ledge of the rooftop along with Seungcheol (finally), enjoying the last precious moments they were going to be having for a while.

"You know Myungsoo told me  "

"Wait, what the hell   Why does Myungsoo tell everyone everything that happens between us?" Haewon huffed, gesturing with her hand for Seungcheol to continue anyway. 

"So... Myungsoo told me that you were going to treat him once you become a human again." Seungcheol scooted a little closer to her. "Are you only treating him, or..."

"You shouldn't treat Seungcheol, he's going to eat like ten servings." 

"Kim Myungsoo? When did you get here?" Seungcheol waved the boy who was standing at the entrance of the rooftop over.

Like always, Myungsoo sat himself next to Haewon. The three of them swung the legs together over the rooftop ledge and looked out in to the distance where the sun was retreating behind the city view of Seoul. The sky was a mix of bright colours all at once, enveloping the bustling city in beauty. The view was accompanied by noises like boys shouting while playing a game of football at the field below, cars honking and the barking of dogs. 

"A few seconds ago, obviously." Myungsoo replied, his answer full of wit. "So you're becoming human tomorrow huh, Ji Haewon?"

At the mention of it, there was a sudden twinkle in her eyes. "Yep, I am."

"And guess what? She's going on a date with Jungkook, for the whole god damn day!" Seungcheol crossed his arms and glanced at Haewon whose mind was occupied with thoughts of her upcoming date with her boyfriend. "Cut that face out and clench your teeth, you rascal."

Haewon wasn't afraid to flash her teeth at him. "They're clenched."

"Ji Haewon." Myungsoo spoke and before she could turn around to face him, she felt his arms around her. "I'll miss you, as a good friend. When you're up there, don't listen to others if they gossip."

At f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter