chapter 25

Antifan

Eunah looked around the roof, embracing his heart so it wouldn't break. Inhaling and exhaling a few times, she put on a smile. Hopefully it looked sincere enough in Mir's eyes.

Seeing as his brother was sitting on the bench, looking up to the grey sky, Eunah had to hold her breath so she won't let out a choked sob. She didn't want to cry in times like this but... But... Watching Mir slowly falling back into the dark world again was too hard for her. What if... What if Mir decided to take his own life again? What if... What if this time, she or Seungho or GO or any others wasn't there to stop Mir.

Exhaling a long breath one last time, she approached her brother and sat next to him. She didn't say a word. She didn't know what to say. None of her words could glue back her brother's heart. But she had promised. Mir might not remember, but she remembered. She promised to stay by Mir's side. She promised to never leave. So she sat there. Beside Mir. In silence.

"Noona..." Eunah stiffened. The voice was quiet but she swore she heard Mir. She turned her head to look at Mir but the boy hadn't moved a bit from his position, eyes still on the grey sky that shade them. Eunah's brows pulled together. Maybe she was just hearing thing. "Noona." Eunah snapped her head towards Mir.

"...Yes." She answered hesitantly because she wasn't fully certain if Mir was really speaking to her.

"I want to die." It was just as quiet as when Mir had called her. Small voice that almost unheard but it struck Eunah way too hard and Eunah found herself frozen with her heart trembling in her ribs, almost plummeted into her stomach.

" But I can't..."

Eunah blinked. As sudden as those anxiousness and fear come, it gone just as sudden. Mir had that much control on her. With just those quiet words, he controlled her though she was sure Mir himself didn't even realize that. "Huh?" Was all she could give as response.

"I... I promised you, right?" At that time, Mir turned his head slightly until his weary eyes locked with Eunah. There was doubt there. And Eunah knew she needed to confirm those words for Mir, so she nodded. Exhaling, Mir looked back on the grey sky. "So it really was you." He whispered. Eunah was sure those words was meant for Mir himself but she still heard it.

"You remember?"

"Just a blur picture. That's all."

Eunah nodded and a smile tugged on her lips despite the situation. She scooted closer to Mir and rested her head against Mir's shoulder. Amazingly, Mir didn't flinch, or stiffened at her touch, instead her brother relaxed in this position, even letting his cheek leaned against the top of Eunah's head, letting the long raven hair slightly tickled his neck.

"Do you only remember your promise?" Eunah asked quietly as not to disturbed this precious moment between her and Mir. Mir just made a small noise, that meant he did. "Then, do you want to know my promise to you?" Mir hummed, closing his eyes when he felt Eunah's hand slipped into his and hold his tightly. Protectively. It felt so soothing. So familiar. Almost a motherly touch. "I promised to never leave you."

"I'll live for you." Mir repeated his promise as the words of the their past promises echoed in his head.

Eunah smiled a bit wider. Though this was unexpected. Though this was really out of her calculation, making her wondered what was actually running around in Mir's mind as she couldn't seem to get ahold of, she had to say that this was a really great surprise. Mir had assured her. Assured her to forget her greatest fear. Mir had promised to live just like he had done 6 years ago. She hold that promise. Treasure those words. Because Mir would live. She needed to know that at least and Mir had granted her exactly that.

 

@@@@@

 

Seungho tucked the blanket around Mir that had somehow crumpled at the edge of the bed after putting down the chocolate he bought for the maknae. He saw frown that was almost permanent on Mir's sleeping face and in turn, the same frown painted his own face. He sat by Mir's side, away the strands of the maknae's raven locks from his closed eyes. Mir whimpered slightly, making Seungho sighed.

In Mir's whimper, there was mention of Jiyeon's name and pleas for the girl to not die, to come back to him. It hurt Seungho seeing his maknae was so hurt. But what could he do to help? Nothing... In those 6 years where Mir had lived without Jiyeon, Mir had survived without their help. So, what kind of right did Seungho have to step in now and acted as if he could help the maknae to forget Jiyeon. He didn't even know why he was still here when Mir didn't even need him. Never need him. That time too. This time too. He was never needed. Maybe that was why Mir had hidden all those things from him. The heartbreak. The suicide. He was kept in the dark and it hurt... So much... He thought they shared everything with each other. No... Apparently it was always one sided.

