Unexpected Visit

Our Love Story

 

Youngmin's point of view

The empty coffee cup in my hands, everything began to fade into the back ground as I drowned in thought. Truthfully, there was a part of me that was bothered by the articles and the cover stories, by the reports and the magazines… there was a part of me that didn't want her to be recognized by others. Once again, I felt that selfish cowardly inner self taking over, wanted to keep her to myself. Her voice, her smile, everything. 

The world, the life she was coming into..fame, stardom, it all has it's dark side. Hayoung, someone so gentle and naive, would she be able to last against the cruel gossip and the immense pressure? Even I  sometimes wonder if I could stand it.

I didn't want her to be put in a world like that. A place where she would have to hide her tears, a place where she'd have to learn how to smile, even if it was fake. I placed the mug back on the table, sighing softly. I knew I should have be happy for her, to be glad she's come this far, but...was that what she wanted?

The sudden vibration in my pocket startled me, bringing me back to my senses. I stared at the glowing screen, recognizing Minwoo's number. Kwangmin curiously leaned over. I raised an eyebrow at the unexpected call.

"Minwoo?"He glanced at his watch. "Isn't he supposed to be in morning lessons now?" I nodded as I raised the phone to my ear.

" Why aren't you in class?" I questioned. "Hyung, you and Kwangmin need to come to the studio now. Dong Hyun said that everyone was called for a meeting." 

"The Studio? Are we starting practice already?" I asked, confused. We weren't supposed to gather until late in the afternoon. "I don't know, but practice was canceled for today. Oh! and make sure to bring Joori-noona."  I exchanged glances at the girl in front of me, who was chewing carefully on a half bitten apple. "Me?" She pointed at herself. 

"Why do I have to go?" Joori asked, half worried yet half intrigued. I shut the cellphone, staring at the dark screen, curious of the sudden occasion . 

........................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

I smoothed the khaki skirt in the mirror before locking the door. It was starting to feel  lonesome without Soon-Bok. Outside by the elevators,  I began wondering where Joori was. It seemed too quiet since she wasn't by my side, spilling gossip or telling me about the new episodes of a drama she had recently been addicted to.  

I decided to try the cafeteria after glancing at the silver watch on my wrist. There was still time before class, which probably meant they were still eating breakfast.

The cafeteria was busier then it usually would have been. All the tables were filled and buzzing with conversation. Studying the hall, I searched for the twins, for Joori, but was taken aback when I realized no one was there. A bit disappointed, I began wondering where everyone was. Even Joori, who would have called by now, was missing. It wasn't going how I had planned it, my memorable goodbye.

....................................................................

It must have been my imagination...

There was this growing weight on my shoulders, massive stones placed on top of me. My eyes must have been playing tricks because... for some strange reason, it felt as if everyone was looking at me, whispering about me. I fidgeted with the orange, peeling it cautiously.

It's just your imagination, just your imagination.

Not able to handle the eeriness, I escaped the suffocating situation. Outside, the fresh air immediately soothed the panic. The weight lifted as my shoulders relaxed. I breathed in deeply, the dampness on my skin disappearing.

The campus was unlike this morning, it bloomed with life. The usual dance students were practicing by the courtyard, the stereo blasting mainstream korean pop. Several art students were painting the view of the garden by the large sparkling fountain, while the rest of the scattered students were in idly chatter. I sighed, harmonized with the calm and peaceful scenery. 

I knew I would miss this, this tranquility, this sense of composure. 

Not wanting to drown myself again with the thought of leaving, I pushed it away. As much as I tried not to think of it, it was still etched in my mind. How would I tell them? When was the right time? I knew there would never be a "right" time to say I was leaving but…when was it appropriate? 

I closed my eyes, frustrated with myself. So entranced in my own thoughts, I almost didn't feel the light tap on my shoulder. I spun around, surprised to see Mrs. Park behind me. She smiled and greeted me happily in a dark blue dress that seemed too flashy for a simple teacher attire.

 I shyly replied, bewildered with her sudden appearance. A dim flashback appeared briefly of the time when I had collapsed in the snow, in search of the man that I was sure to be my guardian, but now… I never expected to find out that he was just an errand boy of my mother's. 

"Hayoung, congratulations!" She said excitedly while patting my back. I tilted my head, confused. "Excuse me?" I asked, not understanding the occasion. "It's incredible that you were feat-" Her phone suddenly rang, interrupting her. 

"Hello?" She spoke into the pink sparkling phone, which seemed like a very odd choice for a forty year old women. "Ah! Yes, she is here... I will send her immediately." Her eyes shifted towards me as I felt the curiosity b. 

She hung up, handing me a light blue slip from inside a dark green attendance folder. "You need to go to Yellow Star studio in M building.There will be a meeting soon so hurry." Watching her leave, her footsteps became distant as she headed towards the school. I held the thin slip between my fingers, recognizing that it was the same studio that Boyfriend and the others had used during the Centennial rehearsals. I scratched my head as I began to make my way to the Music Department building, still not too sure as to what was going on.

...................................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

Dong hyun and the others were already in the studio by the time we had gotten there. Also confused as to why they were summoned from their busy schedules, we waited impatiently. At first, we guessed it was something dealing with Boyfriend, perhaps a company meeting, or a new concert plan but with Joori being there, it was likely that wasn't the situation. Not knowing what to do, I decided to finish the Biology worksheet I had forgotten to complete last night. I sighed, not concentrating on the complicated atomic structures of glucose. 

Half an hour had already passed by the time we became more and more restless. Bored, Hyun Seong began playing downloaded arcade games on his laptop with Jeong Min. Dong Hyun was working on his musical inspiration report for his next class, hunched over, writing on the floor, while Minwoo, who was facing the mirror, practicing the new routine for our song You and I, when a slow creak broke through the room. I absentmindedly looked up, searching for the source of the noise when my eyes widened, surprised to see Hayoung peeking behind the dark blue doors.

..............................................................

Hayoung's point of view

I recognized the yellow star sticker at the end of the hall. Soft voices and muted music came from behind the metal frame as I carefully opened it. Inside was brightly lit and as spacious as I remembered. It felt so long since I had been there that it was awkward walking in, as if I was intruding. 

I greeted everyone timidly, still nervous to be around so many idols at once. Dong Hyun waved, approaching me with several sheets of paper in his hands. "Hayoung? What are you doing here?" IHe asked, obviously surprised at my unexpected visit. I bit my lip, also wondering the same thing.

I studied my surroundings when I caught sight of the twins at the other side of the room, against the large mirrored wall. It never came to surprise me how I still wasn't used to these two. No matter how hard I tried to calm my heart whenever I was around them, it was ridiculous how fast my heart would beat whenever there were in the same room as me. Just being within the same air as them made my chest flutter rapidly.

.......................................................................

Youngmin's point of view

Caught off-guard, I watched Hayoung walk into the studio with wide eyes. I pulled off my earphones, ignoring the blasting music that played at the buds. I stood up, feeling that same embarrassment and self-awareness I always experienced whenever I was around her. 

 

My head swayed, taken aback by her sudden arrival. Why was Hayoung here? 

Hayoung entered carefully, her footsteps light against the glossy wood floors. Her eyes sparkled under the yellowish lights as her white cotton tee complimented her dark hair. I swallowed, uncomfortable and regretful of deciding to wear my glasses today of all days. 

I glanced at Kwangmin, annoyed at his enchanted expression. I knew it wasn't only me that thought of Hayoung that way, my brother also was completely blinded by her presence. 

I awkwardly stood up from the floor, not knowing how to react. After worrying all night about her, it was unreal to to see her so unexpectedly. Dong Hyun approached her, their conversation out of ear shot.  Leaving my phone on the floor, I walked towards them, curious also as to why she was here. 

"I'm not sure…I was just told by Mrs. Park to come here because of some kind of meeting." I could see she also was confused along with the rest of us. I stood by her side, secretly greeting her with my eyes. Her face slight flushed, smiled gently. 

"Youngmin..." I never realized until then of how much it made my heart shiver whenever she called out my name. The words pierced into my chest, radiating painful yet pleasant waves of emotions off my skin. 

Joori and Kwangmin joined us while Dong Hyun explained how the director had told him to gather all the Boyfriend members here. "It couldn't be something bad, could it?" Hayoung's voice was concerned.

 "Hayoung-Unnie, you were told to come too?" Joori asked, relieved that she wasn't the only one. Joori gasped, remembering the many articles. "Did you already see-" She halted at the sound of metal doors closing.

Thee people walked in, sporting very business like attire. I recognized immediately StarShip's president at the center of the crowd, his secretary by his side and the director at the other. The rest of the members broke away from their individual activities as they rushed towards us. We greeted simultaneously the CEO of the entertainment agency respectfully as they joined us. Completely baffled at their appearance, I was at a loss of words.

…………………………………………

Kwangmin's point of view

"Boys, how are you?" The president said cheerfully. It was rare to see him in campus when usually it was his secretary that would play messenger. "I'm sorry for suddenly calling you guys out like this so suddenly but it was too important to hold off until later." We stared at his, all curious as to what he was talking about. 

Hayoung's face was colorless as her eyes grew wide with confusion. Joori smiled at the president, already familiar with her grandfather. "Grandpa, what are you doing here?" She asked, excited to see him. "Joori, remember… while I am working, do not-" She sighed, interrupting him. 

"I know, I know… "When your are working, do not call you anything other then Mr. Choi." He laughed at his energetic grandchild. "And this must be Hayoung…" He said, grinning at her, who was behind Youngmin nervously. "H-How do you do?" She said softly.

"I have to congrats you for your marvelous performance at the centennial."  He said earnestly. "I am the president of Starship entertainment and the grandfather of this rowdy child." He joked lightly.

…………………………………………..

Hayoung's point of view

I felt my heart panic, completely stunned to be in front of such an important person. He was the CEO of the agency that Boyfriend worked under. I suddenly wanted to hide, knowing how difficult it was for me to be around such high status people.

It was still uncomfortable being around my famous mother, non the less, the president of a major entertainment company. I gulped, gathering all my courage. "H-hello, I am Hayoung." I shook his hand politely when the secretary pointed at his watch. "Sir, you must hurry, you have a lunch appointment with SM entertainment in an hour."

He nodded, returning back to topic. "The reason why I called you all to this meeting  is because we were proposed to do a music video for your new song You and I." 

 

"Already?" Dong Hyun asked, his eyes sparkling. "Yes, and it is a very famous director that offered to produce your song into an MV." Everyone exclaimed in excitement of the news. 

 

"Excuse me?" Hyun Seong asked, "but who is the director?" The president grinned, clearing his throat. The dark blue doors slowly opened as I gasped silently. Her long blonde hair was dyed black as her large brown eyes were covered by black sunglasses. 

 

Her heels echoed lightly in the silent room as I felt my heart pound ferociously. "Meet Han Yoo Jin, your director."