Chapter 12

Within The Night

“Jinki! Come back here!”

Jinki was running to his room, trying to escape from the hurtful words of his father. It had been weeks, months maybe, that he started to hear his father’s dislike for his relationship. He knew how unnatural it was for a vampire and a human to be together. It wasn’t safe. For neither of them. But he couldn’t bear to stay away from Jonghyun. Not when the human could make him feel things he never felt. His need to protect and love him was so strong that it made Jinki weak.

He entered his room, still furious. No one was ever going to separate them. Not if Jinki had a say in the matter. Suddenly, there was an odd sound and Jinki quickly turned around, baring his fangs and ready to attack.

“Jonghyun.” He said, breathless, upon seeing the human in his room. “How did you get in here? Well, never mind. You need to leave, I don’t want to hurt you.”

Jonghyun, being his stubborn self, didn’t even acknowledged what Jinki said and took a few steps until he was in front of the vampire. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m a little hungry, that’s all.”

“Do you…” He held his breath, his lips. “Would you like to drink my blood?”

“There’s nothing in the world that I want more than to taste your blood, my love.”

“Then-“

“No, I can’t do that to you.”

“But Jinki-“

“Don’t you understand what it would do to you?” Jinki asked, nuzzling his nose on Jonghyun’s neck, feeling the human tremble in his arms.

“I don’t care. I want you to take it.”

“I can’t do that to you.”

“Jinki.” Jonghyun pleaded, with hooded eyes. “Please.”

“Jonghyun-“

“Please.” He said again, this time, throwing his head back a little to expose his neck. “I want it.”

Unable to hold back any longer, Jinki let his hand run through Jonghyun’s back until it was resting on the right side of his neck. He tilted Jonghyun’s head to that side and ran his fingers through Jonghyun’s neck, feeling the veins pulsating with blood right under his finger pads. He approached his mouth and felt his canines grow, sinking them on the soft skin. The moment he felt Jonghyun’s blood on his tongue, Jinki felt like he wouldn’t be able to let go of it.

Jonghyun’s hands grabbed both of his arms and he moaned, tilting his head even more. Jinki moaned when more blood flooded his mouth. The same blood that he had been dreaming of for months. He was finally tasting it, drinking from it. Jinki had never been so happy.

With time, Jonghyun’s grip was slowly fading from his arms. At first, Jinki didn’t realize what it meant, too focused on the blood’s taste but after a few minutes, he hastily let go of Jonghyun’s neck, only to have the human collapse in his arms.

“Jonghyun…” Jinki called, eyes wide, carrying him to the bed. “Jonghyun, please… Please, say something.” He shook him by his shoulders and when there was no reply, he started to panic. “No, please. What did I do?” He got out of the bed and ran to the door to call from help. “I need help! Father!”

Jinki went back to the bed and hook his arms under Jonghyun’s back to pull him against his chest, getting his hair out of his face. “My love, please, wake up. You need to wake up, Jonghyun.” Jinki began to rock back and forth, holding the human close. “I can’t live without you, please…”

“Jinki!” His mother screamed, horrified by the sight. “What happened here?”

“I-I…” He stuttered, looking at her. “I drank from him but I think it was too much. Mother, did I kill him?”

She opted for ignoring his question and approached the bed, looking at Jonghyun and then at Jinki. “We have to get him out of here.”

“Mother, answer my question!”

“We don’t have time for that, Jinki.” His father said, appearing beside his mother. “Let’s get him out.”

Jinki’s father pulled Jonghyun away from him and carried the limp body in his arms, his mother behind. The younger one was the last to react but then he ran to keep up with them. “Where are you taking him? Can you save him?” None of the two answered him. “Are you listening to me? Where are we going?”

“Shut up, Jinki!” His father screamed but not once looking at him. “I do not want to hear more from you. This was what I warned you about.”

“But-“

“No! Be quiet!”

Jinki bit his lip and continued to follow them in silence even when they exited the house. There was already a car outside waiting for them and one of their bodyguards held Jonghyun while the three of them entered the car. Jinki stretched his arms to hold him when the man tried to put him in the car. Upon having him in his arms again, Jinki calmed down. He was calm enough to feel Jonghyun’s faint heartbeat against his chest. But he was cold. And his face was colorless. It felt like he was holding an already dead body.

The car made a sharp turn and he looked around, only seeing dark alleys. When Jinki saw where they were, he felt that something was wrong. The feeling intensified when Jonghyun’s body was taken from him and dumped on the ground. He growled and ran, to kneel beside the human, resting his head on his forehead.

“You have to wake up, Jonghyun.”

“Jinki, get up.”

He looked up to see his father standing in front of him. “What about Jonghyun?”

“I don’t care about him.” He declared, looking disgusted. “We’ll leave him here.”

“We can’t leave him here! He’s going to die!”

His father turned his back on him and began to walk to the car. “He is not our problem, Jinki.”

“No! I can’t let you do this!” Jinki screamed, still holding Jonghyun. “I can’t!”

“Enter the car, Jinki.” He said, opening the door and holding it. “Right now.”

“Not without him. I won’t go anywhere.”

Jinki’s father sighed and made a sign to his bodyguards. “Bring him.”

“No!” He yelled again but to no avail. He tried to fight the grip he had on his arms, forcing him to let go of Jonghyun. “No, let go of me! Please! We can’t leave him here. Please, I love him!”

 The way back home was filled with Jinki’s screams and sobs but not even them made his parents turn back and rescue Jonghyun from the painful and lonely dead that Jinki was sure that he was going through. Jinki was never going to forgive them.

But above all… Jinki was never going to be able to forgive himself. 

I'm feeling pretty generous this week!

Here's one more chapter and this one starts to tell Jongyu's past. There are still more to come :)