a new threat

The Lost Prince

Embedded image permalink

Aoihoshi  continues to prosper under the hands of Ainosuke in the next 2 years. Shiroku's army, since the Queen's 'death' has retreated from Aoihoshi, thereby declaring Aoishoshi total independence. However King Takea has promised that Shiroku and Aoihoshi will continue its strong bilateral relations. With the full dedication of Ainosuke's key generals, the military strength of Aoihoshi grew exponentially to become threats to neighbouring states,.particularly the Kingdom of Akunami whose King, Kobayashi has always greed for more power and land. Kobayashi has a mutual agreement with King Minoru, hence Kobayashi has maintained peace between Akunami and Aoihoshi. But ever since Ainosuke took over, Kobayashi no longer needs to hold back his expansion plans. Seeing the massive growth of military might of Aoihoshi over the years, he is pressurised to take action soonest.

Ainosuke knew about Kobayashi's ulterior plans and has since been monitoring Akunami and kept it within radar. This night, just like every other night, he sat alone in his chamber, buried in his work until Riko falls deep into sleep before going to their shared chamber. He stared at a parchment sent by Ryutaro:

"Your Highness,

My spies have noticed a bit of manpower deployment at the borders of Akunami. I could tell that Kobayashi is becoming impatient and is striking soon. I've yet to determine the full force of Akunami, so I would advise Aoihoshi to stay low for the time.

And Ainosuke, regarding your task for me, I must tell you that I haven't found her yet. There's something weird though, about my search. Everytime I find a new clue, someone or something will probe up to distract me or beat me in the time game. But, I will continue to do my best. As long as she never left Aoihoshi, then I'll find her sooner or later. 

Don't worry.

-Ryutaro"

 

Ainosuke let out a loud sigh, but a sudden soft call startled him. "otousan...." A small hand grabbed his sleeves and when he turned to his side, he saw a young boy cuddled beside him on his seat, trying to wriggle his way into his arms.

"Daichi~it's getting late, why are you not asleep?" Looking down at him, he held him by his shoulders and asked with a gentle voice.

"otousan, you're not asleep too... Can you play with me?" Ainosuke frowned upon what his son requested because he knows his heart will not allow.

"no, go back to bed now. I have things to do"

"otousan....I wanna stay with otousan" tears trickled down his son's delicate cheeks and his heart felt a slight wrench. He held back his urge to give Daichi a comforting hug.

"Don't be a cry baby. This is the making of a future King, strong and unshaken. " He knows Chinen is just outside his chamber, so he summoned him.

"Yes, your highness~"

"Bring him back to his mum. Tell them not to wait for me, i won't be done anytime soon" he instructed Chinen. Chinen received the orders and carried the crying boy out of the chamber, and even then the boy kept asking for his dad. Chinen shook his head subtly as he disagreed with Ainosuke's heartlessness towards his own son. 

**********

awakened from her sleep, Riko quickly carried Daichi from Chinen. her son continued to sob uncontrollably as she tried to speak to Chinen. her heart felt heavy whenever her son cries for her dad, cause she saw herself in her son - the yearning for some attention from her loved one.

 
"what's happened?"
 
"He ran into Ainosuke's chamber..." there's no need for Chinen to carry on as Riko knew exactly what happened next. ever since Mirai died, Ainosuke just drown himself with work that he shoved away every other thing. sometimes he could run on 1-2 hours of sleep for consecutive days. he hasn't really spent adequate father-son time with Daichi since his birth. lately, Riko once again dreamt of her Ryosuke Niichan, those days where his tenderness and concern will always cause her wavering heart.
 
"Gomenasai my dear son" she felt that she brought such tragedy upon her son, that she felt a need to apologise and give Daichi whatever he needs. she leaned towards her son who's sound asleep after much wailing and coaxing and gave a gentle kiss on his forehead, wiping the tears still trapped on the sides of his eyes. She cuddled him beside her and eventually she too fell asleep.
 
*****
after Daichi's intrusion, Ainosuke could not focus on whatever he was working on and decided to take a walk in the royal garden.
 
"Chinen, I know you're here." Chinen has become so close to him this period that he could always sense him around, watching him like his guardian angel. he doesn't detest his presence, rather he is grateful of him cause Chinen knows when he needed him most and when he needs the silence. 
 
"am I disturbing you?" Chinen jumped from a tree and pops himself beside Ainosuke.
 
instead of replying, Ainosuke shook his head and subtly smiled to himself.
 
"Ainosuke, Daichi just needs a little of his father's attention."
 
"I know. but Chinen, do you know it still hurts when I thought about how much that person sacrificed for the three of us. everytime I see him, I can't help but think of her."
 
"that's why you have to forget her, or else not only Riko and Daichi, you'll get hurt too. sometimes you really worry me."
 
"chi, I... I'll try"
 
"I hope you will." Chinen gave his usual smile that lightens his heart a little.
 
they took a stroll along the garden path in deep silence, enjoying the peaceful cricket sounds and leaves rustling, until Ainosuke decides to speak after a while.
 
"chi, about Akunami... do you think I can protect Aoihoshi? To be honest, I'm not confident at all. both King of Shiroku and Akunami are at least twice my age. there's still so much to learn, and here I'm about to face a foreign threat."
 
"Ainosuke, haven't you realise yet? you have changed Aoihoshi from the desolated state to become this prosperous. Aoihoshi is comparable to Shiroku, and it's not always about military knowledge but also the righteous, integrity and positive leadership you possess."
 
"but Chii..." Ainosuke was interrupted by Chinen.
 
"you believe me and the other generals right?"
 
"of course..."
 
"then we believe you too." they exchanged a long smile 
 
"Chii, you know, I never treated you as my minion. you're instead my brother. now that Yu is no longer with me, Riko ceased to be my sister, there's alot that I dunno who to talk to. but there's always you now. sometimes I really wanna protect you."
 
"Ainosuke... me too. pardon me for the rudeness, I really see you as my elder brother. you have saved me numerous time
 
Ainosuke gave him a brotherly hug. "lets work hard together, okay Chii? and please be safe whatever that may happen in the future. your work is much more dangerous than mine"
 
Chinen was too touched that he was beyond speechless. at this moment, Ainosuke feels nothing like a King but a dear brother who vows to look after him. Chinen was the only child, and since his father has trained him as an independent warrior from young, he always yearns to depend on someone but didn't have the chance to. a tear rolled down Chinen's eyes, and onto Ainosuke's shirt. Noticing the dampness, he knew Chinen was crying and didnt want him to know, so he waited.
 
"I will~" Chinen said with a nasal voice.
 
"Then I promise you that I'll try to put my past behind." with that they pulled apart and smiled.
 
"what do you have in plans for Akumami?" Chinen probed.
 
"with the information at hand, it's difficult to firm up a strategy. I am going to send a group of 15 spies into Akunami. I have asked Ryutaro to select the best. No one is more capable of this other than the Morimoto family. from there, we will gather more information and gauge our chances and move on from here. But for now, Aoihoshi will stay low."
 
Chinen nodded and gave Ainosuke his faith in his plans. Soon after, they parted ways.
Ainosuke returned to the shared chamber where he sees Riko tugging Daichi in her arms, both sound asleep on the master bed. 
 
"gomenasai Riko, Daichi. I'll try. I know these 2 years I've been a jerk to the both of you, but please give me somemore time...Riko, actually, I do miss my sister... I'm still missing her, up till this point." He dropped kisses on both their foreheads before tugging himself on the other extreme end of the bed, turning away from the saddened faces of the other 2 companions.
 
************
 
"isn't that Ryutaro?" Daiki and Chinen were making their rounds went they spot Ryutaro walking towards them. "was he summoned for Akunami's issue?" Daichi asked. They picked up their speed and approached the high officer.
 
"Ryutaro, is a long time since we last see you!" they bowed as a sign of mutual respect, before giving each other a brotherly hug. However, Ryutaro hesitated when it comes to Chinen. Daiki noticed the hesitation and wondered why the sudden hostility that transpired between the 2, but decided to ignore.
 
