Defining change

The Lost Prince
The sun shines brightly through the windows and onto the boy who appears undisturbed by his surroundings. Yabu wondered why his highness hasn't awaken yet since he's almost always an early bird so he asked Chinen to check on him. Mirai was too comfortable beside Ainosuke that she has lost track of time, totally unaware that Chinen is about to enter the room. the door knob clicked and that instant, Mirai sat up stunned and afraid that she'll be discovered. Her heart is pounding so fast as she sourced for an exit. just then, a pair of hands grabbed her from behind and dragged her through the window. 
 
was cupped and she was literally led to some miles away from the terrace. and when she finally caught her breathe, she realised the person who 'rescued' her was Yu.
 
"what are you thinking?! you are almost busted by Chinen and the rest! I told you to leave before sunrise." Yu was blowing his head off hers, and she could only stare at the ground, self-reflecting upon her carelessness.
 
"I'm sorry. I totally fell asleep."  
 
She heard a loud sigh from Yu, as if he gave up on her nonsense.
 
Everytime she looked at Yu, she thought of their timely encounter. it all started after Kento sent her to a faraway land. Mirai was living in hell, everyday she feared that someone will recognize her. she was all alone. initially Kento would visit her every week, but after a while, the villagers started to question her past and she realised she couldn't stay much longer. She moved from village to village and she broke off all contacts with Kento, leaving her alone to fend for herself. Mirai has been a royalty since birth, and she never once expected herself to lead a life so shabby. the more lonely and afraid she felt, the more difficult she finds to suppress her longing for Ainosuke. it was those days where she washed her face with tears. 
 
A lone lady in a village invited trouble of course, and it didnt take long for the street gangs to take notice of her as a potential target. Waiting for the perfect chance to strike, they tailed her to a dark alley and then attempted to ually provoke her. she thought that she would be better off dead at that time, but a few familiar musketeers came and rescued her and prevented the misfortune. it was Yu's bandmates, and she immediately recognized Hyun. That was the beginning of how she met Yu and he took her in (after much convincing).
 
"Look, I really can't be bothered about politics, and that's the reason why I didn't want to stay in the palace. so I don't care who you are. All I know is you really gave up too much for my family, and I'm not gonna see you shatter. let me do something for my younger brother - to at least take care of you until you grow independent" these words were so vividly imprinted on her mind that she couldn't forget. 
 
"remember what you told me the day you decided to stay... it was you who chose this path..." Yu reminded her of the fateful day.
 
"I haven't forgotten and I won't." it's true... the promise she made was like a chant that she forced upon herself to repeat day after day, just so that when she eventually sees Ainosuke again, her heart will not waver.
 
"I'll stay, Yu. this is one way I could watch over him, by staying close by, by being part of his story, but without him knowing."
 
"you have to be emotionally prepared that one day, you might bump into him... that's the only fear I have, cause I wouldn't be surprise if he drop by my place"
 
"then I'll have to train myself for such a day that I do not feel a thing for him even if he stands before me. Yu, I have made a personal promise to myself that I will not let him see me, regardless how hard it's gonna be. our relationship has ended, Queen Mirai, his wife is executed and gone from this world. brooding over the past, will only make it difficult for us to move on."
 
"if that's what you wished, then let me help you. that'll be my favour in return for protecting him and Riko."
 
Yu gave her an embrace, which emitted a subtle warmth that surprisingly triggered off her memory of Ainosuke. Though she must admit that after knowing Yu for 2 years, she realised he is nothing like Ainosuke. His character is strong and decisive. his level of charisma was entirely different from Ainosuke, with his being more spiteful and insulting at times, while Ainosuke was more sensitive to others and delicate. what was admirable is that Yu was not easily swayed by others, and he gives off a very big-brother vibe, and he is definitely a mood-maker, lightening the atmosphere wherever he goes. life around Yu was spent alot on bickering but then, he made everyday much easier to endure, and that her life is well tended to that she eventually grown used to the commoner life. in fact, she thought she's beginning to love this carefree life. not until Ainosuke turned up as expected, and she found that she has never once forgotten about him. 
 
Yu noticed tears welling in her eyes, and got a little cranky about it cause he never liked to see girls cry.
 
"Mirai, I totally understand how you're feeling, and I'm not forcing you or blaming you that you were not able to zen yourself in front of him. cause even I feel emotional around him. but i just want you to know that you chose this route, and if ever you decided to change, I'll support you too."
 