"Where's Hyojin noona?" That question had startled Seungho a bit. He was lost in his thought that he didn't realized Mir had woken up from his bad dream.

Mir sat up and leaned his back against the headboard of the bed with two fluffy pillows as support. He looked fine, as if he wasn't just having a nightmare not a minute ago.

"I don't know. Maybe her shooting got delayed." Seungho answered with a smile.

Mir nodded and let out a long sigh. Concerned, Seungho Mir's hair, not noticing how Mir didn't flinch away from him anymore.

"What's wrong?" He asked softly.

"How much longer do I have to stay here?" Mir asked, didn't even try to hide his displeasure. It had been the second week he was in the hospital and he was pretty sure he had been healthy enough to get released.

Seungho chuckled but then stopped when a thought came across him. If Mir was to be released from the hospital... Where would the maknae go back to? He sure as hell hope Mir would come back to their dorm but the chances were... Well... Most probably, to Hyojin's house. Why would he even ask?

A knock on the door caused their eyes to flicker to the door that opened slowly until it revealed Jr. Seungho snapped his head towards Mir in reflex, expecting the maknae to breakdown after he heard about what had happened between Mir and Jr from JB but surprisingly, Mir was looking calm, a small smile grazed on his pale lips.

"Can I talk to you?" Jr asked coldly. If Seungho didn't know what was shared between Mir and Jr, then he would have yelled at the young boy for being so disrespectful. He had to clench his fists though when Jr spoke the next words without even looking at Seungho. "Alone."

Mir must had sensed Seungho's anger as the maknae's hand grabbed on his shoulder and Mir looked pleadingly towards Seungho. Pleas for understanding. How could Seungho denied that look on his maknae. So he just nodded and left, not without glaring at Jr as he walked past the young boy in a silence warning that if anything happened to Mir, then Jr had to expect the worst from him.

Once the door closed, Mir shifted on his bed slightly, gesturing for Jr to sit on the chair where Seungho sat before but the younger just stroded inside, past Mir and towards the glass window, ignoring Mir's invitation.

"Don't you have more to ask about her?" Jr finally asked.

Mir pursed his lips in thought. What would he ask? What should he ask? Standing up, Mir approached Jr, his eyes were on the window too, watching on the rain that pattering on the cold glasses.

Jr scoffed when Mir kept his silence. "Don't tell me you're already over her. That easily?" He turned his dark eyes on Mir and got his tongue paralyzed once again at the look on Mir's face.

"Over her?" Mir repeated in a small voice. A small bitter smile grazed on his lips. A smile that was forced through an unexplainable pain yet a pain Jr somehow could understand. "I don't even think that is possible. Or ever will..." Mir continued as he turned slightly until his eyes locked with Jr. "You know that as well as me."

Jr flinched. It wasn't like he had been hiding his obvious feeling towards Jiyeon but hearing that from Mir just made his eyes stopped beating for a moment. As if he was caught while doing something wrong. Was loving Jiyeon wrong? Was it?

Mir exhaled and turned his gaze away from Jr to untangle the silver chain from his wrist. He looked up again as he hold out that silver chain towards Jr who had his eyes wide when he recognized the chain. Mir let Jr snatched it away from him and watched quietly as the younger inspect the pendant carefully. It was clear how much Jr treasured the pendant.

Mir arched his brow when Jr suddenly let out a quiet snicker before the younger chuckled. The laugh sounded wrong somehow. Not the kind of laugh you have when you're happy. It was far from that. It was of disbelief and slight hurt and a lot of bitterness. "What kind of fate is this?"

What kind of fate is this? Those words rung loudly in his ears. Triggered him of a part of the memories he had forgotten. "Ugh!" Mir grunted loudly and clutched on his hair as the headache came crushing him again. Mir squeezed his eyes tightly when flashes of pictures went past his mind. Of notes... Of texts... Of words of warning. Words of hating. Words that would take him down in any time. Mir slightly opened his eyes when he felt nails digging on his shoulder and saw Jr hovered above him, shaking his frame that had somehow fall unto the floor in that very moment with a look that was close to worries. But he couldn't hear a sound. Only the movement of Jr's lips.

Mir closed his eyes again when he saw Eunah's image in front of his eyes. And a black sedan. Sliding fast towards her. Opening his eyes wide, Mir shouted in fear and anxiety. "Noona!"