Chapter 01.

Thank you, puppy

Hello, puppy

 

Rachel's POV

I was a freshman in university, studying in human biology. I was a pure human. However, all my friends were shapeshifter. I was fine with that as long as they didn't mind.

 

I was an orphan and lived in orphanage till I turned 18. Auntie Boyoung provided me money for primary and secondary education but she insisted on me staying and growing up in the orphanage. Now I was living in a small apartment. I was working in a veterinary clinic as a clinic nurse.

 

It was ten o'clock at night and I could go.

“Rachel, it's raining cats and dogs outside. Do you need me to accompany you to home?” Jinyoung asked.

“No thanks. I brought my umbrella. And, don't use that idiom again. Look, cats and dogs are glaring at you.” I chuckled as I could see how angry the animals were.

“Fine. Be careful my dear.” Jinyoung frowned and ruffled my hair. Then I left.

 

I had to walk for about 15 minutes from clinic to my home. I didn't think it was really a long distance but Boss Shinwoo insisted to drive me home when he worked at night with me. He was the warmest boss in the world.

 

I suddenly heared a weak wail when I walked past a back alley. Is there any abandoned animal? I walked into the alley with my phone's flashlight switched on and the alley was awfully clean. There was a cardboard box that soaked wet. I opened it and saw a golden retriever puppy. The eyes of puppy were half closed. It whimpered and I its fur lightly. The golden fur reflected the light of my phone and shined. How can someone so cruel and abandon it here! I decided to bring it home and asked my friends what to do tomorrow. I put it back to the box and took the whole box because it could be a shelter as well as a warm place for the puppy.

 

I got home finally. I took my towel and wiped the puppy clean. I immediately felt grateful that I knew how to take care of an animal because of my job. I applied some baby powder on him (yes I checked its gender) and I loved the smell of baby powder so much. He was so fragile and so small. He was about the length of my forearm. That made him that cute. Thanks to my internal maternal love and I decided to embrace him and sleep with him.

“Are you a shapeshifter or pure animal? Goodnight puppy.”

 

TGIF. Thanks God it was Friday.

Why classes needed to be started this early? It was still seven o'clock and I had to wake up and go to university.

I opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling. I sighed. I suddenly remembered I brought the puppy home. He disappeared! Wasn't he sleeping with me last night? Maybe it was a dream? Or maybe I was hallucinating?

 

I walked to the restroom and started my daily routine. I saw my towel on the floor and when I looked closely, the lovely puppy was cuddling and sleeping in my towel. I picked him up lightly and placed him onto the sofa with my towel. Such a cute creature. I continued my daily routine and got ready for school.

“Are you a shapeshifter or pure animal? Bye puppy.” I kissed his forehead and left.