#18 Challenge

Between Us -forever yours-
~ Yoseob's POV
 
"So it's decided," one of the music producers hand over a paper for each of us. "The Digital Extended Play will be titled K.E.Y., standing for your initials."
 
I read the tracklist, consisting of four titles. The title for the main track is still not decided yet but three of us, Kyuri, Eunhyuk, and Yoseob, will sing the song in a pop-dance genre.
 
Eunhyuk's lyrics are approved to be included for the title track meanwhile Kyuri's will be developed for the second track, the one where Eunhyuk and I will record in hiphop style.
 
The third track is a ballad and it's personally composed by a famous musician for Kyuri. I will accompany her as duet partner.
 
The last one is, of course, given to Kyuri and Eunhyuk, a pop and R&B track. This is the only song to tell the story about falling in love instead of heartbreaking ones.
 
"Now, before we start the lyrics discussion, about the music video," the producer turns to Kyuri. "Have you made up your mind?"
 
Now is the time.
 
"Ah, excuse me, I actually want to give an idea," I raise my hand, asking time to voice out my thought. I take a paper I have prepared since days ago, sliding it to the producers. "This is the revised lyrics and... a random idea for story line."
 
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
 
After our first discussion, the day I saw Kyuri lost her temperance towards Eunhyuk, I knew immediately they were in a middle of couple fight. I wanted to talk to Kyuri but a part of me held me back.
 
Perhaps it's just an instinct of someone who loved her so much that I didn't want to listen about what Eunhyuk did to her until she became that angry.
 
Therefore I came to Eunhyuk, asking about what actually happened between them, after Kyuri left for her own schedule.
 
"Is it about Kyuri?" Eunhyuk asked me without any hesitation but there's no threatening or offended tone. "It is about her, right?"
 
I chuckled, trying my best not to make the situation became an awkward one, "Everyone would do the same if they felt the tension between you two."
 
Eunhyuk sighed, "She wanted to be your duet partner so bad, Yoseob."
 
Eh?
 
"I just don't... No offence, Yoseob, but her attention towards you...," he looked at me with serious gaze. "I don't like it."
 
It felt like he just stabbed me with a knife, right through my chest.
 
Though he sounded really rude, I wondered if I would feel the same if I was in his shoes. Was it because Kyuri's first request to have me as her duet partner instead of him? Was it because I stayed with her by myself after her accident?
 
What was it? What made him aware of me?
 
The three seconds silence felt like a year for me. I broke the ice after carefully selecting the words, "Did she say something that made you upset, Hyung?"
 
"No," Eunhyuk heaved another sigh. "Well, maybe yes. I didn't know. I just... The fact that you two are best friends is undeniable and, as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm jealous, Yoseob. I really am."
 
He shouldn't be. It's supposed to be me. It's me who was jealous of him, of having the world acknowledged Kyuri as his girlfriend.
 
Then, without giving it a second thought, I just blurted out what I had in mind, "Don't you believe her anymore, Hyung?"
 
"What?" he frowned, afraid that he just misheard my question.
 
"It's the first time I saw her lost her patience and, really, I couldn't help but to think what kind of big fight you two have...," I secretly clenched my fists. "Isn't this silly?"
 
Eunhyuk looked like he wanted to grab my collar and demanded me to repeat the provocative words but he didn't do it, "You can think whatever you want. I'm leaving if that's all you want to say, Yoseob."
 
"Hyung, why don't we have a dare?" Eunhyuk stopped on his track upon my challenge. He turned to me with a confused look.
 
"If you believe her, then I think you won't mind if her best friend stays close to her during the recording, do you?" I asked him.
 
It was crazy. I knew it was but, another part of me who held still as Kyuri's best friend, wanted to fix this situation.
 
Without Kyuri returned my feeling, it made me sad already. To think that she's not happy now... it made me felt even worse.
 
"Fine," Eunhyuk responded unexpectedly. "Why don't you take the lead role for our music video with her?"
 
"Eh?" I blinked, this time becoming the one who was confused. "Music video?"
 
Eunhyuk nodded, looking at me with confidence, "In one condition."
 
 
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
 
 
"Oh, this is actually good," the female producer murmurs to the others. "I like the concept. We just need to try breaking down to several scenes."
 
I intertwine my fingers, feeling nervous as if I just submitted my final answer sheet of national exam. Both Eunhyuk and Kyuri look really curious with my idea.
 
"The lyrics are nice too," another producer comments, nodding to me. "This is actually better than the last one you submitted, Yoseob."
 
The last one I submitted is rejected due to messed up words in line. This one, I made it in the past two days at night, writing down the words and idea with full concentration.
 
Eunhyuk asked me to give my own idea to be wrapped up in the music video. If the producers approved it, I could take the lead role for our music video with Kyuri.
 
To be honest, when my lyrics were rejected three days ago on our second discussion, it's a mental breakdown for me. How could I submit the story idea if my lyrics were not even approved?
 
That night, when Kyuri's song played on my shuffled playlist, I suddenly realized that it's me forcing myself to create something that made it no good.
 
So I tried to forget Eunhyuk's challenge, writing my inspiration in words, pouring my feeling for Kyuri as lyrics so I can sing it.
 
Therefore what I wrote is not intended to a show off towards Eunhyuk, not to show that I can do better than him, nor to fulfill his challenge. In fact I don't even think to take the lead role anymore.
 
I wasn't thinking straight that day. Who am I to act like a brat like that, wanting to be close with his girlfriend?
 
"We like it," the producer team lead concludes, taps on the paper twice. "I think we can use it but..."
 
He takes a quick glance of the storyline again before announcing a surprise, "The lead roles for the music video should be Yoseob and Kyuri."
 
What?