Hope

What Kpop doesn't know?

When Jaejoong fell down, I felt all the nervous energy I had earlier completely disappear. My laughter echoed throughout the inside of the café making a lot of eyes stare at me. The employees looked at me then at the red faced fallen Jaejoong in confusion. The things that were on his hand were now scattered everywhere in front of him. His ears are bright red while he covered his face in embarrassment.

                “Did you just trip over a flat surface?” I breathed out.
                Tears were trying to escape my eyes. I stared at Jaejoong through squinted eyes trying to regain my breath. Jaejoong sat up leaning back on his well sculpted arms. His brown eyes narrowed at my direction as he tried to fight a smile. His cheeks still a tinted pink color.  

                “How long do you plan on laughing?” He questioned.

                I simply shrugged and continued to laugh again. Jaejoong let out a sigh shaking his head. I slowly regained my breath as he assured the worried employees that he was fine. I watched wiping my tears while he picked up his fallen items.

                “Are you ok?” I let out as he neared me.

                “Are you seriously asking me now after laughing for an hour?” Jaejoong breathed out giving me a look.

                “I wasn’t an hour, Drama queen. More like a few minutes.” I let out. “Man, you said I was clumsy.” I let out another howl of laughter ignoring Jaejoong’s glare.

                “What is all the commotion out here?” . Naeun came out. Jaejoong turned around to stare towards the voice in confusion. Naeun’s eye widen in recognition at him. “Ah! Jaejoong Oppa.”

                Oppa?!

                I stared at Naeun as she grew two heads. Did she seriously call him Oppa? Does she not know how old she is? He is definitely not her Oppa!

                Naeun ignored my stare as she acted flustered while she fixed herself as best as she could. Her disheveled graying hair was patted firmly down in her bun by her rough hands. While in quick haste she ripped off her dirty apron throwing it at a male employee. Poor guy, she yelled at him to bring out food and soju. Why does she have soju here?

                “Oppa? Why are you here?” Naeun let out.

                Jaejoong just stood awkwardly in front of me completely uncomfortable by her.

                “Uhh….” Jaejoong let out.

“Oh call me Noona!” Naeun let out waving her hand with a wide flirtatious smile.

 I mask my laughter with coughs under her intense glare. She wants him to call her Noona granted she makes me call her Unnie. Oh Naeun. Why can’t you accept father time is catching up to you?

Just then the male in employee came back with a tray full of side dishes and bottles of soju. He balanced the large tray on his hands as he made his way to my table. I watched with amusement as he organized the side dishes and bottles on my table.

“Why are you putting the things in front of Sam? It’s not for her, it’s for Jaejoong Oppa!” Naeun growled at the employee. Poor guy looked up at his boss in innocence as he stuttered his explanation. Naeun rolled her eyes then turned back to Jaejoong with a wide smile. “Oppa? Where am you sitting?”

 “Noona? I am actually here to meet Sam.” Jaejoong breathed out taking a couple steps back so he was standing next to my seat.

Naeun eyes focused on me in shock then at him. She lifted up her finger pointing at us. I can see the gears in head spinning. I growled under my breath knowing what she is thinking. This woman. Remember when I said she was nice and sweet?

Yeah, I take that back. That was all a lie. I exaggerated a lot to make her seem cool. She is actually an old…

“Ah are you two-“ Naeun went to say, but I quickly cut her off.

“Before you even say it! No, ok! Just no!” I growled pointing a warning finger at her.

The male employee continued to leave the rest of the side dishes and soju bottles in front of us. He then bowed at us and practically ran back to the kitchen with the rest of the employees.

“Figures he is too handsome for you.” Naeun let out crossing her arms over her sagging plump body. She gave me a smirk then turned to Jaejoong with sympathy. “Did she threaten you? Blackmail you? I can help you out if you want. I know how to handle this child.”

“What is that supposed to mean!”

Naeun turned back towards me with an innocent look. Her lips held a sly smirk.

“Nothing.”