"yea, Daichi...and Chinen" he looked into Chinen's eyes and gave the latter a chilling feeling down his spine.
 
"You're here about Akunami?" Daiki asked. 
 
"yeah, I am. and something else i need to report to the King." Ryutaro continued to look at Chinen when he said.
 
"is it more trouble?" Daiki asked worriedly.
 
"...I hope not."
 
There was a pause of silence, until Ryutaro spoke again " I need to go now. See you guys again soon." He threw Chinen a last glance before walking away. Chinen turned and look at his disappearing figure before returning to find Daiki sternly looking at him.
 
"is there something that you should be telling me?" Daiki asked.
 
"....Daiki...what if... what if I betrayed Ainosuke... what if I did something that will disappoint him...?" Distress and fear transpired between the 2, especially Daiki who saw Chinen bending down his head, unwilling to look into his eyes as if he really did something unforgivable.
 
********
"Your highness, Officer Ryutaro is here." the maid came in to Ainosuke's chamber and alerted.
 
"send him in." he wondered why Ryutaro is here earlier than expected, and was impressed by his speed of work.
 
"yes, your highness."
 
Ryutaro walked in and in that instance, Ainosuke was glad to see his informer once again.
 
"Your highness, it's a pleasure to see you again."
 
"me too, Ryutaro., I hope all is fine for you"
 
"It's good, thanks to you, your highness. But you, on the contrary, looked frail. My king, you need to take care of your health."
 
"I will, thank you for your concern. Take a seat." Ryutaro did as asked and flashed a document in front of him.
 
"Here are 15 spies chosen from our top-notch..." Ainosuke earnestly looked through each profile and gave nods of satisfaction, until he stumbled on the last 2.
 
"there are girls amongst them."
 
"yes, don't doubt their abilities, your highness. They are even better than our guys. Umika Kawashima and Ohgo Suzuka, they can definitely sneak into places our guys can't"
 
"yes, without a doubt, if there are from the Kawashima and Ohgo family, the generations of female warriors...just that they look really petite and feminine...."
 
"and attractive?"
 
Ainosuke blushed a little but refocused his attention at what Ryutaro has to speak.
 
"that's why they can really help in this mission, isn't it"
 
"yeah, I trust your judgement as always. and i see that your younger brother is involved in this mission as well." He flipped to one of the profile, Morimoto Shintaro, and analysed his credentials.
 
"yes. I hope that he'll perform up to your expectations"
 
"he will, he'll definitely live up to the Morimoto's name. So fret not, Ryutaro. I'm more concerned about the safety of you 2. This is a highly dangerous mission, so I want the 2 of you to return safely."
 
"we will. thank you, your highness." Ryutaro smiled and then took out another a nicely wrapped box.
 
"what is this then?"
 
"present for the crown prince that I bought on your behalf. I am sure he will be delighted. Found this from one of the old streets" Ainosuke was touched by Ryutaro's thoughtfulness. This makes it harder for Ryutaro to move on tho the next portion of his report, because it will definitely change his master's mood.
 
"There's something else I need to tell you, your highness."
 
"what is it?"
 
"It's about the search..." Ainosuke sat up in full alert upon hearing where this conversation is leading to.  
 
"you found her?!"
 
"no, I'm sorry." Ainosuke couldn't hide his disappointment, but what is worst is beyond his imagination.
 
"remember I told you that my search has been interrupted by weird interceptions... i thought it was just coincidental, or pure unlucky. but, recently i realised it wasn't. someone is deliberately intercepting and messing with this." Ainosuke's eyes widdened as he leaned forward for more details.
 
"Who is it?!"
 
"i am sure he has his reason for doing it, so promise me you'll listen to his explanation before passing any verdict."
 
"are you going to tell me whoever this is, is someone I know?"
 
"yes..... it's Chinen...." 
 
Ainosuke clenched his fist and tightened his jaw, as he felt a sense of....betrayal...