Chapter 14

Within The Night

Taemin felt that something was wrong as soon as he crossed the road. He saw how the car quickly left the place like it was afraid someone would be watching. Unfortunately, for them, Taemin had watched everything. Since they tossed the body on the ground and how they dragged the other person away from it, like the one who was on the floor was infected and no one could touch him.

Taemin waited until the street was calm again and he walked to where the body was. As he was coming closer to it, Taemin heard a faint breathing and he quicken his steps, kneeling at the side of the barely alive human.

“Hey, do you hear me?” The boy shook the one who was lying on the floor. “Please, answer me. Hey!”

When the other gave him no answer like he knew he would, Taemin began to desperate. What was he supposed to do? He couldn’t do anything to help him but he also couldn’t let him die alone in the street. There was a strong smell of blood coming from the unconscious male and Taemin did the only thing he could to help.

“Zhou Mi!” He called, as soon as the other picked up the call. “I need help. There’s someone dying!”

“What have you done now?”

“Nothing! I found him like this.” Taemin said, nearing panic. “Please, you need to come here. He’s going to die.”

There was a sigh on the other side of the phone. “Where are you?”

Taemin sighed in relief and quickly described the street he was in and where the other should go to get there fast.

As he disconnected the call, Taemin looked down at the human and something caught his attention. He turned the other’s head to the side and saw two little holes on his neck. Just as he suspected, that was a vampire attack.

However, he didn’t understand why they had left him there. From what he could gather, the one who was dragged to the car didn’t want to leave the human behind; he was struggling with the two vampires who pulled him. So why… Why did they leave him there like he meant nothing?

Some noise behind him made Taemin forget his questions and turn back, only to find Zhou Mi rushing in their direction.

“What happened? I smell blood.”

Taemin got up and looked at the other. “I don’t know. Someone left him here. It was a vampire.”

"Have you seen his neck?” Zhou Mi asked, bending down to see for himself. When he saw the pale face of the human, he hissed. “He’s not going to make it.”

“You have to do something, we can’t let him die.”

“Taemin, I’m a doctor but I can’t perform miracles.” Zhou Mi explained, looking up at the other. “He lost too many blood, I-“

“Turn him.”

"What?”

Taemin kneeled beside them and stared straight into Zhou Mi’s eyes. “You heard me. Turn him into a vampire.”

“I can’t do that.” He shook his head, vehemently. “I don’t turn anyone in years. I don’t even want the responsibility of teaching a new vampire. I-“

“What kind of doctor are you then?” Taemin broke out, shouting. “You have the possibility to save a life and you won’t do it because you don’t want the responsibility? I thought you were better than this…”

"Taemin, you don’t understand.” He started, seeing the other grabbing the human’s hand and squeezing it. “What are you doing?”

“The only thing I can.” He almost spitted the words. “I’m staying with him so he won’t die alone.”

Zhou Mi took a deep breath and watched Taemin trying to find a more comfortable position to stay with the male until he left their world. Seeing how the other was so keen in staying there, made him think again of his possibilities. He could let the human die and never thought of the situation again or he could turn him into a vampire and deal with the responsibility of having a new vampire sired to him.

Considering he was never one to turn a blind eye to other people suffering, Zhou Mi decided that Taemin was indeed right. He was being selfish and letting someone die just because he wasn’t used to have someone sired to him in many years.

Sighing, he took the human’s other hand and the action made Taemin look up at him. “I hope I don’t regret this.”

Taemin gave him a small smile and a nod, like he was proud of him and Zhou Mi let his canines grow to their fullest form.

Ever so slowly, Zhou Mi approached the human’s neck and sank his teeth on it, immediately feeling the venom leave from his canines and enter the foreign body. When he completed the process, he pulled back and wiped his chin with the back of his hand, seeing how some color was already starting to return to the male’s face.

"We need to take him to the mansion.”

Taemin nodded and got up, hooking his arms under the other’s armpits and pulled him up, waiting for Zhou Mi to grab his legs so that they could take him to the car first. As soon as the human was inside the car, Taemin grabbed Zhou Mi’s arm.

“Thank you. You did what was right.”

“I really hope so.” The vampire said, squeezing the human’s shoulder. “Let’s get him to his new home.”

**

When Jonghyun first came to his senses, his body and mind were numb. He didn’t feel anything but tiredness and he couldn’t even open his eyes. He tried to move his arms but only groaned, when they felt too heavy.

“Don’t panic, it’s okay.” A voice spoke into his ears, calm. “Go back to sleep.”

Without the strength to contest, Jonghyun followed the voice’s advice and felt his conscience begin to slip away one more time. He still didn’t understand what was going on, he was sure he should be dead by now, but he also didn’t have the mind to think about it.

The second time Jonghyun woke up, his mind was a lot clearer that before and he could actually open his eyes and move his limbs anywhere. He felt like a new person, much more in control of his movements than before.

He looked around, not recognizing the room he was in and became instantly alert.

Suddenly, the door opened and Jonghyun saw a tall and lean boy enter the room, walking to him and smiling when he saw him sitting on the bed.

“You’re finally awake!” The boy cheered, looking actually happy. “Zhou Mi said you would wake up today but I didn’t really believe him.”

"Who are you?”

“Oh, right! I’m Taemin.” He bowed, sitting on the bed. “I still don’t know your name though. Can you tell me?”

Just as Taemin sat next to him on the bed, hunger attacked Jonghyun. He looked at the other trying to decipher what was going on when a strong urge to taste the other’s blood passed through him. Scared of his own thoughts, Jonghyun tried to get away from Taemin but the feeling didn’t subside.

If anything, it only intensified. Taemin was so clueless about what was going on on Jonghyun’s mind that it made him the perfect prey.  If only he would know how to taste the blood…

“Ah, I see you’re awake and ready to eat.”

Jonghyun quickly turned his attention from Taemin to the other voice he heard that belong to another man. This one was also tall but had a sense of authority within him that made Jonghyun stay still and be quiet. He followed him with his eyes until he was standing in front of the bed.

“Tell me your name.”

Before he could stop himself, his name slipped from his lips. “Jonghyun.”

“Pleasure, Jonghyun, I’m Zhou Mi.” 

 

Aaaaand back to Jongyu's past. Or should I say Jonghyun's past since we don't hear of Jinki in this chapter?

Well, anyway, this is the story of how Jonghyun became a vampire :)

Thank you all for the comments in the last chapter. I hope you like this one as well!