Chapter 31

Bloody Kiss

The meeting soon ended without any more trouble as the high officials and the grand council left the building. Hyori and the others still remain having to clean up after the mess Jaejoong made. She stood in the room looking at the giant crack on the floor as she sigh. From the looks of it, the repair fee will most likely come from her paycheck. But she gotta hand it to jaejoong to be able to keep everything under control till the very end. It’s a miracle that Jaejoong was even able to get the eldest member of the council to form the short term alliance. There aren’t many who could get him to act upon their favor.

After a while Yunho returned to Yoochun’s apartment as he stood on the balcony looking down at the broken city before him. There were no beautiful lights or the life that once filled this city. Everything was dark, abandon and eerie silence. He can’t help but think back to what he had just learned from Junsu a few hours ago. To think they were keeping this from him made him irritated.

*Flash back*

“What does my great, great grandmother have to do with this?” Yunho asked a bit curious as to why they will bring her up.

Yoochun and Junsu only exchange looks wondering if they should tell him or not. They weren’t sure if this was their place to say anything. From the expression they were making, Yunho knew this was something they have yet to tell him about, a secret that they have kept to themselves.

“Tell me?” Yunho asked with a tone of voice that states he will not back down until he gets his answer.

“I’ll…tell you…” Junsu finally spoke

“Junsu…are you sure?” Yoochun asked

“I think he deserves to know...”

Yoochun paused unsure if it's right but regardless he didn't stop him.

“You see Yunho…when we first learn about Jaejoong, Hyori had me do some digging into his past. And well…we came across an old journal which happens to belong to your great, great grandmother…”

“why will her journal be among Hellsing’s archives?”

“How it got there, I’m not sure but after reading some of her journal entries we discover that she and…” Junsu paused a bit before continue “she and jaejoong are involved with each other…She was the reason Jaejoong changed…it was because of her influence on jaejoong that today we were able to have him on our side during this darkest time….”

Upon this information Yunho felt a sudden jolt as his chest tighten “and?”

“that...is all I’m going to say…if you want to know more you should ask the person directly” said Junsu as he turn to face jaejoong.

*End of flash back*

“So jaejoong knows my great, great grandmother?...” thought Yunho “what kind of relationship did they have…?”

His chest tightens at the thought that maybe Jaejoong and his great, great grandmother actually were lovers.

“What’s with the gloomy face?” came jaejoong’s voice as he descended from the sky onto the iron railing next to Yunho as he sat down on it staring off into the city “shouldn’t you be smiling like everyone else?”

Yunho only looked at jaejoong for a brief moment before lowering his gaze wondering if he should ask him or not. He really does want to know the truth but at the same time he is afraid of what jaejoong will say.

“Something is bothering you isn’t there? Come on out and ask it?” said Jaejoong as he was able to read Yunho’s facial expression

Yunho was quiet for a bit before finally asking “what…what is your relationship with my great, great grandmother?”

This was a bit surprise to jaejoong but none the less he knew it will come sooner or later. He turns his gaze away from Yunho to the moon above them as a cool breeze blew pass. An image of Jung Hee flashed before Jaejoong’s eyes as he smiled

“We were like brother and sister…nothing less and nothing more…”

“Is that the truth?” Yunho asked a bit doubtful that that’s all to it.

“You don’t believe me?”

Yunho didn’t answer as he continues to keep his gaze low.

Jaejoong sigh before reaching out his hand to pat Yunho on the head “you are thinking too much about it…the truth is…I did love her…”

Yunho felt his heart sink upon the word ‘love’ but did not say a word

“she was the first human that caught my interest…she wasn’t like anyone I had ever meet before…she wasn’t scare of me and like you she was willing to give me blood…through her I learn many things…I learn my rights and my wrong…because of her I was able to regain my humanity that I lost when I became a vampire…I wanted to spend every day with her…seeing her smile…hearing her laugh…and etc…”

Yunho gripped the railing tightly as if to control his jealousy. Jaejoong could see him being troubled and fear that maybe jaejoong might still love his great, great grandmother.

