3. "I'm Getting Married."

Because of Our Dads [Edited]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HyeoEun’s POV

 

Mum was recovering, faster than I had expected. Maybe she was putting up a show. I mean, I was still devastated from my dad’s passing but she acted as if the passing was nothing. I should brace myself for Gyeo-Ul’s emergency call about mum’s impending break down. Gyeo-Ul was expectedly still the same Gyeo-Ul from before. She did cry at the funeral, but she was just like me, learning to deal and adapt as soon as possible. I’m really proud of my younger sister, and jealous at the same time. She had managed to find a job and a fiancé BEFORE she had graduated, as an accountant at a shipping company where her fiancé was also working, in Mokpo. After my father’s passing, her family moved back to Seoul for some reason, though she wouldn’t say why. Of course she wouldn’t tell me; we had quarreled right before she left for Mokpo and we hadn’t spoken for over a year, until our dad passed away.

 

I put everything off my mind and tried to focus on the interview. I was next and I didn’t expect myself to be picked. The other interviewees were younger than me and looked like potential stars. Either way, I wasn’t going to let go of this opportunity. I went in and there was a panel of judges. After a couple of questions, they gave me another script and 5 minutes to access the script and act it out. I gave it my best shot and finish the scene in time. Thank God I did Hamlet in London. Playing Ophelia was a piece of cake. The judges nodded and praised me on my good memory. They also added that I should not run off in the middle of auditions if I am really passionate about acting. Overall, I think I did well.

 

Right after my interview ended, I headed straight for the Chinese restaurant in Hongdae. I was shown to a room where my family members and Kyuhyun’s parents were chatting.  The room had a door that lead to a balcony. I bowed and greeted everyone. At that moment the doors opened behind me. Kyuhyun, with a hoodie covering his head, walked in. He too bowed and greeted everyone, and I bowed back in respect. We took our seats next to each other, and the waiters came in with our food. As the two families were eating and asking about each other, everyone jumped when Kyuhyun banged his chopstick on the table and said, “Can we just get to the real reason we’re here?”

 

Ahbeonim placed his chopsticks gently on the chopstick stand and spoke. “I guess Kyuhyun knows why we are here. It’s time to talk about the marriage.” I frowned. I hadn’t expected him to remember it. Oh right, my dad did bring it up in the hospital.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter