Under the table

One more day

They wanted me to design them... I didn't understand the depht of the request untill they took me to their producer. 

After taking my coffee I showed them the clothes I did and then, after little giggles from the maknae line, Rapmon, Suga and Jin almost dragged me to Big Hit entertainment. The others were almost as eagerly towed by their manager back to the dorm. They hadn't sleep at all at night and they had vocal practice at 3 pm. I waved goodbye while V was trying to get out of his manager grip. I get a look at Jungkook that was riding out tiredness with stretching, J-hope smiled widely at me and Jimin... even when he was the first that got in the van... there was a second I felt his eyes on me... they were inquisitive, but I couldn't figure why.

"What's with him?"- I ask under my breath.

"Jimin?"- Rapmon started walking forward- "He's always like this when we meet new people. It's his way of facing intriguing people"

"Ah... Am I intriguing?"- I look at Suga.

"You have an air of mistery around you"- he answers- "you are a foreigner and you've been through a lot too. It's interesting"

"Mmm..."- I look at myself in the windows of the stores we pass by. I never considered myself intriguing, not a little bit, but I guess I am in that sort of way Suga had said... experienced? confident? maybe that's how I looked outside, but I knew I had a long way to go to be at least half as fascinating as the people I was walking with. These kids had been through much more than I had and in so little time too... If I was intriguing, they were captivating. Even walking side by side with them was kind of absurd. They used masks and shades, but every single pair of eyes on the street was fixated on them. I wasn't of any help either... A foreigner with three very attractive koreans was not a good way to hide in a crowd. Soon enough, girls started to follow us.

"Are you nervous?"- Jin asked trying to make me focus on the road and not on the girls.

"I am"- I said sincerly. It was not the little crowd following us, it was the whole idea of meeting the PD- "It's been a while since I had to present something"

"You won't have to speak much"- Suga was almost unaware of the situation developing at our backs, he was more like sleepwalking through the streets. I could notice the way his eyes started getting red- "PD-nim is gonna do most of it"

"Great... Am I going to have an interview? Oh God... I'm so not ready for this"

"There's no interview, you already have the job. What PD-nim wants is to meet you and start the feed so you can start working as soon as possible"- Rapmon added- "He says you are perfect for the job"- the job... I still wasn't sure what it was exactly, but I was passed the point of asking them... should I figure it out on my own? Design them... well it was probably something about clothes or styling more than design. And there was another thing lingering in a corner of my mind... how could the PD know I am perfect for the job? I was eager to meet the person that could open this big world to me, but truth to be told, I was more nervous than ever in my life and... it was like a daydream. 

"We should've taken a cab"- Jin remarked looking back.

"Can I ask something?"- my voice cracks, but then I hear at my side:

"Damn"- Rapmon took my hand and started running suddenly- "We should've been more cautioned... I'm sorry noona"- the first taste of the fame... when I looked back a ton of girls were almost running at the same speed we were. It almost looked funny, I swore I would've done the same in the position they were, but now I was at their side, running desperatly to get out of sight. After a good 10 minutes of full speed sprint we got to the building save and sound.

"I cannot breath Namjoon"- Jin said leaned in the wall. Suga and Rapmon sat in the stairs, they both had to run with my clothes in hand. I just laughed, the sight of these seemingly perfect guys running for their lives holding bags as big as trash bins was just hilarious. But more than that... I thought that for active dancers, they had pretty ty phisics skills.

"You should excercise more often"- I say looking at the panting messes in the floor.

"We do this kind of training a lot"- Suga held on to the rail- "More than I would like to admit... It's important that fans see us in the streets, they get excited"

"We should've taken a cab"- Jin said again- "Excited my "

"I don't know how many times I've said it"- said a sharp voice upstairs- "you should never walk down the streets... this kids. Do you wanna die?"- there he was, another person I've only seen in tv. Bang PD-nim was standing in the higher part of the stairs looking down on us- "Aren't you kind of late?"

"I'm sorry PD-nim"- Rapmon said rapidly incorporated himself- "We were having some problems to get here"

"Ok, you brought her"- said the PD- "Now go back to the dorms. You have an album to produce kids, I need you here in the evening"- I panic a little at the statement. I thought they were going to be with me... oh damn. I look at Suga and he shook his head.