“I loved her but she didn’t felt the same way…”

Upon this Yunho felt the jealousy subsided as he finally turn to look at jaejoong and notice the sadden expression on his face. Now he wonders why his great, great grandmother would reject such a beautiful person.

“To her I’m more like a friend…no…a brother…she treats me like a family member…”

“did you…confess to her?”

Jaejoong shook his head “I was stupid then…I didn’t know anything about love nor do I know what I should do…I thought that in this world it will just be me and her…but I was wrong…she soon found someone she truly loved with all her heart…he was…a great man…kind…gentle…respected…well manner and most importantly he will be able to provide her a life that a vampire like me will ever be able to…”

“Now that I think about it…I never really got to learn about my great, great grandfather…”

“they were…how should I put it…a pair of idiots in love…I was kind of jealousy because he was able to obtain the love I wasn’t able to…I couldn’t cross the line between a vampire and a human…so I only watched them from afar…”

“then…the promise you spoke of…is that…”

Jaejoong nodded his head “before she died…I made a promise with her that I will watch over her family and made sure they live their life without fear, without anger…and to always smile until their very last breath…”

“then…is that why…you have been watching over me? Were you…were you also there when…when my family…”

Jaejoong’s expression turn bitter as he recalls returning to the Jung resident to discover a blood bath has taken place. Even till this day he still hasn’t forgiven himself for letting such a thing happen.

“sorry Yunho…” he spoke soft and full of regret

“Why are you apologizing?”

“Even though I promised Jung Hee I will watch over her family…I fail to save yours…I caused you to be left alone in this world…”

Yunho turn his gaze to the city “I don’t blame you…”

“At that time Rain has return to the city and constantly seeking me out…I thought it will be best to leave so your family won’t get caught up in my mess but I never imagine that by leaving it will cost you your family…”

“Is that why you have been watching me ever since I was a kid?”

Once again jaejoong nodded his head

“Aren’t you a stalker?” Yunho grinned

“Oi…don’t make me sound like a child e…”

Yunho only chuckled before stopping “well…I guess I’m glad because of her you are at my side....she has no idea who she rejected…” he smiled at jaejoong “it’s her lose and it’s my gain at the end…”

Jaejoong couldn’t help but chuckled which Yunho thought was cute. He reached out and touched Jaejoong’s soft cheek. They both look at each other’s eyes before leaning and shared a kiss. 

“do you still lover her?” Yunho asked

“why are you asking that question after kissing me? Way to ruin the mood…”

“S-sorry…”

Jaejoong smiled softly at Yunho “I still love her and she will forever be my saver…I wasn’t able to cross the line with her but with you somehow I was able to…so consider yourself special…”

Yunho blushed too embarrass and too happy to even look Yunho in the eyes as he averted his eyes. Jaejoong found his reaction to be quite cute as he started to tease Yunho.

“By the way you did a terrific job today…the look on all of their faces was a sight to see…” grin Yunho

“I know right…everyone in there was so afraid that for a moment there I thought they were going to piss their pants…”

They both chuckled and chatted throughout the night pushing aside their worries of what tomorrow will bring. For the next couple of days everyone was busy preparing for the upcoming solar eclipse. Through the alliance between vampires and human, other came to the city wanting to help out. Once again Seoul is filled with more hunters and soldiers to fight off any forces that Woojin will bring forth from the darkness. It didn’t take long before other countries learn of this alliance as they offer a helping hand to fight against Woojin.

“They have become celebrities now…” said Hojoon as he watched a bunch of people started talking about the vampires. Both guys and girls are talking with excited expression.

“last night while I was out on patrol…guess who I saw?” one of the guy spoke

“who?”

