Chapter 22

Within The Night

“How could he do this to me?”

“You need to calm down.”

“How can I calm down when he’s been lying to me for who knows how long?”

“Come on, it’s not that serious.”

“Do you know how many times I’ve asked him if he wasn’t really seeing Kibum? He lied to me every damn time.”

“Don’t look at it like that… Maybe he was afraid, I-“

“Oh, he is right to be afraid. He doesn’t even imagine what I’m about to do.”

The sound of a key turning was heard and right after the door was opened, revealing both Minho and Kibum and behind them Taemin with an amused expression. Jonghyun had to control himself to not to run to them and begin shouting in their faces.

Minho looked at him and sighed. “Jonghyun-“

“Don’t even start, Minho. I don’t want to hear a thing.”

“Why are we here then?” Kibum scoffed, unable to keep quiet. “If you call us here and don’t want to give us the chance to explain ourselves, this is a waste of time.”

“Kibum…”

Kibum snapped his head at Minho upon hearing his name and glared at him too. “What? Isn’t it true? What are we doing here if all he’s going to do is talk about how we shouldn’t be together?” He shook his head. “I’ve listened to that already. I don’t care about that.”

“You should care.”

“And why is that?” Kibum asked Jonghyun, crossing his arms. “Give me one good reason… Tell me why Minho can’t be friends with me.”

“You’re not only friends, Kibum, and that’s the whole problem.”

Kibum and Minho exchanged looks and the first one blushed a little, not able to look at Jonghyun anymore since he knew what he was saying was true.

“Oh, that one is correct.” Taemin laughed, sitting on the couch, making everyone in the room look at him. “I caught them in bed.”

“What?” Krystal almost screamed, shocked. She then looked at Minho for an explanation. “What does this means?”

Minho coughed and stared at the ground, embarrassed. “It wasn’t like that. We weren’t doing anything.”

“Because I arrived.”

“I was just trying to recover from…. Well, Kibum kissed me and- Ouch!” Minho hissed when Kibum jabbed his elbow on his ribs. “What? It is true!”

“That’s not the point, Minho.”

Minho rolled his eyes at the other and continued. “The scent of his blood was clouding my senses, I had to calm down. That was what we were doing.”

“On the bed.” Taemin pointed out, grinning. “On top of each other.”

Jonghyun growled. “That’s enough, Taemin.” He then stared at Minho. “That’s exactly why you two can’t be together. You can’t control yourself around him.”

"Of course, I can. I didn’t do anything.”

“This time…” A new voice was heard, startling everyone except for Jonghyun. “What if the next time, you can’t control the thirst and bit him? What if you drink too much of his blood? What if you kill him?”

When Jinki emerged from the shadows, everyone held their breath.

Jonghyun took a step aside to let him pass and Kibum quietly placed his hand on Minho’s back, trying to show him support. He was kind of scared of Jinki since Minho told him he was one of the oldest vampires on earth, expected to be the next ruler of their kind.

“You don’t need to fear me, Kibum.” Jinki tried to smile, feeling the other’s emotions. “I won’t hurt you.”

The human gulped and nodded but couldn’t ease his fear until Minho grabbed his hand behind their backs, squeezing it. Kibum almost immediately felt safer even though he knew Minho had absolutely no power over Jinki. He squeezed the vampire’s hand back and held his chin high, trying not to show any fear.

“You can’t tell us what to do.”

Suddenly, Taemin started to laugh from the couch. “That’s what I like about this kid. He’s almost shaking with fear but he stands his ground like no one else.” He got up from the couch and walked to the couple, bumping purposely into Jinki. “You know, Kibum, I wish this was as simple as you telling us we can’t do this…” He went to grab the other’s free hand but Minho pulled him back, away from Taemin.

“Don’t touch him.” Minho growled, showing his fangs.

Taemin stared at him and rolled his eyes. “Nice teeth.” He smiled but then turned very serious. “Now, back off. I’m trying to speak to him.”

“I don’t want you to touch him.”

“Minho…” Kibum called. “It’s okay. Taemin won’t hurt me.”

“Enough will all of this!” Jonghyun exclaimed, sounding angry. He walked to Minho and pulled him away from Kibum, holding him by his shoulders and looking into his eyes. “I tried to make it easier for you, Minho, but you leave me no choice.”

Kibum tried to move but found himself being held by Jinki while Jonghyun continued to stare at Minho.

“No… No!” He nearly cried, moving around on Jinki’s hold. “Stop it! Don’t do that!”

“Calm down. This is for the best.”

Kibum scoffed and pulled his arm to no avail. “Let go.” He hissed, glaring at Jinki. “Let me go! I can’t let this happen. Minho. Minho, look at me!”

“Don’t.” Jonghyun contradicted, not letting him stare at the human for more than one second. “Now, listen to me. You will not-“

"Stop it!” Kibum cried again, trying to launch himself at the vampire but being held back by the elder. “Why are you doing this to us? Why are you being like this?”

“Jonghyun, please, don’t do this. I promise you I’ll never hurt him.” Minho tried to appeal at Jonghyun’s sensitive side. “Please.”

Jonghyun sighed and ignore their pleas, getting back to what he was saying. “After today, you will not try to be with Kibum. You won’t even talk about him. That’s an order.”

“This is ridiculous! Insane!” Kibum continued, finally being able to set free from Jinki’s grasp and walked to Minho, who was startled when he touched him and quickly averted his eyes. “Minho, look at me. Minho?”

Kibum watched as the other took a step away from him and quickly ran to his room, closing the door behind him. The human was left staring at the way Minho went, without knowing what to do.

“That’s how’s going to be from now on.” Jonghyun suddenly spoke, turning his back on the only human in the room. “Every time you try to talk to him, that’s going to be his answer.”

“I can’t believe you’ve actually done this. What’s the purpose?” Kibum spat, angry and sad. “Minho said so many good things about you that I actually thought I judged you wrong. In the end, he was the one who was wrong.” He said, vision blurry from the tears forming in his eyes. “You’re a monster.”

“Take him home, Taemin.”

“I don’t need anyone to take me home.” Kibum snarled when Taemin tried to touch him to lead him to the door. “I’ll go by myself.”