Chapter 9 - Rebirth

The Lost Prince

Riko POV

 
time seemed to stop. the pain in my heart is excruciating. I looked at the knife and hands that is stained with the blood of the Niichan I loved dearly, and who is always there for me. I haven't yet discern my true feelings for him, but this is no longer necessary.
/flashback - just before Yu and Ryo reentered the house/
 
"Aoihoshi needs him more than you. help us change him back to Tanaka Ainosuke. Don't let your parents die in vain, Miss Riko. There will be no love between you and him, for a love is too complicated for the 2 of you. He who only sees you as a sister and not a love interest, will never be able to give you the love you desire. what's left will be an unfortunate fate and heartaches. let him go back to who he is, and this will be best for both of you"
 
"all you need to do... is just a stab, a painful stab that will kill him not, but breaks his heart and ties with his loved ones and freezes up his 20 years of heartwarming memories... for the sake of Aoihoshi" Takaki Yuya passes me the knife, the knife that has just pierced through his chest.
 
/end of flashback/
 
I couldn't answer any of Yu's questions.
 
I see sadness and hatred towards me who could have killed the little brother whom he could never bring himself to hate even with the knowledge of his involvement in our parents death.
he may seem to bear grudges against the fact that Ryo is the reason for our family's tragedy... but he and I, never once regretted having him in the family. though at the tragic expense of our parents , but Ryosuke gave Yu and I the most beautiful, most treasure-worthy 20 long years of memories we can never forget.
we both looked into the nightsky of Aoihoshi; the September snow seemed like tears that see the end of a once-perfect family. 
the cold numbs our heartache but doesn't help fill the loneliness.
 
things will never be the same without Yamada Ryosuke, my brother...
the one who touched my innermost heart.
 
....
*2 years later*
 
 
Shida Mirai POV
 
I looked silently out of the window into the Aoihoshi that is covered in September snow.
it has been 2 years since I left Shiroku to the land of Aoihoshi.
 
I stared at my marriage ring and realised it has been 2 years since I married him.
I love my husband dearly. should I say love at first sight. I resisted to an arrange marriage by my dad, King of Shiroku, as he felt indebted to the fallen King Akiyoshi from Aoihoshi. but when I finally met my husband-to-be, my heart goes thumping fast. even till now, he still gives me adrenaline rush and Apparently I still blush at the slightest interaction with him...
but.
 
I still have no knowledge of my husband's past... how did he live his 20 years, he never want to say, nor does his minions. 
 
I am not sure of our future, cause up till today, he hasn't really looked straight into my eyes. though married, our relationship has remained largely contractual.
 
/flashback/
"My daughter, I want you to assist Prince Ainosuke... having you by his side will give him power as a legitimate heir to the throne and also lend him our country's military might"
"so I'm selling my soul to a guy who loves me not, and I'm here only to protect him and help him be King of Aoihoshi?!"
 
"Gomenasai Mirai-san. please take care of me from now" Ainosuke appeared and said gentlemanly with a 90 degree bow.
this image of him left a lasting  impression on me... he has yet live as a royalty but yet he gives me the feeling of a prince who just walked out from those Disney fairy tales. 
 
but at the same time... there's a shadow looming behind him... 
I seldom see him smile.
 
he speaks little.
 
I know he suffered a lot of pain and hurt but he never want to tell anyone.
he feels lonely... but he never want accompany.
he is caring and concern towards me... but that is not love.
he loves me not.
 
our conversation are strictly professional and I never succeeded in probing anything beyond, and he never ask about my life.
we share the same chamber but he always go to bed after I fall asleep. he leaves the twin bed for me, and he lays on the cold, solid floor.
there were no instances of skinship. no hugs, no kisses... we have never even held hands.
 
one-sided love is extremely tiring , but his hidden sorrows and loneliness make me wanna stay by his side to shield him from all the harms and danger that he'll face.
I will press on... I will love him, no matter how hurtful it is. and i refuse to bother him about this. I'll silently convey my love.