“I saw Kim jaejoong…”

They begin to squeal like little girls

“He is so damn beautiful that it’s scary…I wish I can become closer with him…just being near him will be like a dream come true…”

“Looks like Yunho might have competition…” thought Hojoon

“MyungHee is also very beautiful…I love how bouncy her is…”

“Ohhh…speaking of bounce…why don’t you go bounce to your assigned area…” smile Hojoon with a killer aura emitting from him as the younger hunters quickly scattered.

“speaking of Yunho…where is that guy?” Hojoon wondered as he looked around but did not see him anywhere.

“sick?” spoke Hyori as Yunho is on the other line “is this a joke?”

“I’m human Hyori…why would I joke about being sick..” spoke Yunho as he sneezed and then blow his nose

“you sure pick the perfect time to get sick…you were just fine the last few days…”

Yunho recall staying outside all night talking and laughing with jaejoong as he blushed from embarrassment “well…things happen…”

Hyori could only think about Jaejoong as being one of the causes of forcing yunho in bed as she sigh “very well…just get some rest…”

“Thank you..” Yunho hang up the phone as he lay back down on the bed feeling like he just spin around a thousand time. His face is completely red as chills comes and goes. He wraps the blanket around his body before coughing.

“Yunho…I’m coming in…” said Yoochun as he enters the room with a tray. On the tray is a bowl of soup along with a cup of water and cold medicine. He sat the tray next to the table before walking toward the window and pulled the curtain apart to let in some sunlight. Upon the sudden light, Yunho felt the throbbing pain in his head intensify as he quickly pulled the covers to block his face.

“what the hell Yoochun…”

“My bad…” Yoochun apologize before picking up the bowl of soup “here…eat this…after that takes you medicine…we can’t be having our ace hunter be missing from the battle…” he smirked

Yunho only looked at the soup in his hand and felt his stomach doing an endless cartwheel. No matter how much his body wants to reject the food Yunho knew he will have to eat it in order to quickly recover from this cold.

“I’ll be in the office…call me if you need anything…make sure to rest up Yunho…”

“Thanks…”

With that being said Yoochun left the apartment leaving Yunho alone. After forcing down the soup he took the medicine and drinks the water. He wipes his mouth before turning his attention to the calendar that hangs on the wall across from him. From the looks of it, it’s been 5 days, meaning 2 more days till the solar eclipse. Yunho will have to make sure he recovers before then. With that thought in mind, Yunho reached for the curtain and closed it once more blocking away the sunlight before going back to sleep.

The day went by rather peacefully like the other days with no signs of other vampires attacking at night. It was reassuring to know that Jaejoong and his team also help patrol the night in case woojin decided to pull a fast one on them however they have not hear from him. Even though it’s great that they can pass the day peacefully, Jaejoong can’t help but feel uneasy. He knew Woojin will attempt to bring forth eternal darkness, but who knows what else he could be planning.

“What are you thinking?” Changmin asked as he enters the room and sees Jaejoong deep in thoughts

“I’m just wondering what that old fool is planning…now that we have gotten closer to the solar eclipse…I feel like he will be doing something to try and weaken our defenses while he can…”

“That sound like something he might do considering the fact that most of his army is already defeated…”

“That’s the thing though…with his army cut more the half…what else does he have that he can be using…”

Changmin also begin to think when he thought of something “you…don’t think he will go as far as to…”

“To what?”

“Use the dead…”

Upon this thought Jaejoong went quiet. Most likely Woojin will use the dead since he has the ability to bring back the dead. But even if he bring back the dead to add to his army they are useless. Unlike vampires who possess the strength and power, the dead has nothing.

“The more I think about it the more uneasy I become…” said Jaejoong

“You don’t think he still have more of those barnabas do you?”

Jaejoong thought some more before his eyes widen in total shock “that’s it…that’s what he is planning…”

“What is?”

