The missing piece

The Lost Prince

Ryosuke awakened to the rustling of the leaves hung high on the trees. He let his eyes closed while observed the sounds of nature, trying to imagine his surroundings, and to endure the aftermath of a massive headache that left him still nausea. He felt a soft pressure on his chest and his fingers and was afraid to know what is holding him down. He was afraid of what he would receive when he reopened his eyes, but his other senses are only driving him more insane by the second. His frown was so deep when he decided to feel around with his free hand manuvering cautiously. Slow and steadily, he ran his fingers to where the pressure points were and felt it tremble. Whatever it is, he knew it was shivering in cold. It's wet just like he is. He jerked his other hand and realised his fingers are intertwined with another. He felt it's softness, yet he could also feel the wrinkles at its tip. His curiousity finally led him to pry open his eyes, and there before him, he saw a female laid on top of him. He let his hand run down her long drenched hair drapped across her face and softly pushed it behind her ears, revealing her face which he would have feared. He did felt his breathe quickened at the first instance, then his eyes was attracted to her pale lips. An image flashed through his mind, and it appeared to be sometime when he was trapped underwater by the seaweeds. He thought it was odd how she infiltrated his mind and that image of her just made his heart beat unsteadily. He remembered the suppleness of her lips, as if he touched it; he remembered the rhythm of her heart, as if his was synchronised with her; he felt her, as if they have connected. He thought he could feel his heartaching when he saw her trembling in the cold, yet at the same time, his fear for her did not fully subside. However, in hi subconscious mind, he was willing to suppress this fear for her until she is better, cause he knew for sure, this lady has risked her life to safe him, though he could not figure out why she would do that for him.

He carefully lifted her and laid her down on the soft ground. Squatting beside her, he looked at her wrinkled face from soaking in the water, yet her beauty wasn't compromised. He found himself captivated by her that he unconsciously started tracing his fingers on her delicate facial features and brushing her fringe from her forehead. He thought he could feel a different aura emitted from her as opposed to that of his brother's or Kitaura's. More importantly, he felt that this lady make his heart flutters and it was nothing like when he played with Kitaura. He shook his head as he tried convincing himself that he loved being with Kitaura, but the presence of this lady kept distorting his senses.

"why does she look so sad?" he uttered silently when he saw a drop of tear rolling down her closed eyes which later mixed with the droplets of water which have taken up most of the space on her small face. "is she in pain? is she hurt?" he pondered as he recalled their close shave with death. He finally examined the rest of her properly and was shocked to see blood spilling from her knees and cuts spread across her legs. His fear of blood led him to back away a few steps, then he felt his head throbbed as some bloody images which made no sense to him flashed repeatedly through his confused mind. It was like he could see faces of dying man, headless bodies with blood gushing from their torn, battered bodies. It felt like he was there, and that scared him immensely. He buried his head between his palms to escape those noises screaming in his brain, but her moans and groans recalled his senses. Something is telling him that she cannot end up like those people he saw in those images. He grabbed a sturdy looking branch that jabbed it right into the bark of the tree, as he has observed his brother did, and water started streaming from within. He quickly caught them with his bare hands and dashed back to her. By the time he reached her, there wasn't much left. Though disappointed, he quickly let the remaining drip into . He was saddened when he saw none of it entered her drying cavern. He was lost for ideas, his mind was too confused to know what he needed to do. The harder he thought, the more painful his head throbbed. Then somehow, he recalled what she did for him. He innocently thought if her lips has revived him, then he probably could do likewise. He ran towards the bark once again and fill not his hands but his mouth with water. He avoided gulping it down, then rushed back. He gently lifted her up and supported her head with his arms. He aimed at , then let his lips seal with hers. The water gushed through into her cavern. When he felt his hand above throbbed slightly, he knew she drank it, and only then he parted his lips from hers. He felt his heart skip a beat once again, and found himself dazing at her, temporarily leaving her in his arms, until the blood caught his attention again.

He lowered her down once more and cautiously went closer to her wounds on her legs. He lifted her skirt slightly, and cautiously pry apart her legs. Though he was limited by his own intelligence, he knew that a male should not intrude on a female's private areas. He was immensely troubled as he couldn't decide if it was right to clean her wounds which was inflicted very near to her crotch. The bleeding has to stop nonetheless, hence he was stuck with a moral decision that only he could solve. At this point in time, he wished he hadn't save her so he wouldn't feel obligated to save hers. However, deep down, he didn't want her to die amid his dislike for her. His brain was splitting apart by his own angel and devil.

After taking a second look at the agony on her worn-out face, he decided to go by his conscience. He ripped a piece of cloth from his top and exerted pressure upon the bleeding wound. Perhaps, he has touched her sensitive spot that she let out a groan. She awakened with a scare, especially when she realised where his hands were placed. It was a weird sensation that was unwarranted because he was her husband though he don't remember, but such strange electrifying sensation that made her tremble slightly shouldn't have existed. It was like as though her body was experiencing a withdrawal. Was it because he has never touched me for a very long time?

"d-did I hurt you?" his voice trembled when he asked fearfully. But he thought for once, she felt more fearful of him than he felt of her. He thought this was a refreshing reversal and that made him more careful. She pulled herself together, but still she felt conscious of his touches and was ashamed of her feelings. I was the one who wanted him back, but why am I so afraid of him now? Have I unconsciously moved on from his absence? Have I actually accepted his departure without realising it myself?

Her cowardness was regrettable, cause her subtle withdrawal raised his fear once again. He too withdrawn his hands immediately after securing the cloth around her bleeding wound.

"thank you, Ryosuke" she addressed him personally and was glad when she saw an awkward smile on his face. at least it was an improvement, she thought. When she saw the nice knot on her wounds, she was amused by how skilled he was with this, and she was hopeful he has recovered.

"how did you learn bandaging?" she asked with full of anticipation.

"niichan taught me. He said a man should learn. I helped Kitaura many times" he said excitedly as if hoping for praises. Her heart sank.

"d-did you lose someone?" he suddenly asked when Mirai tried to sit up. He propped himself in front of her, facing her frontals with an earnest look.

"why did you ask?"

"cause you look like niichan when he was sad over our youngest sister"

Mirai's eyes widdened as his statement implied that he remembered Riko's existence.

"you remember her? Yamada Riko?"

"you knew her too?! yes, she is my sister. But niichan said she has gone up" he pointed naively at the sky.

"did someone you know went up too?" he continued asking. He saw tears b in her eyes when she didn't reply. 

"it's okay. I think the person will be happy up there. My sister is happy there too," he said innocently, but his tone of voice and his kid-like response made Mirai even more sad cause the person they were discussing is sitting here, but he doesn't know that she meant him. 

"I t-think he's happy" she finally admitted and broke down in tears. She couldn't hold on any longer, especially with no one around, she just wanted to dump herself in his embrace even if he has no recollection of her. He was startled when she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly, leaving no gaps in between. Again, he found this feeling extremely familiar but the more he tried to recall, the more painful his headache become. Mirai buried her face on the crook of his neck and she sniffed his familiar scent that escaped the strong smell of the sea water. This scent calmed her nerve and brought back even more memories, causing her to break into more bitter cries. He did not reciprocate the embrace, neither did he push her away. He was too disturbed by some random flashing images which he cannot properly decifer the faces of those captured within. He felt strange that such images are only triggered in her presence, and that he has never had such headaches for a long time.

"c-can you not hate me, Ryosuke?!" she cried.

"you won't hurt me right?"

"I will never hurt you. Please believe me..."

"Then don't say those hurtful things about me, my brother and Kitaura. I love them and if you hurt them, you will be my enemy too" he pulled away from her embrace slightly and looked at her sternly with a tint of anticipation. Mirai was heartbroken as she was even more sure that she is entirely left out from his heart. She was certain that she no longer occupy a spot in him. What else can she say in face of such requests...he didn't want to remember, and if she continued to bombard him with his past, she will become what he calls an enemy. However hurtful it is, she could only take it all in, endure the pain and give him a unwavering nod. "I promise" her lips were trembling when she said, and the last of her heartstrings tore.

"Hello, my name is Yamada Ryosuke!" he cheerfully reintroduced himself. Mirai wiped her tears away, took a deep breathe and did likewise. Perhaps, this symbolicaly marked a definite end to their love story and a fresh start to the lives.

"Hello, my name is Shida Mirai" but as soon as she said so, she noticed his expression changed as if he was in deep pain, pounding on the nape of his neck.

"w-what's wrong?" she crawled towards him who crouched near a tree.

"my head hurts..." those people....in my mind... I can't remember... I..., he mumbled  

She felt his pain when he shrieked in agony, but she do not know how else to help him. 

"do you have this headache frequently?"

he shake his head unbearably, so she circled her arms around his neck and pulled him into her comfort. "it'll be okay. just relax..."

Now it became clearer, he was almost certain that Mirai gave him a sense of familiarity as though they crossed path before. With tears shed from the sides of his eyes, he uttered "I know you right? I cannot remember... Why can't I remember anything..."

It only adds more to her agony cause now she became his source of pain...It was just like Yu said, she will only make him unhappy. Why couldn't you say this when I was determined to have you back.. why only now...

"don't think anymore... I don't know you, Ryosuke, so don't force yourself anymore..." he brushed those tears from the edge of his eyes and the sweat from his forehead...He looked at her with a soft frown and she could only see that he was still shakened in disbelief.

"let's go back. I'll bring you back to Yu and Kitaura....ahhh itaiii" she fell back on her legs the moment the pain from her wounds sent a sharp pain up her spine, but he caught her. All those memories flooded her thoughts, and they exchanged glances. She couldn't decifer the complex expression on his face except the deepening frown.

"I'll piggyback you back..." he offered, and so she wrapped herself wholeheartedly on his back, while forcing herself to lock up every single memory of him by the time they reached back where they started. Her tears streamed without his knowledge as she become engulfed by every bit of his warmth that she will never enjoy it anymore. He may have become Yamada Ryosuke, but she knew even at this instance, his body only reminded her so vividly of Tanaka Ainosuke...Every single part of his journey with her, every strength he exerted upon her, every fondle, every embrace, every kiss, it was all done with this body. This common memory will be meaningless if only one party remembers it, and if he is going to suffer from the shadows of the past, then she could only let go. To love him, is to let go of his missing piece..."Ainosuke...aieru..." she whispered softly by his ears for the last time.

****

"MIRAI!!!! RYOSUKE!!!" there was a mess of delightful screams rushed towards them as they reached the house.

"are you two okay?!" Yuto hurriedly help Mirai down from Ryosuke's back, while Yu tended to Ryosuke who he expect to be badly shakened but he instead was extremely calm and somewhat looking preoccupied with his thoughts.

Mirai ignored the concerns of Yuto and Yu and stared blankly at Ryosuke while he did likewise. it was as though there was only the 2 of them coexisting in a vacuum. 

"arigatou, Ryosuke..." Mirai said with teary eyes but she told herself to stop crying the time she say goodbye. She looked at him in his eyes and was waiting for his voice but it never came.

"I hope you'll stay happy forever with Yu... and Kitaura... I know you will..." she added while she bore the wrenching pain in her heart. Still he just looked blankly into her eyes.

"sayonara, Ryosuke..." she finally let go her last line and she has realised the utterance of this marked the end to their perilous, yet most memorable love. She expected no response and she felt it would be better that way, since she was becoming numb to the pain anyway. 

However, just when she took a few steps away with Yuto clutching her by her arms, she heard him call.

"I will see you again right?"he said. Without turning back, she could really imagine it being said by Ainosuke. Her hand tightened upon her chest and urged Yuto to lead her away. It was cruel, but at least it wouldn't hurt him as much, that was how she thought. What she never knew was her no response mattered to him. He didn't understand why but when she failed to answer him, he felt as though he was falling into a deep hollow well and crashed right at the bottom. the feeling was terrible and his vocabulary was too limited to describe. He just stood dumbfounded until he felt a warm pressure exerted upon his lips. The moment was short, but his heart felt extremely different from the previous experience. He didn't feel the same butterflies in his stomach this time, he didn't feel his heart flutter, he didn't feel the same breathlessness as before. every cell of his body seemed to react contrastingly different. His eyes was wide open, he was sure it was Mirai, sharing the same intimacy...but why did she sound different...

"R-Ryosuke, I saw other people do it. I h-hope you like it," the voice was unstable, but it was enough to wake him up from his delusions. it's not Mirai, it's Kitaura. 

"T-Thank you Kitaura. I am tired today. good night Kitaura, good night Niichan" he dashed back into the house and shut his room door behind him immediately. 

Behind the closed door, standing alone facing the four walls, he looked back into what happened today and he became more certain once again that there was something important he has forgotten and he was even more sure Mirai was part of it. He bite his lips and clenched his hands on his tightened chest as a feeling of unexplainable loss surged through his veins. His head hurt like never before with not just images but voices echoing through his mind repeatedly. every single one of those flashing imageries and sounds were like arrows piercing through his heart. it all felt familiar but he could see no link between them and he do not remember going through any of those, even though he was sure those were seen through his own lenses. He pounded aggressively on his head, then screamed with his mouth pressed against his pillow such that his cries will all be muffled. The agony lasted for hours and hours and by the time his tears dried up and his heart died from the pain, he was crouching in a corner of his bed with his legs tugged against his chest, hidden from the moonlight that shone in, like an autistic kid, with an exhausted and emotionless face gazed upon the only source of light from a glowing candle.

He can never be more sure that there's indeed a missing piece in his heart...

*****
"I thought a miracle would happen when you decided to kidnap him... I never expected you to surrender" Yuto said to Mirai whose dark circles were a clear indication of a rough night. He could see her forcing a smile upon her face and felt immensely sorry for her.

"you don't have to smile if you don't feel like it, Mirai. it's just me" Yuto held onto her shoulders and made her face him.

"he's happy the way he is. if I love him, I should let him go. if I force him to go back to his life as Ainosuke, then I'm being really cruel to him. you saw the genuine smile on his face, that was the most beautiful smile I've seen since a long time. I don't want to see him lose it. Yu is right, this is the way to watch after him. he has done so much to appease all of us during his time as Ainosuke, and this is what little we could at least return him. he was not made for the palace, his beautiful heart was created for this carefree environment, not confined to the four walls of the dog-eat-dog world. Yuto, lets just leave him alone from now..."

"Mirai, I believe you have given it much thought before you decide on this. so I'll second your decision," Yuto said with a soft, gentle tone.

"thank you, Yuto. it'll still hurt for a while, for me and for you guys too. but I'm sure time will heal our pain"

"yeah I think so too. but you should come back with me, at least let the rest of us take care of you if you do not want to return to your father... being alone can evoke many thoughts as well"

"I would want to travel around for now. I have always wanted to see the rest of the world when I was young, now I finally got the chance. maybe then I find a place just for me and I'll settle down. I'll be okay"

"Mirai... you'll be missed... really," Yuto pulled her in for an embrace. "in the past, when you are still bearing the title of a royalty, I wouldn't have dared to do this. but now, i really want to give you, the most wonderful woman I've known, a goodbye hug.

"you too, Yuto. I'll remember you as my best friend, and the rest of the guys as well. help me say good bye to the rest"

"I will..." Yuto brushed a fallen tear from his eyes and gave him her brightest smile.

"till next time we meet, Yuto" she smiled back then walked right in the other direction of the cross road. Yuto looked sadly at her disappearing view and finally, he could see her no more. He knows Mirai could never formally forget Ainosuke, and for that he felt remorseful even at this point cause there's absolutely nothing he could do to ease her sorrows.

*****
Concurrently, at the other side of the village, something totally unexpected occurred. Ryosuke seemed to be possessed after a sleepless night that he burst out from his room door and stared at Yu and Kitaura who were settling down for breakfast.

"Ryosuke?" Yu and Kitaura were both taken aback by Ryosuke's scary expression. He walked towards Kitaura and firmly cupped her shoulders. He looked with her with apologetic gaze and paused for a while before he was ready to say.

"Kitaura... I'm sorry..."

"huh?"

"I swear I'll not leave you alone, I'll take care of you, I'll be by your side...but.."

"but? Ryosuke, is something wrong? you are scaring me... is that lady hurting you again?"

"no... she's not hurting me... I'm hurting her instead. so I have to cure her. I'm sorry Kitaura, I cannot live without her..."

"Ryosuke?" Yu finally understood what his brother has gotten into. he sprung on his feet with a complex expression, cause he do not know if he should be glad or sad over the change of events.

"Niichan... I have remembered everything..." Ryosuke looked at him and tears of joy welled up in both their eyes. Yu was certain of his own emotions now, especially with Yuto's words echo in his mind, he was finally glad Ryosuke didn't follow his one-sided wishes.

"Ryo, you need to be fast if you wanna catch up to her. she's leaving..."

Ryosuke widened his eyes and tightened his jaw. He found strength from the firm stare of his brother, then gathered all his energy to make the last dash. However, her cries make his heart cringed... even though his relationship with Kitaura has finally been sorted out and has in fact never exceeded that of innocent child play and dependence, still he has undeniably been touched by her pure heart.

He turned back and saw her trip over a rock while chasing after him. He saw that sorrowful eyes looking right into his, and he could see the person before her is no longer her playmate. if he held her up, if he go to her now, it would do her no good cause he knows he cannot give her anymore of that pure love she knew. his missing piece has returned, there's just no place for another. 

"Gomenasai... Kitaura..."

He turned against her, clenched his fist, shut his heart, his eyes and his ears, and dashed against the strong breeze with tears blown off from the edge of his eyes like rain drops. All his mind could ever contain was his yearning for his forlorn love that he has unreasonably forgotten, that heartbroken heart of hers which tried so desperately to help him recall but he just harshly pushed her away. His heart hurt as he thought of how sad she could have been during this time. how could he of all people fear her, the girl he loved so dearly that he cannot even once breathe without her presence. He ran and ran, shouting her name, but all he heard in reply was the rustling of leaves, the wind pressure that cuts his skin and his own crying heart.

*****
"Mr horse, are you tired?" Mirai foolishly chatted with the horse after parting ways with Yuto. Trailing along the lake for a while calmed down her nerves and she finally found herself relaxing in the trickling of water ringing by her ears. She did what she remembered Ainosuke did, patting the hair of the horse and it immediately reacted positively to her. It pulled its face near to her and rubbed against her face.

It made her chuckle which she really needed. However she wondered if it's because she let down her guard that she began to hallucinating... she started hearing someone calling her name and that voice was too familiar to ignore. She looked around and her eyes caught a soft glow by a distance and she saw a shadow of a resembling figure. a mirage, she thought. Has her heart became so loud that she's starting to see things? no, it can't be him. but the voice is so loud and clear, she could make out every word. how is that possible if she's dreaming.

"how could you break your promise so easily?!! how could you give up so simply!"

Mirai went closer until a point where the sunlight shed on the man of her dreams. His skin glows and his mere presence was enough to mesmerize.

"R-Ryosuke? why are you here?"

"is it surprising I'm here? have you forgotten what you promised him?! you said you will never leave his sight again, you said you will be with him forever! you said that, didn't you?!!!"

"I... I don't understand what you're saying..." She was in utter confusion. She was in disbelief at his words. She didn't want to pin her hopes too high. However, the more he said, the more the impossible starts to sound possible.

"yamada Ryosuke may not remember, he may not know anything... he may not know you, but Tanaka Ainosuke does! He said so many times he cannot live without you, you told him that too! so how can you let go off his hands when he trusted you!"

With all the yelling, her mood became so agitated that she just blurted out her frustration.

"do you think I wanted to let go off his hands?! you think I'm having a good time! I can tell you my heart is almost reaped apart! but he's happy, so what else can I do than let him go! I don't have the courage to fight this alone!"

"Then you rather leave Ainosuke fighting this alone?! and what do you know about happiness! Ryosuke may look happy because he didn't know the existence of the wonderful Shida Mirai! But the world of Ainosuke without Shida Mirai is worst than hell! when he thought he lost her, his heart stopped pounding!"

Mirai was too shocked to speak, he was too emotional to continue. He was crying with streams rolling down his eyes, drenching his face with his tears. This depressed side of him reopened Mirai's water tap and the two erected almost a watershed. She walked closer and saw him digging through his pants. As he opened his clenched fist, something shiny was revealed. It was silver and it shimmered brightly into her eyes... She gently retrieved it from his hands and then examined it closely. She traced her fingers along the inner carvings which most distinctively reads "Ainosuke Mirai forever"

"it's my ring~..." she said with her gaze fixated on his tearful eyes.

"it's our ring, Mirai"

Smiles of joy crept up both their faces amid the endless cries. They looked at each other for a long time, caressing each other's face, registering every detail of their features, jogging every minute detail in their collective memories. When her fingers reached his lips and his reached hers, their breathing paused. With the final drop of tear, they both pulled each other closer until their longing lips touched. Their hearts pounded again, revived and beating faster than ever before. Their passion and lust were unleashed as though a century of perilous love finally attained its well-deserved rest. Their gestures, their heads, their lips, their every movement synchronized so beautifully that the kiss seemed like a artistic masterpiece, complementing the captivating scenery. His hands moved down her back and found a comfortable spot on her hips and brought her even closer until even their bodies have found back the intimate sensation they can formally claim as theirs. They serenade in each other's hugs and kisses, immersed in their own little universe, connected through their hearts and soul, forming an impenetrable wall that shields them from any threats. their love has transcended time, space, life and death, and has outdo even Adam and Eve's, Romeo and Juliet's, rewriting a new tremulous love story of the century. 

There was no longer any need for words to express the feelings at the current moment. The tranquility of the air, the gentle galloping of the horse were what little they needed as they let themselves nest in each other's radiance and vitality, breathing in the love, and enjoying the warmth from the radiating heat from beneath their skin which collided so softly. Bosoming from behind, Ainosuke secure her safely in his arms as he led the horse along the shallow lake. She leaned on her chest with her head resting nicely on the crook of his neck. She tilted her head upwards slightly so she could see his beautiful chin, his seductive jawline and his manly glare. She found herself enjoying his minty breathe and his masculine fragrance emitting strongly from his body. She reminisced as well as felt fortunate that it has all come back to her and she no longer needed to share any bit of it. Every grief she suffered, every blood and tear she shed was worthwhile cause she finally got her happily ever after. She felt the ring worn back on her finger and he saw it.

"Mirai, will you ever regret forsaking your life of royalty to live with a nobody like Ryosuke?" He said with his bend down slightly so he could see her eyes.

"Frankly, I'll be whoever you want me to be, Ainosuke or Ryosuke... as long as we are together, I'm happy with any" he added.

She cuddled closer in his warmth with her face buried deeper towards his neck, and gently brought her palms to his cheeks and caressed it lightly, leaving his heart fluttering.

"Follow your heart and I will follow yours. No regrets as long as you are with me. I'll unquestionably serve my one and only husband for this life, the next and many more lives ahead."

He smiled and kissed the top of her head before speaking again.

"I wish to watch over my dearest wife as Ryosuke ...there's just one more person I have immensely let down and I probably won't be able to forgive myself for my cowardly escape"

"Daichi?"

He gave a subtle nod. He saw the comforting smile of Mirai and he knew she understood what was in his mind.

"I'm sure he would love to have a casual meeting with Ryosuke"

"you think?"

"yes, especially when the Ryosuke now has gained back his sanity. I'll go with you and face him together."

"arigatou," he uttered, but Mirai could still a unresolved frown stretched across his brows. 

"you're thinking of Kitaura too, aren't you... you can't bear to leave her alone, right?"

He stopped the horse then wrapped his arms around Mirai's neck, burying his head on her neck.

"Mirai... she's different from us. I was lucky my condition was not permanent but hers was inborn. there's no hope for her to recover. her heart is pure like a child, with no greed and evil. I've gone to her when i was lost and she supported me, then when i need her not, i shoved her away. i have hurt such a kindhearted child. it's my guilt I could not live by."

"I would love to take her in but you know it'll only hurt her more with your presence. She has fallen for you and her love is more innocence and naive than any of us. She won't understand the complexities of the human heart and she would most certainly not know what it means to love. She surely thought sharing that bond with you is love, but what she doesn't know is the physical connection, the biological reaction and mating process of a male and female. are you prepared to explain to her, then try to officiate her as your wife?"

"I have no love for her, or at least the me now has no affection for her. it's impossible for her to stay with me as I have no space to accommodate her feelings anymore. What has happened to Riko is a mistake, Kitaura cannot be a repeat of history. but I have promised to look after her, I owe her. Mirai, I really don't know how better I could do this"

"do you trust me?" Mirai asked abruptly while brushing his bangs from his face, revealing the frown even more clearly.

"of course I do. there's no one else I rather trust than you."

"Then I think I know where she can be well taken cared for, physically and emotionally. she'll grow up with a group of dependable and loyal friends who I know will risk their lives for the people mattered most to them. She'll learn about life and her innocent smile will light up even the darkest of space and time, reminding anyone who loses the direction with guiding light "

"I think I know what you mean...thank you." 

they exchanged a smile and resume their aimless, slow ride on the horse through the wide meadows. they were determined to spend the quiet time alone, just the two of them, until the new day dawns on them, marking the start of a new beginning. 
******