#07 Sorry

Between Us -forever yours-
~ Kyuri's POV
 
"Are you... Are you in love with Eunhyuk?"
 
The sudden question comes from Yoseob and I guess I'm just too shocked that I drop the knife I was using to slice the birthday cake he brought for me, "E-e-eh? W-What... Why did you ask that, Yoseob?"
 
Why did I even stammer? Am I trying to fool my best friend who knows me even better than myself?
 
"Because it looks like that," he retorts with a small smile, which looks so unusual from him. "Are you?"
 
I look somewhere else, feeling too nervous to look at his eyes because my heart starts beating faster just by the thought of me falling for Eunhyuk. But then again, it's my best friend who asks me here.
 
"It's not... I'm just...," I clear my throat awkwardly. "Eunhyuk Oppa is a really, really sweet guy... I mean... Who am I to think that he..."
 
Not able to continue the confession of me falling in love with my labelmate, I stop and cover my mouth without even thinking. How deep have I fallen in love with Eunhyuk actually?
 
At first I thought it's just me being respectful of him, for him being like a big brother for me who's the only child in my family, for us as labelmates with close friendship. I thought I just saw him as a figure I idolized...
 
...but I guess it's all just excuse for me not to admit that my heart has been yearning for him quite a while. Thanks to him being so nice and sweet towards me. Eunhyuk can always make me feel better when I'm down and make me smile when I don't feel like one.
 
Since I'm a solo artist, it always feels lonely from time to time. Super Junior surely erases that feeling away but only Eunhyuk that makes me feel so special just by his smile.
 
I barely could sleep when he had not waken up after the car accident. I kept holding his hand, praying that he would be alright. I was worried about the others as well but I volunteered to be the one who stayed with Eunhyuk.
 
When Eunhyuk opened his eyes and asked me to smile, that's when I finally realized that I have fallen in love with him. Perhaps a little bit longer than I have realized.
 
However I don't have any courage to admit it nor to expect that he will return my feeling. Really. I mean who am I to ask for his love?
 
"I see...," Yoseob mumbles, having my attention back on him. He puts a paper bag he'd been holding on the table. "I have... I need to go somewhere."
 
"Eh? Now?" I frown, feeling strange that he suddenly needs to leave. "But you just arrived! Why don't-"
 
"I'm sorry," he stands up and pats my head. "I'll see you again... Later. Good night. Happy birthday."
 
Before I can even say another word, Yoseob has walked out from my apartment. I stand still on my feet, trying to figure out what made him want to leave as fast as possible from my place.
 
Is it because he has another practice session? Did I say something wrong?
 
My gaze falls on the birthday cake. Come to think of it, it's been a while since the last time Yoseob talked about his own practice life. It's always me who kept talking about...
 
...Eunhyuk?
 
Ten minutes have passed after Yoseob left and I just sat down, not even thinking about taking a bite of the cake.
 
Then I flinch slightly when I hear knocks on the door.
 
"Kyuri?" my best friend's voice echoes, calling out my name. "Are you still awake?"
 
I quickly open the door and excitement fills my chest when I see his face, "Yoseob!"
 
"Plan changed," he chuckles and steps inside. "Come to think of it, is it alright if you have a visitor at this time anyway? Aren't you afraid that rumors will appear?"
 
"Of course not!" I close the door and laugh. "You're my best friend after all! Why should I worry about that?"
 
I was going to ask why he left on the first place but I hold the urge when his smile disappears. He looks at me with serious expression that makes me nervous, "W-What is it, Yoseob?"
 
He doesn't say anything for five seconds but his next question surprises me, "We're best friends, right?"
 
I nod slowly, "Of course... Like... Well, forever? What is it? What's wrong with you?"
 
His next statement doesn't meet my expectation; the words I never think will ever come from him.
 
"Then is it alright if I love you?"
 
Did I just hear what I think I heard? Did he just... confess to me?
 
"Yoseob!" I punch his arm playfully, trying to laugh it off. "That's very funny! You got me on my birthday this year!"
 
But he doesn't laugh. Instead he gives me a weak smile, "It's not alright, isn't it, Kyuri?"
 
"Because your heart is beating for someone else now," Yoseob heaves a sigh. "Ah, who am I to think that you will see me more than just a best friend?"
 
No way. He can't be serious... right?
 
"I'm sorry," he shakes his head. "Just forget it. Forget whatever I just said and let's just eat your birthday cake. Come on."
 
I don't follow him to the sofa because I'm still too shocked with his confession. I bite my bottom lip out of nervousness and turn to him who just calmly cuts the cake.
 
"Yoseob...," I feel awkward for the first time since I became friends with him. "I... You... What... I'm sorry I-"
 
"Don't," Yoseob cuts my words as he puts down the knife. He intertwines his fingers and looks at me, "Don't apologize. Because you're just confirming that I can never love you more than a friend."
 
It feels like someone just threw a knife through my chest. I should be happy when I receive a confession, right? But when it comes to my best friend...
 
"I.. I'm... I'm sorry, Yoseob, I-"
 
"I told you to not apologize, didn't I?" Yoseob leaves his seat and walks to me. "But you're so kind-hearted that I can't help to fall for you, Kyuri."
 
He hugs me and whispers, "I should be the one who apologizes. I'm sorry, Kyuri."
 
He lets go of me and smiles, "Good luck with your promotion. I'll see you again... one day. Best friends forever, aren't we?"
 
Then he leaves for the second time this night...
 
...but this time I know he's not going to come back again.
 
 
##########
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE
 
I suddenly realize I had not been writing with my own writing style for this story, the reason why I kept messing with the storyline.
I'm going to go on with my usual writing style now.
 
Or is it just me? I don't even know if I have my own writing style. LOL. XD
 
Let's see what will I have in next chapter!