Changing tides

The Lost Prince

"King Kobayashi,

We can proceed as planned. As you have wisely expected, Nishikido Ryo will eventually be found out and luckily we have a backup plan in place when such happens. With an indication from you, we will proceed. Fortunately, regardless how smart King Ainosuke is, his weakness ultimately lies in his trustfulness towards his men and that will be the cause of his ultimate defeat and even death. With your wise leadership, you can triumph this inexperienced King and bring Aoihoshi to greater heights. We will fully adhere to your commands whatever it may be.

I & K.
******
King Kobayashi casted his gaze upon the guy who was cuffed both on his hands and feet, brought before him by Ryutaro and his guards. It has been a week since Ainosuke decided to confront and hopefully, deter Akunami from declaring war upon Aoihoshi by showing that his planted mole in Nishikido house has been fully dissembled. To have Ryo brought up to the courthouse of Akunami, it will ideally threaten Kobayashi to give up his plans knowing that it cannot proceed as planned. Ryutaro expected some look of disappointment from the King's face but instead, he saw a sinister grin that send chills down his spine. The king remained silence for an extended period of time, then suddenly broke out in a sarcastic and prolonged laughter that echoed through the enormous courthouse.

"and why bring this useless junk to me?"

"concede defeat and terminate whatever plans you have for Aoihoshi cause our King will not condone such acts of intimidation. Spying is the act of the lowest class, it brings shame to your people."

"ah I see your king is trying to teach an elder a lesson. I acknowledge your pointers but I supposed I did your King a favour too."

"in what way, please enlighten me," Ryutaro asked.

"I helped sieve out those with weak determination and those with fleeting loyalty. in it's most basic form, I reminded your king the value of his trust on his fellow men. the young king of yours has a lot to learn in this sense from the elders."

"our king rules with his sincerity and purity, and he touches the hearts of the people who willingly serves him!"

"then this man would not have wavered to my proposal, would he?"

Ryutaro didn't know how to respond to the last question, cause the King was right. Ainosuke's method didn't work on those whose minds are corrupted with greed and power.

"in any case, let me do the honours..." the king smirked. Ryutaro didn't grasp his statement, and to his horror, the most gruesome thing happened right by his side. A bows man who appeared silently from the side shot an arrow right through the center of Ryo's forehead.

Ryutaro trembled when he saw the stream of blood that flowed slowly and neatly down the newly inflicted impression with the arrow still sitting firmly on Ryo's forehead. What's most terrifying is that Ryo's eyes are still wide opened in a state of petrification, as if time has frozen for him from this time on and forever. There was no last words or screams from him. His brain stopped throbbing, his heart stopped thumping. He is dead.

"Y-You?! what have you done?"

"I did what should be meted to all man who sells his nation out. and I think I have no business with you or your men to continue this meet. and I suggest you to leave at once and bring this corpse back to your country" King Kobayashi let out another hysteric laughter and departed with his court. The men with Ryutaro looked at him for his latest instructions since they too were too shocked at what bloody scene they encountered earlier. Ryutaro was no exception, but he could not show his fumbling side to his comrades, hence he could only hardened his traumatised heart and instructed, "carry him back to Aoihoshi..." and they proceeded without hesitation.

Deep down, Ryutaro felt a surge of uneasiness run through his veins. King Kobayashi is much more evil, much stronger than he has imagined. The fact he did not even fumble at all when he realised his plans were discovered was beyond Ryutaro's expectations. Such confidence from the perpetrator was unsettling. It was almost like Kobyashi saw this coming...

By the time Ryutaro reported to Ainosuke at court with Yuya, Yuto, Hikaru, Yabu, Chinen, Daiki, Inoo and Keito, Ryo's corpse was already freezing cold with his face greying by the second. Ainosuke slammed his fist on the table with rage burning his face. The rest were simply lost for words, and some were too saddened by the tragic dismiss. 

"I failed, your highness. I should have protected Ryo to and fro and ensure he remains our prisoner alive. Instead I let such cruelty happen before my eyes and I did nothing to save him. I accept any punishment you mete upon me," Ryutaro kneeled down with his head lowered. Ainosuke remained silent with his teeth grinding, his fist clenched tightly.

