Chapter 16

Within The Night

“Jjong-Ah!” Taemin hissed when he felt the vampire’s teeth tearing the skin on his neck, making him arch his back off the wall. “Don’t do this here.”

Jonghyun grunted as an answer and fit his leg between Taemin’s parted ones, pushing him more against the wall. The tall human was undefended against the strength of the other and all he could do was wait until he was satisfied enough to let go of his neck.

Although he didn’t really like the feeding off his blood thing, when Jonghyun rolled his hips against his, suddenly everything fell into place and Taemin couldn’t even think of a thing that he enjoyed more than this.

His hands gripped Jonghyun’s forearms as the vampire’s teeth sunk more on his skin and his blood.

Suddenly, Jonghyun gasped, pulling his face away from Taemin’s neck, not before his wounds, making the human groan and tighten his hold around his arms.

“You taste amazing.”

“I’m the only human blood you taste, I won’t take that as a compliment.” Taemin huffed, pushing Jonghyun back a little so the vampire wasn’t resting his entire weight on him. “You shouldn’t have done this here.”

"What’s the problem? You’re suddenly embarrassed?”

Taemin rolled his eyes. “You know that’s not it.”

“Do I?” Jonghyun smirked, leaning in and his lips.

“Yes, you do.” Taemin put his hand on Jonghyun’s face and pushed it back. “Now, stop being a tease, we need to get going.”

The human began to walk away without waiting for Jonghyun, making him sigh and use his vampire speed to pop out behind Taemin and hug his waist making them walk awkwardly.

“You’re a party pooper.” He muttered in the other’s ear and felt the shiver that went through his body. “We have to go home now?”

"Yes, we do.”

“But why?” Jonghyun stopped them in the middle of the street and breathed to Taemin’s neck. “Why so early?”

"Because Zhou Mi said we couldn’t stay out for long and we’ve already been out for more than two hours, Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun sighed, defeated and went on to walk beside Taemin, taking his hand, feeling the other look at him in shock. When he said nothing, Taemin seemed to take the hint and didn’t dare to ask for an explanation of why he was holding his hand. Jonghyun was grateful for that because even the vampire didn’t know what to think of it.

They kept walking in silence when Taemin complained that he was cold and Jonghyun took off his jacket to put it on Taemin’s thin shoulders. The human smiled at him and was about to lean in when they heard a voice calling Jonghyun’s name.

“Jonghyun? Is that you?”

It felt like a thunder him when Jonghyun recognized that voice. He closed his eyes and pressed his lips together, believing his mind was playing a trick on him. But when Taemin lightly shook his arm, he knew it was real.

Ever so slowly, Jonghyun turned around and had to brace himself when he was fully turned and face-to-face with the one who was once his whole life.

He gasped and put his hand over his mouth, completely shocked.

In front of him stood Lee Jinki, the one whom his heart had belonged to for the longest time. The one who also broke it to pieces and left an incurable wound.

“You’re… you’re alive.”

Upon hearing those words, Jonghyun felt disgusted. “No thanks to you.”

“I thought you were dead…” Jinki said, seemingly unfazed by Jonghyun’s harsh words and took a few steps until he was standing right in front of him. “For all these years, I never knew you were alive. But I couldn’t… This scent.” He was bold enough to put a hand on Jonghyun’s face. “I would recognize your scent anywhere.”

Jonghyun swatted his hand. “Don’t touch me.”

“I don’t’ understand.” Jinki seemed hurt but the other didn’t let it disturb him. “Why are you being like this?”

“Why am I being like this?” Jonghyun shouted, forgetting that he was the middle of a street. “Why am I being like this, you ask? Maybe because you left me to die!”

“No! No, I tried. I tried taking you back but they didn’t let me.” Jinki desperately cried, looking like he was having a mental breakdown. “Jonghyun, my love, please, believe me. I wouldn’t… You know me!”

“I thought I did.”

“I would never do that to you.” Jinki grabbed Jonghyun’s free hand, cradling it. “I love you, Jonghyun. Why would I do that?”

"I don’t know.” The vampire freed his hand from the other’s and took a step back, pulling Taemin with him and only then Jinki seemed to take notice of the other. “All I know is that I don’t ever want to look at your face again.”

“Jonghyun…”

“Don’t even say my name.” He asked, disturbingly calm. “Forget that I ever existed and forget everything we’ve been through, Lee Jinki.”

"I can’t.”

“That’s your problem then.” Jonghyun said with finality. “I’ll forget that I ever knew you.”

With that, Jonghyun turned to Taemin and sighed, beginning to walk back to their house, leaving Jinki and all those memories behind.

As he walked, Jonghyun could feel the weight of Jinki’s gaze on his back as well as Taemin’s, who looked very concerned and kept looking between him and Jinki who stood in the same place. Jonghyun knew the human was dying to ask some question but he also knew that Taemin felt it was not the right time or place to ask them.

So he waited.

He waited until they arrived the mansion and Jonghyun went straight to his bedroom, not bothering to acknowledge anyone. Taemin apologized in his behalf and went after him, finding the vampire curled up on top of his bed, head under the pillows.

“Jjong…” Taemin called, climbing on the bed and kneeling beside him. “Jonghyun…”

“Leave me alone.”

Taemin sighed and crawled under the pillows, lying on his belly, finding Jonghyun’s puffy eyes and red cheeks. “Don’t cry.”

“He didn’t have the right.” He muttered, pressing his eyes close. “Why did he think I would even want to look at his face? Why? Does he think I’m stupid?”

“What if he was telling the truth? What if-“

Jonghyun scoffed, interrupting the other. “You saw for yourself how I was that night, Taemin. If you didn’t find me, I would’ve died right there. None of that mattered to him.” He clenched his fists, clearly irritated. “To him, I was just another human he could use.”

“I don’t think that true, I-“

“Don’t try to defend him! You and I both know that if he really wanted he could’ve saved me.” Jonghyun was still crying, both of sadness and nerves. “Instead, he did what a person does to a dog when they don’t want him anymore.”

“Jonghyun…” Taemin tried again but the vampire got closed to him and nestled his head on his chest. “I…”

"Let’s not talk anymore tonight.” Jonghyun pleaded, Taemin’s shirt. “Just let me be like this.”

Taemin nodded and gently threw his arm around Jonghyun’s body, hugging him close. He let him cry all night on his chest, not missing a single minute of Jonghyun’s pain, wanting to let the other know that he was there for him.

Taemin didn’t know a lot of Jonghyun and Jinki’s story but he knew he didn’t want to see Jonghyun like that ever again. And he would do whatever it took to make sure it never happened again.

 

Back to the past ~