"I'm fine, Yu. I won't change my decision. a promise is a promise. I can't undo a past either."
 
"alright then. I think you should hide outside first until night time, go Hyun's house or something, I'll tell you when it's time to sneak back in. I better go back now in case they look for me."
 
She enveloped her hands around his arm and without looking into her eyes, Yu knew exactly that she has a request.
 
"one more night, please..."
 
"Mirai, it's too risky. I'm afraid he'll find out I spiked his drink. though he still sees me as his brother, he's a King and feeding him with sleeping pills isn't quite moral. 
 
"please.. I'll be careful this time. it's the last night before he leaves"
 
Yu sighed once again and knew he asked for it... he nodded reluctantly and stomped back to the terrace.
 
****
in the meantime, Back in the terrace, Ainosuke was finally awaken from his sleep by Chinen who has apparently shook his shoulders several times.
 
"wow, Ainosuke, I never thought you're such a deep sleeper, I called you at least for the past 10minutes."
 
"you did? I couldn't even hear a thing" Ainosuke sat up, feeling a slight migrain and body ache like as though something was pressing on his shoulder the whole night.
 
Seeing their King massaging his shoulder, Chinen grew more concern about his body condition.
 
"it's okay Chii. I think I just slept in the wrong posture yesterday..."
 
Reading between the lines as always, Chinen thought the King is still angry towards him. "Ainosuke, you are still angry with me, aren't you?" 
 
still struggling with the stiff neck, he turned to face the gloomy Chinen. "silly, why do you say that. you should be angry with me instead... "
 
"no, I'll never be angry at you... I thought you still hated me cause you rather talk to Umika and not me...I~" Ainosuke could hear the jealousy in his tone and chuckled at the rare childishness that Chinen displayed. Chinen looked up at the giggling King and wondered what's so funny.
 
"don't worry Chii, I'm not making a choice between you and her. it's just that we have shared some secrets..."
 
"secrets? what secrets?" Chinen turned anxious cause there was barely any secrets that Ainosuke shared with him, and was angry at the same time that he shared with his sworn enemy.
 
"it's for you to find out, Chii. just be a little more observant. it isn't difficult to figure out"
 
confusion still lingers and Ainosuke has to send Chinen out of the room because his non-stop guessing about the secret is irritating him. The reason for the irritation was also because there was something else that bothered his mind. he looked around his surroundings and regardless of how hard he tried to Remember, he couldn't recall how he ended on the bed. the last he remembered was munching on the delicious supper and having a heart-to-heart talk with Yu. his headache didnt subside but he endured it and went on to wash up. As he stepped out of his room, he saw Yabu, Hikaru and Chinen chatting while Umika was tending to their horses. there was no sign of Yu, so he headed straight for the kitchen. 
 
his accumulated skills of observation led him to notice something amiss. he looked intensely at a drinking cup that had feminine patterns. 
 
hmm... my brother has a girlfriend already? but I thought he said he'll concentrate on his music~ 
 
he went on to search the cupboards aimlessly in search for more clues to verify his prediction, but it only led to more curiosity... the last cupboard he opened revealed a container which is familiar, something he used before....
 
"Ainosuke, y-you're here..." Ainosuke saw Yu entering in a flustered mode and realised that something is really amiss when Yu quickly kept the questionable products. if it wasn't Yu's overreaction, he wouldn't have second guessed his brother. 
 
"w-what are you looking for? I'll get it for you" he quickly rushed forward and shut the cupboard, Ainosuke took a few steps back and looked sternly into the stuttering Yu as he tried to read his mind.
 
"I am just looking if you have any pills for migrain." Ainosuke's tone revealed calmness, but also evoked an underlying creepiness that raised the anxiety level in Yu. Yu tried hard to suppress his emotions as he felt his brother skillfully maneuvering around his thoughts. 
 
"I'll g-get it for you... you can wait for me outside. the kitchen is too messy" Yu's answers are an indication that he's really indeed hiding something. Just when he Ainosuke turned his back and moved towards the exit, he gave a quick glance of the kitchen and an immediate thought surface in his mind.
 
the kitchen is very neat and organized. Yu, you're lying.
 
his fist clenched and his eyes turned fiery when he thought of the possibility that he's deceived once again. the sequence of events since yesterday night which exists a experiential gap, and the familiar tablet bottle are signs of yet another conspiracy. every conspiracy that has occurred around him, even if they are all under the guise of protecting him, has hurt him beyond words and that he has grown to hate every one of these lies and turned more sensitive to all the subtle clues.
 
