Nasty predicament

The Lost Prince
"your highness~" the maid got startled by the sudden entrance of the Queen late into the night.
 
"the king has just fallen asleep" the maid reported as the Queen set her gaze into the room where she could see the outline of Ainosuke on the bed.
 
Mirai surveyed the servant girl who has just been assigned to serve Ainosuke. Ainosuke, since marriage, has refused the employment of maids to take care of him. Shy was one of the reasons bothering him, he did not want those servant girls to help him get changed, to help him with those intimate daily affairs. but these days, partly because of the stress he is undergoing with respect to the heavy Aoihoshi affairs, court matters, Riko's pregnancy and the Cold War between him and Mirai that has greatly affected his mood, his mother has insisted that the maids serve him for now...
 
"it's okay. you can leave us alone now." Mirai was about to dismiss the flustered maid when she saw something that was glaringly wrong on his dressing table. 
 
"wait, what's that? how dare you feed this to the King"
 
"no, you're mistaken, your highness. The King himself has requested for this. He has been experiencing insomnia for weeks and he needed just this to fall asleep." whatever the maid reported pained her heart as she realised the kind of agony she has subjected her husband to amid the difficult time he is facing. Now, he has to face the politics himself, since Riko doesn't at all understand the political ideas and the queen herself is at loggerheads with him recently. 
 
"replace this with vitamins. go now!" she instructed sternly for the sleeping pills to be secretly replaced as she didn't want Ainosuke to be reliant on such drugs.
 
As soon as the maid exited the King's chamber, Mirai walked closer to his bed. Every step she took, her feet and heart felt heavier. Once beside him, she realised how long she hasn't seen her husband since the quarrel by the lake. She wiped his fringe from his forehead; without the shadow casted on his face, she got a better glimpse of him... His eyebags are dark and gloomy; his lips is pale; his face is frail. 
 
She traced her fingers down his much-skinner face and expressed her sorry for all the unhappiness between them thus far, although she knew he isn't able to hear when on pills.
 
She lightly pressed her lips on his. her expression revealed distress as she recalled the hectic events that occurred in the past weeks.
 
/flashback/
not long after the outing by the lake which ended on a sad note, Riko's baby was due for delivery. it was earlier than forecasted because of her weak body. the whole process was heart-pumping for onlookers as her screams penetrated every corner of the palace. it is normally a standard protocol that any man, including the lady's husband is not allowed into the delivery room, but the dowager made an exception. Riko was yelling in pain for Ainosuke that the dowager summoned Ainosuke immediately.
 
But the scene was too gory and depressing for Ainosuke that he himself couldn't bear to watch. Riko scratched his arm numerous times as her hands grabbed him for comfort. Unknown to all, during all commotion, Ainosuke has secretly asked Chinen to bring Mirai over. He needs Mirai by his side to calm his nerves down before he too fall into mental depression in this explicit scene that not all men can withstand.
 
"Mirai, Ainosuke has asked of you to accompany him in the delivery room" 
 
"this is a test of his endurance. I won't be joining him as this is clearly something he has to face with her. it's their common collective memory that I for one should not enter."
 
"but Mirai... I think Ainosuke is deeply traumatized by the delivery. he is still young to face that~"
 
"he's the king. he must be able to withstand all circumstances. Chinen, just bring my word to him"
 
Mirai appeared to be heartless but Chinen knew she's just suppressing her yearn for Ainosuke to pave way for her plan which Chinen figured hurting him is definitely part of it. 
 
After Chinen exited, she secretly trailed behind until she reached the doorway outside the delivery room. it was hectic, everyone was flustered... maids, doctors all flooded the interior and exterior of the room. Yuto and Chinen were standing along the corridor, prepared to support the King through this. Mirai waited for her opportunity and peeked into the room when the guards weren't looking. Her heart wrenched when she saw Ainosuke holding the sweat-drenched Riko, wrapping her tightly in his arms and occasionally kissing her to calm her down whenever he sensed the intensity of pain rising. 
 
it is indeed a beautiful painting Ainosuke and Riko cast on the backdrop. it's a painting that Mirai could never produce...
 
the divine, why are you so cruel to take away this woman's right from me. I don't mind the pain... the emotional pain I'm suffering now from not being able to give him hurts me more than this. 
 
Her heart sank into an all-time low when she heard the final words from the room. these words are what she expected, what she hoped, what she called upon herself, yet hurting her heartstrings.
 
"Congratulations, your highness! it's a boy. Lady Riko has given Aoihoshi a heir! it's a boy" the doctor announced and everyone in the room gave their most sincere bow as a sign of congrats to the rulers.
 
Mirai ran back to her chamber and cried as she sees a big leap in her plans... her plans are brought forward and are running smoothly, and will soon bear fruit. 
 
"Ainosuke~ I love you~" she choked on her tears as she said while holding his hand against her heart.
 
she gently slipped her hand into his shirt where the deep scar sits on his bare chest. "when the time comes, I hope you'll not overly hurt yourself. hate me if it makes you feel better."
 
she pulled his palms over her face. the warmth radiates from the point of contact. the fuzzy feeling tingles  her heart, while letting out fresh tears that wet his fingers. 
 
when the dawn breaks, Mirai wasn't at his bedside anymore. 
 
"your highness, allow us to assist your preparation for the grand appearance" 2 maids stood behind Ainosuke and asked. Ainosuke nodded with a heavy heart as he is in no mood for the event. His eyes kept twitching like as if something bad is about to happen.
 
please let everything go through smoothly...but never would he know that his intuition is not only spot on but everything will change at the end of the day.
 
*******
Yuto rode his horse in the fastest speed he could, towards the kingdom of Shiroku. he is so uneasy that if he feels a need to get back by the time of the first grand appearance of Ainosuke and Riko's son first grand appearance. he held a letter personally written and handed by Queen Mirai to be passed to King of Shiroku. it was only before dawn today that she assigned him this secret task. 
 
what's so important that she can't wait until the end of the grand royal event?
 
he pondered as he sped across the meadows, and finally arrived at the majestic gates of Shiroku.
 
"report yourself" 2 guards questioned.
 
"Nakajima Yuto from Aoihoshi. i brought words from Our Queen, Shida Mirai for Your king"
 
"alright. open the gates" the guards instructed and Yuto entered Shiroku. Shiroku looks prosperous and strong. Aoihoshi after Ainosuke took over is restoring its glamour and with Shiroku's alliance, they'll be unbeatable. 
 
Shiroku could have easily wiped out Aoihoshi during Minoru's dark days but Yuto knew the reason why they remained the status quo.
 
The Great King Akiyoshi and Mirai's father King Takea were sworn buddies. After the assassination of Akiyoshi, Takea was so enraged that he swore he'll do what he can to save the Kingdom of his buddy. he was the one who called upon the Nakajima family and the Takaki family to plan for the rebel, and lend the support of his army through the legitimate marriage of his daughter and Ainosuke.
 
Yuto could feel the King's fatherly image as he approached the courtyard.
 
"Your highness, I'm Nakajima Yuto from son of Nakajima."
 
"ah, please rise. the last time I saw you, you were still a baby" Yuto returned a subtle smile.
 
"Shouldn't you be at Aoihoshi's grand ceremony? why are you here, alone, in my kingdom."
 
"I have brought words from Queen Mirai"
 
"Mirai? how is my daughter?" Yuto could sense the anger in King Takea. it's not unexpected, given that anyone would think that Ainosuke has let Mirai down by marrying Riko. Worst still, the first born is not from the Queen.
 
"Our king takes good care of her, so your highness, please be assured that Queen Mirai is doing well" Takea looked doubtfully into Yuto's eyes, but the latter communicated such confidence, he finally relaxed and took the letter from Yuto.
 
"Dear father,
 
I know I've disappointed you. I didn't fulfill my duties as a Queen, I failed to carry on the Tanaka lineage as you instructed. I realised that my presence has since caused increasing distress to Aoihoshi and Ainosuke. Father, protecting Ainosuke has become not only your concern, but mine as well. i love the both of you deeply and I believe this is the only way I could protect the 2 of you. putting the Shida family to shame is the last thing I want to do. I hope father could forgive me. please also continue to support Ainosuke and watch over him..
 
Love,
your dearest daughter.
 
