Acquaintance

Tragedy
" Oh! Jaejoong?" You say unsure.
 
 
He approaches you. A dashing smile on his face.
  
Jaejoong was a close friend of yours from high school and college. But as soon as you both graduated, you hadn't contacted him as much.
 
"Hey -Your name-. Haven't seen you in a while. " He says casually.
 
You nod in agreement.
" So how have you been?" You ask.
 
" I've been okay... I guess. Nothing new has happened." Jaejoong replies with a shrug. 
You grin.
 
"What about you?" Jaejoong asks.
 
"Hm? Oh. I've been good. " You lie.
 
Jaejoong raises an eyebrow.
"She's  lying. It's clearly written on her face." Jaejoong thinks to himself. 
 
" Are you sure? " He joked.
You manage to nod.
 
Jaejoong sighs and gives you a small smile.
 
"You don't have to lie to me." Jaejoong says, his eyes soft.
 
"W-What do you mean?" You say then look away,  uneasy.
 
"Cho-Hee already told me about Hyun Joong."  Jaejoong explained. You turn to face him again.
" Cho-Hee?" You ask.
 
Jaejoong cleared his throat.
 
It shouldn't surprise you. Jaejoong and Cho-Hee have been close childhood friends. She would of told him sooner or later. Besides....it really didn't bother you that he knew. 
 
"I see..." You say slowly.
 
"Even if she hadn't told me, anyone who had a good look at you would know something was wrong." Jaejoong acknowledges.
He could always read you so well. It's was always hard to hide something from him.
 
 "Am I that easy to read?" You joked, smiling.
 
He didn't buy it. Your smile was clearly strained.
 
"Are you okay?" He asks again, eyebrow furrowing in concern .
 
"I don't know..." You admit.
 
You were hurting and he could tell.
 
" Where are you headed now?" Jaejoong asks, trying to change the topic.
 
" I'm heading back to the hospital. Hyun Joong should be awake." You reply.
 
Jaejoong thought for a moment.
 
"May I go as well?" Jaejoong asks. His lips form a kind smile.
 
Why not? Hyun Joong would be alone and someone  else visiting wouldn't bother anyone.
Besides, Hyun Joong would probably want an escape from the complete boredom of his hospital room.
You smile back, and nod.
 
*****************************
Both you and Jaejoong arrive the room and  knock before going in.
 
Kim Hyun Joong was watching a show on the t.v.  His expression completely dull.
 
You were right. It seems like he was was all alone. His parents must of came and left briefly.
 
"Morning." You say with a slight smile.
 
Kim Hyun Joong turns his attention to you.
"Morning." He greets. His voice husky. He must of just woken up.
 
He suddenly notices Jaejoong.
 
Jaejoong greets him with a nod. A distant expression grew on Hyun Joong's face.. His brows furrowed in thought.
 
"Hyun ?" You call out softly and he comes back to reality. 
 
"Yeah?" He replies.
 
"Do you remember Jaejoong?" You ask.
 
Hyung Joong shakes his head slightly.
 
"It's alright. I'm no one special. You may only remember me as ..... An acquaintance... " Jaejoong says. His tone a bit hard.
 
Acquanintance?
Come to think of it... You don't recall Jaejoong and Hyun Joong getting along.
" Was it a bad idea to bring him?" You ask yourself.
 
The door to the room suddenly opened. 
Mr. And Mrs. Kim enter.
 
"Good-Morning!" Mrs. Kim greets.
 
You turn to face them. They were holding grocery bags.
 
"We bought --" Mrs. Kim Hadnt finished the sentence when she  finally notices Jaejoong.
 
Jaejoong smiles politely.
 
"Kim Jaejoong?" Mr. Kim asks, surprise.
 
Jaejoong bows.
 
"Good morning." Jaejoong replies.
 
"What a surprise... What brings you here?" Mrs. Kim asks.
 
"I came here with -Your Name-. I wanted to see how Hyun Joong was doing." Jaejoong responds.
 
You felt Mr. And Mrs. Kim glance at you, but You didn't take your eyes off of Kim Hyun Joong. 
 
Hyun Joong glances away from his parents then looks straight at you. His facial expression was a bit disturbed. 
 
Before you could say anything, the door opened again. You turn to face the person walking in and  began to have a displeasant feeling.
 
Cho-Hee entered. A bag of groceries in her hand.
 
"Good-morning." She says casually.
 
"Morning." Mrs. Kim responds.
 
Jaejoong glances at Cho-Hee carefully. A look of annoyance swept through his face.
 
Briefly, Cho-Hee walks to Kim Hyun Joong.  She smiles kindly and Kim Hyun Joong stares at her questionably. 
 
"Here." Cho-Hee says, giving him the bag.
 
"What is it?" Kim Hyun Joong asks, curious.
 
" I've bought some healthy snacks for you. I'm sure you'll like them." 
 
"Cho-Hee... Sweetie... You didn't have to. We already bought some." Mrs. Kim says, lifting up  the bags in her hands.
 
Cho-Hee smiles.
 
"It was no bother at all. Besides... I also want to make sure he's well. I've been concerned about him." Cho-Hee admits. 
 
Jaejoong's eyes narrow. Did she really have to get all in the act like that?
 
"It's okay. No need. Kim Hyun Joong already has people who care  about him. And will make sure he's alright." You say.
 
"I'm just worried that's all." Cho-Hee replies with a shrug.
 
"Cho-Hee." Kim Hyun Joong suddenly chimes in.
 
You both turn to face him. 
 
"Thank-you. This is very... Considerate." Kim Hyun Joong says.
 
He then smiles at her.
You felt like you had been stabbed. That smile... The one which always made your heart melt... The one which you loved so deeply.... Was now for someone else.
 
Hyun Joong just wanted to end the uncomfortable atmosphere. He only showed politeness , hoping   It would stop Cho-Hee'd bickers. But he had no idea it would hurt you it the process.
 
"Y-Your welcome." Cho-Hee replies.
 
Jaejoong glances at you then at Kim Hyun Joong.
 
"Well..." Jaejoong cuts in suddenly. Everyone turns their attention to him.
"My visit here was short but I have some places to attend." Jaejoong announces.
 
"I see... Well, thank-you for coming." Mrs. Kim says with a small smile.
Jaejoong looks straight at you.
"-Your Name-. Could you accompany me on my way out?" Jaejoong asks. 
"-Your Name-?" Mr. And Mrs. Kim ask in unison. 
Jaejoong raises an eyebrow, and you nod once. You didn't mind escaping for a bit. 
*********************
 There was an awkward silence when you both left the hospital .
"Are you okay?" Jaejoong asks. He couldn't help feeling concerned for you.
It takes you a while to understand why he asked that.
"I-...I'm fine." You confirm.
 
Jaejoong sighs, confused why you would force yourself.
 
"-Your Name-." Jaejoong says firmly.
 You look at him.
"There's something... You need to know." Jaejoong says slowly.
 
"Hmm? What is it?" You ask.
 
"Now's not the time... Nor place...." Jaejoong says, thoughtfully.
You tilt your your head to the side.
 
"Tomorrow. I'll call you in the afternoon so we can meet." Jaejoong says.
 
You don't respond. You obviously didn't want to have any misunderstanding between each other. The only person you had feelings for was
 Kim Hyun Joong.
 
"Jaejoong..." You begin to say.
 
"Relax." Jaejoong stops you before going on.
"We'll just be hanging out like we used to, remember? You don't need to worry." Jaejoong states, assuming that the first thing you thought he would do was make a move on you.
 
"So. Do you agree or what?" Jaejoong asks. A grin on his face. 
 
You slowly nod...... It wouldn't hurt, right? 
****************************