"Ainosuke~ Keito is here" with Yabu's voice, Ainosuke slowly unwound his nerves and released his fist, and extinguishing the flames in his eyes. He shoved away his concerns and went to his room to meet his general.
 
"Your highness!" Keito's excitement took him by surprise and he couldn't help but chuckled at his overflowing happiness.
 
"what's with that upbeat tone, Keito?" he found himself smiling at Keito's expression.
 
"just happy. thank goodness you didn't give up on Chinen."
 
Ainosuke sat beside Keito and gave him a consoling smile.
 
"so.. the updates?"
 
"we've analysed the information that Chinen stole from Akunami. you were right, it was the current military strength and the numbers here reflected much more than we gathered on face-level."
 
"are we falling short compared to them."
 
"Akunami has 20,000 fleet. fortunately, we are just 2,000 behind, with the current total of 18,512... but I must say that from what Ryutaro reported, Akunami's army was not well-trained. there's a sudden surge of their size by 50% since last year and it's possibly from mass recruitment of the country's men who has no skills whatsoever. in that sense, our army definitely stand a good chance. it's the quality that mattered."
 
"but I would say that complacency is unnecessary here. this sudden surge also meant that they are indeed waiting to launch attacks on us."
 
Embarrassed by his lack of foresight, Keito lowered his head and avoided his eyes "yes, your highness"
 
"relax, Keito." Ainosuke pat his back as he realised his general's change of emotions, and Keito gave a relieving smile.
 
"one thing for sure is that Akunami will not strike that soon unless they're sure that they are having the upper hand. for now, I want more archers, so get Daiki to recruit and train more men. deploy more manpower at our borders."
 
"yes your highness."
 
"and I want you to get Yuto to travel to Shiroku and get a guarantee from the King that he'll come to our aid should Akunami really strike."
 
"but technically, we don't need Shiroku's help"
 
"if I need not care about the livelihood of the innocent citizens then I could allow the war to drag, but I want any battles to be as short and swift so that I can reduce the number of causalities."
 
Again, Keito is ashamed of his dense mentality that he don't know how to face the younger King, and his awkward gestures tickled Ainosuke once more.
 
"Keito, you're really funny. don't worry about it, we can both work together and grow smarter right," Ainosuke leaned closer and spoke through Keito's arms which covered his face. Realising that his king is trying to cheer him up, he smiled brightly in response to Ainosuke's sweetness. 
 
"do you have the additional things I want you to check?"
 
"ah... yes, about Chinen and Kawashima family feud... I gathered as much as I could."
 
"okay, report as much as you have. sorry for rushing you Keito. it's unreasonable of me to get you to source through generations of data in a night"
 
"don't worry, your highness. that's what I'm good at." Ainosuke giggled at Keito's senseless confidence.
 
"their feud all started with the last war against the feudal lords. Then, the Chinen and Kawashimas are best friends, but the war led to some misunderstandings and both sides thought they were betrayed by each other. they were left in the lurge and each side suffered a huge loss of lives, though they still managed to win the battles. following that, they swore as enemies forever. the rulers have acknowledged and avoided putting these two families together... and eventually it become so ingrained that no one talked explicitly about the feud anymore. but, Chinen's father sudden death during Minoru's reign raised the heat between the 2 families once more."
 
"I also know that no one investigated this case."
 
"yes, no one did. Minoru covered it all up. because the late General Kawashima bribed Minoru in order to protect the prime suspect Hiro Kawashima who is his only son."
 
Ainosuke was fuming with anger at this point in the conversation. he felt sorry for Chinen who hadn't told him about this grievances, and at the same time he felt he didn't know what to do with Umika who will become the innocent one in the picture. he tightened his jaw and clenched his fist as his heart twisted into a ball of mess.
 
"your highness, this is a report of whatever I found thus far. there's not much into the death of Chinen's father since Minoru didn't document it down."
 
"thank you, Keito." he took the stack of report from Keito and breathed heavily as he felt yet another load on his shoulder. 
 
"pardon me for asking, but what will you do about this? are you really going to try resolving this?"
 
