Chapter 15

Will you be my True Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lay stood near the widow that overlooked the hospital drive, looking out and lost in thoughts. Kris sat on one of the benches in the corridor, face buried in his palms. Jay sat next to him, curled up like a cat, her eyes reflecting the light coming in through the window. Luhan and Lihwa were dozing off on one of the other benches.

Five hours. Five hours the gurney carrying Ming and the of doctors and nurses had disappeared into the Operation Theatre. The light over the OT door was still red. The doctors were still working on her.

None from the little group waiting outside the OT had moved from their positions. They didn't seem to notice that it was past lunch time. Jay had thanked Lihwa fervently and had told her she need not wait at the hospital and that they would call her when there was news. But Lihwa has said she didn't mind and had insisted on staying.

Ming's phone had continuously kept beeping because of the number of messages that come coming once people started seeing Jay's message about Ming. Bugged with it, Jay had logged out of her account.

Zhixin had turned up an hour after Ming had been taken into the OT. He had seen Jay's message and had tried calling her phone. But, as Jay explained to him, her phone was back at her house. Tired of waiting around with no news and feeling rather restless sitting around at the hospital, he had offered to go fetch Jay's phone for her.

"This damn thing won't stop ringing!", Zhixin announced, as he finally returned to the hospital with Jay's phone.

At his arrival, the little frozen group seemed to thaw a little. Kris lifted his face up from his hands. Luhan woke up from his doze and saw Lihwa's head resting on his shoulder. Lay turned around to look at Zhixin while Jay uncurled herself from the bench and got up. She held out her hand for her phone.

"Thanks, Zhixin.", she said, as Zhixin placed it on her palm.

She the phone and was greeted Kai's adorable face, which was her wallpaper. She quickly unlocked the phone to check for calls and texts. She saw:

57 missed calls.

5 new messages.

She wondered who had been so desperate to get in touch with her. She opened the messages. All of them were from Zhixin when he had texted her earlier. She clicked on the missed calls. There were 10 missed calls from Zhixin and 47 missed calls from... ~Kai oppa❤ ~

Jay gasped and clutched her phone tight as she saw the name. Kai...called her? KAI CALLED HER? She felt the wind whooshing out of her like she had been knocked down. She felt light headed and clumsily sat back down on the bench. None of the others seemed to notice anything. They had all gone back to waiting for news of Ming.

But Jay's heart was racing. Had Kai really called her? Did Kai want to talk to her? Should she call him back? She was still mulling these things over in her head when her phone screen lit up and started ringing. She clicked the mute button quickly as her phone made a loud noise in the silent corridor. Everyone turned to look at her curiously. She shook her head at them and turned back to the name on the screen

~Kai oppa❤ ~

Her heart was pounding so hard against her chest, it felt like it wanted to burst it open and come out. She hesitated with her finger over the answer button. After a while, the call got cut off automatically.

Jay sighed and lowered her phone. 48 missed calls. What did Kai want to talk to her about so urgently. Had he finally found a girl good enough for him? Was he getting married? Had he moved on and left Jay behind? Jay's face was a mask as she locked her phone and curled up on the bench again.

After a gap of five minutes, her phone screen lit up and her phone vibrated again.

~Kai oppa❤ ~

She again stared at the name, hesitating whether or not to answer. Her feelings were mixed. She was sort of happy that Kai was calling her. Sort of irritated that he was calling her after breaking up. Sort of angry that he took so much time to call. Sort of afraid about why he was calling. And sort of relieved that he called her first.

She was just about to press the answer button when there was a beep and the light over the OT turned green. She looked up from her phone to see the OT door opening and the doctors emerging from inside. Without noticing what she was doing, she locked her phone cutting off the call. She along with the others, jumped up from her place and hurried towards the doctor.

The head doctor saw them coming and pulled off his operation mask. His face relaxed into a smile as he saw their worried expressions. "You guys can smile.", he told them, "Your friend is out of danger."

Jay gave a relieved shaky "Oh!", and sat down with a thump on the bench.

"She's okay! She's okay!", she kept repeating to herself as she felt the exhaustion of the previous night finally taking over her. Lay was talking to the doctor and Luhan, Kris and Zhixin were with him. Lihwa sat down next to her and put an arm around her. Jay gladly leaned into the elder's embrace. Her eyes felt heavy from not having slept the previous night.

Lay finished his conversation with the doctor and turned around to find Jay nearly passed out on the bench in Lihwa's arms.

"Jay?", he called gently, kneeling down beside her, "Let's get you home, okay?"

"No," Jay replied groggily, "I wanna stay with Ming."

"Jay, Ming is still sleeping.", said Lihwa, gently, "Why don't you go get some sleep and then come back later when she is awake?" Too tired to argue, Jay nodded and allowed herself to be hoisted to her feet by Kris.

"Jay, Luhan will take you home, okay?", said Kris, "I'll call you when Ming is awake" Jay again nodded, tiredly.

Luhan turned to Lihwa, "How did you get here yesterday? Did you drive?"

Lihwa shook her head, "No, I took the bus."

"Well, then, I'll drop you off too if you want to come?", he offered.

"Thanks", said Lihwa, and picked up her purse.

Luhan got into the driver's seat, while Li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter