-13-

Reality of Reversi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind was exceptionally strong that evening and the temperature seemed to have dropped lower than previous nights, some of the boys headed home after supper while some headed off to do some things on their own. TaeHyung was one of them. Gripping the money firmly in his pocket, he paced towards the clinic at the end of the street, grateful that it was open 24 hours a day. His eyes sparkled with relief as he entered the clinic and with much confidence, asked for the 3 months-worth of antidepressants the clinic rushed him about. Waiting for the nurse to call for him, he sat at one of the stools and was about to doze off when a familiar figure caught his attention. Without even having to see the face, he knew from the hoodie that it was Ha Yeon. Her right sleeve was rolled up to her elbow and her left hand pressing a piece of gauze on her right arm. Aimlessly, she headed for a seat a couple of seats away from TaeHyung, obviously not noticing him as she rested her head back and closed her eyes for a moment. TaeHyung observed from the side of his eye the way she held the thin gauze over her right arm and knew that she just had a jab. Her eyes were shut but her eyebrows were furrowed into a worry mess. Her hair was messily pulled into a ponytail as though she had not put in any effort into her look at all, significantly different from her at school.

TaeHyung quickly turned his attention back though when the nurse called for him. Eagerly, he shot up in his seat and rushed to the counter to make payment and double-checked the medications. Pulling out a good half of the money he received, he slapped it on the counter and received the bag of medication in return. Bowing slightly at the nurse, he turned to make his way to the exit when he noticed a nurse approaching Ha Yeon to wake her up. “You may leave now Ms. Yoon Ha Yeon.” She announced softly. Ha Yeon gradually opened her eyes and gratefully bowed at the nurse, seemingly slightly in the dazed state. Routinely, she walked to the exit and towards the bus stop, with TaeHyung following behind. The weather was getting colder by the minute and even TaeHyung who was in layers felt the chills, let alone Ha Yeon who seemed to only be covered in a hoodie and jeans. The cold seemed to be getting to her too as she stuffed her hands into the pockets and quickened her pace. Similar to other days, Ha Yeon would look around desperately, keeping vigilant about her surroundings but today, she seemed slightly calmer. TaeHyung tagged behind Ha Yeon. He was eager to overtake her and rush for the bus that he noticed had arrived across the street but it was something about Ha Yeon that made him want to trail behind her instead.

The scene from that afternoon came back to him. The way her eyes lit up in fear and her unusual snap were fresh in his mind.

Arriving at the bus stop, HaYeon stood awkwardly amidst a few other middle-aged men who were also waiting for the bus. As the bus approached the station just a minute later, HaYeon heaved a sigh of relief and prepared to board the bus. Pushed with the midnight crowd of drunk men and women, TaeHyung was forced onto the bus even before Ha Yeon. Distracted for a moment, TaeHyung looked for an empty seat at the last row and planted himself there, prepared for the long bus ride home when Ha Yeon had unexpectedly sat next to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter