-51-

Reality of Reversi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind blew cruelly at the boys who were thinly dressed. Hopping off the van Jin drove over in, the rest of the boys first set off to the meeting place, leaving Jin to guard their vehicle some distance away.

With experience, they pulled their hoodies over their heads to block out as much of their faces as possible as they waited for the men to come. No one said a word, but NamJoon could easily tell that something was different this time. “Anything but drugs,” NamJoon thought to himself as he eyed his usually quiet surroundings suspiciously. It was not his first time in a black market as he had gone a couple of times in the past with the boys to run the man’s errands. Weapons were those exchanged usually. But with a change in meeting place, NamJoon could not help but suspect that it was not the usual. “Guys, later, I will do the exchange. You guys just take the things and leave when we can.” He instructed, trying to sound casual.

And at the appointed time, a black van emerged from far sight and headed towards them. Soon after, the door slid open and a few others came out.

The boys immediately noticed it was not the same people they had always met with when they were instructed to collect weapons illegally. The others were much younger, around the same age as the boys were. What they hadn’t noticed was a shadowed figure standing amidst the rest. It was not until he made his way to the front of the group did the boys realize.

 

“Kai.” NamJoon acknowledged as he took one step in front of his boys, “So I see these are the new boys you hang out with now.”

Kai just smirked but ignored everything NamJoon was saying. Instead, he went straight into business. “Where’s the money?”

 “Where’s the stuff?” NamJoon immediately shifted as well, cutting the chase.

“No money, no goods.”

This time NamJoon let out a soft laugh before his tone fell serious again. “No goods, no money.”

Silence engulfed both group of boys as Kai and NamJoon watched each other warily, waiting for the other to make a move first. Soon enough, NamJoon couldn’t help but break the gaze and scoffed in amusement, “Does he know he is doing business with you?” He commented cynically out of the blue, eyeing the rest of the boys around Kai.

“He does not need to know, I get my money and he gets his goods,” Kai replied arrogantly.

NamJoon continued on, his smile crooked with triumph, “Yeah I thought so too. If he knew, he would have definitely been here personally to do this… and give you a good beat up. Why are you here? Why are you not dead yet?”

They could not see it clearly but they all knew Kai was borderline annoyed by NamJoon’s statement. “Yah, you boys have no manners. What happened to that adorable boy that used to go around calling me ‘hyung~’ everyday? Why is it that every time each of you see me you have to say the same thing? Did you guys plan this out?” 

Sarcastically, NamJoon rebutted, “Hyung? That was before I knew what kind of a bastard you are. I see my boys know that trash like you should not be treated kindly. I am proud of them.”

Having enough, Kai took one step back and signalled for his group to reveal the goods. “Cut the crap, Kim Nam Joon. Give me my money and you can get the goods.”

NamJoon stuck out his hand to which TaeHyung and Jimin immediately placed the packs of money on it. Provocatively tapping his other palm with the money, he kept a careful distance between him and Kai before ordering Kai to open the boxes.

Kai hesitated, but gave in anyways after a while, determined to finish the deal soon. “Open it.” He instructed his men, to which they immediately slit the taped-up boxes with ease. Then using his chin, he indicated for NamJoon to check.

 

Maybe God was not listening to him enough.

 

There in the boxes laid the things NamJoon had wished they weren’t. NamJoon stood up and told the boys to take the goods as he was slowly handed the packs of money bit by bit to Kai while the boys moved boxes by boxes, effortfully controlling his expressions. But Kai caught it.

Just as the last of the envelope landed in Kai’s hands, he immediately waved it in front of the boys as though saying thank you. “What is this uneasiness I see? You kids didn’t expect it to be this? Ha.” He scoffed half-heartedly as he patted NamJoon on the chest with the envelope, showing off. “Time to grow up kids, these are the most profitable if you want to lead an easy life. Your boss have been doing this for a long time.” Kai said as he turned to leave.

Then he stopped again in his footsteps. Turning around and heading for TaeHyung, before grabbing him on the shoulder to get his attention. “Yah kid, you have a disabled younger brother right?” TaeHyung’s blood boiled at the term ‘disabled’ but Jimin held his arm, telling him to hold it in.