“Yeah, right.” I scoffed. Leaning back on my chair, I crossed my arms over my chest. “I didn’t threaten anyone! We are just here because he stole my sweater.”

“Hey! I didn’t steal it! You left it with me.” Jaejoong exclaimed in his defense. Naeun watched us with eagle eyes as we proceeded to argue. “It’s not my fault you were negligent.”

“The only reason you have it was because of that wonderful disguise that I made for you. I never even got a thank you from you. I worked so hard on it too! I am so underappreciated!”

“You turned me into a girl! I didn’t ask for it. I was fine with just a cap and mask.”

“Then Janie would have never been born!” I let out an offended gasp.

Jaejoong and I stared at each other in silence. Playful glares mirrored both of our eyes.

“Janie? Where have I heard that name?” Naeun wondered out loud. She stood in front of us staring off into space. Her gray eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. ”Ah! The pretty girl and the gothic e that harassed the middle school girls yesterday. Don’t tell me that was you two?” She growled giving us a mom look.

                “We did not harass them!” I argued coming to our defense. “They almost recognized us when they asked for salt so I had to scare them off. Anyone would have done the same.”

                “No, they wouldn’t! Sam! You implied you were a e and basically offered your services to their parents.”

                “It worked didn’t it.” I breathed out with a shrug. “They didn’t recognize us. Anyways it was not like I told them we were world class stars named salt and pepper.”

                Jaejoong let a laugh at my comment. Naeun snapped her head at him giving a furious glare causing him to cough in order to mask it. I rolled my eyes at Jaejoong trying to play innocent. You’re already busted, idiot.

                “Don’t encourage her.” Naeun scolded. “She is bad enough already. You don’t need to encourage her with your laughing.”

 Jaejoong looked down at the ground with a pout as he mumbled a sorry to her. That old lady practically turned to puddle at his expression. She instantly forgave him with a happy smile and forgot all about it. If that was me, she would have continued to yell at me. That’s so unfair.

Damn you and unnatural good looks, Jaejoong.

                “ up.” I hissed under my breath at the now smiling man next to me. Jaejoong gave me a sly smirk then winked. I scoffed rolling my eyes at him. “Sit down, idiot.”

                “Don’t let her boss you around. Tell her no.” Naeun said to Jaejoong.

“Oui, Don’t start !” I hissed pointing my finger at the older lady.

“Oh child. You know your tough act doesn’t work on me.” Naeun let out a throaty laugh. “I know you.” Jaejoong stared between us in confusion. I sent a glare at Naeun’s smiling face then proceeded to grab my chopsticks and munching on my side dishes. I opened the soju bottle completely ignoring her laughter. “Jaejoong, don’t mind her. She acts tough, but she is just a small child at heart.”

“Nomph I’m notph.” I let out with my mouth full of food. Damn why does this woman cook so good.

“Don’t eat with your mouth full.” Naeun scolded. I quickly rolled my eyes at her. I poured myself a shot of soju and downed it. I swallowed that and my food while letting out a satisfied noise. Jaejoong laughed while Naeun made a disgusted face. “I should be going to the back to get ready for tomorrow. Let me know if she gets to be too much, Oppa.” I let out a snort as I took another shot while stuffing my face. Naeun glared at me then looked back at Jaejoong with a smile.

“I will be fine. Thank you, Noona.” Jaejoong politely declined as he took the chair across from me. He laid my gray hoodie carefully on the table. His phone and wallet was put back in his pocket.

“Ok, then. Just leave the dishes on the table when you’re down. I will get them after you leave.”

                “We will. Thanks for the food, Unnie.” I breathed out.

“It was for Oppa not you.”

“We all know it was for me.”

“Someone has to make sure your bottomless pit is satisfied.” Naeun muttered under her breath. Hearing her, I looked up at her with my cheeks like a chipmunk. I smiled at her making her tsk while she shakes her head at me. “I should head to the back. Enjoy your snacks. And don’t play with the coffee machine, Sam.” She let out in warning just before she disappeared through the kitchen door.

                “That was one time!” I yelled after her. Her laughter echoed from in the kitchen along with her two employees. I mumbled curses to the older woman as I glared at the now closed kitchen door. She left Jaejoong and I alone in the lobby. ! He is gonna bring up last night. I focused my gaze at the gorgeous man in front of me. His eyes sparkling with burning curiosity as he gave me an expected look. He wants to know what happened with the coffee machine. I rolled my eyes as I sighed. Might as well as tell him. “One time I helped Naeun closed the café because she was short staffed. When she went to clean the kitchen I decided I wanted a latte. Well, long story short, Naeun comes back and milk is everywhere and the expresso machine wouldn’t stop pouring out coffee. I don’t know what the hell I did, but I was freaking out.”

                “Are you serious?” Jaejoong let out laughing. I just nodded. Jaejoong’s dorky laugh boomed happily making me smile. “How did you even manage that?”

                “Don’t know. Maybe I have a special talent,” I just shrugged. Everything I touch always seem to magically make my life difficult. Exhibit A is the coffee machine. And Exhibit B is defiantly my own phone. That damn device sent Jaejoong those text messages. You know, cell phones should have a drunk detector. If you’re drunk then the phone won’t send any stupid messages you type. I lifted my open hand towards him. I gave Jaejoong a serious face. “Sweater.”

                Jaejoong just simply shook his head. I let out a growl in annoyance as I leaned over the table towards him. I went to grab my hoodie, but Jaejoong simply snatched it away out of my reach. I narrowed my eyes at the man as he shook his head at me.

                “I can’t give you your sweater now.” Jaejoong said.

                “Why the hell not!”

                “Because if I give you the sweater then you will leave”

“So you are holding my sweater hostage!” I argued. “I won’t leave, Jaejoong!”

“Yes, you will.”

“Will not. I have to finish the food first.” I let out while pointing my chopsticks towards all the side dishes Naeun left us. I didn’t even care about the fact that I sounded fat.  “I don’t like wasting food.”

Jaejoong smiled shaking his head while grabbing his chopsticks. He lifted his hand breaking his wooden chopsticks apart and proceeded to dig in. When he tasted Naeun’s food his eyes widen. I just nodded at him like saying ‘I know right’. Although Naeun is a difficult woman there is no doubt she had an amazing talent for cooking. Even her side dishes tasted like they fell from heaven.

 Both Jaejoong and I continued to carry on a small conversation as we ate and drank. I told him how busy my schedule is now that we are having a comeback. I even told him how the company wants my band to do multiple comebacks within the next few months to compete with YG’s new girl group. He was concerned for me at first, but I completely waved him off telling him that I will be fine. When I told him about yesterday’s adventure after I left him, he was practically falling out of his chair laughing. 

He was laughing so hard that Naeun came out from the back to yell at us. During that conversation I can tell he held a depressed faraway look whenever Yunho and Changmin came up. He even asked how they were to which I answered that they miss him and his band. Jaejoong just nodded not wanting to go on with that. And I let him. Although I want them back together as soon as possible for them all to be happy, I won’t force it. I was wrong at first to think that I could. For now, I will focus on my friendship with Jaejoong. Only friendship, Sam. Nothing more.

 After I was done, Jaejoong then told me what was going on with him.

“So you’re preparing for a comeback?” I asked interested. Pinching kimchi between my chopsticks as I continued to eat.

“Yes. It’s a JYJ comeback. We just finished recording most of the songs. We just need to do the title song which features a female voice. We should be on M!Countdown next month.” Jaejoong let out happily.

I smiled at his bright face. He was glowing with happiness just at the fact that he can perform again. I am happy for him and his band. They deserve it after all they went through. They did not deserve to be put on a blacklist. No one deserves that.

“Who is the female voice?” I asked.

