Reunion

Our Love Story

 

Hayoung's point of view

"This is my stop! Bye unnie!" Nami, the little girl jumped up, excitement printed on her face. Waving goodbye, I watched her run to a pretty women in emerald green. Behind the glass, she called out my name, wishing me luck on the rest of the trip. Smiling at me, her mother mouthed the words "Thank you for taking care of her daughter." Bowing my head, I watched them disappear into the crowd of leaving and approaching passengers. 

Suddenly the cart felt too quiet, too silent. It wasn't until Nami had left that I realized that it was thanks to her that I was distracted enough to not cry. Now alone, automatically tears began to fall down my face. Pulling out the picture, I smoothed out the crinkled edge. the glossy surface, I outlined the face of the one I held so dear to my heart. 

"He probably has read the letter by now"… I began to wonder how he reacted. I just prayed that he wasn't in as much pain as I was. Shaking my head, I threw away the regret in my heart… I had to this, for him and for myself. Tired from constantly battling my heart and mind, I felt my eyes become heavy as I drifted to a painful nightmare sleep where I was living in a world without Youngmin… 

…………………………………………………..

Youngmin's point of view

"I want to come!" Joori protested, stamping her feet. " There is not point of make this problem even bigger! Me, Sung Mi and the twins will go. You stay in case Hayoung comes back." Minho ordered. Holding her back, Minwoo nodded. " Go on hyung. We'll call you if we find out something." 

I gave Mr. Yong and Yoo Jin a reassuring look. " We'll bring her back. I promise." Mr. Yong nodded as he pressed his arm around Yoo Jin's shoulder, who was exhaustedly leaning against him. "Youngmin- shi?" She said quietly. " Make sure she's safe." For the first time, I saw not an actress or a celebrity, but a mother. " I promise." 

……………………………………………………….

Hayoung's point of view

We will now be arriving to Ha-Dong station. Please retrieve your belongings and head to the nearest exit. Thank you for using KORAIL Transportation and have a good evening. 

Heading into the empty station, I grabbed my suitcase and bag. Once the train came to a slow stop, the conductor opened the door and I stepped down the platform. Suddenly a wave of strange familiarity washed over me once I recognized the environment around me. Even after all this time, the same worn and beat up posters hung on the walls of the station. 

 

Outside, a single gray taxi in need of a paint job sat on the curb. Grabbing the driver's attention, he drove forward as he climbed and took my luggage. Inside, he greeted me in the familiar Chang-Dong accent, asking where I would be going. Since this was such a small town, address was not needed once I said the Orphanage. 

 

"What's a pretty girl like yourself traveling alone? And to an orphanage?" He asked, turning towards a recognizable dark bumpy road. " Going back home." I said, once again feeling a strangeness on the tip of my tongue. " You live here?" He said, surprised. " You seemed like someone that lived in the city." I chuckled politely. Could I have changed more then I thought. " I did for a while, but I decided to come back." He raised an eyebrow, perplexed. " Why would you want to come to a small town like this compared to a place like Seoul." 

Silent for a long time, I finally answered. " I realized that I didn't belong there." 

 .............................................................................................................. 

 

 

 

"Here's your change." The taxi driver handed me the ten dollar bill once he placed my luggage on the grassy walkway. " Have a nice night." Then like a dying lightbulb, he was gone and I was alone outside. After I was walking into a memory, I looked around the garden which was still well kept and flourished. Staring at the orphanage, I was stunned to see the transformation of the old rickety building that was now solid and brightly colored. Voices children, bounced off the night sky, intertwining with the crickets and splashes of small pond frogs. 

 

Walking slowly towards the entrance, I my lips nervously before pressing the doorbell. 

 

Ding-Dong….Ding-Dong. 

 

"Coming!" A rough man's voice called from behind the door. My heart beating frantically, I clenched my fists. " Yes, may I….." Eyes wide,  he stared at me with a blend of surprise and shock. " Hayoung?" 

 

"Hello, Mr. Soh…. I'm back."