To be or not to be

Diary of Dreams

We were driving further into the country side, away from the sea. I was too bashful to look at JinKi so I decided I should just look out the window and absorb Korea in all its greenery.

Suddenly we entered into this small town which welcomed us with a huge gate across the road.  The houses looked so Indian. The slanting roofs of the houses with a big front and backyard. The car trucks and the agricultural machines parked in front of the house. It appeared as if there was practically no difference in Korean and Indian Village life. We then entered the center of the town which was laced with some shops selling almost everything a person would normally require in his lifetime, we crossed the school of the town, passed the rice field and were headed towards a small cluster of houses, about 5-6.

JinKi stopped in front of the biggest of them. He got out of the car and hurried to open the door for me. Personally I love it when JinKi does that for me. I feel like a princess and obviously every girl likes to be flattered.

As we stepped on to the porch a loud chatter of voices could be heard. It felt as if at least 6 people were chatting among themselves but as the door opened I was proved wrong for there were 10 people behind the door. The crowd ranged from kids to middle aged to really old people. I saw JinKi on my side bowing to all of them with such a broad smile on his face that it made me realize that they were maybe his relatives.

I froze there.

Relatives! What is he thinking! We are not even in a relationship yet!

JinKi then just introduced me as a friend to all of them and as a reflex reaction I folded my hands and did ‘Namaste’. Realizing that it will be a foreign concept for them, I quickly bowed. Seeing me panic a bit they laughed commenting ‘kyupta’(cute).

We took off our shoes and entered the house. On the outside though it was a big shabby building, on the inside it was a different story altogether. There were grand sofas in the parlor and there was not one but many sets of sofas in the huge parlor as if to satisfy the demand for a joint family.

As I was looking around while the crowd led me, JinKi whispered in my ears “It is my grandfather’s house. We used to live in a joint family but then my parents shifted due to the business. I brought you here because every one of my family is here today, even my parents. This is the other place where I love to come. It makes me feel me. It’s very difficult to be you when you are in the entertainment business and you have to be in one image.”

I looked at him and then the crowd in front of me. Despite of having such a grand house the people in front of me had worn really simple clothes and their faces taught you modesty. I understood what JinKi meant by trying to be who you really are for being the Leader and a member of SHINee required of him to be this dorky funny and responsible yet dumb person, while the real JinKi was smart, humorous and very responsible person.

I just followed the crowed and we entered the dining area.

It was just a very long low height table with a lot of cushions kept on both sides of it.

We sat down and came a large number of bowls all with Korean Food. JinKi was sitting next to me to help me not to eat the beef by mistake. I had the rice with kimchi soup and some mushroom salad. After eating everyone just sat there chatting away.

To be honest I felt good. I was missing my family and somehow this scene was filling the space in my heart. It felt homely and maybe that is the reason why I was smiling. Everyone was talking to each other, ridiculing, agreeing and disagreeing with each other.

JinKi and I were just taking a tour of the backyard and the garden aligning it. After stuffing so much, it felt good. Suddenly JinKi turned towards me and said, “I hope you liked meeting my family. My parents are out in the town for some work so you couldn’t meet them. I wanted to tell you something. Please just hear it out first and then you can say whatever you want to. I want us to be in a relationship. I know we are worlds apart but right now we are in the same place at the same time. To me the difference doesn’t matter because everyday with you will be a surprise. I want to experience that surprise, I want to be with you. You are the one that I like and probably also love. So, Aansha …. Please be mine!?”

I was taken aback. To be honest I was touched by the thing that he brought me to meet his family. Obviously I was very nervous but it indicated that he was serious about giving us a chance and didn’t shy from the fact. I wanted to say yes, but a part of me was afraid as to the difference and especially my family’s reaction will make it end soon.

But when have I ever thought seriously about any decision. I have always taken them hastily with one motto in mind, “Come what may.”

So I just got closer to him. I kissed him on the cheek and whispered in his ears “I will gladly be in a relationship with you”.

We went inside the house holding hands.

JinKi introduced me to his family, again, but this time as his girlfriend.

On the way back I was feeling really happy. Now I will see JinKi every day for now he is mine.