"Ainosuke, isn't Ryutaro's fault. We never meant for this to happen. We didn't foresee King Kobayashi will have such extreme actions" Yuto stood up and begged for the forgiveness of Ryutaro, and Chinen and Daiki followed suit.

"Silence!" Ainosuke broke his own silence eventually. "I am not holding anyone responsible so stop fussing over this. What I am bothered about is the fact that you said Kobyashi looked confident and calm."

"too calm actually" Ryutaro added as he rose to his feet and finally exchanged gazes with his King. It was like they mutually came to a consensus about the situation facing them, without uttering a single word. For the benefit of the others who didn't seem to understand, Ainosuke explained, "I think our plans aren't working. I am sure Kobayashi has a plan B. He is obviously not needing Ryo's service and has already gotten what he needed from this pawn. Whatever Kobayashi has up his sleeves, he is confident to see its fruition"

"I think we should step up our security at this time, the borders in particular" Yabu spoke as usual with his wisdom.

"Yes, and Shiroku has to be warned too. We need Shiroku's army if we were to defend against Kobayashi. Though we are matchable to their army with the help of the Nishikido elders, but to ensure no interruption to the livelihood of our people, we still need the help of Shiroku," Hikaru added.

"Yes. Yabu and Hikaru, you will see through the deployment of the army. Yuto, you will be my ambassador to Shiroku from now. I need you to send words to King Takea and consult him about our contingency plans."

"hai," they exclaimed in unison then left the room, leaving Chinen, Daiki, Inoo and Keito. He dismissed the latter three, leaving Chinen still sitting in the room in a daze. In fact, his mind was stuck at the time when Ryutaro brought in Ryo's corpse. He is confused as to what he should feel. On the one hand, he finally sort of avenged for his father, then on another hand, he worries for the woman who has now entered his heart quietly. Ainosuke saw through Chinen right away, and propped up beside him. The moment Ryutaro reported to have heard that Hiro Kawashima too has been executed by King Kobayashi when he entered their country, Ainosuke was already prepared to face these tangled hearts of Umika and Chinen.

"Hold yourself together, Chinen,"

"h-how is she gonna accept the death of his brother?" Chinen had his head cupped upon his forehead in depression. Ainosuke sighed then placed his arm over the smaller boy.

"If she has lost a brother, then we'll just have to make up the number and fill up the lost in her heart and mind. 

"h-how is it possible?" Chinen slipped deeper into desperation. Ainosuke cupped his face and forced him to set his gaze on him.

"Oi, look at me. who am I?! I'll make sure that happens so you don't have to worry about it. I just need to verify something with you."

"what is it?"

"do you pledge to stay by her side?"

"I..."

"don't run away anymore, Chinen! Search through your heart and answer me."

Chinen touched his chest and felt his heart cringed. He closed his eyes as if pondering seriously over Ainosuke's words, then pry open his eyes as though received an enlightment, "I will. I will protect her. I will love her"

Chinen slouched as if a heavy load has been relieved from his shoulder. He felt amazingly light after letting it go and a smile crept up Ainosuke's face when he saw Chinen's expression soften "good, then leave the rest to me. You just have to keep to your words. Umika is a nice girl, even though her family has let down our empire. So I will guarantee her happiness."

"arigatou gozaimasu, Ainosuke-sama"

"You can leave now." Ainosuke announced, but Chinen hesitated after seeing the deep frowns on his master's face, "is there something bothering you, Ainosuke?"

"nothing..." Ainosuke replied with a restless tone.

"if it's about King Kobayashi, then don't worry, we'll pull through it together. Aoihoshi is definitely stronger than before if not as strong as your father's. So I am confident Kobayashi will think twice before attacking us"

"hope so..."

Once Ainosuke is alone in silence, his thoughts amplified... He kept wondering what Ryutaro reported about the specific topic that Kobayashi haboured upon during their meet...."why is he telling Ryutaro that I trust too easily?" Ainosuke was almost sure this was a warning from his enemy. "Could this be his next move? could it mean that Ryo wasn't the only one?"

Ainosuke shut his eyes and pressed upon his temples to ease the growing pain on his head. Instead of resting, he thought that he could probably not be able to fall asleep on a heavy day like this, so he might as well set out to accomplish what he promised Chinen. That was another source of his headaches since he didn't know how to  face a girl who tries so hard to appear emotionally strong in front of everyone. Umika...

*****

After a short stroll to the place he has never stepped in before, Ainosuke took a seat beside one of the shabby beds left isolated in a corner of the damp-smelling chamber. He silently watched as the two girls slept, with tears running loose on both their closed eyes. He knew they both have longing for someone and were both hurting, but their feelings have to be shoved away in light of the impending war that seemed to be firming up as they speak.

He wiped the tears off the one who sobbed most bitterly in silent, and when his fingers brushed those droplets off her face, she awakened with her eyes opened slowly.

"A-Ainosuke..." Umika uttered, then Mirai who was barely sleeping sat up as well.

"Ainosuke!" Mirai exclaimed and was almost about to throw her arms over him but was dismissed instead.

"shhh. don't alert anyone else. Mirai, I am sorry but I am here tonight for Umika. You know the reason right?" Ainosuke spoke delicately with his hand clutching hers delicately. Mirai nodded disappointedly, but when she gazed at Umika, she knew her closest friend now needed to see him more than she did.

"I'll walk around outside first..." Mirai thought it was best for her to vacate the place so that he could speak privately with her over the recent dismiss of her brother. Then she felt a soft touch at the tip of her fingers. She looked down at her hand and saw his enclosing hers within.

"Wait for me at my chamber. Be careful not to be spotted" Ainosuke sincerely transmitted his message with his gaze fully fixated upon hers. Since the day Mirai saw him at the cemetry with his family, she has been yearning for him but hasn't gotten the chance to see him in private. She felt that she was so close to him, yet so far at the same time. She knew it will be tiring, but she never expected it to be so daunting.

"okay. see you" Mirai smiled then shifted her gaze to Umika and gave her a supporting smile before leaving them alone.

"I guess you know all that has happened right? The gossips circulating in and out of palace would have revealed everything to you, so there's very little i could say. I did ended up sending him on his path to death and I did indirectly murdered your brother, so if you are gonna hate on me, I wouldn't bear a grudge on you. If there is anything I could do to lighten you grief, tell me. As long as it is within my capacity, I will grant your wish."

"I am saddened by his death, but I am not blaming anyone for it. He did kill Chinen's father and he did betray you, yet you so magnimously forgave him. If there's any fault, it's the fault of the treacherous King of Akunami. so I hope you won't take it too hard on yourself too, Ainosuke-sama"

"I did tell you to drop the honorifics right."

"h-hai, gomenasai... Ainosuke, now... now...I am really alone, ne..."

Ainosuke lifted himself on his feet then sat right beside Umika. Her eyes widdened when she felt a warm sensation radiating from around her shoulder, and she felt so instantly secured as though someone was watching after her. She tilted her head towards the source of such comforting warmth that circled her shoulder and saw Ainosuke propped so closely by her side, with his arms clinged around her, pulling her closer towards him.

"A-Ainosuke..."

"you are not alone... If you don't mind, I can be your brother..."

Tears was b in Umika's eyes. She just looked at Ainosuke in a daze, completely stunned by his offer. She just couldn't comprehend how she could be the recipient of such tender-loving care from such an amazing King like Ainosuke. Even Hiro has never treated her like his sister, but a stranger, not just any stranger, someone sitting right at the top of the hierachy would give her such attention. She didn't know what to say cause she was simply too shocked to say anything.

"well, I can assure you, I can be a good brother. You can ask the Queen if you have the chance. I'm sure she was satisfied with me as a brother of hers once, thought things took such an enormous turn. Now that I have no sister to call, I really would love to have one as kind as you. But of course, this is not an order. If you think you can't face me properly because of what happened in your family, then you just have to tell me what you wish to do. Even if you wanna leave the palace, it's fine with me. i'll do my best to get you out without anyone coming after you"

The more Ainosuke offered, the more touched she was till she finally let out her cries and threw herself over him, embracing him tightly. Ainosuke chuckled, then patted her head lightly with his free hand reciprocating the hug by circling it around her back. He heard a soft, but firm call from her and from the bottom of his heart, he found himself smiling..."niichan... yoroshiku onegaishimasu". He tightened his hug and so the night became calmer at least for the grieving girl.

