#19 Break

Between Us -forever yours-
~ Kyuri's POV
 
Peter Pan.
 
It's the theme for K.E.Y., the trio consists of me, Eunhyuk, and Yoseob for our very first special Digital Extended Play.
 
Instead of going with the pop-dance genre for the title track, the producer team has decided to propose for a contemporary R&B genre after considering Yoseob's lyrics two weeks ago.
 
The producer team took a full day to discuss about the possible change, not even letting Eunhyuk and I to get a glimpse about what's actually stirring their decision all of a sudden.
 
I asked Yoseob for multiple times but earned nothing as answer. He only told me to wait patiently and heard the decision from the producer team themselves instead from him.
 
To make it even worse, my intuition keeps telling me that Eunhyuk knows something about it. He didn't look surprised to hear that Yoseob would be the lead for music video instead of him like what they had planned before.
 
He did look surprised for a second but that's that. It's like he had predicted this turn of event beforehand.
 
The decision was delivered to us ten days ago, telling us that the music was currently in work and we would listen to the demo version soon.
 
"Here's the lyrics and we have distributed the lines for three of you," the producer team's representative, Lee Yurin, hands the paper to us. "Tell us if you have your own opinion. Let's take them to the account and discuss it further."
 
She also explains to us that Yoseob owns the credit for original lyrics but some are edited to fit the music flow. Eunhyuk's rap lyrics are also included in the song.
 
The instrumental demo version is played on the laptop, showcasing the R&B vibes with guitar and baritone as companion. I can also hear piano melodies aong with slow drum beats.
 
"I like it," Eunhyuk is the first to comment. His eyes are still fixed on the paper, "I get the beat for the rap part... I think."
 
Yurin smiles with satisfaction and starts to tell us about the theme and concept of Peter Pan for us.
 
Since the producer team likes Yoseob's lyrics a lot, they know the music video needs to relate with it. The one who is more suitable to play the role of Peter Pan is Yoseob, not Eunhyuk, since he's well known with his cute persona.
 
Reading the lyrics, I must admit that the lyrics are really interesting. As a singer, besides of the music itself, I think the lyrics are also really important because we're sending messages through our music with the lyrics.
 
I could understand very well why Yoseob won the producer team's attention with the lyrics.
 
Simply magical yet heartbreaking. I can't find better words to describe what the lyrics make me feel when I read them and listen to the instrumental.
 
"As for the plot...," Yurin clasps her hands, gaining our attention altogether, "...we have the idea but let's not decide everything in a minute. We need to make sure of some points first."
 
She glances at me, raising her eyebrow, "Kyuri, you'll be the lead actress for music video. Do you have any concern about that? If yes, we need to look for an actress as soon as possible."
 
I open my mouth but close it again. Of course I have no objection for taking the lead role but my eyes automatically just fall on Eunhyuk.
 
No matter how many days have passed since the last time I actually talked nicely to him, Eunhyuk is still my boyfriend and I don't have the intention to be the cruel girlfriend anytime soon.
 
Although all of us are professionals, knowing our situation is far from good, I wonder if it's a good decision to be lead actress with Yoseob instead of Eunhyuk himself.
 
"I think it's a good idea," Eunhyuk voices out his opinion, totally surprising me. "Especially Kyuri and Yoseob are currently in talk among the fans about their long friendship. The fans will love they together on scene."
 
I look at him with wide eyes. Did he just say things I thought he would never say?
 
Within the year we're together as a couple, Eunhyuk never tried to push me together with any guy. Not even for a single joke.
 
Sure he's not a guy who shows his jealousy to the world, except he's being one noawadays when Yoseob is around, and that's exactly why I am shocked to know that he voiced out his thought of me and Yoseob together for a music video. Our music video.
 
"Nice! The boyfriend granted the request!" Yurin clicks her fingers and smiles to Yoseob. "I know you won't mind either, Yoseob, so all we need to know now is..."
 
"Kyuri?"
 
 
~ Eunhyuk's POV
 
If there is one thing I never like but I must endure of being an idol who has a love life, it's the fact that I must bear with all topics regarding my girlfriend and other guys.
 
For example, some of her fans prefer her to be with Donghae who is in the same group with me. Some others think she looks perfect with Junsu, my best friend.  Even the other idols often tease me about how Kyuri looks more like a couple with other guys.
 
All of them are just random jokes but, seriously, I don't like it so no one would expect me to agree having Kyuri on screen together with another guy.
 
Sounds too protective and obsessive, doesn't it? But, no, I don't demand her to stay away from the guys because, of course, it's impossible.
 
I'm cool with her friendship with other male idols but I have no idea why I can't take it the same when it comes to her friendship with Yoseob.
 
"Hyukjae Oppa?"
 
I stop my steps upon hearing the familiar voice, the one I actually miss to call my name like how she always did.
 
Now I don't know why I could let us stop talking for so long when I actually miss her so much. Looking at her who gives me the suspicious look makes my heart aches.
 
What happened between us really?
 
Is it me, who is being a jerk by pretending to be cool when all I was feeling inside just jealousy that killing me softly? Is it her, who doesn't notice how much Yoseob actually cares for her while I can't take them in a picture together?
 
When Yoseob talked to me weeks ago, I knew that my intuition is just not a random hunch. He doesn't need to tell me with words but, as a man, I know he doesn't see Kyuri as just a best friend.
 
He likes her. Screw it. He loves her. Perhaps he loves her even before I fell for her.
 
"What was that?" Kyuri shoots me with disbelief look. "Did you just agree to let me be lead roles together with Yoseob?"
 
"Hmm," I just respond simply. "Why?"
 
We're standing in the middle of the corridor, metres away from the meeting room where we just decided to start the filming in three days with Kyuri and Yoseob as the lead roles.
 
I was the first to agree with the decision. As silly and ridiculous as I could be, I actually hoped she would oppose the decision, to ease my doubt and asked for me to be the lead role instead...
 
...but she didn't.
 
"I don't know, Oppa...," she heaves a sigh, not trying to hide how disappointed she is at the moment. "With your attitude and we barely even talk to each other... Are we even still together?"
 
Her question pierces me straight on my heart. I gulp with nervousness, knowing that it's not like she actually needs an answer from me.
 
"I don't know either, Kyuri...," I clench my fists, surpressing my emotion which is twisting my heart inside. "I'm not fine with this cold war between us. I'm not fine with you being alright without me. Call me selfish and all, Kyuri, but I'm not fine now."
 
"And I don't know how to be fine when I'm not," I tell her the truth.
 
Silence surrounds us and how tears start to well up in her eyes makes me feel even worse now.
 
"Is that...," she is choked with the attempt to hold back the tears. "Are you... trying to ask for a break?"
 
No. Why should I ask that to her? How could I ask for a break when my heart is longing for her but my brain just doesn't work the way it should be?
 
The real answer doesn't manage to leave my mouth.
 
Both of our managers call for us almost at the same time, cutting off our conversation in instance.
 
"I should have known better," Kyuri murmurs softly, forcing a smile. "That a promise is made to be broken."
 
She leaves me with a heart that is crying silently after telling me her thought.
 
"You said you would be my first and my last. You are my first... but you won't be my last."