-44-

Reality of Reversi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TaeHyung’s phone beeping echoed through the empty classroom. Leaning the broom on his body, he takes it out of his back pocket and checked the latest message from Jin reminding him to get some medication for HaYeon on the way home. Without even bothering to reply, he stuffed his phone back and hurried along his duty to clean the classroom. It was already 2 hours past the end of classes but with the unexpected leave of JiMin who had gone off to work, he was left all alone to clean the entire classroom for the day.

With his sleeves rolled up and his hair damp from perspiration, he lifted the last of the chairs left onto the tables and called it a day. Stuffing the cleaning materials into the corner of the class hastily, he grabbed his things and left.

 

The streets were quieter than usual at 6pm in the evening, the sun in the back was setting gracefully as TaeHyung made his way home from the nearby pharmacy after purchasing some medication for HaYeon. He fiddled with his phone before putting it to his ear, waiting for the receiver to pick up but to no avail. Dialing again, he kept his pace, wondering if she was just sleeping. When his call was not received, he thought about it and dialed one last time.

On the final ring, the phone was picked up from the other end.

“Hello? Yoon Ha Yeon? Are you sleeping?” TaeHyung unknowingly smiled from relief and began jogging home. “You’re alone with JungKook right? Are you hungry? Do you want me to get some food?”

When he received no reply, he stopped in his tracks.  “Are you okay?” Briefly, he heard faint deep muffles coming from the other side, so faint that he would have almost missed it had he not stopped. Heaving a sigh of relief again, he checked to see if it was perhaps due to the unresponsive reception in the area he was in. However, he brushed it off and ended the conversation with a quick note that he will be back soon and for her to get some rest. 

 

The key rattled in the key hole before the door clicked open and TaeHyung set foot in to escape the decreasing temperature. Rubbing his hands together, he quickly shut the door and mindlessly kicked off his shoes.

“Ahhh it’s so col-.” He mumbled to himself, peeling off his jacket as he entered the living room, only to be invited by a sight he did not wish to see.

 

“YAH YOON HA YEON!” He yelled as he scooped down and knelt next to her in the middle of the living room floor where she laid motionlessly. Bringing a hand to her forehead, he was appalled to find that she was burning up more than he had expected and her face as white as sheet. Desperately, he called out her name numerous times, attempting to shake her awake but to no avail. Looking around the house as though he did not know what to do, he ruffled his hair before turning to JungKook as though he had an answer.

“What happened? Did she just faint here? What should I do? I should take her to the doctor right?” He spurted out mindlessly as he paced around the house gathering his wallet and a coat for HaYeon. “Oh and I need a blanket too. AH HWANHEE!” He quickly rushed into the room upon realization and hurriedly wrapped HwanHee in a blanket. Then, he took to wrapping the blanket around his body hastily, HwanHee resting on his chest in a messy, unstable bundle. “I’m sorry HwanHee but JungKook oppa can’t take care of you so just bear with it while we send your mom to the clinic okay?”

 

Returning back into the living room, he then leaned forward and lifted HaYeon onto his back, slipped on a pair of mismatched slippers speedily and left for the nearest clinic after informing JungKook that he will be home soon.

 

The cold evening wind ate his feet that were barely covered and the night sky began to darken with each passing minute. TaeHyung found himself struggling to keep up his pace with a girl on his back and baby in front. Balancing HaYeon on his back, he attempted to hail for a taxi but none stopped for him. Left with no choice, he embarked on the journey towards the hospital on foot, hoping that someone somewhere will lend a hand.

But sadly that night, the people on the streets seemed colder than the night wind and suddenly TaeHyung found himself all alone, the responsibility over a sick girl and a helpless baby weighing down on him.  Literally.

 

 

Had it been an hour?

Or maybe two? TaeHyung was not sure. All he knew was that he had been pacing about the aisle leading up to the room where HaYeon was getting treated for the longest time, HwanHee still strapped to his body. Albeit anxious about HaYeon’s condition, TaeHyung rocked the baby laying comfortably on his chest comforting her and fixed the temporary swaddle. Gently, he rubbed her cold hands and feet and mentally reprimanded himself for forgetting to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter