#05 Eunhyuk's Heart

Between Us -forever yours-
~ Eunhyuk's POV
 
I open my eyes slowly, gaining back my concentration. It's all white around me. Where am I?
 
Right. I'm in a hospital. I must be in one of the wards. My head feels heavy but I force myself to move slightly just to make sure that I'm not dreaming.
 
As I try to move my hand, I realize that someone is resting her head on the side of bed, holding my hand gently in her sleep. She looks really tired but doesn't bother to sit and wait for me till she fell asleep.
 
Kyuri.
 
My lips form into a weak smile, knowing that she is here to wait until I open my eyes. She looks like an angel and, I guess if I don't know her, I will think that I'm already in heaven now.
 
I try to sit up but I can't; the pain pierces my back, making me to bite my bottom lip because I don't want to cause any sound.
 
The sudden memory of what happened last night strikes my mind.
 
I was on my way back to the apartment with Leeteuk, Shindong, Kyuhyun, and our managers after a session of KBS Super Junior Kiss The Radio. It's a little after midnight if I'm not mistaken.
 
While we were on the highway, the front left tire busted as the driver was switching lanes. The van ran into the guard rail on the driver's side. It skidded for about thirty metres or so and, at some point, the momentum caused the van to flip over on its right side.
 
It was a serious accident. A really serious one. I knew it. I fainted for a moment and, when I opened my eyes, my back was really hurt but I ignored the pain.
 
I rushed to find the other members. My eyes found Kyuhyun, lying at one corner, crying for thing I didn't know going inside his head.
 
Running to his side, I held his hands tight, praying for him. My tears rolled down, not because of my pain but because I was scared to death that something would happen to Kyuhyun. Something that I would never want to happen.
 
After the ambulance came, all of us were brought to the hospital. I was half conscious when we arrived at the hospital. The other members arrived a while after Kyuhyun entered the ICU room.
 
They arrived with Kyuri. She was in shock to find out about the accident. I remember she fainted when she found about Kyuhyun's condition. I didn't manage to talk with her since I was dragged to another room to be aided.
 
Perhaps I fainted not too long after that. I'm pretty sure the other members are with Kyuhyun or probably Leeteuk right now. I really hope they are alright.
 
"Oppa...?" Kyuri rubs her eyes slowly, stirring to look at me.
 
I embrace her hand as a sign that I have woken up. I want to call out her name but I just can't so this is the only thing I can do right now.
 
A smile blossoms on her face as a tear rolls down on her cheeks. Kyuri holds my hand tight with hers, "You're awake... Thanks God, you're awake. I'm really... I'm really... Really worried..."
 
Slowly but sure, I wipe away her tears with my thumb, too weak to say something to her. She lets me touch her warm cheek as she starts telling me that there were glass shards in my back. I have received stitches and I need serious bed rest.
 
She spent the whole night with me after she gained her consciousness. She fainted due to the shock and Yesung was the one who accompanied her until she woke up. Shindong is the least injured and he managed to leave the accident with just cuts and bruises.
 
The others, just like my guess, are with Kyuhyun and Leeteuk. They are in serious condition. That's why Kyuri decided to stay with me.
 
"Do you need anything?" Kyuri doesn't hide her anxiety. I guess it's because I haven't said a word to her. "Anything. At all."
 
I caress her right cheek slowly as I whisper the first word ever since I woke up, "Smile..."
 
"Eh?" she blinks in surprise, afraid that she might have mistaken what she just heard.
 
"Smile," I murmur vividly, trying my best to say it out loud. "Don't cry."
 
I don't want to see her cry. Seeing her tears makes my heart to ache. It hurts enough to think that both Kyuhyun and Leetuk are in critical condition. It will be a torture to see Kyuri like this.
 
She will release her full album next month and now, here she is, crying for us. She has been really close to all of us as our little sister.
 
How can I help myself to care more about her by each day we spend together? She is such a sweet and caring girl. Her smile always makes my day.
 
"Oppa...," Kyuri lets out a smile. A sad but not a forced smile.
 
For a split of seconds I forget that I'm in a middle of painful moment. Having her smile only for me; it's even stronger than a medicine.
 
Somehow, within a part of my heart, I know that she is more than just a little sister for me now. She is more than a special friend or labelmate.
 
When she visits me everyday despite her hectic schedule for the upcoming album, when she willingly comes to accompany me and the others until Kyuhyun spent six days in the ICU room before he was moved to a regular hospital room, and when Yoseob, her best friend, came to visit me.
 
All of thsoe moments are carved in my mind and heart carefully.
 
We can't celebrate her 17th birthday this year, on the day her first album is released. We're in the hospital to accompany Kyuhyun who can barely walk on his own.
 
Strange enough, that night I realize one fact that I can't even deny anymore.
 
Her precense makes me feel that the world is a better place.
 
I miss Kyuri.
 
 
##########
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE
 
The car accident really happened on April 19, 2007.
This is a video about the accident, created by a fan.