Chapter 33

Within The Night

 

Warning: Character Death

 

Jinki was lying on the couch, trying to relax. On the last few days he couldn’t think in anything but his father and Zhou Mi and he was going insane. To make the things worse, Jonghyun was pretending to forget the threat and didn’t want to hear anything about it, so he couldn’t talk to anyone since Minho was busy taking care of Kibum’s problem, Krystal was spending some time with her sister who she just found, and Taemin… Jinki still wasn’t really comfortable around him.

At that day in particular, they were all out, leaving the house for him and Jonghyun, who was sitting on the couch next to him, reading a book.

“Jjong?” Jinki called, making the other look at him. “Where’s the remote?” He was praying to find something on the TV to keep his mind busy. Maybe a movie.

“I have no idea.” Jonghyun answered, tapping his foot on the ground repeatedly.

“You’re lying. Where is it?” Jinki smiled, sitting too. “Give it to me, please.”

“Go find it, I don’t have it.” He answered, trying to hide a smile. “Why are you still looking at me? Let me read.”

“Because I’m waiting for you to give me the remote.” He laughed. “I can’t believe this is happening.”

“Okay.” Jonghyun closed the book and got up from the couch. “Maybe I have it.” He continued, taking some steps back. “Come and get it!”

He tried to run away, but Jinki was faster and caught him immediately. However, Jonghyun hid the remote behind his back and leaned against the wall, trapping the object.

“You don’t need it.” He said, when Jinki put a hand on each side of him, not leaving space for him to escape.

“Yes, I do. Because I’m bored and I need to get distracted.”

“I can distract you.” He said, joining their lips as Jinki tried to reach the remote again. “Is it okay for you?”

“Maybe?” Jinki said, having an idea. He took a step forward, leaving no space between their bodies. Jonghyun hold the remote tighter, not being fooled, and making Jinki laugh again. The older one rested his hands on Jonghyun’s hips and pulled him closer.

“You’re cheating.” Jonghyun whispered, moving his free hand to the other’s neck. “But you won’t win this.” His voice cracked when Jinki placed his hand under his shirt.

“I think I will.” Jinki said and, unexpectedly, started to tickle him, catching him by surprise. The other one burst out laughing and dropped the remote to make him stop. Jinki took the chance to catch the object and smiled, victorious. “It’s mine now.”

“Hey, this isn’t fair!” Jonghyun said when he saw his boyfriend walking back to the couch. “You can’t do this and-“ He stopped when he felt a weird scent. However, when he paid more attention he easily recognized it. He froze. “Zhou Mi?” He said, nervous.

“He is not alone.” Jinki said, his eyes wide opened, while he moved to his side and held his hand. “Don’t ever let go of my hand.”

In 5 seconds, Zhou Mi, Jinki’s father and three other men were inside of Jonghyun’s house.

“What are you doing here?” Jinki asked, focused on his father.

“Hello, Jinki. It’s good to see you, too.” He laughed, not paying attention to his son. “Now get out of the way.”

“I won’t leave him again and you’re not going to hurt anyone.” He said, keeping Jonghyun behind him. ”I’m stronger than you.”

“Not so sure about me.” Zhou Mi said, taking a step forward and catching all the attentions. “Jonghyun, come here.”

“He won’t go anywhere.” Jinki said, leaving no time for Jonghyun to answer. “You don’t want to fight us.”

“You’re right, I don’t.” Zhou Mi agreed, smiling. He looked at the three men who were still behind him and they walked towards Jonghyun and Jinki. “It all depends on you.”

“I don’t have to obey you, Zhou Mi. Stop this.” Jonghyun finally spoke, serious.

“You have if I order you to.” Zhou Mi remembered him, making the two of them gulp. “Didn’t remember that? You used it sometime ago with your child.”

“Leave Minho out of this. Leave everyone out of this!”

Suddenly, Jinki’s father scoffed and all attention went to him. “Enough with the chitchat, just do what you got to do, Zhou Mi. I’m wasting too much time in here.”

“Father, you don’t have to do this.”

“Oh, but I have, Jinki.” He said, only looking at him. “I need someone strong by my side. You’re not strong if you have that thing with you.”

“Stop it, I-“

“Jonghyun, you’ll come here and you’ll not fight us.” Zhou Mi ordered, making Jonghyun look sharply at him. “It’s an order.”

“No, no! Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun was staring wide eyed at their hands, not believing what he had heard. Then he looked up at Jinki. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. But I have to do as he says.”

“Please, Jonghyunnie, you’re stronger than it. Please.”

“I can’t.” He shook his head and released his grip on Jinki’s hand walking to Zhou Mi’s side.

It was only when Jonghyun managed to get away from Jinki that he knew that he had to do something or he wouldn’t be able to hold his boyfriend’s hand again.

 

**

Krystal was finally spending some time with her sister, since that day when she appeared at Minho’s house. They had been walking since morning, they ate lunch together and now were resting on a bench at the park.

It was a nice day outside so they had been talking about everything they missed about each other between the years they stood apart. She was in the middle of telling the story of how she met Minho and Jonghyun when she was overpowered by a strange sensation. Krystal stopped talking but after a few seconds, the sensation went away so she continued her story.

“Something isn’t right, I need to go.”

“W-what?” Sooyeon asked, getting up after seeing her sister do the same. “But we just got here. I thought we were spending the afternoon together.”

Krystal looked at her and bit her lip. “I’m sorry, it’s just that I feel something is wrong with Jonghyun and I need to see it for myself.”

“Come on, Soojung, you spend all your days with him.” Sooyeon said, grabbing the other’s wrist. “I’m sure he’s okay.”

