Twenty-One

Hello, My Ghost Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : You really need to read this with the music, replay again if it has ended! 

 

During the last two weeks of summer, Haewon found out that being Jeon Jungkook's girlfriend was certainly a title to be proud of. They hadn't even been dating a full month, but he was all over her, his friends were all over her, and it was as if every ghost in Seoul had heard of the news because they asked her about it left and right. She was no longer a lowly ghost who'd decided to end her life. Even if someone was going to call her one, Jungkook would always be there to prove them wrong.

Her dead life never blossomed like this before. Dating Jungkook felt surreal to her, but she knew they were going to go a long way after what they'd been through. They were going to be sharing secrets, experiences about themselves. Haewon sat on the ledge of the rooftop, contemplating on these matters. There was still one thing she needed to do to make her spirit life in this world complete.

As Haneul-nim had told her before, "I believe that there will be someone you'll want to take with you to see your family."

"What are you thinking about?"

Haewon felt fingers intertwine with hers before she smiled at the boy sitting next to her. She didn't know school was over so fast. "Jungkook, can I ask you something?"

"If it's about another guy, then no. But if it's about the two of us, I'm all ears for what you have to say." Jungkook smiled and glanced at her dazed expression where was slightly parting. "Is it something serious?"

"My family..." Haewon gripped tighter at her boyfriend's hand. "I want to see them."

Back then Haewon didn't like the idea of visiting her family after her death. The first she went during the first anniversary of her death, and the image of her parents crying along with her little brother hurt her. Seeing a sight like that for more years to come was bound to make her heart suffer. But now she realised that she was starting to miss her family a bit; her mother's cooking, her father's brightness and her brother's smile. It looked like Hanuel-nim really was right about her wanting to visit them eventually.

"I haven't seen them in four years... my death anniversary was months ago, but I told myself I still didn't want to see them. Maybe it was because I was afraid of going alone, afraid of not being able to comfort them. To be honest, I still am afraid of going alone. I'd never seen my mom or dad cry so hard before, they were trying so hard to hold it in. I wonder if they still do that... I want them to be alright now." Haewon was already a crying mess after she'd told Jungkook all of that.

"A beauty like you shouldn't be crying, Ji Haewon." Jungkook reached his hands up to cup her face and thumbed her tears away. "You really want to see your parents that much, huh?" Haewon nodded in response. "Then, I'll go with you to see them. If you cry, I'll hug you. If you feel like running away, I'll run with you. I'll be next to you the whole time, so be brave, hm?"

"Jeon Jungkook," Haewon felt her heart beat faster at his words, "you'll really go with me?"

Jungkook gave her a reassuring smile as he approved it with a single nod. They didn't leave straight away though, since Jungkook said he didn't want her to see her family with sadness already in her heart. He stayed next to her and continued to dab her tears away with his hands although she reminded him that she could do it herself. But inside, she was thankful that he was doing this all for her.

 

 

Even after five years, everything still appeared the same to Haewon. Her house wasn't a mansion or a villa, it was just an average semi-detached house among others. It didn't look special to others, but it meant everything to her. The gate of her house boasted it's new metal coating which still reeked of fresh metal paint, and Haewon smiled. Dad's been taking good care of the house. There were healthy plants decorating the porch of the house while a lone football stood near the entrance. Joowon and Mom are in. 

"Are you going to go in?" Jungkook asked her curiously. 

"What's the use? They can't see me anyway. There's no point in telling my mom 'I love you' or my brother to 'cheer up'." Haewon couldn't figure out why she was always so negative when it came to visiting her family. 

However, Jungkook was having none of her negativity. "They might not be able to see you, but they can see me. I'll say I'm an old friend of yours that they've never met before, and I'll tell them what you have   no... had to say to them, five years ago."

"Jeon Jungkook, you're really something." Haewon stood on her toes as she reached out to the boy on the head, her fingers running through his soft jet black locks of hair. "But you're still wearing your school uniform. If you don't want to regard me as a 'noona', then you should change or something."

"I already came prepared," Jungkook ed his school dress shirt, revealing an ordinary white tee inside, "and I could say the same to you. Not everyone asks me if I like them all of a sudden."

Haewon was unsure of Jungkook's plan in the beginning. What if her parents didn't believe what he was going to say? She lowered her gaze on the ground and slid her foot in circles on the sidewalk. She was sure she would have to spend a long while thinking about this, but she was interrupted when she felt Jungkook tilt her chin up with his thumb so they met eyes.

"Ji Haewon, trust me.  If it's about you, I'm sure your family will want to listen. So just tell me all of it."

 

Jungkook would do anything for Haewon as long as it made her happy. He didn't like seeing her heartbroken because that just wasn't the same bubbly girl he was accustomed to seeing all of the time. Seeing the girl smile unknowingly made him mimic her smiles too. 

There he stood, silently in front of Haewon's house, his mind busy going through the words Haewon had told him about twenty minutes ago. It was a lot to remember, and sometimes Jungkook could barely even remember a mathematical equation. He took a deep breath before turning around to be greeted by Haewon giving him encouragement by flashing her two thumbs up.

"Alright," Jungkook murmured to himself, "I can do this."

His hovered over the doorbell, and finally with much courage, he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter