Chapter 20

Within The Night

Jinki couldn’t believe in what he was about to do.

He waited until he was sure everyone was asleep and forced the window to open it and enter the room.  He had been waiting the whole week for this opportunity. No one could know he was there, about to do what he was going to do.

In quick but silent steps, he crossed the room and reached the bed, sitting on it and watching the other one sleeping. He looked very calm and serene and Jinki found himself smiling gently at the view.

He quickly shook his head when he noticed what he was doing and moved closer to the lying body on the bed, going as far as to touch his forehead. It was burning and he hissed, causing the other to stir a little on his sleep.

Jinki got up from the bed and went to the little bathroom, wetting a towel and brought it back to the room, placing it on the top of the other’s head. He looked at him and sighed, shaking his head, picking up the towel again and turned it the other way.

When he placed it again on the other’s head, a hand suddenly grabbed his wrist and Jinki jumped on the bed, a bit startled.

“What are you doing here?”

Jinki grabbed the hand that was grabbing him and pushed it a little until it let him go. “I’ve heard you been having nightmares.”

“That good for nothing Taemin.” He scoffed, his voice barely audible. “Was this his big plan? Making you pity me so you could come here?”

“Want to tell me about the nightmares are about? What’s been bothering you so much?”

“Why are you here, Jinki? I don’t have the energy to argue with you.”

Jinki looked at the other who still had his eyes closed. “I’m not here to argue, Jonghyun.”

“What are you here for, then?”

“I was worried-“

Jonghyun laughed without feel. “Worried about me? That’s new! I must be looking awful then. Am I on verge of death?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Jinki temper started to flare and he was already regretting his decision. “Your poor excuse of a boyfriend asked me to help you and here I am. If you don’t want my help, just say so and I’ll leave right this moment!”

“I never said I needed your help, to be honest.” Jonghyun’s eyes were now open but he didn’t make the effort to even sit up to looked directly at Jinki. “I don’t even know what went through that thick head of him to think I would want your help.”

“So it isn’t true what he said?”

“About what?” Jonghyun wanted to know. “The nightmares?”

“No. About you whispering my name in your sleep…” Jinki told him, voice hoarse and calm. “About wanting me near you… About me being the only person you could trust to actually tell what those nightmares are about. Is that a lie, Jonghyun? Is it?”

Still refusing to meet Jinki’s eyes, Jonghyun closed his fists. “I don’t know where he got those ideas from.”

“Is that a lie, Jonghyun? That’s what I asked you.”

The slightly younger frowned and met Jinki’s gaze, angered. “What difference does it make to you if it’s a lie or not? You never cared before, it’s not like you will start caring now!”

"You’re such an ungrateful idiot!” Jinki screamed, getting up from the bed, forgetting that no one was supposed to know he was there. “Here I am, trying to help you and look how you talk to me!”

“I didn’t ask for you help, Jinki. I don’t need your help!”

“Yes, you do!”

“Why? Why would you think that?”

“Because I know you, Jonghyun. I know you better than anyone. I know you need help. You want to talk about those nightmares and yet, you have no one you can talk to.”

“That’s not true… I have plenty of people I can talk to about them.”

“So why don’t you? Why did Taemin felt so desperate that he had to ask me?” When Jonghyun turned his head to look at the floor, Jinki sighed. “Why are you so afraid of talking about them?”

“I’m…”

“You know you can trust me, Jonghyun.” Jinki spoke softly to make the other continue. “We might not be what we were but you know me…”

Jonghyun suddenly laughed and stared at Jinki. “I must be hallucinating. That’s it…” He sat up on the bed and rubbed his eyes. “In real life, you would never come to my house willingly and tell me all those things. It’s impossible.”

“Jonghyun-“

“No, it’s okay.” He shook his head and scooted closer to Jinki, going as far as to rest his head on his shoulder. “It’s easy to pretend it’s real…”

Jinki’s whole body tensed and every part of him that was in contact with Jonghyun was burning. Not because of the other temperature but because it was the first time in a while they had such intimate contact.

“I’m scared, Jinki. Those nightmares… they make me feel scared.” Jonghyun started, snuggling closer. “There’s also someone who dies. Someone who came to mean a lot to me.”

“Who? Who dies in your dreams?”

Jonghyun shuffled and looked up at Jinki with glassy eyes. “Minho.”

“Minho?”

“Yes… It’s always him but in different ways.” He explained, sniffling. “One thing remains the same though. The one who always kills him…” Jonghyun paused, gulping, afraid of what he was going to say next. “Kibum.” He whispered the name. “The worst, Jinki, is that I don’t think they’re just dreams anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think it’s something that’s really going to happen. Kibum will kill Minho.”

“What rubbish are you saying, Jonghyun? That’s impossible. Kibum would never-”

He interrupted the other, angry that he wasn’t believing him. “So why do I keep dreaming about it? And it’s always so vivid… I feel like it’s really happening before me. I think it’s a warning.”

“No, that’s completely impossible. You don’t know them, Jonghyun, I do.” Jinki said, trying to reason out what Jonghyun was saying. “I’ve seen how they look at each other… Kibum would never do that. I’m completely sure he would never do a thing to hurt Minho.” He caressed the other’s head making him sigh and close his eyes again. “Your dreams are just that… dreams. You shouldn’t let them get to you that much. You’re worrying everyone around you.”

“But what if they’re really something and we’re dismissing it?”

“Jonghyun, think….” Jinki said, while he lifted the covers so that Jonghyun could lie down again. “They don’t even talk to each other. How could that happen?”

Jonghyun made himself comfortable under the blankets and nodded, thinking about what the other had just said. “I guess you’re right.”

“I am.” The older one smiled a little. “So stop thinking so much about it. You should rest now.”

“I really should.” Jonghyun agreed with his eyes already closed and his voice barely above a whisper.

Jinki nodded even though he knew Jonghyun couldn’t see it and tried to convince himself to leave the room and get back to his house. He was about to do so when Jonghyun grabbed his hand and opened his eyes again, smiling sheepishly at him.

“Thank you, Jinki.”