killing me softly and i'm still falling

more first than sun, more last than star [CLOSED]

for swagsuga []


It’s the first birthday she gets to spend with him.

I’m so glad we’re friends, she thinks with a shy smile on her face as she watches him from the corner of her eye. He’s hunched over, dressed in black, hands stuffed deep into his pants, but he’s here, walking beside her down the street on her birthday and that’s all that matters.

"Hey,” he coughs, catching her attention. “You sure you don’t want anything? For your birthday.”

She smiles and shakes her head with a light blush on her cheeks. “No, it’s fine, really! I’m just glad we can spend time together. You’ve been so busy these past few weeks.”

He clears his throat and looks away. “Is there anywhere you wanna go?”

She shakes her head again. “Nowhere in particular. Are you hungry?”

He half-smirks at her. “No, but I can always eat.”

She giggles and begins walking slowly. “Let’s get food and then just walk around and look at the shops.”

He falls into step beside her, glancing at her every few seconds and opening his mouth like he wants to say something, but he doesn’t.

Sujin thinks back to when they first met. I remember thinking he was so scary, she contemplates fondly. It’s only been a few months since then, but things are so different now.

She thinks about the balloon in her chest that keeps expanding with every thought of him and wonders if they could ever be. Sometimes she catches him looking at her with this intense look that makes her face hot and her forehead sweat and her heart thrum like a hummingbird’s wings and thinks maybe.

Maybe.

They stop at a small café and get smoothies and crepes. Yoongi insists on paying for her, reminding her that it’s her birthday.

“I can still pay for myself,” she mutters, pouting lightly.

Yoongi rolls his eyes as he hands over the cash to the giggling barista. “Sujin. It’s your birthday. Just let me do this for you.”

“I told you I don’t need anything—”

“I know,” he cuts her off and gently steers her to a table to sit at while they wait for their food.

The barista hands him the receipt with a broad grin and chortles, “You and your girlfriend are adorable.”

Sujin immediately turns red and Yoongi clears his throat loudly. “We’re just friends,” he mutters, stuffing his wallet away, before joining Sujin.

They sit in awkward silence for a few long moments before Sujin finally says in a meek voice, “Um, sorry.”

He looks at her incredulously. “For what?”

She ducks her head bashfully. “She…she thought we were, you know, dating.”

Yoongi scoffs. “Her mistake, not yours.”

“No, but, well…” Sujin bites her lip. “Just, I feel like, if people think that about us, you won’t be able to get a girlfriend.”

A derisive snort yanks her eyes to him. Yoongi tries and fails to tamp down his amusement. “Do you think I’m looking for a girl right now? More like you won’t be able to get a boyfriend.”

She blushes hotly and can’t meet his eyes. “W-w-well, I’m not looking for a boyfriend either!” Because I like you.

“Then it doesn’t matter what other people think.” His name is called and he gets their food and brings it over to the table.

“Thank you.” She accepts her crepe and stares at it in awe. It’s big and warm and stuffed full of strawberries and chocolate and whipped cream and it looks delicious.

Yoongi digs into his immediately, the appreciative glint in his eyes the only clue to his enjoyment. Sujin notices and laughs at him when a mustache of whipped cream sticks to his face. He it away but misses a spot near the corner of his mouth.

“You missed a spot.” Sujin points at his face but his tongue swipes over clean skin. “No...no, over here...no, wait, here—”

She leans over the table and reaches her hand to his face, her thumb carefully sweeping over the cream on his skin. He freezes, but she doesn’t notice as she sits back down and wipes her finger off on her napkin.

He exhales harshly, sitting back and watching her as she bites daintily into her food, unconscious of the affectionate little smile on his face. You’re so oblivious, he thinks.

“Mm! This is really good! Want some?” Sujin eagerly extends her crepe towards him and his lips quirk up into a crooked smile before he grabs her proffered hand firmly and leans forward to take a large bite.

She squeaks indignantly as he devours a good chunk of her crepe. “Yoongi! Don’t eat all of it!”

He smirks and his lips exaggeratedly. “You offered.”

“Not the whole thing!”

He chuckles and holds up the other half of his crepe at her. “Here, try mine.”

She brightens and bends forward, her free arm holding back her long hair as she takes a small bite. His eyes linger on her eyelashes, her lips, the line of until she pulls back and beams at him. “Mm, it’s good!”

He eyes his crepe dubiously. “That’s it? You can have more.”

She shakes her head and returns to her own crepe. “It’s yours. I know how much you eat.”

Smirking again, he makes sure she’s watching as he stuffs the rest of his crepe into his mouth, chews, and swallow in one big gulp.

She gasps. “Yoongi! You’ll choke!”

He slurps his smoothie and shakes his head. “Hurry up. You’re like a turtle when it comes to food.”

Huffing, she polishes off the rest of her crepe as fast as she can and smile triumphantly at him with chipmunk cheeks. Swallowing, she sips her smoothie and stands, gesturing at him. “Okay, I’m done! Let’s go!”

They leave the café and stroll down the street, window-shopping. It’s a nice day out, sunny and blue and breezy. Sujin smiles until her cheeks hurt, a bounce in her step, as she makes conversation with Yoongi.

Suddenly, she stops. Yoongi halts and is about to ask her what’s wrong when he follows her gaze and growls, “No.”

Sujin whips her head at him and stares at him pleadingly. “Yoongi—”

“No,” he repeats. “I am not going in there.” He won’t look at her because he knows her puppy eyes will get him.

So he’s shocked when he suddenly feel her hands on his arm, tugging softly. It startles his gaze to hers, where she is, indeed, blinking up at him imploringly.

