Chapter 11

Within The Night

Kibum decided to stop looking at his watch and gave up on waiting for Woohyun. His friend was always the same. Always talking about being punctual when he was the one always arriving late, making them wait for him. When Kibum was with Amber it was easier to wait, since they were always talking and the time went by quickly, but that day Amber had to miss classes so he was by himself and he couldn’t bear to wait anymore, so he got up from the bench and grabbed his phone to text Woohyun telling him he was waiting in the classroom instead.

However, as soon as he started to walk, he froze. He couldn’t believe what his eyes were seeing. They were certainly playing a trick on him. After all the months of not seeing him, his eyes were reproducing images of Minho in front of him. It had to be that because Kibum couldn’t even grasp the idea of Minho being back in town and not telling him.

He continued to follow him with his gaze, still in the same place, still shocked beyond words. Only did he realize that what he was looking at was not a fragment of his imagination when Minho collided with someone and turned around to apologize, bowing.

It was like lightning hit him. His legs started to work on their own and soon he was walking behind Minho but still not too close. Kibum didn’t know how he was managing to stay so calm and compose when all he wanted was to run to Minho and lock him in his arms so that he could never escape. At the same time, he also wanted to scream and cry at him for leaving without saying anything.

Somewhere along the way, Minho seemed to notice that someone was behind him and he stopped. He slowly turned around like he knew already who it was and was afraid of seeing it. When he was completely turned and his eyes were on Kibum, the latter felt the world spinning around him until there was nothing more than him and Minho.

“You’re…” He started, his voice hoarse, barely a whisper. He coughed and started again. “You’re back.”

“Kibum.”

He wanted to cry. He haven’t heard Minho calling his name in ages and it hurt to think of how much he missed it. “When did you get back?”

“A few days ago.”

“Why did you tell me?”

Minho reached forward but then shook his head and stayed in the same place. “Why should I tell you?”

“Why should you- why should you tell me? Maybe because I’m your best friend. Maybe because I’ve spent the whole summer worried about you. Maybe-“

“I didn’t ask for any of that.” Minho interrupted him and successfully shut him up. “Did I, Kibum? Did you hear me asking for that?”

“Why are you acting like that? Is it still because of the accident?”

“Forget it.” The taller asked, sighing. “And stay away from me.”

When Minho began to turn away, Kibum grabbed his arm. “No, you have to explain it to me! I’ve waited this whole time to hear it from you.”

“Let go of me, Kibum.”

The grip on the other’s arm turned stronger and he shook it. “Why did you leave in the first place?”

“You’re making a scene.” Minho said, through gritted teeth. “I told you why I had to leave.”

“Do you know how stupid you sound right now? You didn’t tell me anything, you just-“

“Minho, there you are!”

Suddenly, a girl appeared out of nowhere and attached herself to Minho’s arm. Kibum hastily took a step back letting go of Minho’s other arm and stared at her, bewildered. He wasn’t expecting someone to appear so suddenly, let alone someone who would grab Minho so comfortably like that.

“Oh, you were talking with someone.” She added sounding embarrassed. “I’m sorry, my name is Krystal. And you are?”

Before Kibum could introduce himself, Minho pushed her back. “It doesn’t matter who he is.”

“Minho-“

“I don’t want to have anything to do with you anymore, Kibum.” He took a deep breath like he was struggling to say something. “Do not come near me.”

Kibum felt his throat and his eyes burning because of the tears he was trying to hard to keep from falling and tightened his lips, looking at the side. Only when Minho was already walking away with Krystal, did he manage the courage to talk. “You can try to fool me but I know you better than anyone Minho! And I know you don’t mean that.” He felt his voice cracking so he had to stop and breathe. “I just hope you realize it before it’s too late.”

Kibum followed Minho and Krystal with his gaze until it became too blurry from the unleashed tears. He blinked and some of them escaped, making their way through his cheeks. He hastily pushed this jacket’s sleeve and whipped his tears, sniffling. Breathing deeply, he tried to avoid people’s curious gazes and made his way to the bathroom with his head down.

When he finally entered the bathroom, he sighed and looked at the mirror. His eyes were puffy and his nose and cheeks red, anyone would know he had been crying. He putted his arm over his eyes and sobbed, finally letting go now that he was alone.

Kibum was so lost in his crying that he didn’t even heard when the door opened and someone approached him. He squealed when two arms circled around him and turned to find whom the owner of the arms was.

“Taemin.” He whispered, breathless, letting his forehead touch the other’s shoulder. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m the one who does the questions here. Why are you crying?” He asked, lifting the other’s face and whipping his tears with his thumbs. “This is gross, you have snot mixed with tears.”

Kibum laughed and smacked his arm. “You were so much more cute when I met you. Now you’re just a brat.”

“But this brat made you laugh. What happened to you, pumpkin?”

“When will you stop with these horrid nicknames?”

Taemin shrugged and showed him a smug smile. “Never.”

“You’re impossible.”

"Don’t you like me this way?”

“No.”

“Lies. You love me.” Taemin shrugged again while he watched Kibum compose himself in front of the mirror. “So will you tell me what happened?”

“It doesn’t matter, Taemin.”

“According to the way you were crying, I would say that it does matter.”

Kibum sighed and approached Taemin, pushing him a little. Before he could say anything else, his phone started to vibrate in his back pocket and he pulled it out. Woohyun’s name was on the screen and he sighed, looking at Taemin. “Don’t worry, okay? I have to go now, see you later!”

 

One more chapter! They finally meet again.