Chapter 21

Within The Night

“Oh, here you are! I’ve been waiting for years.” Key said, opening the window to Minho to come in.

“You know it would be easier if I could just do as the normal people do, and ring the doorbell or something.”

"And you know you can’t do it. We’re doing this really well, no one even suspects that we meet each other.”

“Yes, we’re pretty good at this. And sorry, I’m late. I know I told you I would be here like two hours earlier, but Jonghyun kept asking questions. He’s been really weird lately.”

“What do you mean weird?” Kibum asked, sitting on his bed and patting the seat next to him for Minho to sit too.

“I don’t know, he’s always worried about me. I think that those nightmares he’s been having are messing with his head, I’m kind of worried about him.”

“Oh, he’s still having the nightmares? Did he talk to you about them already?”

“No, he changes the subject every time anyone tries to talk with him about it.”

“That’s strange. Maybe he was going to feel better if he at least talked with someone.”

“Yes, I think the same. But let’s talk about something else. How was your day?”

“The same as always.”

“You know what I’m talking about.”

“I’m fine, I’m not dizzy today.”

“You should listen to me and go see a doctor.”

“There’s no need for that, I’m totally fine now.” He lied, knowing that a doctor couldn’t help him. “Don’t worry about me.”

“Of course I worry about you. Does your mother or your grandmother know about this?”

“Why would I worry them if I’m okay now? I’m already regretting telling you about it.” Kibum sighed, rolling his eyes and getting up from the bed, just to be pulled back to the place he was before, this time really close to Minho.

“Don’t you ever say that!” Minho exclaimed, looking at him and holding his hand. “You can talk to me. Sorry, I’m just worried.”

“But you don’t need to.”

“I know. I trust you. But with all of this happening to Jonghyun and now to you I can’t help it but worry about you both.” He said, caressing his hand.

“I- Hm…” Key said, trying to look at anywhere but Minho’s lips. “I know, thank you.”

“Why are you shaking? Oh my God, is it happening again? Do you want a glass of w-“ Minho started, being interrupted when Key freed his hand and rested it in the back of Minho’s neck, pulling him and joining their lips in a kiss.

“Oh my-“ Key said, covering his mouth with his hand, as soon as he pulled away a little from Minho. “Sorry, I-“ He stopped again, not knowing what to say.

“Don’t worry, it was just unexpected.” Minho said, his heart beating really fast. “Oh God, I have to calm down a little, I think I’m not used to these vampire’ things yet.” He said, closing his eyes and covering his chest with his hand.

"What are you feeling? Oh, what did I do?” Key kept asking questions, nervous. “How can I help?”

“Your scent is everywhere and I- I’m not dealing well with it.”

“What can I do? Leave the room?” Kibum asked, just to be thrown on the bed as soon as he tried to get up again. “Minho.” He said, his back against the bed. ”You need to get off me.”

“I know, I know.” Minho replied, his eyes closed and his forehead against Kibum’s.  

“You don’t want to hurt me.” He whispered, trying to sustain Minho’s weight with his hands on his chest.

“I know.” Minho said, once more, still on top of him, with one hand in each side of Kibum’s body. “Let’s just stay like this for a moment. Don’t worry, I’ll never hurt you, I can control it now.”

“O-okay.” Key said, trying to relax. He didn’t know if it would be better to keep talking or to just stay quiet so he decided for the second one, staying like that, watching as Minho’s frown started to disappear.

When a few minutes passed and nothing happened, Kibum looked at Minho, carefully reaching for his face with his hands and slipped his fingers through Minho’s hair, massaging his head, making him move so that he could nuzzle Kibum’s neck with his nose.

“M-Minho…”

“It’s okay, it’s okay.” Minho spoke against his neck, making him tremble. “You don’t know how good you smell.”

Kibum tried his best not to blush but his face was burning hot and he just knew that Minho could see his red cheeks. “We need to talk about… that.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry that I had to put you through this.”

“I’m the one who’s sorry, I didn’t mean to-“ He started, being interrupted by Minho’s lips against his.

“Don’t worry.” He said, smiling to him. “I don’t really mind it.”

Grinning foolishly, Kibum grabbed the collar of Minho’s shirt and kissed him again.

They were so engrossed in each other that the sound of a knock on the door wasn’t even registered in their heads. Only when a loud gasp was heard, did the two of them jumped apart from each other and stared, wide eyed, to the one who was at the door.

“W-what are you doing here?”

Taemin scoffed and closed the door behind him. “Shouldn’t I be the one asking him that?”

“That’s none of your business, Taemin.” Minho replied, looking at him sideways. “It has nothing to do with you.”

“It might not have nothing to do with me but I’m pretty sure Jonghyun will be delighted to hear this.”

"You wouldn’t dare.” Minho said, dangerously low, taking a step towards Taemin.

Taemin threw his head back, laughing and then glared at the other vampire in the room. “Are you sure?”

Feeling like this was about to take a wrong turn, Kibum got up from the bed. “Taemin, please, just… Keep this a secret.”

“Sorry, pumpkin.” Taemin started, smiling at Kibum, squeezing his shoulder gently. “That can’t happen. Jonghyun has to know about this. You two can’t be together.”

“But why? Explain it to me.”

“You just can’t.”

“Stop treating us like kids!” He exclaimed, tired of hearing the same things over and over again without any explanation. “We don’t need to follow your orders if we don’t want to.”

“That’s not exactly how it works for you, Minho, am I right?”

Kibum turned his head to Minho and watched him fumble uncomfortable on his spot. “Minho?”

“He can punish me for not following his orders.”

“But he won’t, right?”

Taemin sighed and sat on the bed, yawning. “Oh, believe me, he most likely will.”

Kibum walked to Minho and grabbed his hands. “Why did you do it then? If you knew about this… Why did you? I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Minho smiled sadly at the human and pulled him in for a hug, ignoring the way Taemin was looking at them and could hear each and every word they said. He wanted to say that he only did it so that he could be with him but he only tightened his hold around the other.

“You two are disgustingly sweet. Who would’ve thought that you would hit it off after so many years, right? At last, the two of you acknowledge your feelings. It’s a shame you can’t be together.”

“Taemin…”

“I really can’t help you this time.” He said, directed to the human when he took a step towards him. “There’s no need to ask.”

“Can’t you keep it a secret? At least for some time.”

The vampire huffed and went to grab Kibum but Minho pulled him back and Taemin stared at him, amused. “I might be tempted to.”

“I’ll do anything, just tell me!”

“Kibum, stop.” Minho said, still grabbing his arm, glaring at Taemin. “He’s just messing with you. He won’t help.”

“But we’re friends! We’re friends, right, Taemin?” He looked at the other, hopeful.

“We are but helping you is out of question.”