Who Are You?

Tragedy

Without hesitation, you rush to the hospital.

"Please be alright. Please be alright." You whispered, pleading.

As soon as you arrive the hospital, you hurried to the main desk.

"Excuse me." You say urgently.

"Yes?" The nurse replies.

"A loved one has had an accident. I need  to know what room he's in." You say, voice was quivering.

" His Name?" She asks.

"Kim Hyun Joong." You reply.

" Ah yes. He has been moved to room #313 in the Emergency Department." She responds.

"Thank-you." You manage to say then quickly rush to his room.

You are met by his father outside the room. His eyes were swollen. You remember Hyun Joong mentioning his parents were currently working in Seoul. They have held  high positions in their work  and are often busy so it was rare to see them.

He must of gotten a call also. 

"Ah. -Your Name-. " He greets you with a weak smile.

"Mr.Kim. How is he?" You ask worried.

He hesitated before answering.

"Not well..." He responds softly.

The doctor walks out of Kim Hyun Joong's room and approaches you.

"Doctor. How is he? Has he improved?" His dad asks anxiously. 

"Fortunately, he wasn't severely injured. He has few cuts and bruises. The main injury he suffered was a light head collision. He's recovering really well though." He informs.

Both you and Mr.Kim sigh with a bit of relief.

"He's unconscious as of now but will soon wake. You  are free to see him." The doctor informs.

"Thank-you doctor." You reply.

The doctor nods and walks away.

Hesitantly, You and Mr.Kim walk into the room.

Once you enter, you notice Kim Hyun Joong laying on the hospital bed. There were bruises on his arms and a few on his face. A UV needle was in his arm. 

The room was filled with the sound of his deep breathing and the soft beeping of the machines.

Your heart sank from seeing him in this condition.

You felt Mr. Kim lay a hand on your shoulder.

" It hurts me to see him like this also." Mr.Kim says softly.

You slowly approach Kim Hyun Joong and hold his hand. 

"Don't worry. The doctor said he'll recover soon. our Hyun Joong is strong." Mr.Kim said, trying to calm you down, but you could hear his voice quiver as if though he also was trying to convince himself.

You nod. Kim Hyun Joong's father has always seen you as his daughter. He cared a lot for you and supported your relationship with his son. You also had a true respect for him. You couldn't imagine the pain he was feeling right now.

You stared at Kim Hyun Joong's pale face. And to think.... You were just with him before the accident.

"I shouldn't had left him leave... I should have found a way to stop him." You say blaming yourself.

"Don't blame yourself... You didn't know this would happen... None of us knew." Mr.Kim says,kindly.

The room door suddenly opened. 

You turn to see who had come in and notice Kim Hyun Joong's mother standing at the door.

She rushes up to her son, not noticing you nor her husband.

She Kim Hyun Joong's hair gently.

"My poor son. Why did this have to happen to you?" She said softly.

She then turns to face you and her husband.

"How long has he been here?" She asks, worried.

" He arrived here a few hours ago. The doctor said he  will  recover quickly. He should be fine." Mr.Kim replies.

"Does he look fine?Our son is unconscious!" His wife says angered.

Mr.Kim doesn't respond.

"Mrs.Kim ... The doctors did inform us that he would wake soon. He will stay here until he has fully recovered." You confirm.

"Very well.... Then I shall stay here until he wakes." She responds, determined. 

" Dear... " Mr.Kim begin to say.

"Actually... I wish to stay and watch over him." You say, uneasy.

"You?Watch over my son? I'm his mother and I think I should be the one who should stay." Kim Hyun Joong's mother says cold.

"Dear... Only one person can stay the night.... I think the first person our son would want to see when he wakes is -Your Name-..." Her husband says firmly. 

Mrs. Kim takes a deep breath

" I'm his mother." She repeats, her voice quiet now. 

"Yes... But -Your Name- is important to him also." Her husband responds.

Mrs. Kim sighs, defeated.

"Okay. Okay. " She says in a hushed tone.

You bow apologetically and she smiles slightly.

"Please Take care of him until he wakes" She asks and you nod.

Mr. Kim leads his wife out of the room... Leaving you and Kim Hyun Joong alone.

You understood why Mrs. Kim wished to watch over him. After all, it must be painful to see their son in this state.

Yet..... You felt as though you couldn't leave his side.

You his cheek gently and your hand gripped his, tightly.

"I'll always be here." You tell him softly.

******************** 

       8:15 a.m. The next day.

You had fallen asleep beside Kim Hyun Joong's bed. Your hand still held his.

 A slight movement of Kim Hyun Joong's hand made you wake up instantly.

You look at him carefully, positive that you felt his hand move.

"Kim Hyun Joong." You call out softly.

His eyes began to twitch. And then slowly.... they fluttered opened. Your heart bagan to race.

"Wh- Where am I?" He asks, his voice weak.

His hazy eyes tried to make out his surroundings. Every thing seemed blurred to him at first.

"Y-You're at the hospital." You say and your voice breaks. 

"Hospital?" He asks, uncertain.

"Yes. You were injured in an accident. But you're okay now." You say with a tender smile.  

His eyes finally met yours. A flicker of confusion swept through his face. 

"W-Who are you?" He asks.

Your eyes widen in confusion.

"Are you the doctor?" He asks, unsure. 

"Doctor?" You say uneasy,but then laugh lightly.

Surely he was joking.

Kim Hyun Joong tilts his head to the side.

"Come on. Stop joking. It's not funny." You say slightly annoyed. 

He doesn't respond. His eyebrows just furrow in confusion.

"Kim Hyun Joong. Why are you acting weird?" You ask, serious now.

He hesitates. 

"I...." He begins to say. His expression both thoughtful and confused.

Your heart sank. Could he have actually forgotten who you were?

"Kim Hyun Joong..." You say worried.

You reach out to him... But.... This time... He backs away from your touch.

*************************