chapter 21

Antifan

Eunah peered into the room where he had left Mir with JB. Mir looked uncomfortable and of course couldn't recognize JB but JB seemed to be able to handle the situation smoothly. JB was telling Mir about their first meet in the variety show and Mir seemed interested to hear. His face lit up slightly, contrasting his pale skin, red swollen eyes and dry chapped lips. Mir looked slightly sick. But there was faint smile ghosting on his lips. Fake or not that smile was, Eunah still felt slightly relieved. At last, Eunah felt like she could relax a bit. Even the psychiatrist who was in charge on Mir had told her that Mir had been making progression. He wasn't as depressed and keened to die as he was when he first admitted here after the abduction.

"So... You suspect Jr is the one behind this?" Eunah heard Seungho was asking GO. It seemed like GO had already explained what happened to the others.

"We don't have prove." Sanghyun added, crossing his arm in front of his chest. His brows pulled together in deep frown. His pink lips pursed in thin line.

"Say..." Joon looked up to GO with curiosity. "Don't you think Cheolyong should know about Jiyeon?"

"NO!" All four pair of eyes fall upon Eunah who was approaching them. There was fear on her features, urgency in her tone. "Cheolyong can't know!" She warned.

"Why? He has right to know." Joon asked slowly.

"He can't know!" Eunah repeated; this time there was anger dripping in her voice.

Seungho stepped forward and held Eunah's shoulder. "Cheolyong need to know. He has been asking about Jiyeon. He cried this morning because he remember about the break up. He said he really want to meet her again. We should tell him." Seungho reasoned.

Eunah shook her head, pushing Seungho's hand off of her shoulder. "Cheolyong would break. He can't know." Eunah sobbed.

The way she was reacting strongly towards this issue ensued confused look from the other four.

"You didn't see how destroyed he was when Jiyeon left him. If you guys see how was him at that time, then you guys wouldn't have even suggested to tell him this." Eunah said in between her sobs. She was too affected by all of this. And more, she was affected by the possibility of history repeating once again.

"I'm sure he would be fine." Seungho started again after a few moments of silence. "Sure Mir would feel sad but I think you're overthinking this."

Sanghyun nodded. "Plus, they have broken up for six years and never even meet once in those years."

"Exactly!" Eunah exclaimed, catching her breath before she continued. "He hasn't met her after 6 years yet she's the only one he remembered. He doesn't remember you guys. Heck! He doesn't even remember me, his own sister. He remember Jiyeon. The girl who had left him. Who he had never meet for six years. What do you think does that mean?"

The other four exchanged a glance as Eunah's word sinking into them.

"I never told anyone about this." Eunah added after calming herself again. "But this..." Eunah paused and swallowed, feeling how dry was. "This isn't the first time."

"What isn't?" Joon asked, he had a strong feeling he wouldn't like what he was about to hear.

GO held on Seungho's arm. He felt fear instilling his heart when Eunah hesitated to answer Joon's simple question. He felt how Seungho used his other hand to cover his hand which was holding onto the leader's arm for support. They shared whatever strength left in them.

Eunah inhaled and exhaled a few time. Feeling the pricklings in her chest as she was about to let out the secret she had been keeping for six years, between Mir and her, as she was about to let the dark past resurfaced in her memories. "This isn't the first time... Of Cheolyong trying to kill himself."

A collective gasp could be heard in response to her words. Eunah closed her eyes. She couldn't stop just at this. She had told them and she needed to tell them the whole stories. To explain why she had chosen to keep Jiyeon's death from Mir.

And she knew. This would hurt them as much it hurt her. Though it couldn't be compared to the pain Mir had received.

"Even my parents and Hyosun unnie don't know about this. Depression is not a new problem for Cheolyong. He had been through this before. And looking at this, I know Cheolyong has never really heal. He just hide it. If he know Jiyeon die, he..." Eunah swallowed loudly. "He will die." That was how much Jiyeon meant to Mir.

 

@@@@@

 

6 years before...

 

"Cheolyong-ah. Are you going there again?" Eunah had asked even when she knew her little brother won't aswer her. He had never answered any of her question since two weeks ago. Since Jiyeon went missing. Since the house that used to be the place Jiyeon lived in now was replaced by a new small family. Jiyeon left without any trace. As if she was never exist before.

Eunah could only send Mir out with sad gaze. She didn't know whether it was right for her to keep Mir's condition secret from her parents. From Hyosun. But Mir had asked her to. Mir didn't say anything. But Eunah knew from his gesture. On the second night Jiyeon went missing, Mir had cried in his sleep. Whimpering. Sobbing. In that situation where Eunah wasn't able to wake Mir up, she had grabbed the phone, saying she wanted to call their mother, in that time, Mir had wrapped his cold clammy hand around Eunah's wrist, shaking his head weakly. Right then and there, Eunah knew Mir won't forgive her if any other family members other than Eunah knew about him. And that was also the reason why Mir chose to stay in Eunah's house despite his brother in law constant question on why he moved out.

Mir had trusted Eunah. How could Eunah break that trust. So, she kept this secret. She watched how Mir sinking deeper into his own dark world. She tried to pull Mir back. But it was hard. Jiyeon leaving had consumed the bright light from inside his brother. And left him in darkness.

Sighing deeply, Eunah scratched the back of her head and closed the front door after watching Mir disappeared into the elevator at the end of the hallway. She stroded to the guest room Mir was using to clean it for a bit. That was when she found it. The letter.

Not so much of a letter. Just a small note of 'Thank you and I'm sorry' scribbled messily. It was Mir's handwriting. She recognized it right away. And the grim feeling chained her stomach. She had foreseen this before since Mir had been so depressed. But not this sudden. She didn't need one full paper of letter for her to know what those five words meant. It was a farewell. A suicide note.

Crumpling the small yellow paper in her hand, she ran. She didn't even bother to lock the front door as she was leaving. She didn't even bother to wear her shoes properly that halfway through the lobby, she was already barefooted, running with all she got. She knew where to head to. The rooftop.

Panting. Feeling the burning of her lungs and the tearing of the skin of her soles, she didn't stop. She couldn't stop. She wouldn't stop. Though she felt the muscles pulling her. Her legs became heavier, she kept running. If she had to crawl then that was what she would do. As long as she could stop Mir.

Slamming opened the door to the rooftop, Eunah stumbled forward. was dry, swollen, thick and seething as if she had just swallowed hot sand. She looked around and instantly saw a figure leaning on the other side of the rail. The only thing supporting the figure from falling was the small extended roof under the figure's feet and the figure's hand loosely curled around the rail.

"BANG CHEOLYONG!" Eunah herself was surprised by her loud voice, even Mir, as the boy looked back at the sound of his name. Raspy but still powerful. She stepped closer to Mir who looked back at her with empty eyes. "No please. Get back to this side right now. I'm not kidding!" Eunah was boiling with anger. Rage flushed throughout her body. Mir couldn't do this. She won't let Mir died just because of a girl who left her brother behind without turning back even once.

"Go home, noona. I need this. I... I can't handle the pain." As empty as his eyes had been, Mir's voice was just as void. Monotone. No soul. Mir swayed a bit forward and Eunah took a step closer.

"You can't die!" Eunah was screeching right now. Out of frustration. Out of adrenaline that rushed in her blood.

Mir looked away from Eunah and back towards the open wide bright sky. "I have no reason to live. It's empty."

"What about me? What about Hyosun? Omma? Appa?" When Mir just kept his silence, Eunah stepped closer as she continued. "Can't I be the reason?" Her voice softened.

"I hurt her and she left." Mir hung his head low and even when Eunah couldn't see his face, she knew Mir was crying. Again... "And i'm hurting you by getting hurt. You will leave too one day." Mir whispered but Eunah heard each words because she was standing right behind Mir now, with only railing separating them. Eunah covered both Mir's hands on the railing with her own hands. She caressed Mir's cold hand gently. Full of love. And she hoped Mir could feel the love she tried to convey.

"I will never leave. You're my baby brother." She said tenderly, barely above whisper.

"YOU WILL!" Mir shouted angrily and cowered again just a second after. The blaze of anger in his eyes was only there for a second before it was replaced by hurt and eventually looked empty again. "You will..."

"I promise. Trust me. Please. I promise I will never leave you." Eunah didn't flinched when Mir had shown his anger and she kept on promising to stay, to never leave, to be there by Mir's side, until Mir's empty voice cut her off.

"She promised she would wait too. But she left." Mir swayed again forward causing Eunah to sprang up with a horrified scream and locking Mir's thin waist with her arms. Mir hadn't eaten right for the whole two weeks. He was losing his weight. She buried her tear-stained face in Mir's back. She didn't even realized when had she started crying.

"If the pain was too much. If death was the only way, then bring me with you because I can't handle the pain as well." Eunah felt Mir stiffened in her hold. She released him and tried to climb over the railing. She didn't know what was she thinking. What was in her mind... But she was so determined to join Mir on the other side until Mir turned so quick and hugged her tight. Her cries muffled against Mir's chest. "If you won't let me die with you. Then you have to live with me." Eunah sobbed and clung on Mir. Clung on Mir with her whole life. With desperation. "Please..."

"I'll live. I'll live. For you." Mir breathed out, and to even further proving his words, he climbed over the railing to the safer side, all the way Eunah never pulled his hands away from Mir. Once Mir was already on the safer side, Eunah fall weakly on the floor, bringing Mir down with her. She felt fingers tracing her bleeding feet. "What have I done?" She heard Mir whispered.

Pulling away slightly, Eunah pressed her lips on Mir's forehead to ensure her little brother that it was okay. That the cut on her soles won't even match the cut in her soul if only she was even a second late and Mir would have jumped into the abyss. This kind of cut was nothing...

"I'll live. For you." This time it was a promise.

 

@@@@@

 

"That was when Mir had been skipping the practice for a month?" Seungho asked, and fall back onto the wall behind him when Eunah nodded in response. He blamed himself. He blamed himself for not knowing how much pain Mir had to live with. 

He felt sick thinking all those happy smiles. All those loud cheerful laugh. All those michievious pranks... All were just an act. Mir was bleeding from the inside. That made Seungho wondered if he even know Mir. Real Mir. Not the fake one. 

Maybe... Maybe Mir was a stranger just like how he and the others were strangers to Mir. Seungho looked up when he felt fingers kneading into his shoulder and met GO's eyes. Similar emotion swirled in the main vocalist's eyes, reminding Seungho he wasn't alone in this.

"He can't know." Eunah repeated for the nth times already. She really couldn't risk Mir falling into that destructive depression again. It had took her a lot to finally pull Mir back into their life again. Although not fully. But at least Mir was alive and was beside her. Nothing else were important to her than that.

Seungho looked towards the other three boys. They lifted up their gaze, feeling Seungho's eyes on them. GO was the first to agree. Was the first to nod at Seungho's silent question. They would keep this a secret. Since even listening to Eunah's story had made those miserable torturing feeling crawled deep in their skin, they were sure they wouldn't have enough strength to see Mir in that state. Somehow to them, Eunah was a really strong girl. A really strong sister.