Chapter 30 - My name is Cheon Seong Im

The Heart

It was 100 days since Ji Hyo in coma. Just like any other day, Jong Kook visited Ji Hyo at the hospital but that day was more special. He wore a nice fine-looking black suit. His hair was also nicely done. He looked handsome.

He stood next to her bed. She was still lying there, unconscious. He lightly caressed her hair and her face.

“Ji Hyo ah, you probably can’t see oppa but oppa is very handsome today. I wore your favorite suit. Remember the one that you bought for me in America? I’m wearing it today. My stylist also took time to have my hair done carefully today. If you open your eyes, you will see I’m very handsome. I promise” – He said, smiled sadly

Then he knelt down on one knee and held her left hand softly.

“Ji Hyo ah, you have been sleeping for 100 days already. I have been waiting for you 100 days but I’m running out of patient. So today, I want to ask you again the question that I asked you 1 year ago. Will you marry me?” – He looked at her as if she would get up and answer him –“Well, if you are not going to answer me, I will take it as a yes. I will count to ten, if you are not answering, I will put the ring on your finger. I will start counting” – He looked at her again, still no response

“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0” – He slowly counted – “Ok, you didn’t answer. It means you agree. Then I’m putting the ring on your finger then.” – He said then slowly slid the ring on her ring finger.  

He held her hand, planted a soft kiss on her ring finger then stood up. – “It still looked great on you Ji Hyo ah. It was made just for you.” – He smiled looking at her hand. “Do you remember that you asked oppa to give the ring to someone deserve it better than you? The fact is no one deserves it better than you Ji Hyo ah. I saved this ring very carefully because I know one day it would return to you hand. Well now you accepted it, you have to wake up soon ok? So we can have a wedding. A big one. Let’s have our honeymoon in Europe like you wanted ok? We can visit Paris, London, and Milan. I know you will love shopping in Milan. All your favorite designer brands are located there. Let’s make some Jong Kook junior and Ji Hyo junior too. I’m sure they will be very cute because they have such a beautiful mother.” – He paused a little, a plump stuck in his throat kept him from talking. He took a deep breath, tried to swallowing the big plump – “Wake up soon ok Ji Hyo? Oppa is about to go insane already.” Tears couldn’t stop falling down as he looking at her.

 Despite how long it had been, he still couldn’t get used to the idea of her kept laying there unconsciously. He felt hopeless …

Next day, when he came to visit her, he brought a bunch of white spare paper.

“Ji Hyo ah, someone told me that if I fold 1000 paper cranes, my wish will come true. So I will start folding today and my wish is that you will wake up soon. But you know how big my hands are right? Folding those little things won’t be easy to me. You better wake up before I done 1000 cranes ok?” – He said, smiled softly at her and started folding the paper.

It really wasn’t easy for him to fold those paper cranes. He pulled out the instruction from the internet, following it step by step but it still took him 10 tries before making a complete one. With each one completed, he hung it on the ceiling of her room.

Every day he came to her, he would fold ten paper cranes while talking to her. After 100 days of hard working, he finally completed 1000 paper cranes and hung it around her room. Now he just hoped for a miracle to happen.

Meanwhile, in limbo,

Ji Hyo was walking with Dong Wook just like any other day since she had been in limbo. There was not really any sightseeing in limbo, just whiteness everywhere so mainly they just talked about their past.

 But that day was different. From afar, she saw a flock of white crane flying toward her direction.

“What is that?” – She asked Dong Wook

“I guess it’s time for you to come back to earth.” – He slowly answered.

“Why?” – She asked, curious.

“Someone probably made 1000 paper cranes and wished for your return. I guessed that person is Kim Jong Kook. He is really desperate for you to come back Ji Hyo ah.” – He smiled gently at her.

“But I don’t know if I can be able to face him with all the things that I did to him” – She said, lowered her eyes.

“Ji Hyo ah, when you wake up, you will forget all the painful memory that you went through. Let’s live your life the fullest, as before you met me, before my dead, before all the sad memory happened. Be happy ok Ji Hyo?” – He softly said while caressing her head.

“What do you mean?” – She frowned, couldn’t understand his words.

“You will see. Time for you to go. The cranes will take you soul back to earth. Be happy ok Ji Hyo? I love you” – He planted a soft kiss on her head.

Before she could say goodbye, the cranes already surrounded her. They were flying around her like a tornado. She felt dizzy and closed her eyes.

When she opened her eyes, she was at the hospital. It was night time already. She looked around. A man was holding her hand, sleeping right next to her in sitting position, face on the bed.

“Excuse me,” – she shook that man by the shoulders.

He woke up, looking at her. He rubbed his eyes. She was looking at him, eyes wide opened.

“Ji Hyo, you finally woke up.” – He held her hand, yelling happily.

“N-ne, but where am I.” – She asked, eyes seemed to be at lost.

“You are at the hospital, do you remember what happened? Do you remember me?” – He asked, looking at her with hope.

She looked at him for a while, frowned her head then she squealed.

“Omo, Jong Kook oppa. What are you doing here?” – She happily screamed.

“You remember me?” – He smiled happily and hugged her tightly.

She was fluttered by his hug. Her cheeks turned rose. It took her a moment to respond to him.

“Of course I remember you. Who doesn’t know Kim Jong Kook of Turbo. What are you doing here oppa? Where is Kim Jung Nam oppa?” – She asked excitedly.

He looked at her, eyes wide opened. His smile disappeared, replaced by the confused and concerned look.

He held her hand – “Ji Hyo ah, what year is it right now?” – His heart beat fast, waiting for her answer. It was weird when she mentioned Turbo and she wouldn’t address him as Kim Jong Kook of Turbo. She should know that Turbo had been disbanded long time ago. He was nervous, hoping her answer was 2015.

“1996 of course. But oppa, why did you call me Ji Hyo? My name is Cheon Seong Im.” – She innocently answered.

He dropped her hands, staring at her in confusion.

“Oppa, are you ok? Did you visit wrong person. I know I won’t be that lucky to be visit by a celebrity. Can I at least have your autograph oppa?” – She looked at him, begging. Her eyes were pure and innocent. It was indeed the eyes of a teenage girl, who never went through any pain or hardship. It was different than the sad eyes of 34 years old Song Ji Hyo. It was definitely the same person but the feeling … just different to Jong Kook.   

“Ji Hyo ah, don’t play with oppa. You know that this is the year of 2015 right? You know that Turbo no longer exist right? Tell me you are just playing with oppa, can you?” – He shook her shoulders, his eyes started tearing up

“What are you saying oppa? What do you mean Turbo no longer exist? You guys are great. Are you saying that you are disbanding? Please don’t do that. I love Turbo.” – She said with a teenager sulkily voice. Her hands were locked together , eyes begging.

“Ji Hyo ah”

“Oppa, again, I’m not Ji Hyo my name is Cheon Seong Im” – She said, eyes serious.

He froze, staring at her, dumbfound. He still hadn’t caught all with the happiness that she woke up but now he was in panic mode. The woman in front of him was Song Ji Hyo but not Song Ji Hyo. She was  Cheon Seong Im, the 15 years old Cheon Seong Im, living in the year of 1996. He wasn’t sure if he should be happy or not any more.