“This might be bad…” jaejoong made a troubled expression “With the little vampires he has left under his command…he will most likely turn them all into Barnabas…”

Now it’s changmin’s turn to look trouble “but a barnabas as the strength of 20 vampires combine…if all of them become a barnabas it will be back to fighting a full army no matter how little numbers there are…”

Jaejoong sigh “he ain’t going to go down so easily….while we are busy trying to fight all barnabas…he is going to block the sun for good…” he stood up and exited the room

“where are you going?” MyungHee asked as he walked pass her in the hallway

“We need to rethink our plan…” said Jaejoong

“But it’s still daylight out…” she spoke

Jaejoong grabbed the coat and put it on before zipping it and pull the hood over his head.

“you really aren’t planning to go out during the daylight are you? you must be mad…” Changmin protest

“we have no choice…this can’t wait till night…” said Jaejoong as he put on his shoes and gloves.

“you are risking your life on this Jaejoong?”

“Changmin ah…I’ll be fine…it’s not like this is the first time I’ll be walking out in the sunlight” grin jaejoong as he opened the door and felt the sun warmth upon his body. He squinted his eyes a  bit before it adjusted to the light. He pulled the hood further out until the shadow covers his face blocking it from the sun’s ray.

“I’ll be back later…” said Jaejoong as he closed the door.

Even though jaejoong told him not to worry, he can’t help but worry.

“I have always thought of this but never really said it so here I go…” MyungHee turn to changmin “you are like Jaejoong’s mother…”

Changmin only look at her “now that isn’t very nice of you…”

As night falls, everyone is once again on full alert. Hunters were sent out on patrol as Jaejoong work with Hyori on a new plan of attack. Yoochun and Hojoon are out with their team while Junsu is resting back in his apartment. Sitting on the arm chair in his apartment living room, junsu is once again going through the journals that were written by the four great kings who first defeated Woojin. As he carefully read through them once again, he stopped at the missing pages. It is really puzzling as to who will rip these pages out and for what purpose. Just then Junsu notice something strange on the page before the missing page. He didn’t realize it before but this page seems a little thicker. He looked at the edge and notice it’s two pages stuck together. If not carefully look at you wouldn’t realize this. He slowly and gently try to tear them apart hoping the pages will not rip. Once he successfully tears them apart he was stun to notice that it’s actually the missing page. It wasn’t that someone torn it out but the page was glue together.  Junsu tried his best to read through the page as the writing was faded and barely readable. He was able to make out the words and put together the sentences. After reading the page, he quickly went to the other pages that were also missing and notice they too were glued to the front page. After reading all the missing pages, Junsu was in total shock. The first blood war was far more gruesome then they thought but what was surprising was the person mentioned here who help crafted the cursed sword.

While everyone was busy, Yunho was still fast asleep in his bed undisturbed. No sound was able to wake him. It’s been so long since he last gotten sick and has forgotten the weakening feeling it comes with. He didn’t feel like doing anything but sleep and be lost in dream land.

Another day passed as the solar eclipse draws near. Everyone was on edge just thinking about what will happen. If Woojin were to succeed on eternal darkness, all of humanity will be in danger. Jaejoong stepped onto the balcony of Yoochun’s apartment as he lightly knock on the glass door. At first there were no response as he tried to open the door and to his surprise it’s unlock.

“Yunho…” he calls out to him as he enters the room and headed toward the bedroom where Yunho still laid asleep.

“this guy sure can sleep…while everyone is getting ready for tomorrow he is lying in bed dreaming fields of flower…” thought jaejoong as he walked toward the bed and sat down making the bed move. Upon the motion of the bed, Yunho finally opened his eyes a bit daze before turning around and felt someone’s cold hand upon his forehead.

“Jae…?”

Jaejoong smiled “now that brings back memories…when we first meet I only mention to you the first part of my name…”

“What are you doing here?” Yunho asked

“I heard you were sick so I thought I drop by to see how you are doing…was it my fault you got sick?”