"Don't worry, he's not that scary at the beginning. He'll want to sign you"- he whispered while Rapmon answered the PD. I was sweaty, my hair was messy and all the effort I had put in the morning for making myself presentable for the interview had been ruined just by a 10 minute jog...- "noona, don't panic, he'll like it, you are what we need. Have faith in yourself"- he gave a little push to my back to make me go upstairs. The PD didn't even wait for me to reach the top and started to walk. I take it as a "follow me".

The whole floor was full with Bangtan's posters, the cubicles were occupied by lots of people, making calls, having little reunions and focusing of the screens of their computers. It was definetly not my kind of job, but thankfully I pass right through them with the PD guiding me. None of them look at me, nor the PD, they were just very into their work. 

"I'm sorry for not giving you the proper welcoming to our company, but we want to go straight to the point here. This kind of introductory meeting is not going to take much time so the presentation must be done in less than half an hour. Also... I hope you don't feel bothered about the fact that I gather some of my team for it"- he said opening the door of a meeting room. 

I feel how my hands start to sweat as soon as I entered. There were 5 other people in the room, these people I've never seen before. I vow deeply and sit, once again in front of all these strange people. Damn, once again my stage panic activates.

"Ok team, this is Stefany. She's the one that the kids have been talking nonstop about. We really need someone to take care of this, and what we've been looking for is someone really new, someone with a new perspective. However I must point out that I recognize that this kind of job to someone so young and with no experience in this field must be a cause of distress for the whole production team, but I have been reasured of her talent and the her compromise beyond everything. She's not just caught BTS's interest but she's also a recomendee from Park Seunghyun-seonsaengnim"- As soon as I hear the name of Seughyun I understand why everything had been so easy till there, why I was been given this chance. Park Seunhyung was my teacher, back in university, and one of the reasons I decided to come to Korea. She had been my mentor from early stages of my career and I had worked with her in several ocations... but I never thought I would hear her name so far away from my country town. I didn't know she had such important connections in the musical industry- "This is somehow a bizard way of recluting someone, but I have a good feeling about this, we should really give it a shot"- he concluded- "And with no further introdutions, I leave you with our new Visual producer"- I freeze. Completly... I was being signed as the new visual producer. I knew I was being hired high... but I  was expecting a head stylist or something like that... never head visual producer. 

A visual producer was in charge of: The visual concept, the photography and photobooks, de design of the cds, the styling of the kids, the planning for the promotions in music shows, the fanmeetings videos... without fear of lying... the visual producer was in charge of everything out of music and dance. I don't have to say that I had never expected something so big to drop in my life like that. After my all to obvious reaction of panic and the auto-hate of my impotent self... I had to decline the position. I was not the person for that kind of job, I had neither the experience nor the qualifications to make it.

"I'm sorry... I was not... informed about this"- I got near the PD and whisper in his ear after what felt like an eternity of them looking at the time lapse me.

"We are going to have a minute, you guys can return to your activities"- he informed to the team- "I will re-schedule the reunion for later this week"- hte other producers didn't comment anything further and all of them got out inmediately. They didn't even look back at me. I feel like my soul had left my body... so much shame- "What do you mean you weren't informed of this?"

"I... thought I was... being hired as a staff member"- I say- "Never expected to be postulated to this high up position"

"The kids didn't tell you?!"- he almost yelled- "Damn I send those two idiots to brief you... and they say they were going alone because I was gonna scare you...the "- he played roughly with his hair- "They didn't tell you what we were offering?"

"No... I thought I was being hired as a stylist"- I said sincerly. At this point I was more than ashamed of myself. I came there without any preparation, and haven't even asked what they wanted me to do... maybe I was that desperate.

"Damn"- he made me sit at his side- "This is why I wanted to go with them from the begining..."

"Sir I don't think you should be offering this to me... as you said before I have no experience nor the age to control this kind of responsability"

"You have nothing to panic over"- he said smiling at my reaction- "I know you can do it"- I really wanted to understand how all these people suddenly grew all this faith for a stranger like me. 

"I have no idea what you've heared about me, but I have to be straight and honest. I think this is too big for me. I've got no idea how it works and I don't think you need a rookie like me to manage such an important part of your promotional opperations"

"Don't you think I've already give it a hard thought?"- he said looking straight into my eyes- "Seunghyunie told me you were able, she was sure you could"

"I think all of you are overestimating me"- I say looking as straight into his eyes as he was.

