#08 Confession

Between Us -forever yours-
~ Eunhyuk's POV
 
It's almost midnight when I see her training alone in the dance practice room, moving her body along with the rhythm of the upbeat song. From her moves, I can assume that she has practiced for a while.
 
Four months have passed since the car accident. Kyuhyun is still recovering and our comeback with second album is postponed until next month. It's so unfortunate but at least I'm grateful that Kyuhyun is still alive.
 
The doctor said it would take a while for him to recover and join us on the stage for dancing and all but he will be alright. Meanwhile the rest of us practice without hesitation, trying to do our best so we will not disappoint our fans.
 
That's why I'm still around where she is because my groupmates and I are practicing for our comeback. I just take a break to get some drink for myself before returning to the practice.
 
I stand in front of the door for minutes, studying her moves through the glass side. I decide to open the door and greet her when she stops, putting both of her hands on hip, staring at the ceiling with unsteady breath.
 
"Hey," I step inside, gaining her full attention. "You practiced really hard. Isn't your promotion weeks for the album have ended?"
 
Kyuri gives a small smile as she drops her gaze to the floor, still trying to control her breath, "I'm not good in dancing so I need to practice whenever I can."
 
The awkward silence surrounds us as I feel somewhat clueless. I don't know why but there is this unexplained awkwardness when we're alone like this lately.
 
Ever since I returned to my routinity after the accident, it's such a rare occasion for me to meet Kyuri unless it's about work. She was extremely busy with her album and I was trying my best to prepare for our comeback.
 
When I finally met her alone when I paid a visit after her live performance, she didn't talk much. It's like... she avoided me?
 
"Aren't you supposed to return for practice, Eunhyuk Oppa?" she chooses to ask, walking away to turn off the music. "You have a lot to do, don't you?"
 
This. Shoving me away. Is it just me being over sensitive or she is actually doesn't want me to be around her?
 
"What do you think about a dance battle?" I suggest, putting the drink I just bought on the floor. I walk to her and press 'play'. "Come on. It's been a while since we practiced together, isn't it?"
 
"Dance battle?" Kyuri repeats. "I can't even be compared with you, Oppa. You're just wasting your time with me."
 
"Then so be it," I stretch out my hands. "I'm doing what I want to do. There is nothing wrong with it, right? Unless you hate me so much that you feel suffocate just because I'm here."
 
She sighs and gets on her position, "Fine. I'll go first then."
 
"Lady is first," I let her to start. She takes some small steps before doing the body wave according to the music. Her hair moves along and her gaze is sharp but...
 
...her eyes never stop on me.
 
After around thirty seconds, I take my turn. Instead of doing the breakdance like what I always do, I slide forward, closing the distance between me and Kyuri. Before she can even move, I wrap her waist with my left arm, pulling her close to me.
 
"Y-Y-Y-Yah!" she tries to push me away, stammering with extra nervousness. "W-W-What... Yah!"
 
Does she have any idea that my heart is actually beating like crazy, that my blood is rushing to brain in abnormal speed, and that I just want her to look at me in the eyes like what she always did?
 
"What's wrong with us?" I give her a question that doesn't sound really ordinary but I care none of it at the moment. "Why do I feel that you're trying to avoid me, Kyuri?"
 
"Nothing!" she answers quickly, still trying to push me away. "Yah, it's supposed to be a dance battle! What ar-"
 
"Nothing?" I use my free hand to cup her cheek so she will look at me directly. "Even if I tell you that I like you?"
 
There I go.
 
I like Kyuri. As in really, really, really like her. More than just a junior. More than just a friend. More than just a sister.
 
I love her as a woman.
 
It didn't take long for me to realize it, especially after the accident. When she smiled at me, it felt like everything would be alright. When she's not around, I started to miss her for no reason.
 
Kyuri doesn't give me an answer but her eyes widen upon my confession. None of us says a word until I continue, "I really, really like you, Kyuri, and it hurts me to see you trying to avoid me. What did I do? Tell me."
 
She shakes her head slowly, once again, avoiding my gaze, "Nothing... Nothing at all..."
 
I let go of her, feeling hurt towards her reaction. Is it a rejection?
 
"Do you hate me?" I ask her after she takes a step backward.
 
"No!" she immediately answers, finally look up at me. "No, Oppa... I don't... Of course I don't hate you... I just... I'm sorry..."
 
The music keeps filling the room and I just look at her without a word. Kyuri closes her eyes and she looks troubled so I ask her, "Did something happen that I don't know?"
 
"I just... I don't know...," she sighs. "Confession for me is just too... Can I... I don't want to think about anything but career for now. I'm sorry, Eunhyuk Oppa..."
 
She is hiding something from me. I know it. But I don't feel it's the right time for me to interrogate her.
 
"Fine...," I fake a laugh, hoping it will not become an awkward situation which is futile. "Well... Just pretend I never said a word then!"
 
"I'm going back to practice then! I... I see you around," I walk to the door and my smile vanishes; what left is a broken heart right now.
 
The girl I love is so close yet seems so faraway from me.
 
Lee Hyukjae, you just messed up everything.