14: Tale of a Girl in the Wind

Living as a Vampire

 

The Girl in the Wind

Long ago, I was just a little kid living in an orphanage, my parents died in the war when I was only an infant. Now, I'm living with my mother in the farm. She's not my biological mom, but she's lovely and kind to me. "Mom! Look! I made it!" I said cheerfully as I showed her my paper folded windmill, "Wow, you did that by yourself?" she asked and I nodded.

 

She smiled and hugged me, I hugged her back. "Stephanie." she called out my name, "Yes, mom?" she looked to me. "Did you know the story of the windmill?" she asked, I just shook my head. "I'll tell you the story," she sat beside me and handed the paper folded windmill.

 

She told me the story when I was 8 years old. The story of the windmill was the story of a beautiful lady who met a handsome and kind man in the windmill, everyday they would meet inside and talk about everything until they fall in love. But one day, the beautiful lady didn't showed up to the man and he didn't know that her love of his life died in unknown death. Day by day, night by night, he is still waiting for her until he died. The windmill that used to be their home vanished one day and became a paper folded windmill in the ground...

 

Every night, my mom always telling me stories before I go to sleep. I loved listening some stories, even scary stories that made by Jessica and Krystal, the Jung sisters. They are orphans too, they escaped in the orphanage and live as little thieves. My mom always gives them foods and dresses whenever they passed by in our house.

 

When I was 19 years old already, my mom became weak and ill, I paid all my attention to my mom who's sick in bed. We don't have enough money to buy some medicines for her, I also seek help to the sisters. Jessica said that theirs the only way to have money, I have to work as a human maid in the palace of the Volturi. But I don't think it's the only way, maybe there must be more ways to have money.

 

Jessica, Krystal and I, tried to find a job. And we chose to be maids, unexpectedly, we are hired immediately. We are Lady Catharine's maids, she's a good vampire, and not all vampires are evil. We started to worked, and we've met Sooyoung, Yuri, Sunny, and Yoona. I already know that they were vampires, and they only drink blood every week.

 

"Stephanie..." Someone called my name, I turn around and saw Lady Catharine. I smiled and went to her, "Can I have a word with you?" she asked. I nodded and followed her, we went to her room. It was big and beautiful, with a front desk and five bookshelves behind and a queen sized bed.

 

"I have to talk with you about your life, Stephanie." She snapped out of my mind and turn to me, "My life?" She just nodded. "You are an orphan, aren't you?" She asked as she started to read a book and sitted to her swiveling chair. "Y-Yes, I am an orphan." I answered, "Do you have a family? Siblings?"

 

"I only have a mother." 

 

"Why do you want to talk about my life?" I asked, she looked to me and smirked. "So that I may understand your situation right now, I don't want misunderstandings with my maids because of what they feel. I have to know what is your life back then before I could respond." she explained, "I already know about the Jung sister's life before they became my maids. You are the last one whom I don't know your life before this."

 

She put her both arms in her desk and rested her head in her hands, she looked to me again and grin. "I can see in your eyes that you have something to say, tell me." she said, "I... I need money... to buy some medicines for my mom." I answered. She smirked and leaned on her chair, "So that's the only reason why you worked with me?"

 

My eyes widen, "N-No, that's... it's not the only reason why I worked here," I smiled nervously, "I want to have friends, instead of the sisters, I want to have friends with them... with you, too." I said. "Want to have friends, hm? What are we doing now? Aren't we friends yet?" she said, "A maid who works with me will be considered as my friends, unless if you don't want to have friends with us." then she continued flipping a page of the book.

 

"You are adopted, right? Did you know your true family?" She turn a page of her book and looked at me, "No, they are dead before I could remember." I said. She just nodded and turn again a page of the book, "Can you tell Taeyeon that I'm waiting for her to the living room?" She requested.

 

"Who is Taeyeon?" I asked with confusion, she looked to me. "The one who is in the guest room." She said, I nodded, "As you wish, my lady." I went out of Lady Catharine's room to the guest room where that Taeyeon is. I knocked at the door and open it, I saw a short woman who's wearing a simple black night gown. I went inside, I smiled and bow to her, "Lady Catharine was waiting for you, she wants to see you." After that, I was going to go outside.