“Please, Yoongi?” It’s her turn to pull the birthday card on him. “It’s my birthday. You asked me what I wanted…and I want this.”

He groans. “Sujin, please.”

She tugs at his sleeve again.

“Sujin. Sujin, no—”

Three minutes later, he stands right inside the door, the bell chiming cheerfully above him. He glares at it darkly for a second before following Sujin further into the shop.

“Hi, welcome to Build-A-Bear Workshop!” a friendly shop employee greets them. Sujin smiles back, but Yoongi glares resolutely at the wall. He feels ridiculous—the things he does for this girl. “Can I help you get started on a bear?”

“Yes please!” Sujin eagerly trails after the employee, not even bothering to check if Yoongi is behind her. She nods emphatically as she listens to the employee’s instructions.

“Alright, so to begin with, pick a bear that you like.” The employee points her to a display and Sujin gasps at the options.

There are animals of all kinds, but Sujin falls in love with a fluffy white bear as soon as she lays eyes on it. It reminds her of Yoongi, in a way, not that she’ll ever tell him that. She giggles to herself.

“Which one are you getting?” Yoongi asks gruffly, looking past her shoulder, his voice brushing by her ear.

Sujin stamps down a shiver and points. “That one.”

The employee nods and asks her to record a sound and choose a personality trait while she gets an empty bear from the stock.

Glancing over the choices, Sujin immediately chooses loyal, picking out a colored heart with the word “LOYAL” embroidered onto it. When she goes over to the sound recording station, she’s pleasantly surprised to find that Yoongi has already recorded something for her.

“What did you say?” she asks excitedly, but Yoongi just looks away in embarrassment and tells her to listen to it later.

She agrees, but her mind races as she tries to imagine what he possibly could have said aside from “Happy birthday” that he doesn’t want her to hear yet.

The bear is stuffed, stitched, and fluffed in no time at all. Sujin refrains from pressing on its belly to hear the recording.

“What would you like to name it?” the employee asks kindly.

Sujin glances at Yoongi and brightens with inspiration. Yoongi realizes exactly what’s she thinking and immediately shakes his head.

“No. Sujin, no. Don’t you dare—” he threatens warningly, but Sujin ignores him and happily declares, “Suga! His name is Suga. S-U-G-A.”

Yoongi covers his eyes, looking for all the world like he’s being tortured.

“Alright! Here’s his birth certificate. Have fun finding clothes for him!” The employee hands Sujin a sheet of paper and ushers her in the direction of the clothes.

Sujin hugs the bear to her chest and dashes off, Yoongi grumbling under his breath as he unwillingly shadows her. She hums contentedly as she sifts through the tiny racks, searching for the perfect outfit.

What feels like an agonizing eternity (to Yoongi, at least) later, Sujin presents the bear to him. “Ta-da! What do you think? Doesn’t he look a little like you?”

Yoongi surveys the bear in its little black snapback with holes for the ears, miniature black hoodie over a plain white T-shirt, dark jeans, and tiny red-and-white sneakers. He grabs a different snapback and hands it to her. “No.”

Sujin laughs as she takes off the bear’s hat and swaps it for the one he chose and he grudgingly cracks a smile at the carefree sound. “Anyway, I’m done! Let me just go pay and then we can leave.” She smiles knowingly at him.

He rolls his eyes. “Finally.” She moves towards checkout but he blocks her. “Give it.”

“But he’s mine.” She clutches him to her chest.

Sighing, Yoongi grabs the bear and walks off with it.

“Yoongi, wait!”

He pays before she’s able to pull out her wallet and holds the box out to her. “Here. Happy birthday.”

She takes the box, thanking the cashier, before running out the door after him. “Wait, but Yoongi, you didn’t—”

“I know.”

“Because you didn’t wanna go there in the first place—”

“I know.”

“So I could’ve—”

“Sujin.” He meets her eyes firmly. “I wanted to, okay? It’s not a big deal.”

“But—but it was pretty expensive—”

He scoffs. “I’m not that broke yet.”

“No—I didn’t mean—”

“Hey, I’m hungry,” he says abruptly. “Let’s get food.”

Her mind whirling at the sudden change of topic, Sujin blinks blankly. “But we just ate.”

“That was like two hours ago.”

“But—”

“Come on.” Yoongi grabs her free hand and tugs her after him. She blushes at his touch, but squeezes his hand tighter. His lips twitch upwards. They walk down the street in silence now, lost in their own thoughts, but it’s comfortable.

Sujin couldn’t have asked for a better birthday.


Sujin. Happy birthday. Ahem. God, this is embarrassing. What am I even supposed to say? The things I do for you. Anyway. Uh, yeah. Happy birthday, again. Uh. Thanks for…everything, I guess. Thanks for talking to me on the subway, that day. Even if you didn’t mean to. So…yeah. Later.

Sujin smiles and buries her face in the plush, a happy pink blush on her cheeks and the sound of his voice in her ears as she falls asleep.


notes: So so so so so sorry for the long wait! I've had sooo may projects to deal with, and I still have one more, but the instructions aaren't out yet, so I'm relaxing today! I need to get some writing done ASAP.

Thank you for requesting, swagsuga! Sorry it took so long. Hope you enjoy it! It's been a while since I wrote Sujin and Suga and it was actually kinda hard for me to get a handle on their personalities. This is after CCT but before university, so they're not together-together yet. I imagine this is after all of BTS is "back to normal," so to speak (hence the busy weeks that he didn't get to spend time with her :D).

Feel free to continue requesting! I might not update quickly but I'll definitely finish your requests ASAP!

skyblaze208, OUT!


© Copyright 2015 by skyblaze208