I grabbed the last soju bottle pouring him then myself a shot. Jaejoong quickly thanked me than downed his shot. I downed mine right after. A voice in the back of my mind warned me that I should leave. Telling me that I am staying in his company too long. The fact that I like it so much should make me leave. But I didn’t move. I stayed. I wanted to stay.

“We don’t know yet. Gummy offered to do it, but I was hoping to have someone else.”

“Really who?”

“You.”

I froze mid-chew. The pickled radish in my mouth losing its taste complete. My mouth went dry. I stared at Jaejoong’s sincere face in shock. Is he serious? I must have heard wrong. I stared at the soju bottle in confusion. Did I drink too much?

“Maybe I drank too much?” I breathed out. I placed my chopsticks down neatly on the empty kimchi plate signifying I was done. “I’m hearing things now.”

“No, you didn’t. You heard right.” Jaejoong let out in amusement. I snapped my head up to stare at Jaejoong in disbelief. “I want you to feature in our title song.” He let out seriously.

“Y-you can’t”

“Why?”

“You don’t know how I sound. I could sound like a freaking mermaid to myself, but actually sound like a dehydrated seal to other people.” I let out in panic.

 I know it was a lie. I always got compliments on my voice, but he doesn’t know that. He doesn’t know how my voice truly sounds. My heart raced. He can’t do this. Why am I excited? No! I can’t be.

“I’m sure you don’t sound like that.” Jaejoong breathed out with a smile. Without warning, he leaned over the table grabbing my shaking hands. I stopped breathing as his cool hands squeezed my warm hands. “I want you to feature in our album, Sam.”

I shook my head.

“I can’t. My com-“

“They won’t know. We could put you as an anonymous singer on the album.”

“But my schedule-“

“You can call me whenever you have free time and we will go to the recording studio. I don’t care about the time.”

“If this is about last night with the text and call. I was drunk I did-“

“It’s not about last night. I decided this the moment you told me you could sing.”

“But you haven’t heard me sing.” I tried to reason with him. Get him to stop. Get him to get someone else. Anyone else but me. I can’t do this. More like I can’t believe this is happening now. “Jaejoong.”

He gave my hands a gently squeeze. His brown eyes looked up at mine with determination. He wasn’t backing down. He will never back down. I was rendered speechless. That text yesterday gave him this courage. Me saying that I lied that I did feel something between us. It gave him this determination to keep on. I gave him the hope and determination.

Damn you alcohol and cell phone. This is all your fault. I should have just grabbed my sweater here and left. I never should have stayed and talked with him. I shouldn’t have felt so comfortable in his company. This is wrong.

“I will not give up, Sam. I want you to do this.” Jaejoong said.

I quickly pulled my hands away from his. My eyes were still staring at him like a deer in headlights. He hasn’t even heard me sing and here he is offering me to feature in his bands title song. Not as a rapper that all of Korea knows, but as a singer. I am from the same company that has tried relentlessly to ruin JyJ’s music career.

We just met! Hell two days ago, I think.

He can’t do this to someone he just met. Let alone me. I can’t. My company will never allow it.

 “No one will have to know it’s you, Sam. Kpop doesn’t have to know.” Jaejoong reassured me.

I just want to sing. And here is my chance. I will get to show the world what my voice will really sound like. I don’t even care if they know it’s me or not. As long as they all hear that voice. The voice that never got a chance to reach its full potential. A voice that was locked away begging to come out. This is my chance for me to release it and everyone to hear it. The company will never know it’s me, they can’t do anything. No one will ever know. All of Kpop will never know.

Without even thinking of the major future consequences, I grabbed Jaejoong’s hand agreeing immediately.

Jaejoong was in disbelief first saying he was prepared for me to profusely refuse and stomp out. He smile widely at me making my heart skip in excitement.

There is no going back. There is no stopping now. I have chosen my path. Whether is right or wrong, I don’t care. I want this. I want to do this. This is the best way to do this.

I continued to stare at Jaejoong’s glowing face as he talked animatedly about his band and the song. He kept reassuring me that I will be anonymous. That no one will know it’s me.