 

"Wait," she said as she holds my arm causing me to look at her, "What?" Then a pause cause came from her. "Tell me, am I still a human?" She asked whle looking at me, a pale white skin and fangs in can tell. "You are no longer a human." As I shook my head. I looked to her face, she was shocked and trying to remember what happened, then she looked down.

 

"Come on," I said as I pulled her arm, "She must be waiting for you." We went outside and stepped in the living room. I saw Lady Catharine, she was still reading the same book. I leave them two for a private talk. That Taeyeon must be a new born vampire, I can see in her face that she was new to her...

 

~~

 

"Hey, Steph." I was startled as Jessica called my name. I turned to her with a raised eyebrows, "Yes?" I asked, "Let's visit your mom, it's been a week since we last saw her in your house." Krystal said while eating her sandwich. "Can we ask permission to Lady Catharine first before we could go back to our house?" I said, Krystal hissed. "High Vampires wouldn't allow human maid to go back to their homes." She said.

 

"And how do you suppose to say that?" Jessica asked, "I heard one of the human maids in the courtyard said to her fellow maid that they are both not allowed to go back to their houses, because vampires mostly needed humans than anything else." her younger sister explained. I shooked my head in disbelief, "Come on, not all vampires are bad. Look at the maids of Lady Catharine, although they are vampires, they didn't treat us like slaves. Even Lady Catharine." I defended.

 

"We know," the sisters said, "But still, you have to be careful. Everytime or anytime, some of them will kill us." Krystal said as she finished eating her sandwich. Jessica looked at the plate and she saw nothing but a plate, she suddenly smacked her younger sister's shoulder. "You glutton! I haven't eaten one sandwich!" Jessica shouted, "I thought you already eat one, I'm sor-- ow! Stop!" her older sister keeps punching her shoulder.

 

"Sorry won't change anything! You really had a big stomach!" Aigoo, these two Jungs, still the same kids. I smirked and I gave one sandwich to Jessica, "Here." I smiled at her. "Huh? Why are you giving me that? Aren't you hungry?" Jessica asked, I shook my head, "No, I'm not hungry." Liar, Stephanie, you just hid one sandwich in your back!

 

I stood up and sighed, "I have something to work on, I'll be going." I said and went inside. I was heading to the Kim's room where she was still inside, I opened the door and saw Taeyeon, sitting in front of the window. I took a deep breath then step forward, "Taeyeon." I called out her name causing her to looked at me with a raised eyebrows. I smiled at her and sat beside her, "I know you haven't eat delicious foods since you were turned, so I brought you this." I showed her a sandwich which makes her curious. 

 

"What's that? A loaf bread?" she asked, I chuckled a bit. "Not just a loaf bread, it's called a sandwich. Haven't you eat this one since then?" I asked, she shook her head. "Mmm, no. But Hyoyeon, always mentioned that word. I tought it was a witch using a power of sand." I suddenly laughed, she looked to me curious for a moment then she laugh along. "Seriously, you don't know that?"

 

"No, not a single word." she answered while smiling.

 

"Here, try to eat it. I made it." I smiled and leaned the sandwich on . Taeyeon's eyebrow twitched, "I-I can eat it myself, okay?" she said. She handed the sandwich and quickly take a bite. "Wow! It's delicious." she was amazed with her eyes widen, I just smiled at her. 

 

"So tell me, what is your life back then with your sister?" I asked. "Why are you asking me that so suddenly?" she said, I smiled and wiped some bread bits under . "Because, I want to be friends with you. That's all." I answered still smiling at her, "Aren't you afraid of me?" she questioned with a confusion in her face. I grin, "Why would I be afraid of you? Just because you are a vampire, doesn't mean that I'm afraid enough to stay away from you." she stayed silent. "I'm person who think before I react. I'm not a kind of a person who judged people easily, and not all vampires are bad."

