Gaze

Our Love Story

Youngmin's point of view

“It’s getting late. I think we should wait til morning to continue." Minho suggested. " Hyung! But-" I tried to say when Sung Mi gently spoke. “I think Minho Oppa is right. It's dangerous to travel these roads in the dark. We may get lost or fall into a rice patty pond. “Gritting my teeth, I silently sigh.” Damn rice patties..." I mutter under my breath.

.............................................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

"Wow... six months." Youngchul said, staring at me as if I was some sort of illusion that he couldn't quite tell if I was real or fake. “Yeah, it's been a while." I say awkwardly. “I’m glad to see that everything's been doing well." Picking lint off my pants, I nervously chuckle. “I heard you took over the restaurant." Nodding, he grinned. “Yeah, after I turned eighteen, dad decided to give it to me."

“I’m happy for you. I know you have wanted to run the restaurant since we were kids."

“You have you come and visit sometime now that your here. Mom would be glad to see you." Agreeing, I promised to come over tomorrow for dinner. “Oh!" He said suddenly. " Sung Mi and Minho said they were going to visit you. Did you guys meet by chance?"

" Yeah, she came over a few days ago." I said. Confused, Youngchul asked why I didn't come with her. " Uh... something came up and Sung Mi had to stay behind. She's coming in a few days though." I added.  A guilt lingered in my chest, not wanting to lie but also not wanting to say I left without telling her. "Well, anyways... I'm glad your back. You are back for good right?" He said hopefully. "I don't know yet. These are a bit hectic right now." Not exactly getting it, he stared at me doubtedly but didn't ask any more questions. “About Yong... sorry for what he did." Youngchul said sadly. “He’s been through a lot." Nodding, I agreed. " Mr. Soh told me."

"The kids loved the curry." A elderly female teacher I remembered as Mrs. Chung said. "Children, lets thank Hayoung for making such a yummy dinner." Mr. Soh suggested. " Thank you!" The children repeated. I smiled; glad to see everyone's satisfied expression. "Oh! Is that for Yong?" I asked a volunteer helper, who had a plate of untouched food in her hands. "Yes, he didn't come for dinner so I was going to his room to give it to him." Walking towards her, I asked to take instead. " Are you sure? He has somewhat of a temper." She said, worried and a bit doubtful. "Yes, please. I think I can manage." After a long pause, she handed it to me. “ Alright, but I doubt you’ll get him out of his room.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The sound of children laughing and chattering faded away as I walked down the narrow light blue hall. Heading to the very last door, it comparably quiet. Recognizing Yong’s room, I hesitated at the door, silently clearing my throat. With a gentle knock, the sound of hollow wood echoed against my knuckle. “Yong-ah?” Silence. One more time I knocked, but this time a bit louder. Once again, silence. “ I know you’re in their Yong.” My voice switched from quiet and soft to assertive. “ It’s me…Hayoung noona.”

“Go away!” A small boy said from behind the door. “ Hmm… I don’t think I can do that Yong. I have your dinner here and I worked hard to make it so you could try some.” I said. “

“I don’t want any!” Yong said again, this time more impatient. He obviously was hungry. One thing I knew about Yong was that most of the time whenever he was angry, whatever he said, he usually meant the opposite of it. “Are you sure? It’s your favorite…beef curry with potatoes and carrots.” He would be his lips by now, but because of his self-righteous pride, he would still refuse. “ I don’t care…” A weaker tone in his voice hinted my victory. “ I guess if you really mean that then I’ll just have to throw it away…. Even though it’s your FAVORITE beef curry. What a wast-“  Suddenly the door opened, revealing a flushed and adorable little boy with big eyes. “ W-wait!” He commanded. Smiling, I slid myself in his usual clean room. “ Aha, you were hungry.” I said lightly, glad he let me in.

Putting it on the small floor table, I unraveled the aluminum and patting the cushion next to me. “ Common.” Hesitant at first, he plops himself on the floor, still trying to act high and mighty. “I’ll eat but… noona has to leave.” Expecting this answer, I smile jokingly. “ Eh? Is this how you treat your noona after she finally came back since a long time?” Suddenly, his grim expression caught me off guard. “ You’re just gonna leave again like the rest of them, why should I care?” My heart fell, hurt not by his words but by my own guilt. “ Yong-ah…” Taking a spoonful, he stuffed a potato in his mouth, at the verge of tears. “ I’m sorry, Yong. I know it was hard being by yourself. Please forgive me?” It took a moment, but he stared at me with wet eyes. “ Are you going to leave again?”

Taking in a second, I thought of what to say. Was I? Was there really any other place for me to go? I had already realized that I didn’t belong in a world of fame and city lights, perhaps the country and orphanage was really where I belonged. “ No… I’m not leaving again. I’m back for good.” A spark in his eyes lit up. “ D-do you promise?” Nodding, I smile. “ I promise.”

Suddenly, Yong got up and jumped into my arms, wrapping his six year old arms around me. Crying now, he hic-cupped quietly as his tears fell down my shirt and neck. “There, there.” I cooed, running his tiny back. “Since when did boys cry?” After a long time, he settled down, looking at me with a strangely familiar gaze. A gaze that one showered me with affection and that once reflected playful childlike flickers of hope. Those warm tender eyes… My heart, as if ripped apart began to bleed as I recalled the first time I stared into eyes like those. My soul whispering, cried softly at the sound of his name. Youngmin.