Chapter 10

Within The Night

Jonghyun was passing around the house without knowing what to do. How was he supposed to say to Minho that he couldn’t let him be with Kibum? He had been the most excited when he told them they could come back to Seoul only because of the idea of reuniting with his best friend. Jonghyun was genuinely happy for him because he could finally return to his normal life.

Minho had been learning all the things he needed to learn during all the months they were aboard and Jonghyun was proud to tell that he was the fastest learner he saw in a few years. He was always so eager for some knowledge, some sort of help that could get him through the blood thirst. Everyday he tried harder and eventually he did it. He was now at absolute control of his hunger.

And now, Jonghyun had to tell me that he couldn’t meet Kibum. He already knew that Minho wasn’t going to take that well. All his months of effort and training were going to waste. Jonghyun understood him but he also could see how Jinki was right.

He really didn’t want anyone to go through what he and Jinki had. It was too painful and it was what broke them apart. To have Minho, of all people, to walk that path… No, Jonghyun couldn’t allow it. Minho was a good person; he wouldn’t be able to live with the guilt of having almost killed his friend.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard keys jingling and soon enough the front door was being opened and Minho and Krystal walked in. The girl ran to the couch and flung herself for it ending up almost on top of Jonghyun. She snuggled on his side and closed her eyes, smiling peacefully. His arm found its way around her shoulders and settled there, hand caressing her arm.

“How was it?”

“Good but Minho walks too much. I’m really tired now.” She yawned and moved her head so it was resting on Jonghyun’s thighs. “Oppa, we met a friend of Minho but it wasn’t Kibum although he was really cute too.”

Jonghyun’s ears perked at that and he looked at Minho who was busy doing something in the kitchen. “Who did you meet?”

“Jinki hyung.”

“What?” He asked, lifting Krystal’s head from his lap to get to Minho. “Did he say anything to you?”

“Yeah, something stupid about not wanting me near Kibum.”

Jonghyun gulped and stared at Minho’s back while he washed his hands on the sink. “He’s right. You can’t meet Kibum.”

“What do you mean…” Minho said, slowly and turned around even slower. His muscles were tense and his eyebrows furrowed. “I can’t meet Kibum?”

“It’s not safe.”

Minho scoffed and took a step closer. “How is it not safe? I’m in absolute control over my hunger, I won’t attack him.”

“Still… I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Jonghyun, you don’t understand, I-“

“No, Minho.” He interrupted the other with a stern gaze. “Listen to me. You are not meeting Kibum and if you, by any chance, you see him, you’ll have to say that you don’t want to be friends anymore.”

“What? I can’t do that, he’ll know I’m lying.”

“Then you’ll have to convince him.”

“No. No!” Minho shook his head and clenched his fists. He stared at Jonghyun, angry and feeling betrayed. “Why do I have to do this? Why?”

“It’s better that way.”

“For whom? Who is this better for?” Minho shouted, enraged. By the time he did it, Krystal was already in the kitchen with them, standing a little aside.

“For you and for-”

“Not for me, that’s for sure!” He said, gripping Jonghyun’s collar and shaking him. Suddenly, a thought ran through his head. “Did you talk to Jinki? Was it him?” Minho sensed Jonghyun tense and let go of him, snorting. “It was, wasn’t it? God, Jonghyun, when will you learn that nothing that you do will make him come back to you?”

“Minho!” Krystal scolded, widening her eyes since it was a hard topic for Jonghyun. Minho knew it and he mentioned it because he was angry. But nothing justified the flash of hurt that went through Jonghyun’s eyes.

“Sorry, I-“

Jonghyun began to talk without letting him finish. “I’ve already said what needed to be said. I hope you don’t make me give you an order.”

“Jonghyun-“

“I’m going out.”

He was gone in the next second and Minho sighed, leaning on the counter and closing his eyes, pressing his temples with his fingers. He felt a sharp pain on his head and hissed, looking at side to find Krystal staring at him.

“What?”

“You shouldn’t have said that.”

Minho rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. “I know.”

“Then why did you do it?”

“I don’t know, Krystal.”

Minho began to walk to his room and Krystal followed close behind. “It was stupid. And mean.”

“I know.” He repeated, lying on the bed. “Can you please leave now? I want to rest and I need to be alone.”

Minho didn’t hear her reply but he couldn’t feel her presence anymore so it meant that she left his room. He was thankful for that, he really needed to be alone to think. What was he going to do? He couldn’t go against Jonghyun’s wishes but the idea of not being able to be friends with Kibum killed him inside. If he couldn’t be with him what was the point of the last months?

The days he spent training and controlling himself were all going to waste. It was only the prospect of getting his live back to normal that kept him going but without it, what was he supposed to do? Sure, he had to be in control around other humans but if it was only for that he could have taken more time.

Minho his side and closed his eyes when he heard the door being open again. “Soojung, please, I want to-“

“Can I stay with you, please?” She asked, with a quiet voice. “I don’t want to be alone.” He sighed and nodded and in no time, Krystal was lying beside him, her side so that she could stare directly at him. She smiled at him and grabbed his hand. “I know this was not what you expected but I know oppa has a good reason to tell you to do this.”

“How am I supposed to be away from him? If he sees me, he will come to me, I’m sure.”

“You’ll have to-“

“Kibum will know that I’m lying.” He turned to lay on his back and stared at the ceiling. “He knows me better than anyone. I really don’t know how I’ll do this.”

“Everything’s going to be okay, Minho, I’m sure.”

“No, it’s not.” He denied, smiling sadly at her. “If I can’t even be friends with him, nothing’s going to be okay.”

“Don’t be sad, please. We’ll figure something out.”

“I hope so.” Minho mumbled with trembling lips. He squeezed her hand trying to show her, he was alright. “Thank you, Soojung.”

“It’s nothing.” She flinched his forehead and he hissed in fake pain. “Idiot.” The girl closed her eyes, tired but after a while she sighed and Minho looked at her. “Jonghyun oppa is not back yet. Do you think he’ll be okay?”

“Yes.” He said, trying to convince them both. “I’m sure he just needed some time alone.”

 

One more chapter :)

I hope you're still liking it! Please, don't forget to tell me what you think.