chapter 30

Antifan

Cling! It was a small sound of metal against the cement floor but Mir had saw 

the small metal even before it hit the floor. Like a hyena, he threw himself and grabbed the key and shoved it into the cuff restraining him. Ignoring the hugging duo, he just ran out of the building, leaving behind small trail of dripping blood from the wound on his back and on his wrist.

Noona. I'm coming. I'm coming.

 

@@@@@

 

The fire was too strong. In the dark night, the orange glow of the fire stood out even more. The occupants of the building were all screaming and flooding out of the building in haste, pushing away whoever blocked their way while Mir was pushing forward through the crowd. He was the only one pushing through the sea of people to enter the building.

It was hard. He was pushed back out of the building a few times already but he didn't stop. He felt how his shoes fall off of his foot one by one, leaving him barefooted yet he still kept pushing forward. In his mind was only Eunah. And that drove him forward even more. Pushing against the people harder.

When he got to the staircase, it was a good thing the staircase was already empty. People had already emptied the building and Mir ran with his all energy, feeling his tongue thickened and almost blocked his dry throat, his lungs burned in his ribs, acid scorched his overstrained muscle. But he never stop. His sister didn't stop 6 years ago and saved him from death. This time, it was his turn. And he would not fail. He couldn't!

Mir grabbed on the railing. If it was only depending on his energy alone, then he would have fallen halfway but the will... The will to save his sister had given him the strength he needed. And he was able to reach the 15th floor.

"Noona!" He called out between his heavy breath when he reached the front door of Eunah's apartment and strated banging on the locked door. "Hyojin Noona!" Mir fumbled with the doorknob but heat coming from the metal doorknob almost made the skin of his palm roasted.

Mir backed off slightly from the door. Wiping his sweat on his temple, he heaved in a deep breath and his eyes focused on the door. Pushing hard the ground under his feet, Mir launched himself on the door. A 'crack' sound resounded from the impact of the collision between his body with the door.

One more time. One more... Repeating what he did before, this time with much more speed, much more momentum, much more impact, the door flew open and Mir stumbled into the living room. Thick grey smoke had already covered the white ceiling. It was scorching hot in the room. Curtain was burned. The most intense fire came from one of the room in the house. Eunah's room.

Mir ran to the room. It wasn't locked. Mir pushed open the room and staggered backwards when strong fire projected from inside the room like was being breathed out by a dragon, almost burn him down. If only he was a step closer, the fire could have reached him.

Covering his face and coughed by the smoke that was burning his nose and throat, Mir entered the room. Tied to the chair and surrounded by all the fire was Eunah. Mir looked around the circle of fire before he jumped across it thoughtlessly. The end of his pants caught on the fire but he simply smacked the small fire off though it did still manage to slightly burn his skin.

Mir crouched in front of Eunah. "Noona. I'm here. Wake up." Mir patted on his sister's cheek gently and Eunah's eyes peeled opened one by one before those brown orbs widened at the sight of Mir.

"Cheolyong-ah. What are you doing here? Get out of here." Eunah uttered weakly but her eyes showed the urgency she had.
"I'm here for you, pabo-ya. We will get out of here. Together." Mir assured and started to untie her sister and Eunah fall weakly off the chair, into Mir's hold when there was no longer rope holding her up. "We'll live." Mir said and took off his jacket as he covered Eunah head and face in it so Eunah won't inhale more smoke than she already had. Scooping the weakened body into his arms, Mir leapt over the fire again but this time he wasn't as lucky as before when an explosion occured from the kitchen and sent tremors through the apartment, causing the cupboard by the door falling down. It didn't blocked their way but it fall directly on Mir.

Mir's hold on Eunah was lost and his sister fall onto the floor, hard, and rolled away a few steps away from Mir who was now caught under the heavy cupboard.

"Cheolyong..." Eunah crawled back to her brother and with her weak power, she tried to pull Mir from under the wooden load but it was to no avail. She cried. She sobbed and would have wailed out loudly, crying for help if she had the energy to. "Please... Someone... My brother." She wheezed out.

Mir caught Eunah's hands and gripped on them tightly. "Listen to me. Get out of here." Eunah shook her head. "Please." Mir cupped Eunah's cheeks and wiped those falling tears with his thumb. "It's okay. It's okay. You can do it."

"I-I can't!" Eunah crawled closer to Mir, her position mimicking her brother exactly. Lying flat on their stomach. Eunah clung around Mir's neck and buried her face in Mir's shoulder. She felt how Mir pulled the jacket he had drapped over his sister to shade her head again before Mir took her face into his hand, looking with stern eyes into her own lost ones. Eunah shook her head again, but Mir nodded and stopped her shaking with his own hands.

"Go."

They shared a long yet short moment of locked eyes when another explosion occured. Mir automatically used all he could in this position to shade his sister. When he was sure it was safe again, he pulled away. Smiling at his sister and nodded.

"No. If you can't live with me then I'll die with you. Remember?"

Mir chuckled bitterly. "I'm a patient with amnesia. I don't remember." He lied and pushed Eunah away slightly. "I don't."
Eunah saw through the lies but she knew better than to point that out. She finally nodded and Mir smiled wider at her, nodding as well to make sure she didn't change her mind.

Eunah tried to stand on her wobbly legs but ended up had to crawl again on her hands and knees. She felt Mir's eyes on him so she tried her best to stay awake. To get out of this place but the smoke was too thick and she had inhaled too much. Just a few steps... Just that and she collapsed. Maybe they would really die together after all. But Eunah wasn't scared. At least she was with with Mir... It wasn't that scary... Death is...