Chapter 10 - our first night

The Lost Prince

Chinen Yuri POV

"Ainosuke-kun, look here!" I signaled the prince to my side. We stood on the roof of the house and can clearly see the King's guards openly harrassing a helpless family.

I looked at the prince, and his expression is full of vengence.

I can't help but to realise that this guy I met 2 years earlier has changed a lot during this 2 years. He is undeniably stronger, both physically and mentally. He can fight alone against an army of 10 people. That being said, I think he hides his fear and sadness from everyone else, and only presents himself as a dependable Prince who smiles very little.  So the Prince before me now, is rather cold and emotionless. I know deep down, he is a very warm and sweet guy, but he choose not to show it since 2 years ago.

He started making cautious steps towards the house.

"there's a lot of them. it's too dangerous" I grabbed his arms to stop him.

"it'll be fine" he shook my hand away.

I shot a glance at Daiki we stood on the opposite roof with Yuto, and we nodded to each other as a signal that we will cover Ainosuke from any attacks.

 

We broke into the house with Ainosuke standing behind the three of us, and we assessed the situation

Victims: 1 old man, 1 middle age woman and 2 children, one girl and one boy.

Attackers: 7 fully-suited guards.

Ainosuke: "Such preposterous act." (he smirked). "how many do you think you can take down, Chinen, Yuto and Daiki?" 

Daiki: Well, I won't lose to you. (Daiki challenged) 

Yuto and I: We won't lose either (we laughed)

Ainosuke: We'll see about that

3 of the guards quickly responded to our hostility by seizing the 2 children as hostages. But that doesn't stop from Ainosuke from charging.

In a flash, he killed 2 of the 3 guards, leaving one who started backing away. Leaving

behind survivors is never our practice, so Ainosuke mercilessly stabs the 3rd guard and carried the 2 children in his arms.

"niichan~" the 2 children cried.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Ainosuke froze upon hearing their call for him.

While Daiki, Yuto and I each was preoccupied with 1 guard, the 4th remaining guard charged towards Ainosuke when he thought Ainosuke was distracted.

"Ainosuke!" Daiki shouted.

With the 2 children on his hands, he kicked his leg right at the attacker's face. He slams his feet on the attacker's chest, while he put down the 2 children and have them stand behind him.

Ainosuke: "cover your eyes" he said to the 2 children. He lifted the sword on his hand and pierced it through his chest.

"It's a new record! 2 minutes and 30 seconds" Daiki announced and the rest of us smirked in pride.

"prince~"

the 4 of us are stunned when one of the family members called out.

"how did you know?" Yuto turned to the old man.

The old man walked towards Ainosuke and touched his face. "the boy has her eyes."

"Prince Ainosuke.... we thought you are dead" he added.

The rest of the family knelt down and teared.

Ainosuke: "Please rise, all of you!" 

"Please save Aoihoshi. Please!" the old man held Ainosuke's hands and cried.

Ainosuke: I will. I promise.

Ainosuke bent down and is helping the old man stand up when suddenly...

"AINOSUKE!" Yuto shouted. the 3 of us wanted to protect Ainosuke from the attack by one of the guards who is holding on to his last breathe. It is so sudden that there is no way Ainosuke can dodge from it.

But before we can reach him, someone else beat us to that.

the old man acted as a human shield from the deadly attack. blood splurted from the old man's mouth and onto Ainosuke's hands and clothes.

Ainosuke stood in shock, he did not let out a single sound. I could see tears forming in his eyes as the old man collapsed in his arms. Almost instantly, the tears in his eyes dissipitated into anger. 

"AHHHHHHHH!" he let out a fierce shout and repeatedly stabbed the attacker to his death.

I went forth and grabbed his arms, only then he stopped. He bent down and closed the eyes of the old man.

"Yuto, Daiki, Chinen~" he ordered.

"hai."

"help this family relocate and settle down. Give this man a proper burial" he delegated.

"don't worry. we'll get it done right away...it's a long day, you go back and get a rest" Yuto replied.

He spoke no word more. He kept his sword and is about to exit the house when the little girl grabbed his hand, "niichan~"

he froze on the spot again and i can tell that he is holding in his tears.

"stay safe." he said without looking at the girl directly. He pulled his hand away and walked forward, but he turned briefly to look at the little girl once more.

"Chinen, go back with Ainosuke... and let Mirai know" Daiki instructed.

"hai." I took my leave on the other horse.

Shida Mirai POV

"Welcome home... dinner will be served soon" the servant called out.

"I have no appetite, so you guys go ahead and have dinner. 'll be in my room. Don't let anyone disturb me" Ainosuke said

"hai"

he walked silently towards the bedroom. His backview today is particularly lonely and sad. 

what's wrong with him today? did something happen on his daily missions? he doesn't look injured. 

"Mirai-san" Chinen called out and interrupted my thoughts.

"what's wrong with him?"

(...) Chinen explained. "Mirai-san, it'll be easier to approach him. It's difficult for guys"

I doubted myself. "erm. are you sure? he doesn't really tell me anything."

"you can do it" Chinen assured and added "I'll leave him to your good care". He gave me his usual bright smile.

"i'll try~" 

I think he is feeling guilty and burdened. I actually pity his plight alot. How can I make him feel better. 

 

"i said not to disturb me" Ainosuke said frustratedly as heard the door to our bedroom creaked.

"hey~it's me"

"oh. hey~... " he looked at the clock and is about to stand up.

I know he realises it is close to bedtime and he wants to excuse himself out of the room so that I can rest. Like I said, he always comes in only after i fall asleep....it's to make me comfortable i guess.

"stay for tonight." i pressed him back down.

"heh?"

I sat on the ground, close beside him.

"I made something for you. here..." 

"Mirai~"

"Strawberry Shortcake... i don't know what you like, but I like this...try it"

"arigatou" He smiled. he actually smiled!

he took a bite and exclaimed, "OISHIII"

"glad you like it"

"I LOVE IT. Arigatou Mirai!"

He ate and ate and I could tell he really like it, and i can also tell he is hungry since he didn't eat dinner.

"ah gomene. let's share this" there was one bite left and he offered. i never thought he would share his food with me. as in, i never thought i could eat the food that has touched his lips.

he fed me the last bite and it does really taste good~

I realised we are in very close proximity and my heart skipped a beat.

The silence is awkward.

"Ainosuke~"

"nande?"

"You will make a great ruler."

"you think?"

"Yes. Back in my country, we have many princes vying for the spot of King. But ya'know, you are way more capable, humble and righteous than any of them."

he smiled briefly but did not answer.

"but.... i guess I'm not a good husband~" he looked into my eyes

I really didn't expect him to say that and I must admit, it made me nervous.

"nandayo. we agreed, didn't we. we'll cover for each other... and besides, i think you have been really nice to me"

"gomene" he said and looked back down. Guess my answer didn't convince him and he feels bad?

"hmm but we haven't spoke that much to each other before" i responded and he giggled.

"Ainosuke~ you don't have to feel bad towards me. I'm here to help you, and i haven't done much. the time will come soon where you challenge the King directly, and that will be the time I'll protect you" he looked at me earnestly.

"Mirai~ I won't allow anyone around me to be hurt because of me, so I will protect you instead. I won't put your life at risk"

no no, he got it wrong. Why is he protecting me. I'm here to protect him, isn't it. Baka Ainosuke.

i unknowingly brought my fingers close to his lips which is stained with cream. 

"Mirai~" 

he looked at me in shock.

then,

i silenced him with a gentle kiss on the creamy lips. i hear his soft breathing sound, on the contrary, my breathing sound is alot louder as i am too nervous from taking this initiative. his lips is tasty, is soft and irresistible.

his closed eyes makes me wonder what he is thinking about when I kissed him.

i slowly parted and he slowly lifted his eyelids.

i moved my hand into his shirt and placed my hand on his bare chest where a deep scar sits.

He grabbed my hand.

Instead, I shook it off and removed his shirt slightly. I brought my lips to his scar and sealed it with a kiss.

"Mirai~"


"i'll wait till you decide to tell me your past." i smiled.

I know he needs a bit of quietness, but at the same time I know he dislikes loneliness although he keeps shutting himself out. I sat beside him quietly and we fell asleep on each other's shoulders.