 

"So you are telling me that you are not afraid?" I shrugged, "Well, a little. I'm still afraid of losing the only family I had." I answered with a sigh. "You know, we are just the same." she agreed and sighed, "We've lost our parents when we are still kids, then I'm afraid to lose Hyoyeon, too." she looked down. "Since our parents' died, they thought we are dead too. But we just hide in the shadows and lived as little rats in the streets, when we grow up, Hyoyeon worked as a clerk then I worked as a low-class human maid."

 

"Why did you turn as a vampire?" I asked.

 

She sighed, "That night, when I was on my way to the shop where my sister worked, we were attacked by a vampire. We didn't know that they are still hunting us down, I fought that demon before he would kill Hyoyeon and... the rest, I don't know. It was all pitch black." then she looked down. "It's okay, Taeyeon. Well, atleast, you have overcome it." I said.

 

She shot me glare, "Okay? It's not okay, Stephanie. We hated vampires for a long time and this is what we've got." she yelled. "I hated them, they killed people just for blood!" Now, she burst into tears. "Yes, we have overcome the death, but we turn into a creature we hated the most."

 

"Taeyeon..." I was going to hold her shoulder but she slapped my hand away, "Leave me alone." she coldly said and looked away. "I--"

 

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!" she yelled even louder then she looked to me with her red eyes, I looked down and stood up. "Okay." I said as I frowned and went out of the room, one time she wants to talk to me then few seconds later she was mad. I sighed and get back to work...

 

~~

 

That afternoon, I got out of the palace and went to my house near the windmill. As I went inside, I saw my mom, sitting on a chair. "Stephanie?" I smiled as she called out my name, "Mom, I'm back." I greeted and hugged her. "I've missed you, little girl." She said, "I've missed you too, Mom." I said.

 

In dinner, we had a lot of time talking, laughing and listening to her story like a kid. Until she requested something, "Stephanie, did you still know how to make a paper folded windmill?" She asked. I nodded, "Yes, Mom, why?" She smiled at me. "Please make me a beautiful paper windmill in your room and show it to me in the living room." She requested, "Can I show it while I'm working on it?" I asked.

 

She shook her head, "I want surprise, okay? Do it." I smiled and nodded. "Okay!" I went upstairs and started to make a beautiful paper windmill.

 

"What are you doing?" I was startled as I heard a familiar voice behind me.

 

I turn around and saw Taeyeon, smiling at me. "Taeyeon? What are you doing here?" I asked while still making a paper windmill, "Well, I just wanted to say sorry for yelling at you earlier. I just can't control myself." she apologized. I smiled back, "It's okay, I know how you feel." I said. "Anyway, what is that?" she pointed on the paper I folding, "Oh, this? I will make a paper windmill for my mom. A beautiful windmill." I said and then I finished the paper folding.

 

"Tada! It's finish!" I cheerfully said, I stood up from my chair, "Wait here, I'll show this to my mom." I said to her then I went downstairs to see my mom. "Mom! Here it is!" I said then went closer to her, she is now sleeping in the chair. "Mom?" I said as I tapped her shoulder lightly, "Mom, here it is. Wake up!" She wasn't responding.

 

"Stephanie..."

 

I turned to Taeyeon, who's face was in a deep sadness. "She..." she stuttered, "Your mom... she is... dead."

 

 ~~

 

The night after the funeral, I went inside of my room and lay down on my bed.

 

My mom... She is the only family I had, but why? Why she already gave up? Why did she leave me? I'm still not ready to let her go! "Why, Mom? Why did you gave up that easily?" I rolled myself in the corner of my bed, "I'm not ready for this, I'm not... letting you go yet." I muttered while I let my tears came out from my both eyes.

 

"WHY?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU ARE GOING TO DIE?!" I yelled in the air. "It's almost there, I have enough money to buy medicines for you." I cupped my face while sobbing.

