Chapter 7

Within The Night

“Behave!” Kibum’s mother said when both boys left the table and ran upstairs to her son’s bedroom.

Kibum giggled but yelped when he was shoved to the side by his best friend, making him collide with the wall. He shouted, displeased, but Minho didn’t even spare him a look. He continued to run until he reach Kibum’s room, opening the door and throwing himself on the bed. When Kibum passed the door of his own room, Minho was lying on the bed, grinning like he had won a marathon.

Leave it to his best friend to do a competition out of everything.

With that thought, he rolled his eyes and slumped on his bed, next to Minho. The two of them stayed that way for a while in complete silence. Contrary to what Kibum felt with other people, moments of silence with Minho were actually nice. He didn’t feel the need to fill them like he usually did. It wasn’t uncomfortable. Maybe because Minho had been a quiet kid and Kibum was already used to it. He wasn’t like that anymore but sometimes he liked to sit and think and not talk about anything and he was the only one who could do that without boring Kibum.

Suddenly there was a beep disturbing the peaceful silence and the both of them groaned. Kibum his side and stretched his hand to his phone, unlocking it and reading the text. He chuckled lightly and Minho found it strange, peeking from his shoulder, trying to see what made him laughed.

“Who is that?”

"Just some guy from my class. Woohyun. He's sweet."

"Yeah?” Minho grimaced but Kibum was too busy typing a reply to see. “Should I be worried about my current status in your life?"

"Hm, maybe.” Kibum said, feigning disinterest, just to . “He's really, really sweet."

Minho frowned. "He is? Does he do this?"

"What- Yah!” Kibum suddenly squealed when he felt two arms sneak around him from behind. He tried to move but Minho’s vice grip didn’t allow it. “What are you doing?”

"I'm hugging my best friend." He simply said.

"Drop it, Choi."

Minho grinned with his eyes closed and snuggled more into Kibum. "No."

"Minho, move. You are too close, it’s uncomfortable."

"Why?"

"Minho."

"Does it turn you on?"

"Choi Minho, I swear to God, let go of me, you !"

"Kibummie, don't be mean."

"I should have a camera always with me. Who would believe me if I told them that the star athlete of our college could turn into a whiny baby in my hands?"

"No one. That's why I only do this when we're alone."

"You're an idiot."

"But you love me."

Kibum scoffed but it was true. More than Minho would ever know. They were lying on their sides, Minho still hugging Kibum from behind. Suddenly he felt a ghost of a touch against his neck. He could swear it was Minho's lips but maybe the boy had fallen asleep and that was why he wasn't conscious of this action.

But then he felt them again. This time, there was no way it wasn't intentional. Before he could ask Minho what was happening, the touch intensified. Kibum widened his eyes, ready to turn around when instead of lips there were teeth nibbling his neck.

"M-Minho." He called, weakly. He didn't understand what was happening but he couldn't say that he didn't like it. The slightly older of the two sighed and leaned more into the touch, closing his eyes. Only to have them wide open in the next second.

He felt a sharp pain on his neck were Minho’s teeth had been nibbling before. But now the bites weren’t gentle. Now they were penetrating and piercing, intending on hurting him.  Kibum wanted to scream for him to stop, for help, for anything that could stop the unbearable pain but his voice seemed to be stuck on his throat. No sound came out of his mouth and he was growing desperate.

Kibum wanted to step away from Minho’s hold but it seemed impossible. His body was slowly starting to get numb and he was sure that Minho was going to kill him because-

“Kibum! Kibum, honey, wake up!” His mother’s voice entered his ears and he gasped in shock, sitting up straight on his bed, breathing hard. “Calm down.”

“Mom, it was so… Oh my god, he just…. And blood, there was blood. I-I don’t know what-“

“Hey, Kibum, breath slowly.” She said, his back in an attempt to calm him down. “It was only a dream.”

“It seemed so real.” Kibum whined, hiding his face on his hands. “It started out so good. Minho was here-“

“Bummie, drink this.” His grandmother entered his room, holding a mug with tea, interrupting him. “It will calm you down.”

He sighed, picking up the mug, drinking a sip. “I’m sorry for waking up you both.”