****

Mirai's feet turned cold when she bumped right into the lady she least want to meet. Riko was just exiting from Ainosuke's chamber after waiting for him in vain, with the food she prepared which unfortunately turned cold. Though Mirai was dressed in the guard's suit, she was too afraid that Riko could see through her disguise given that her size is too petite for a guard. Her head remained lowered and she could sense Riko trying desperately to examine her face.

"Good evening, your highness" Mirai spoke in the lowest tone she could, still with her head down. Riko seemed even more suspicious then before, and Mirai thought she couldn't escape from her inspection anymore. Cold sweat trickled down the sides of her head, and her breathing hastened with every word Riko says to her.

"do you know where the King is?"

"I am not sure, your highness. I think he is still busy with court affairs"

"Then why are you heading to his chamber, if you knew he wasn't in..."

Mirai was too nervous to realise Riko's questions were trapping her. She is most definitely caught red-handed. it's just Riko, maybe it's okay to let her know?  Mirai knew Riko would continue to probe until she confirms her suspicion. Just when Mirai was about to give up and reveal herself, some footsteps distracted both of them.

"Ainosuke..." Riko exclaimed excitedly. Ainosuke saw the food she was holding and felt remorse, yet at the same time, he took a quick glance at Mirai and saw the situation she is embroiled in.

"Riko... I'll take the food, but please go back and rest. I won't be done anytime soon," Ainosuke tried to grab the bento from her but she held back.

"the food is cold already. Let me heat it up and bring it over to you"

"it's okay, it's not spoiled so I can eat it."

"b-But...."

"please Riko..." he looked at her with slight irritation.

"okay then. oh, but this guard, he's weird... He came looking for you right in your chamber though he knew you weren't in. He must be looking to steal something from your chamber"

"enough... he's my guard. I told him to come, so kill that paranoia of yours," he didn't know why he was so harsh on her but he just felt angered by her undermining accusations towards her, though he was aware that Riko wouldn't have known who was under this suit. Nonetheless, he did not like that persistent tone of hers. Especially after Ryo's incident, he has become particularly sensitive when it comes to trust issues, but he wanted to believe strongly and not doubt those people around him. Hence, Riko's accusation only triggered his sensitive spot.

Riko was not used to see him so fierce to her. She backed slightly and tried her best to control her tears from bursting out, since she realised all she ever did since she married him was cry and add to his distress. On the other hand, Ainosuke averted his gaze and dismissed her without hesitation, "just go back first. I'll consume the food."

"okay. goodnight" she announced her departure and turned her back against him.

"I'm sorry Riko," he uttered silently to himself, but Mirai read it clearly from his lips. She knew that he regretted blowing his temper on her, and given the kind Ainosuke she knew so well, he would not forgive himself for making a girl cry, what's more his sister and wife. But Mirai knew she won't have it any better either when he gripped her elbow tightly and pulled her into his chamber and closed the door shut behind. She saw that the heavy expression on his face hasn't dissolved, instead intensified, and so she braced herself for his harsh treatment.

****

Riko strolled back with silently tears trickling down her cheeks. She was too engross in her sorrows that she didn't realise that someone was trailing behind her from the time she left the sight of Ainosuke. When she finally realised, it was too late...

She quickened her footsteps as she saw her chamber in the distance, and just when she tried to close the door behind her, she realised she couldn't. Someone was holding on to her door. She trembled in fear when she saw the sinister expression he wore, and when he pushed opened the door, she realised there wasn't just one but two of them. 

"w-why...why is it you guys.... w-what do you want?!! A-AIII" before she could scream for her husband's name and summon help, her assailant knocked her out with  a heavy impact inflicted on the crook of her neck. Immediately she fell unconscious in one of the assiliant's arms. 

The night grew cold and uncertain.

Unknown to the inhabitants of the castle, something terrible is already underway, something that would mark the start of a historical change.

The seed of endless plight has began to sprout, and so the love, friendship and kinship will be put through the final test to ascertain its value in face of true adversity.