 

I suddenly heard a thing fall on the ground, I go checked on it. I picked it up and saw a diary from my mom, I opened it and saw the notes she have written:

 

Day 1: July 30, 1409

This is the first day that I knew my life would be on the end of the cliff, I know I have to keep this to her but the signs like coughing blood would notice my daughter's concern. I know it is hard to accept the truth that I am going to die, but there is no choice of going back. I know Stephanie will deeply hurt if she knew that I was going to die. I feel sorry for her, but before I die, I just have to write this to know that I am still with her. 

For my Stephanie: Don't cry, I am always with you...

 

I sniffed and flipped two pages:

 

Day 5: August 3, 1409

It's been two days since my daughter celebrated her birthday, it was fun. But not longer. She was now 24, I hope she can handle herself now. I know she is ready to let me go, but my heart says that she is not. She needs me, she knew that I am her only family she had and nothing more. My heart always ready for the consequence that I would die sooner or later, but something pops out of my head. Stephanie was not ready to let me go yet. She loves me so much that she even considered me as her true mother, but I know that her true parents died during the war.

For my Stephanie: Stop whining, woman up...

 

I sniffed again and wiped my tears then flipped another page:

 

Day 7: August 5, 1409

This is the day my daughter would visit me here, she's been working as a human maid in tha palace. It's been a week since she left. This afternoon, she will come back, and I will be ready to face my death. Now I know that Stephanie wasn't ready for this, but I have a plan. She will make me a paper windmill for the last time, a beautiful windmill. And then, it is time to say goodbye. If she is reading this, please understand that I won't be with you forever. No permanent things in this world.

For my Stephanie: Be strong, let it go, and I love you Stephanie. I will always be with you, I will be the wind to guide you everywhere. You may not see me, but you can feel me.

I closed the diary and wiped my tears away, I smiled. "I love you too, Mom." Then I lay down on my bed and sleep...

 

~~

 

"Stephanie..."

I just heard my name, who's that voice calling me? I slowly sit up from my bed and looked around my room, searching that voice. "Stephanie..." I heard it again, and it was coming from the mirror. I got up from my bed and walked towards the mirror, I scowled at it and see nothing but myself. "Tiffany..." The voice changed into a sarcastic tone.

 

"I know you are not yet ready to let her go, right?" the voice said, "Who are you?" I asked with a curious look. A silhoutte of a woman appeared behind me that made me goosebumps, then I saw a porcelain face staring at my eyes with her blood red eyes. My eyes widen as I saw myself, pale white skin and bloody red eyes.

 

I was going to turn around but she strangled me, bumping my back against the mirror. I saw myself, smiling devilishly at me. "I have done hiding myself in you," she smirked, "I guess it is time to know the truth, Stephanie Young." she said, sarcastically. "T-The truth?"

 

"Yes, the truth that I've been carrying since we are just babies." she tightened her grasp in my neck, makes me breathe improperly. "First, you are not Stephanie. You are Tiffany, your true given name. But they changed your name and into my name, Stephanie." she is now a bit angry to me, "Second, you are not alone." she grin then eventually chuckled, "W-What do you mean?" I asked.

 

"Our mother gave birth with two little twins, unfortunately, the one died and the one lived as a human child." she said, "They take a good care of you, while me, they just forget about me like you don't have a sister." then she laughed, covering her face with her hand. "It hurts, right? They wouldn't do something to save my life and forget about me."

 

"I am sorry..." I spologized, she shot a devilish glare and throw me like a paper in the air. "Ahh!" I screamed as my body bumped agaisnt the wall, "Sorry?" she laughed again like crazy, "Don't be sorry, Tiffany. Because this is all your fault!" she squeezed my face drastically. She looked to me, "You know, thanks to you. I can still live inside your human body even though my own body was buried in the grave for a long time."

 

"What d-do you w-want f-from me?" I stuttered, still groaning in pain. She smirked, "I want to kill you, right now." she showed her fangs and was going to bite me but I hit her head with an iron bar that I've been holding few moments ago. She fell down and I got up slowly because my whole body was in pain, I tried to walk downstairs.

 

I heard her laugh again, "Run, Tiffany! But I can still find you!" she shouted making me terrified.

 

"No." I whispered and think quickly to find a place to hide. I went to the kitchen quickly, "Ohh, Tiffany! I'm coming downstairs!" I heard her again. I took a knife in the drawer and walked slowly and quietly. "I know you are in there, I smelled something delicious."

 

I covered my mouth and hide myself inside the cabinet, then few moments later, I heard some footsteps coming to the kitchen. I moved myself backwards as I saw her, "Where is she now? Ohh Tiffany! It's your twin sister, Stephanie!" she called out but I didn't respond. Few minutes later, I heard her sigh, "I think she run away, poor Tiffany." then she went out of the kitchen.

 

I took a deep deep breathe, "That was close." I whispered and closed my eyes.

 

"What did you say?" I opened my eyes and saw her beside me with a killer smile, I quickly stabbed the knife into her stomach then she groan it pain. I quickly got out of the cabinet and started to run away, but she was there infront of me, holding a knife.

 

I took a step backwards, "You think you can kill me by stabbing me with a knife?" she shown the knife in her hand. "Silly Tiffany, this doesn't work for me anymore." she let it out a laugh. "But it will work for you!" 

 

I suddenly felt the pain in my stomach, I was going to scream but the blood dripped through my mouth. "Can you feel it?" she whispered and twisted the knife inside my stomach, "S-s-stop--" more blood dripped out of my mouth. "Can you feel the pain, my sister? Can you feel it, Tiffany Hwang?!" she laughed more.

 

"J-Just... kill m-me..." I whispered.

 

"Huh? What? Kill you?" she leaned into my ear, "I... just can't live... without my mom..." I said. She smirked again, "I think I have changed my mind." she drew out the knife from me and I fell on the ground. She looked to me again, "You are the last Hwang who will lived as a vampire, and I can't let your life would end this way. You are going to live as a new creature, but not as a human anymore."

 

"W-what... what do you mean... by that?"

 

"You are the descendant of our clan. So one way or another, you will be turned." she touched my face lightly, she gave me a pouty look. "Poor sister, poor poor Tiffany." she said, then smiled brightly. "Don't worry, little sister. Your twin, Stephanie will give you blood." 

 

She raised her arm and bit her wrist, blood was streaming down to the ground. "Now, drink my blood." she ordered and lean her wrist into my mouth, I can taste a warm blood flowing inside my mouth, I gulped every blood flowing on my throat. Everything became black, before it was black, she smiled with a curved in her eyes, "Goodbye, Tiffany. See you soon..."

 

~~

 

JESSICA

 

After her mom's funeral, Stephanie didn't talk with us anymore, she didn't get back to her work for one week. Me and Krystal already missed her, Taeyeon always asked us how was she but we didn't know. Another week came, but Stephanie still didn't go to work again. Now, we're all worried.

 

"Big sis," I turn to Krystal who's face is worried, "Do you think Stephanie is..." I cut her off, "No, she's just can't move on about what happened." I said as I took a sip of my coffee. "We have to check her out." Yuri said, I shot a glare to her, "And why do you care? Do you know her, huh?" I said coldly to her. She sighed, "You know, you are not the only one who's worried to her. Stephanie was a friendly human who doesn't care whether you're a human or a vampire." she said.

 

"That's why we are all worried to her now, since we heard the news about it." Yoona came in front of us, "Yeah, and she was the first human who be friends with us." Sunny agreed. I scoffed and looked away, "Yeah right." I muttered, "You know what, you are so cold to us. We didn't do anything-- oh, did we?" Yoona smirked.

 

"I'm going to Stephanie, who's in?" Taeyeon said, "I'm in!" Sunny raised her hands. "All in, except the sisters." Hyoyeon pointed us, "Hey! I want to!" Krystal joined causing me to stood up. "You too?! I thought--" I was cut off by my sister, "I have a question, Big sis, why are you so careless now? I have noticed that you wouldn't get close with big sis Steph nowadays." 

 

"And anyways, big sis Steph was right. Not all vampires are evil, look at them, they weren't bad and even Lady Catharine." She added, I just stayed silent.

 

Then a long pause came...