“It doesn’t matter.” She said, combing his sweaty fringe with her fingers. “It’s not your fault.”

“Thank you, grandma.”

The old lady smiled at him and kissed his forehead, making him feel immediately relaxed. She always had that effect on him. Kibum was glad it still worked because he wanted nothing more than to forget what happened.

“Finish your tea and try to go back to sleep, Kibummie.”

“Yes, it’s your first day of school tomorrow. You need to rest.”

He smiled at the women and nodded. “I’ll try, I swear.”

“See you tomorrow, then.”

He watched them as they exited his room and looked one last time to him to make sure he was okay. Kibum smiled only to not worry them more and when his mother closed the door behind, did he let himself fall on the bed.

What has started as a fond memory for him, soon turned into a nightmare. He sighed, not knowing what to think of it. He had been having those kinds of strange dreams lately.

It had been three months since he last saw Minho. After that faithful night, Kibum had tried to visit him again but no one open the door and people even said that no one lived there anymore. Every time he tried to call Minho, the phone didn’t even ring. It seemed like Minho was trying at all costs to not have any contact with him and after the first month Kibum gave up. There was no use in fighting for someone who was clearly not doing the same.

He his bed and looked at the digital clock on his bedside table. It had already passed 30 minutes since he last looked at it but he just couldn’t seem to be able to go back to sleep. What is he had one of those dreams again? He wanted to preserve Minho’s memories as good things, even though their friendship was hanging by a threat. But those dreams were so vivid that it was starting to make him afraid of even thinking about the boy.

He sighed once again and picked his phone going straight to the texts’ inbox. His finger hovered Minho’s conversation and he had an internal battle with himself. Should he try again to talk to him? The last texts he sent were still pending; none of them has been read.  Groaning, Kibum decided that enough was enough. He deleted every message that he and Minho had exchange and laid his phone back to his original position, next to the mug of tea.

If Minho didn’t want to have anything to do with him anymore, he was doing the same. He was giving up for good. No more attempts in trying to have some sort of contact with him, he was done. Sighing, the boy lay on his side, knowing how this wouldn’t work. He had been promising the exact same things to himself every month and in the end he always ended up breaking them.

 

**

“I was thinking about going alone.” Woohyun said, as soon as Kibum appeared on the place they agreed to meet.

“Hi! Sorry, I’m late.” Kibum apologized, looking around. “Where’s Amber?”

“I don’t know, probably at home.” Woohyun answered, looking around too, and then staring at his friend. “You two are the worst friends for someone who likes to be punctual. I’m serious.”

“Here I am!” Amber said, walking slowly. “Hi, buddies. What’s up?”

“You really talk like a lady.” Woohyun alleged, starting to walk followed by the other two.

“Like the lady I am, you mean! Key, are you ready for school?”

“I think so. The Summer is already over.” He shrugged as he walked side by side with the girl.

All the way to school, Amber and Woohyun managed to talk about lots of things. Kibum was trying to focus on their conversation but his thoughts insisted in concentrate on the dream he had, so he ended up not hearing anything his friends were saying and nod sometimes to pretend he was paying attention. In some minutes, they were walking in the college’s corridors.

“Hey Key, are you listening?” Amber asked, hitting him with her elbow. “You’re too quiet today.”

“Oh, sorry, I’m nervous about the first day of school!” Key answered, pretending to be really excited. He was thinking about something to speak of, when Woohyun’s voice interrupted him.

“Hello.” Woohyun talked to a girl who was passing him. “You were at my class last year,” He added, but the girl just kept walking, leaving a disappointed Woohyun standing where he was, looking at her.

“The way you flirt is shameful.” Amber said, patting his shoulder. “You need to improve it.” Both Amber and Key giggled ending up laughing really loud and making Woohyun roll his eyes and walk faster than them.

“I need to make new friends.” Woohyun commented, shaking his head.

“Amber” Key said, making both his friends look at him. “You… were at my class last year!” He repeated, and this time even Woohyun had to laugh.

However, Kibum’s good mood ended when he saw a familiar face entering one of the classroom’s doors.

“I gotta go! I’ll be right back.” Kibum said, not leaving any time for Amber or Woohyun to answer him. “Yah!” He yelled as he started to run. “Wait!”