“No. You can’t be sure because you don’t know him. You don’t have a connection with him.”

The older of the two sisters sighed and stepped back. “Soojung-“

“I’m really sorry but this is really important.” She said, her eyes cold. “We can meet any other day, okay?”

Sooyeon nodded and heard the other one sigh, only to turn her back on her and leave the place. She was walking rather fast but she didn’t use her powers to move even faster. Sooyeon lifted her gaze to look at her and felt bad that she was leaving her little sister to go on a war that didn’t even had anything to do with her.

Frowning, she got up from the bench that had both been sat and ran to Krystal, catching up with her in no time. When she appeared at her side, Krystal looked at her, surprised.

“I’m coming with you.” She informed, looking in front. “You were right, something is wrong. Jinki’s father wants to kill Jonghyun.”

 

**

“Minho, this is insane, we can’t get in.”

Minho was too focused on listening to what was going in inside the house to pay any attention to Kibum. The both of them were standing by the front door because they heard the commotion inside and were trying to figure out what was going on.

“They’re in trouble. We need to help.”

Kibum widened his eyes and grabbed Minho’s arm. “You can’t. We can’t! We’re going to be killed.”

“Kibum, if we don’t go in, they’re going to be killed. At least, Jonghyun is and I’m not going to let that happen.”

“But what are we going to do? We don’t even have a plan!”

Minho sighed and pulled Kibum to him. “Look, it’s true, we don’t have a plan but we can think of something in there. I’m not leaving him here to die.”

Kibum looked up at Minho, into his eyes, and nodded, silently telling him that he was going in too. He grabbed the other’s hand and laced their fingers, putting a hand on the door. When Minho was about to turn the key, there was a crash inside and they stared bewildered at each other before Minho opened the door so quickly that made it bounce on the wall behind it.

All eyes were on them and on the other side of the room, near to the now-crashed-window.

Krystal stood there with a girl behind her that Minho recognized as her sister and they both seemed scared.

“Oh, Sooyeon, you decided to join us?” Kwangsoo asked, laughing still gripping Jonghyun’s wrist. “You even brought your sister.”

“Leave her out of this, she has nothing to do with it!”

The vampire laughed again, throwing his head back, exposing his white neck. “Well, but you’re the one who’s here with her, right now. I told you to keep away.”

“I can’t let you do this.”

He scoffed. “And what can you do to stop me?”

Minho felt like it was the time to step in and pulled Kibum with him. “She’s not alone. I’m sure we all can stop you if needed.”

“You think I’m afraid of you, you silly boy? I have more power than all of you together!”

“We will-“

Minho felt a hand on his shoulder and turned his head back to find Jinki. “Stop Minho, it’s useless.”

“How can you say that?”

Kibum joined the conversation at his side. “You won’t save Jonghyun? You keep on disappointing me.”

“It’s not like this. It’s just that I know when to give up and right now, I know there’s nothing we can do to stop him.”

“I’m not going to stand here and watch him die!”

“Listen to my son’s words! He’s right. You can never stop me.”

Jinki hung his head low and got back to his previous place, right in front of Jonghyun who kept quiet the whole time, with tears rolling down his face.

“Father, can I-“ He stopped himself from crying and began again. “Can I say goodbye to him?”

“Go ahead but don’t waste too many time.”

Jinki nodded and walked to Jonghyun kneeling in front of him. He cradled his face between his hands and joined their lips. Then he brought Jonghyun’s body into his arms and hid his face between his neck and shoulder.

“I’m going to get you out of here.” He mouthed the word, only to Jonghyun to listen and it was successful because he felt Jonghyun’s body grow tense. “I love you. So much.”

Jonghyun nodded against his head and sniffed, biting his lip.

Slowly, Jinki stood up again with his eyes never leaving Jonghyun’s. He smiled weakly and then stared at his father who was looking at him too.

“I hate you.” He declared and watched as surprised appeared on his father’s face. Jinki then launched himself at the other’s body and tackled him to the ground. “Jonghyun, now!”

Jonghyun stood on weak knees and ran to Minho and Kibum’s side, urging Minho to do something to Zhou Mi or he would give him an order again. When his child left his side, Kibum grabbed his arm to help keeping himself up.

“Krystal, get out of here!” He screamed at her and then looked at Kibum. “We have to do something to help Jinki.”

“What are you guys waiting for? Catch them and kill them!” Jinki’s father ordered the other three vampire and they were immediately in action. Minho was thrown off of Zhou Mi and Jonghyun and Kibum were held against their will.

They watched as Kwangsoo threw Jinki’s body to the side and got up, kicking him on the side. “You know, I was going to make this painless but now you angered me.” He walked to where Jonghyun was and extended his hand to the side. “Zhou Mi, give me the spear.”

“No! No, not the spear!” Jinki cried from the ground. “Father, please, don’t!”

“It’s too late now for that.”

Jinki knew what it meant for his father to be asking the spear. It had the power to take a vampire’s life away for good because it was made of silver and wood. It also made them die a slow and painful death because it was so sharp and took its time in tearing the important parts of the heart apart.

The vampire held the spear on his hand and twisted it around. “Say goodbye, Jonghyun because this is the last day you’ll ever see.”

Jonghyun gave Jinki one last glance and then looked at Kwangsoo in the eye, trying to look more confident than what he felt. Kwangsoo lifted the spear in the air and out of the corner of his eye, Jonghyun saw Jinki getting up from the ground.

And then it all felt like slow motion. Jinki ran to him, Kwangsoo lowered the spear and he heard Kibum gasp at his side. Jonghyun heard the wicked sound of the spear piercing flesh and then all he could hear was the agonizing screams.

Only later he realized that the screams were coming from him.

 

:(