Chapter 19

Within The Night

“NO!” Jonghyun screamed, once again, holding the sheets with all his strength.

“Shh, it’s okay. It was just a nightmare, I’m here.” Taemin said, as he cleaned Jonghyun’s sweat with a towel and tried to calm him down, whispering comfort words until he went back to sleep.

It had been a year since the first nightmare.  At first, Minho and Krystal went to his bedroom, both scared, and tried to wake him up, since it was the only way to make him stop screaming. As the months started to pass and the nightmares kept disturbing his sleep, Minho decided that it would be better to tell someone, so he reluctantly called Taemin and told him what was going on. Since then, Taemin decided to sleep at their house for a while and helped him with his nightmares.

When Taemin was sure that Jonghyun wouldn’t wake up in the next minutes, he walked to Minho’s room and knocked, entering when he heard the other’s voice telling him to come in.

“Is anything wrong?”

“Sorry to bother you, but this is important.” Taemin said, entering the room. “It’s Jonghyun. The nightmares don’t stop and I think they’re getting worse.”

“Did he tell you what are they about?” Minho asked, getting up, concerned.

“No, he refuses to talk about that as soon as he wakes up.”

“It was the same with me.” Minho explained, running a hand through his hair. “What can we do now?”

“I don’t know.” Taemin looked around, thinking. “Do you think you can make him tell you about the dreams?”

“I told you I asked him already. I don’t think he’s going to tell anyone until he’s ready to talk about it. That’s why I called you, I thought he was going to tell you something since you know each other for so long.”

“He didn’t.” Taemin said, suddenly thinking about someone who could probably make him talk. “Well, I’ll let you sleep. I want to be there if he wakes up again. But I’ll think about something to do.”

Minho nodded and walked back to his bed, as Taemin quietly went back to Jonghyun’s room, knowing exactly what he was going to do in the morning. Or whom he was going to visit for help.

The rest of the night passed by calmly, with no more nightmares. As the time was passing, Taemin thought that he was probably insane, thinking that Jinki would want to help. To be true, he was almost sure that the older vampire wouldn’t even want to hear what he had to say. However, as soon as the sun appeared in the sky, he decided that that was the only thing to do, so he got up and looked for something to wear.

“Where are you going?” A sleepy Jonghyun asked, still with his eyes closed.

“Out.”

“Oh, what a mystery. But fine, if you don’t want to say-”

“What was it about?”

“I don’t know what are you talking about.” He said, turning around on bed, so Taemin couldn’t see his face.

“Of course you know. The nightmare.”

“It was about you and how annoying you are. Now let me sleep.”

“I don’t understand you. But okay, sleep. I’ll see you later.” He said, closing the door and rolling his eyes. Why did he want to help that idiot?

**

“Jinki?” Taemin called, as soon as the older left his house.  Taemin was going to knock when Jinki appeared on the door, knowing already that he was there.

“What are you doing here?” The older vampire asked, frowning at him.

“I need to talk to you.”

“I don’t think there’s anything we need to talk about.” Jinki started to walk, passing him and hitting him with his shoulder. “If you don’t mind.”

“It’s really important.” Taemin followed him, stopping in front of him to make Jinki look at him.

“Do we even know each other?”

“It’s about Jonghyun.”

“Oh, one more reason. Now I’m sure I don’t have anything to say to you.” He smiled, continuing to walk, ignoring the way his stomach was aching.

“Can you at least listen to me? Believe me when I say that I have no pleasure in being here, talking to you.”

“Then go. “

“He’s having nightmares. Really bad ones, I think.”

“What do I have to do with his nightmares? Aren’t you there to comfort him? Aren’t you his boyfriend?” He spat the word, pretending not to give it any importance.

“B-No! What?” Taemin asked, forgetting what he was going to say and blushing a little.

“Oh, please. I don’t have time for this.”

“He wakes up almost every night screaming in fear and sweating.” Taemin explained, getting back to his senses. “And in the morning he doesn’t tell anyone what was it about. I want to help, but I don’t know how.”

“Neither do I.“

“Are you always this cold? You have no feelings?” Taemin asked, grabbing his arm to making him stop again.

“What do you want from me?” Jinki asked, turning to him and pushing him. “Let go.”

“I must be crazy, but I think that if you try, he’s going to talk to you.”

“We’ll never know because I’m not going to try. Have you ever heard about doctors?”

“He doesn’t need a doctor, he needs a person he can trust.”

“I’m sure he trusts you.”

“Damn, this is serious!”

“And I’m being serious too. Stop this nonsense and leave me alone. I have nothing to do with your or Jonghyun’s problems or nightmares. We’re not even friends. If you want help, go find his friends or something, but stop bothering me. I don’t know why did you decide to come to talk to me first of all.”

“Because when he’s not conscious he whispers your name.” He lied, trying to talk to his heart he knew was there. “Because I’m sure you’re the one he wants next to him to hold him when he’s having those freaking nightmares.” He continued, his voice louder. “But I see I’m wrong. Maybe the nightmares are about you and that’s why he keeps calling you.”

“Yes, maybe they are.” Jinki said, starting to feel his head spinning around. He had to end that conversation or else he was going to do something that he was going to regret. Why did he still care? “Now that you said what you wanted to say, I’m going. I have more important things to do.” He said, turning around with his legs trembling, and leaving an angry Taemin behind.

**

“And I found the answer!” Jimin yelled, hitting the table with his fist. “I think I’m finally understanding maths!”

“Of course you are, you have the best teacher in the world!” Kibum said, smiling. “Me, of course. Not the one in school.”

“Believe me, you’re really the best!” Jimin said, continuing to enjoy his little party. “I’m totally going to pass the exam!”

“You better do.” Kibum said, feeling happy that he was that confident. “Now, let’s try another exercise. This one!” He pointed to the book, showing the exercise he was talking about. “Imagine that you have-“ He interrupted himself, feeling dizzy.

“That I have…” Jimin repeated, waiting for him to continue the sentence.

“Well, hm…” Kibum tried, just to stop again. “I’m not feeling good. Do you think you can go to the kitchen and bring me a glass of water or something?”

“Sure. But what are you feeling?”

“Just a little dizzy. I’m sure that water is going to help.”

Jimin left his bedroom to go to the kitchen and Kibum leaned his head on the wall behind him, closing his eyes. His head was spinning and he just wanted to lie on his bed and sleep. He got up from the chair to do so when Jimin came back and helped him walk to the bed since he stumbled a bit.

“It has a little sugar in it.” The younger boy said, while he helped him sit on the bed. “I heard it was good mixing those two.”

“Thanks, Jimin.”

Jimin smiled at him and patted his head. “Hyung, I better go.”

“What? No! I’m feeling better, we can continue our class.”

“It’s better if I go, you need to rest.” He sighed, packing his things as Kibum watched, helpless on the bed. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay, Jimin. Bye.”

Kibum waved at the other boy until he left the room and then let his hand fall to his side, sighing.

Lately, he had been getting those weird sensations more often and it scared him. He just wanted it to stop. All of it.

Kibum his side and closed his eyes, trying to sleep, wishing someone was next to him.