“Joon Young? Jung Young? Whatever. If you need to get medicine for him at a cheap price let hyung know. Hyung will help you. Or you can just steal some from there. Those are the ones you need.” He whispered while pointing to the boxes now in their hands, almost encouraging enough. No words came out of TaeHyung’s mouth but he broke the gaze immediately and shook Kai’s arm off.

Then with satisfaction from successfully provoking the boys, Kai headed for his van again followed by his men. “Kids, hyung is leaving, see you guys soon.”

 

Almost immediately after Kai turned to leave, NamJoon ordered for the boys to quickly head back to the van before they get caught by anyone. Then holding TaeHyung back by the arm as the rest of the boys went ahead, NamJoon forced a firm look on him.

“TaeHyung, don’t you even dream about it.”

 

 

 

 

“Give it to them.” The man ordered emotionlessly as he dug his hands through the endless packets of pills laid neatly in front of him, satisfied.

Extending his hands, Jin took the envelope of money from the bodyguard standing near the Man and slot it into his back pocket immediately for fear that they might ask for it back again like they do sometimes.

“You can leave now,” the young man conveyed as he smiled subtly in return.

The boys bowed and headed for the door, ready for some dinner. Lagging, TaeHyung sneaked a peek again at the boxes of pills but shook any thoughts he had out of his mind again immediately as NamJoon’s voice from earlier rang in his head.

“Get your together TaeHyung.” He reprimanded himself and was about to exit when something caught his ears.

 

“Find this girl.” The man commanded, his voice was stern and almost desperate as he handed the young man a wallet-sized photo.

Thinking that the Man was talking to him, TaeHyung turned to look. “Yes?”

The man shot TaeHyung a confused look before telling him coldly, “I’m not talking to you.” Then with a small nod, TaeHyung left the room after his friends, secretly glad that they were done for the night.

 

 

The chummy boys skipped home with their hands full with food they had bought on their way. The night was getting chillier and all the boys hastened their footsteps towards home, except one.

 

“Hyung!” TaeHyung called out, stuffing his hands into his pocket, as Jin turned around, “I’ll be dropping by the pharmacy, you guys can head home first I’ll be right back.”

The boys paused in their footsteps, their faces slightly uncomfortable but Jin quickly stepped up before anyone could say anything and told him to make it quick. Turning his heel, TaeHyung wiped his nose that had become drippy from the cold wind and jogged off in the direction of the pharmacy streets away, entirely ignoring the looks the other boys were throwing him.

 

“Hyung…” HoSeok was quick to share his disdain as soon as TaeHyung ran off determined.

Jin just patted the younger boy’s shoulder and a small smile formed awkwardly. “We all know that no matter what we say, TaeHyung is not going to stop. So let’s just avoid any kind of conflict from happening between us again, okay? Let him do what he wants.”

Giving in, the rest of them hurried home again.

 

TaeHyung grabbed the edge of the desk, his brows furrowed into a worried mess. He his lips for a second as he thought, before he asked again, “are you sure? How long will I have to wait?”. His knuckles bulged out from his hands as he heard the answer he did not want to hear. His eyes darted left and right a couple of times before he let go of his grip on the table and gave the nurse a light bow. Then he turned around to leave so that others could have their turn, his face had disappointment written all over it.

 

He pulled his coat closer as he stepped out of the automated door into the cold. Huffing out a deep sigh, he tried to shake the worry out of his mind and focused on returning home. Silently praying that JungKook will not have many relapses in the next month before he can get his medications replenished, he stuffed his hands into his pocket and started his way home. From a small distance away, a small voice called out to him, stopping him in his steps.

 

Slightly confused, he looked around to see if the person who called out to him was referring to someone else instead. Only when an old lady with a brilliant smile sitting by the side of the road on a stool near the clinic made undeniable eye contact with him, did he then take small steps forward. When he approached, he noticed her face was shrivelled in cold but her eyes sparkled with determination as she gestured at the wide array of accessories she had laid out on a blue mat in front of her.

 

“Would you like to choose one? I will sell it to you at a cheap price.” She exclaimed excitedly as she mindlessly picked out a few and threw it to the empty space near his feet, inviting him to look. Kindly, TaeHyung waved his hands shyly in front of him and explained that he didn’t use any accessories and was about to leave again when her hearty laughter caught him off-guard. “Young boy, I know you don’t use it of course! But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter