Three and Half Minutes

Diary of Dreams

“Sorry Aansha for the whole mess…We are heading for the Broadcasting station, would you like to come with us or go home?” I was about to answer JinKi when Taemin said “Noona, you should come and take a look at how things are done backstage, it will be fun and its been ages since we’ve taken a friend with us. Come…” He said it like a 5 year old trying to convince his sister about the advantages of candy, it was so cutely said that I couldn’t say no. It is like when Taemin asks you something cutely; you just want to do that for him without placing conditions.

It was a medium sized room with mirrored walls, dressing tables, sofas, movable closets and was really well lit. For the first time I had seen a Star’s dressing room in reality and not just on TV. The boys lead me from the parking lot through the corridors into this room; the whole time Taemin beside me telling the details of everything we pass by and introducing me to the people whom we came across. He was a gentleman and a cute kid at the same time.

I was sitting in a chair at the last dressing table near the closet and was staring at how these 5 boys were huddled around their manager and listening to him attentively while 4 stylists were gathering their tools of makeup on the first dressing table. I thought to myself “what on earth am I doing here. I should just find an excuse and leave. It is too Blingy a world for me!”

I stood up and walked towards JinKi who was now sitting on the sofa going through what seemed like a script. As I approached him, he looked at me; smiled and said “We have to say some lines in English, one of our managers wrote this but he isn’t that good in English and we would have done the proofing but we already have to memorize this script in such a short time, so could you please do it for us?”                                                                                          He handed over the page and I sat down next to him trying to correct what had been written. It took me whole 15 min to do it and I literally rewrote it again. Now I stood up to leave after giving the corrected script but just then Shinee’s manager reeled me in…He gave me a clipboard and an earpiece, the paper looked like some kind of inventory and a schedule (I know this coz it was in English). I looked up to him in bewilderment and he said with apologetic eyes “Please help, today short of staff. Saw you at the musical; you are good at managing things”.He looked very apologetic and helpless and hopeful, plus MinHo who was standing right behind the Manager was now looking at me and mouthing words which seemed to be “Please do it”.

Couldn’t say no. I am a really professional person but when I start liking someone even a bit, I drop the barrier, like all the logic and professionalism goes to trash. I guess the same was happening here; I had started liking SHINee’s personality a little.

The next hour I spent running around the room inventorying first the costumes, checking with the stylists, checking their schedule for stage practise, prerecording and recording; going around with the manager to meet the host and other technicians for crosschecking and etc etc…   Preparation was over and it was time for the actual recording. I was submitting my Ids and the clipboard when the manager Choi Jin came up to me and said “ You should watch them Live before you go, it will be a good experience.” He guided me in front of the stage along with the camera crew. I had a clear view of those 5 boys who now really seemed like shining Stars, apt to their name.

The next 3 and half minutes changed the way I looked at them.

Performance was over, I headed back to the green room and near the door JinKi was waiting, I suppose for me.           

The 3 and half minutes of their performance made me realise that these guys were the best in their field! They are real persons offstage and even onstage their personality adds to their charm. And their voices… oh God!! It melted me. A highly prejudiced listener like me who only liked Indian music had fallen for KPop.

I smiled at JinKi and just said “You guys are amazing! All the hard work the staff puts in for you guys is totally worth it! WOW!”

And there I was in that dressing room doing high fives with those Shining SHINee guys. I loved them on and off stage. They were friends for I knew that those who are sincere in their work are sincere in their relations. I wanted to be friends now…. I wanted to be close, to know them!

 

Exam fever was now on. They were the first exams in Korea for me and I was more nervous than the students who were writing the exams. I really hoped that my students would do well and create a good impression of me as a teacher.

Two whole weeks of exams and now it was result time. After so many nights of checking papers, trying to read unreadable handwritings, in the end I was really happy to see the results. Everyone had passed and the lowest score was in the IInd division! But the real shocker was-

                                                                      JinKi was placed first!!

It was a real shock for he was a celebrity! Not that all celebs are dumb but the thing that they are so busy to study well to top!  JinKi must be really smart then!

 

 

We 5 were gathered around Jjong’s Laptop to check our results. Results were out but the problem was whose result should be checked first. The selection criteria – Rock ,Paper , Scissors! Simple solution to the most complex of problems!

My heart was racing, I didn’t want to lose. So started the first round and I took out rock,  Whoa! Everybody took out scissors! Next Key then Taeminie and then Minho! Poor Jjong! He lost, so we checked his result, It was good…

One by one we checked everyone’s result and now it was time for my score. We opened the page and I started to search from the middle, when Taemingun shouted “Hyung you topped! And 98% in Aansha’s subject, your best score!” Key added “How were you able to study when Aansha was around?” and to that Jjong explained “Its simple, he had to top in her subject to make a good impression!”

 

All four of them started hitting me and asking for a treat. Just then I received a message on my mobile

               

Congratulations on your First rank

  …When is the party

                                                -Aansha

 

 

I smiled, and the other 4 teased me. Well…tonight I was loving it...