Yuto could see the king's expression turned pale, but he was too engrossed in the letter that Yuto didn't want to interrupt him. the king's hands were trembling so intensely when he flipped to the second sheet of paper, and yuto could barely hear him mumble "s-severance letter~"
 
"pardon your highness, are you okay?"
 
"You have to get back to Aoihoshi right away!"
 
"w-what? is something wrong?!"
 
"my daughter... she's sacrificing herself.!"
 
the worst of Yuto's fears came true. he could tell Mirai's expression becoming more depressed by the day but the daily affairs has kept him so busy that he forgotten about Mirai's suspicious behaviors. 
 
"no no, no wonder she sent me out at this time. she wanted to keep me away so i wouldn't interrupt her plan! omg, nothing must happen to her" Yuto shivered in fear.
 
"listen, I want you to make sure my daughter is safe, like you said. whatever she has in plans, stop her."
 
"Yes, your highness. Queen Mirai is a great lady, all of us wil ensure her safety." Yuto bowed and dashed towards the door, only to slow down when the King uttered the last line.
 
"I have a whole Kingdom to answer to. Tell her I'm sorry, I cannot be there personally for her. It's my promise to her and the late Akiyoshi that I will continue to watch over Aoihoshi and Ainosuke regardless of what happens. Tell her to live happily." Yuto saw a drop of tear ran from the corner of his eye and felt an aching sensation in his heart.
 
Mirai, please don't do anything stupid. Please.
 
**************
"M-Mirai..." The courtyard was filled with officials, rushing to wish the King and Lady Riko on their newborn, but the King was desperately trying to reach out to the Queen who seemed distracted. But the surroundings flooded his call for her and the crowd just separates them further. It is only at the time of the public appearance that the royal family finally stood beside each other, but still there was no time for internal conversations.
 
Mirai and Riko stood at either side of Ainosuke, but Ainosuke's eyes were still fixated at Mirai as he sensed her uneasiness. Then, her soft hand slipped into his and their fingers tangled as one. Ainosuke realised how long it was since they held hands, and returned a genuine smile and tightened his grip.
 
Ainosuke, my honor husband....it will soon come to an end. whatever happens later, Please do not lose this smile...because your smile is the light of Aoihoshi. and please forgive me, this is the only way i could watch over you
 
Mirai watched silently as her husband and Riko waved to the crowd. Never in her life did she feel so neglected, so unwanted. Never did she feel that jealousy would be part of her. She never thought she would have to share her love with someone else. She felt muted at this point cause absolutely no one is giving her the attention. She is almost transparent.
 
The crowd gave a standing ovation when Ainosuke lifted the next heir to the throne, Tanaka Daichi, the son of Ainsouke and Riko. And that was the signal for Mirai. She reached out into her sleeves and revealed a dagger.
 
"QUEEN, NO!!" Chinen and Daiki who were focused on Mirai noticed her act and reacted immediately, alerting the others around. The whole scene was chaotic as the baby was tossed to Dowager Umi, while Keito and Inoo surrounded Lady Riko in order to protect her. All these happened in the same second as Mirai shows no hesitation when she stabs the dagger right into the same spot where Ainosuke's deep scar sat.
 
"Mirai~ w-why?" Blood gushed out of Ainosuke's wound, and he collapsed onto the ground with Yuya and Yabu by his side. Chinen and Daiki restrained Mirai and the bloody dagger fell onto the ground. The people of Aoihoshi turned hysteria as they shouted "THE QUEEN ASSASINATED OUR KING!" 
 
"THROW HER BEHIND BARS AND AWAIT MY FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS!" Dowager Umi instructed the guards. Chinen and Daiki helplessly did as instructed.
 
Mirai could figure a sense of betrayal running through Ainosuke. She could sense his pain, his agony, his confusion why all these are happening. That push of the dagger into the same spot, breaks her heart as well, as she knew that wound was equally hurting to his physical and mental self. Both Mirai and Ainosuke parted with tears in their eyes, and Ainosuke eventually passed out.
 
Ainosuke... i hope you understand my reason for doing so. Only someone worthy should stay by your side, and that person is none other than Riko. You'll get use to your future that has no 'me' in it.