-26-

Reality of Reversi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“This.” HaYeon pointed without a doubt as she lounges forward and hurled herself against the machinery. “This looks good.”

TaeHyung groaned in return as he shook his head. “Not this please.” But HaYeon would not budge. Instead she pushed the boys into the booth with both her index fingers and excitedly dropped money into the side of the machine.

“Come on, it’ll be fun having our photos taken together.” She cooed as the two boys sat on the seat. “Besides, it’s not every day that we get to come out together. It’s nice to have some memories captured.”

The two boys just sighed but eventually gave in. They knew that there was no point in trying to argue their way out again.

“OOOHH IT’S STARTING!” HaYeon exclaimed as she took a big step back to where the boys were waiting and smiled with her hands in a peace sign. Awkwardly, the two boys eyed her and gave a stiff smile as well just as the camera snapped. “YAH! What is with that face?” HaYeon complained as she went forward to check the photo.

“We have never done this alright. And it’s so weird smiling like this.” Jimin said as TaeHyung nodded in agreement.

This time, HaYeon rolled her eyes. “Just have fun. Come on.”

 

Giving in, the boys took a step closer to HaYeon in attempt to fit better into the frame, when HaYeon took an uncomfortable step forward. “Ahem… I erm… It’ll be better if I stand in front of you guys … or you’ll block me with your bodies”, she said awkwardly, separating herself from the close proximity with the boys as she wiped off the moment of anxiety with a cheer. “Now let’s take a good picture so that I can finally have a nice one to keep.” 

 

“This one’s good. Where should I put it?” HaYeon pondered out loud as she fiddled through her bag for a place to put her new pictures when a familiar voice rang in her head. Amidst the crowded plaza and the hubbub of noises, a manly voice called out to her in a deep tone in front of her. It made her stop in her footsteps as chills ran down her spine and she took a nervous gulp.

 

She could recognize that voice anywhere, any day.

 

Squeezing the edge of her picture in her hand, HaYeon continued to look down in her bag, refusing to face the tall boy towering her. Her lips began to quiver uncontrollably and her eyes watered. Fear filled every ounce of her body as she whimpered slightly to the ground.

Defensive, TaeHyung and Jimin protectively surrounded HaYeon and blocked her from the watchful eyes of passing onlookers and most importantly, him who caused such fear to her.

 

“What do you want?” TaeHyung forced out between gritted teeth in a soft, threatening tone.

Without saying anything, Kai patted TaeHyung on the head to which was violently pushed away. Humiliated, Kai’s eyes grew bigger with fury but was masked behind a cheerful tone, not trying to gain unwanted attention from passers-by, “Yah, you crazy boy, aren’t you happy to see hyung?”

When he heard no response, his face fell grim as he forcefully tried to push the boys away and said in a whisper. “Whether you are happy or not to see me, I am not here today to see you. I’m here to see her.”

“Why do you keep looking for her? Can’t you tell she doesn’t really want to see you? Who are you to her anyways?” Jimin spat boldly, his face stoned in an identical look of anger as with TaeHyung.

Kai smirked, his hands tapping the two boys on their shoulders in a friendly manner. With an ever so calm and relaxed voice, he looked Jimin then to TaeHyung, “She is my girlfriend.”

At Kai’s response, HaYeon let out a shriek as she covered her ears, dropping the photos on the floor.

“Girlfriend?” TaeHyung and Jimin said simultaneously.

Suppressing his shock, TaeHyung just stepped closer to Kai, their bodies only inches apart, and let out a sarcastic scoff, “Is this how a girlfriend reacts when meeting her boyfriend?”

 

This time, Kai smiled. Taking one step forward, he took advantage of the gap between Jimin and TaeHyung as he bumped shoulders with TaeHyung but said nothing as he knelt down before the girl.

“HaYeon uh, I told you I was going to meet you again because I have something important to ask you.” But before Kai could continue further, Jimin hurled Kai away from HaYeon who shook more than ever in fear as she turned her back towards him and hugged herself, trying to ignore the looks people that had gathered around her were giving her.

Pushing him out of the way with great force again, causing Jimin to fall to the floor, Kai once again took opportunity of the time TaeHyung went to help his friends up and knelt down to HaYeon’s eye level again. This time, his face lost the fake smile he was wearing as he asked in a subtle tone, straight to the point, “Yah…” His voice softened, but still stern, “So what happened to … it? Did you do as I told you? Where did you go the past year?”

 

HaYeon knew right at the moment why Kai had come for her. It was to ask her about this. Memories from the past that were forcefully suppressed gushed back into her mind as her eyes fell blank and she bite on the tip of her thumb in utter horror while trying to control herself from screaming and crying.

Right after he had asked his fill, TaeHyung and Jimin pulled him up by the collar and threw him aside, nearly colliding into some of the onlookers before he could even get an answer. Or in that case, force out an answer from the girl. “YAH! Answer me!” Finally Kai roared as his body met the ground.

On cue, HaYeon stood up, the tip of her finger still nervously bitten between her teeth as tears ran down her face, creating and awful mess of smudged make up and pink patches. Shaking her head, she stared at Kai as she took steps back.

“Aish,” Kai resigned, his face returning to the smirk he had when they first began as he dissed, “that girl used to be cute, now she’s just a weird kid isn’t she?”

Without warning, HaYeon then ran off in the opposite direction as she squeezed through the crowd with a shriek and disappeared amidst the sea of people. After a short pause, TaeHyung caught on to the situation and informed Jimin that he would chase after HaYeon first, afraid that they may lose her in that state.

 

Clenching his fist in one pocket, Jimin watched as HaYeon and TaeHyung disappeared into the crowd. “Why are you doing this to her? What has she ever done to you to make you come after her like this?” Jimin spat, holding himsel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter