You Are Beautiful.

Our Love Story
Hayoung's point of view

The coffee shop was almost bare except for the few people sipping their drinks and typing away at their laptops. I recognized Joori talking to a tall, lean man at the counter in a way that was different from her bubbly child-like appearance.  She didn't have her glasses on and the way she leaned her body against the counter seemed flirtatious. Smiling, it was entertaining to see the obvious actions of having a crush.

I sat down at a table by a large window showered with light. Looking through the thick glass, I began to realize how different these students were. The high school that I attended looked shabby and tiny compared to this, but it felt warmer. Everyone knew each other and the people I loved were there. I felt a heavy leaded stone fall into my heart. 

Before I had left, Sung-mi had given me a lyric book that she had planned to use when we graduated high school. We had promised to leave town together, in order to pursue our dreams of become singers...but reality was harsh. Since her father grew sick and hospitalized, she had given up college to continue working at the restaurant, and since our school couldn't afford instruments or music lessons, I also quickly gave up.

When I told her about this school, she said I had to come. It was an opportunity to escape my small town, to become someone important. I believed that when I just dreamt of it during class but now, this "opportunity" that was supposedly a once in a life time chance, felt less real then my daydreams. 

Pulling out the letter I had yet to read from my bag, I observed the penmanship. In beautiful letters, "Na Hayoung" was inked on the cover. Opening it carefully, I began to read the engraved words on the rough grayish paper.

 

It must have been alarming and difficult to agree with leaving your home and I appreciate that you have put your trust in me. I cannot tell you who I am yet because... there are somethings that are in need to be taken care of beforehand, but I can tell you that the wait will not last long. I know you followed my request in order to find your parents, but before anything is revealed, please note that not everything will be beautiful. You must be brave and work hard. Only then will your past come to find you.

Sincerely, your guardian.

I continued to read the letter again and again try to find more then what was given. What will become difficult, and what needs to be taken care of? The more I dug into my forgotten life, the more buried in the ground I become.

My colliding thoughts halted in place, suddenly interrupted by the scraping chair of Joori. Bright and smiling, she greeted me." Unnie!" I was taken aback, surprised by her sudden familiarity. She really did do things on her own. I lightly smiled, trying to rid myself of the haunting letter. Placing it back in the envelope, I closed the bag and set it aside. My worries would have to wait.

"Good morning, Joori." My mind was still etched on the letter even after trying to push it away. "Did you sleep well? The snow storm was terrible for me. " She asked, unaware of my thoughts. I nodded, remembering the difficult night before. "I couldn't sleep well either." She sighed, annoyed that she wasn't able to obtain a full night's rest. "Did you get your schedule yet?" Again I nodded, " By chance, are all these classes mandatory?" I asked, recalling the odd subjects, such as vocal training.

"Mhm, since this is a school specializing in the arts, all the classes are based on what your studying. What did you pick as your department?" Her voice was tinted with curiousity. "Music, Vocals." I didn't mention how it was already picked for me.

"You sing?" she asked, surprised. "Um, I never attended a class or studied in a school about it but its been a hobby." She smiled, ecstatic. "Sing something!" Her eyes glowed with curiosity. "N-now?" I stuttered. "Yes, please? please?" Just then, once again the sound of chairs scrapping against the floor had cut Joori's begging short. Gazing at the source, I was startled by the appearance of Youngmin at my side. Kwangmin, in front of me, smiled. "Morning."

..............................

Youngmin's point of view

" Hurry up! Joori said she was waiting for us." Kwangmin in the bathroom, fixed his hair and looked at his clothes rather attentively. I watched him at the doorway, almost annoyed. He didnt usually mind his bed head, but today he was actually trying. Glancing at the mirror, I examined what I wore, making last minute precautions. Finally out of the bathroom, Kwangmin threw on his jacket as I held the door. "Finally."

We were late and Joori wasn't the type to wait around patiently. At the first floor, we hurried to the cafe as the regular fan girls approached us. Instead of paying much attention like usual, we gestured a "hello" and escaped the mob. At the familar, brightly lit coffee shop, I studied the cafe, looking for Joori and Hayoung.

They were sitting by a large window at the back. Yesterday, because if the dim lighting, I wasnt able to see Hayoung as clearly as I did now. The sunlight had completely showered her as she sat chatting quietly to Joori. Deciding to buy coffee, I continued to steal glimpses, observing her carefully. Today, she was wearing a dark blue coat with a matching white knitted scarf and hat, which glowed from the sunlight and contrasted to her dark brown hair. Her eyes were framed by glasses now, an intelligent and attractive appearance, which highlighted her sparkling doe-like eyes. When she smiled, I couldn't help but also smile like a fool, fascinated by the color of her matching pink lips and rosy cheeks. 

.........................................

Hayoung's point of view

I looked carefully at kwangmin's face, while Joori was excitedly explaining her new job to the twins. Like a game, I searched for the differences and the similarities. Both their dark eyes were large and round, similar to a doll's. Long black eyelashes and a perfectly striaght nose. Youngmin's blonde hair stood out magnificently in the sun. It sparkled as Kwangmin's pale skin looked like silk. It was hard to believe that they were boys.

I felt my pride hurting. As I began to find the similarities, I soon found the differences. Youngmin's lips were more curved and Kwangmin's face was a little rounder. I smiled to myself as I realized they really were two separate people.