Yunho shook his head “it’s not your fault…don’t worry about me…it’s just a cold…it will go away soon…”

“I know but I’ll still worry…”

Yunho look at jaejoong and notice the golden glow of his big beautiful eyes “it’s beautiful…”

“What is?”

Yunho reached toward jaejoong and cupped his cheek in the palm of his hand “Your eyes…it reminded me of twinkling stars in the night…”

Jaejoong chuckled “Are you sleep talking Yunho ah…”

“Maybe I am…maybe I’m not…this cold is messing with my head…I can’t even till what’s up or down anymore…”

Jaejoong pulled the blanket closer to Yunho before gently caressing his head “just get some rest…tomorrow is going to be a big day for everyone…”

“I wanted to get better so I can also join the battle…”

“We can handle the event tomorrow no matter what we will defeat Woojin…I’ll do everything I can to prevent him from accomplishing his goal…I’m going to protect this world you love Yunho…so you just fight this battle you are in now…”

Jaejoong removed his hand from Yunho’s head and was about to stand up when Yunho grasped his hand tightly pulling him back. He had on a troubled expression

“Tomorrow…whatever happens…rather we win or lose…promise me…promise that you will return…that you won’t sacrifice your life like before…”

Jaejoong leans forward a kissed Yunho on the lips “I promise…now sleep Yunho dear…”

As if those words were a spell, Yunho felt his eyes heavy as he closed them and fell asleep once again. Jaejoong looked at him a bit uneasy before standing up and headed back toward the balcony. He stood there and stared at the moon and the stars that shine brightly.

“Watch him closely…no matter what…do not leave him alone…” spoke jaejoong

“Why do I have to be the one to babysit?” the vampire name Top asked

“Because you are stronger…I trust you to do your job well…”

Top clicked his tongue but none the less he obey “I really don’t see why you want to help the human so much…after everything is over…don’t you think they will just turn on us…?”

“Your way of thinking is just like theirs…they fear we will turn on them after Woojin is defeated while you fear they will turn on us…but why should you fear them Top…they are just human…they can’t do anything to us…even if they choose to cut us…fired at guy…burn us…we will not die…there shouldn’t be any fear for you…”

“It’s not fear Jaejoong…”

“Then what is it?”

“It’s…” Top begin to think but no words could describe this feeling as he let out a irritated sound “never mind…don’t you have other places to go to…?”

“Tomorrow Woojin will come with who knows what…make sure you are ready to face anything because I won’t be able to come here tomorrow…”

“I know…you will be going for Woojin directly…it’s kind of risky if you ask me…”

Jaejoong grin at Top “risk is what I love to do…”

With that being said he turns into a black mist and disappear. Top let out a sigh as he turns his attention to the apartment. He can’t help but pity Yunho for jaejoong just made a promise that will not be kept.

As night slowly turns into morning, everyone was up and early. Many hunters and soldiers stood at their assigned area as they waited. The entire city stood still for the first time as no sound was heard. Everyone stood still as they kept their gaze at the rising sun.  

“Hey look!” one of the hunter spoke as he pointed to the sky as the solar eclipse started. Once it aligns between the sun and earth, the last battle to reclaiming this world will begin. Just the thought of it made everyone nervous as their body started to tremble. It felted like a life time when the moon aligned with perfectly between the sun and earth. Once the light has been blocked, it was time for Jaejoong and his team to move as they left their hide out and stood upon the roof top of buildings. Jaejoong looked at his watch and calculated that this phase of the eclipse will only last a couple of hours. It’s either they defeat woojin and return before the eclipse is over or the eclipse become permanent and they are stuck fighting woojin for eternity.

“Move out…” jaejoong ordered as all of the third generation of vampires scattered throughout the city leaving only Changmin and Myunghee at his side.

“Remember…Woojin is mine…” stated jaejoong

As he spoke this words as the sound of gun fire echoed and followed by agonizing scream. A loud and terrifying growl filled the air signaling the start of the final battle for humanity.