 

I sighed and looked to them, "Let's go to her."

 

~~

 

As went to her house, we noticed that the door was open and we went inside, "It smelled like dead here." Krystal complained she covered her nose. It smelled like a dead rat inside, I think she didn't clean inside. They sniffed but they didn't react quickly, "Someone's dead here, I smell something up there." Yuri pointed to the stairs. "Do you think she's..." Sunny whispered but was interrupted by Taeyeon, "No, she's not. I know she's alive." she forced herself to smile. Tss, silly Taeyeon.

 

I looked at them blankly, "Stay here, me and Krystal will go to her room." I said and they all nodded.

 

"Let's go." I hold Krystal's hand and we started to go upstairs. As we are in front of her room, we heard sounds inside. I knocked the door and called out her name, "Steph, please open the door. It's us, Jessica and Krystal." But she yelled, "What do you want?!"

 

"Please Stephanie, don't push us away. We're for you." I said, "Leave me alone!" She yelled again, "Please... Leave me alone, I don't want to kill you too..."

 

Now, we're confused. "What? Let us in..." As I opened the door, we stopped as we saw stains of blood all over inside. There she was, hugging herself tight and her white dress was full of blood stains. "How did you?" She looked at us with her blood red eyes, "I... I killed them... I tore their skin and... drink th-their blood..." She muttered while sobbing.

 

"No... You were turned too?" Krystal said with a tone of shaking, "I'm a killer... I... I killed everyone..." she muttered again. "Who did this to you? Tell me." I was going to walked towards her when she yelled, "LEAVE ME ALONE!" then a gust of wind struck into me and bump my back against the wall. My back hurts, really. I tried not to scream loud. "Big sis!" Krystal freaked out and in a blink of an eye, Stephanie strangled my sister. 

 

"Ahh! NO!" My sister yelled, she was going to bare her fangs to her! "S-Stephanie, n-no!"

 

All of a sudden, I heard a matured voice, ordering to stop her. Sooyoung and Yuri hold Stephanie tight, "Let me go! I wasn't starting to drink her blood! Let me go!" She yelled. I saw Catharine walking towards her with a half smile, "So the legend was true, you are the last vampire." What? Last vampire? How come did she called her like that?

 

I know Stephanie wasn't a vampire, I know it. But how come? "Last vampire?" I muttered, Catharine looked to me for a moment then back to Stephanie.

 

"A clan named Hwang was a clan of the wind vampires, they are smart and fast like a wind. The legend says that there is a child with a power of wind will born and lived as a human being and will only turned into a vampire when her time has come to know the truth. Her true family named her Tiffany, but the war came, they hid her in an orphanage and grew as Stephanie Young. Well, you are a lone vampire from the clan of Hwang." She smiled as she finished her story.

 

I thought she was Stephanie Young, but how come she could be Tiffany Hwang? "You are lying, she must be turned by a vampire without knowing!" I denied the fact that Stephanie was born as a living vampire. Catharine glared at me, "Are you blind, Jessica Jung? Look at her," then I looked at her, "Do you think there will be a vampire who is going to turn her for a reason?" I looked away and stayed silent.

 

I heard her smirked, "I think her body automatically died down while she is sleeping and awakened in her new transformation. Perfect." She muttered and sighed. Stephanie growled and letting go herself from the two, I saw Catharine agitatedly went to her and kissed her forehead and she passed out. Sooyoung carried her, while Catherine went closer to me.

 

"Are you hurt?" she asked as she touched my back, "No, not really hurt." I answered. "I will put some ointments on your back as we went back to my mansion." she smiled, "Why do you want to help us? You are a high-class vampire, you don't care about us humans." I asked.

 

She turn to me, "Yes, I am a high-class vampire, but I cared for humans like you. Try to differentiate me from other high-classes, they just don't care about humans who need money, shelter and love." then she walked away...

 

 

---

Okay that's for today my friends! And I guess I have to update more everyday because it's vacation time! WHOOO!

Okay so here's the bonus photo that I made one time:

Just wait for my next update!