"You always did this... that's why I had to come and see everything would go right"- the other voice came from outside the room. My spine trembled with Seunghyun's voice making me remembered the hellish weeks of almost none sleep... Seunghyun was in his early 40's, she was a korean-american that had opened up to latin culture and lived in Colombia as a teacher for most of her life. She was one of those people that can be called true gypsy lifestyle designer. She wondered around the world a lot, and at the same time build up a reputation as one of the best designers. I was greatfull for having such a good teacher, but... it had been hell on earth for four years- "This kid... she's not even sure of what she has to do and even with that has the balls to reject this"

"Oh God..."- I can almost feel the tiredness in my back just by looking at her- "What are you doing here?"- I say in spanish. She hit me in the head.

"Don't be rude you rascal, you should speak in the language we all understand"- she said- "I swear... it's been three years and not even a call"

"I wanted to forget..."- I say. I was that close to Seunghyun. She was my mentor, but she had exploted me so much while I was a student that I literally wanted nothing to do with her after graduation.

"Damn kid, you should listen to your seniors"- she said- "I knew you were in Seoul, but it took me a hell lot of time to find you. This friend here"- she said hugging the PD- "is trying to do something new in this... very boring world"- that was another of our disagreaments. While I loved pop culture, she said it was boring and baseless. We fought a lot over it- "I could only think you could do it, and I knew you were somewhere in Seoul... it's quite amazing how Hoseok was the one to find you first..."- I was confused about the whole connection map between these people... what was exactly the realtionship between my mentor, BTS and their producer?- "Let me explain this further... Bang Shi Hyuk is my childhood friend. I'm also connected to BTS by my nephew. I believe you've met him... Park Jimin"

"Oh..."- it was the only thing I could let my mouth pronounce.

"You weren't expecting this were you?"- she laughed looking at my dumb expression- "I knew I grew you well kid... but you have to have the same amount of faith we have in you"

"Seongsaengnim... I really don't think I can do it"- I say.

"And then I say you can"- she grabed my cheeks and them angrily- "You have a good team of people and if something goes wrong you can always call me"- she reasured- "I'm staying in Seoul for a while..."- she looked at my pained/confussed/WTF expression and strocked harder. I let a cry out- "JUST TAKE THE DAMN JOB, TAKE A ING CHANCE IN YOUR LIFE!"

"I ALREADY DID AND LOOK WHERE I AM!"- I yell as hard as her forgetting were I was- "! I DON'T WANT TO RUIN THEM TOO"

"You won't"- she hugged me- "You are good, you can take this..."- for some reason her hold made my eyes watery- "You should've called me if you were having a bad time you idiot... This ego of yours... I cannot understand"

"I'm sorry for interrupting your beautiful reunion, but I've got another meeting in five minutes"- Bang PD said- "I would want to hear your answer as soon as posible. I'll leave the contract and the folder of the full requierements in the table. I hope to hear about you in the next days"

"Yes sir"- I say shaking Seunghyun's grip and vowing to the PD that was about to leave the room.

"You can take this meeting room, but I think you have lot's to catch up with so I suggest a coffee?"- he said smiling to Seunghyun- "I thought I was the only one trying to scape from you witch'- he commented before almost running away. I see the mischevious glare on Seunghyun's eyes... they really must been very close to each other.

"I would like to kill him sometimes... but he's a really good with what he does. Let's do as he says and take some time to catch up"- I nod. 

It was amazing, everything that was happening, even meeting all this connections I thought I didn't have... As she suggested, we sat and talked for a lot of time. She told me about her resignation from my former universtity and that she was now consulting for different enterprices, that she had been called by Bang PD-nim to take care of this, but she had suggested me because she knew I was in love with this world, and she saw my potential while I was her... slave. 

"Stefany for Christ sake"- she said- "give this a chance. This kids... they're really good, their music is amazing and their are really trying to do something different in the idol world. Of course this has nothing to do with my overly talented, cute and excesively attractive nephew"

"Of course not"- I say laughing.

"This is perfect for you"- she says again- "Read the contract and just call me back tomorrow"

And... with that... she convinced me to give it a shot. After all, I was going to work hand by hand with one of the best rookie bands... And my own niece would kill me if I ed it up. If I was looking for a challenge in my life... this might as well be it. If I was to sell my soul to the devil, I was going to do it for this kind of shot... And the most similar to a devil was definetly Seunghyun, so I was about to do a deal with the devil... an under the table deal with the devil.

_______________________________________

Sorry, this chapter was another very uninteresting set of events, but I needed this to introduce the whole story. From here on, it's gonna be full BTS and Ssal I swear! Actually I am publishing the two chapters at the same time for this reason. Please enjoy the rest of the story. 

Fangirl corner:

They are so cute...