"There's justice to be meted out, if Chinen's father is really murdered. how am I going to approach it, is something I haven't yet decided."
 
Suddenly, Ainosuke slammed the table, causing Keito to suffer a little shock. He looked at Ainosuke in confusion, wondering why the abrupt gesture.
 
"how long are the 2 of you going to eavesdrop?!" Keito has to salute Ainosuke's observation skills, cause even though his trained from young, he couldn't detect that they weren't alone. Neither did the 2 eavesdroppers knew that someone else aside from them were listening in.
 
Umika and Chinen walked out from 2 cupboards on opposite sides and were shocked to see each other.
 
"You?!" they were almost in sync when they exclaimed. Raging in fire, Ainosuke stood up and gave them a piece of their mind.
 
"Chinen, you clearly forgotten your rules! and Umika, there's no excuse for you to not know something as basic as manners right?!" it was more than just remorse running through Umika, she was shaken by the stern expression her King wore on his face as opposed to the playful, temper-less King past few days. She was reminded of his position and realised she has been too careless in her formalities. it wasn't easy for Chinen as well, who was taken aback by Ainosuke's reprimand and ashamed of his own act. before he restored the King's faith in him, he once again angered him over his own stupidity.
 
"for 2 enemies, you guys think really similar." he uttered sarcastically, sending chills down their spine.
 
"I'm sorry!" again they uttered in synchronicity. 
 
"Get out now! and stay out of my sight unless i summon you!" growing irritated, he ordered the 2 of them away, while he entrusted Keito a last instruction.
 
"Keito, stay for the night. I may have some tasks for you, but I'll let you know later." he gave Keito an intimidating stare, implicitly communicating the severity of what follows after.
 
*****
"Chinen~ wait..." Umika ran after and held his arms. as wrong as the move is, she couldn't care more, she just wanted to say her piece.
 
"don't touch me!" Chinen vigorously shook his hand away and took several steps back. The deadly stare from his eyes penetrated into her heart and send chills but she held on to her guts and gathered her speech abilities.
 
"Whatever that happened to your father, I'm sorry. but please, I'm sure my brother didnt do it."
 
"if it's not him, who else! you and I both knew that your brother was the only one at the scene."
 
"it must be a misunderstanding. give me sometime and I'll prove to you."
 
"there's no need to prove to me! prove to yourself for all I care. it's a fact that your hotheaded brother killed my father, and no amount of argument can prove otherwise!"
 
"Chinen~ please~" tears rolled down her eyes uncontrollably. he must admit that his heart felt heavy when he saw her cries, or rather, he has never made any girl cry before. what he couldn't explain is his inner self pitying her~he tried to convince himself her place in his heart, an enemy, and nothing more. the days he spent with her, had such great impacts on him that ever since then, he couldn't live up to what his family has instructed. He couldn't stay in the same space as her for any extra second, he turned his back against her heartlessly and left the corridor. at the corner of his eyes, he could see her still frozen at the same spot.
 
It didnt take long for Yabu and Hikaru to notice the down-spirited Chinen and Umika, making themselves look extremely busy. Chinen has been practicing his swords as part of his physiotherapy after his injuries, while Umika went to the horses, cleaning them conscientiously but was obviously seeking the animals as companions or soulmates. 
 
"is she talking to the horses?" Hikaru asked.
 
"I'll go speak to her... have you spoken to Keito?"
 
"ah briefly. he brought news about the army and it seemed that everything is not at our disadvantaged. he also tasked to report to Ainosuke about the Chinen-Kawashima feud, and thats when the 2 were caught redhanded for eavesdropping. According to Keito, Ainosuke was fuming mad at their behaviour."
 
"those 2 are really too much" Yabu shook his head as signs of disapproval and disappointment.
 
"apparently, Ainosuke has given Keito more instructions, but he's being secretive about it." Hikaru added.
 
"secretive?"
 
"he just told me that he can't divulge anything yet. all he said is Ainosuke is getting suspicious of something"
 
"what is there to be suspicious about? that's weird. and I have an uneasy feeling about that..." Yabu led himself away from his comrade, with a more confused mind as he tried to figure out yet another of those mind-boggling thoughts that infiltrated the young King's brain. but it appears that someone else was even more engrossed with her activity that she never sensed someone approaching.
 
"uwaaa" Umika was in a state of shock when Yabu came so close that she pressed her back on the horse's body. Blood rushed to his face at the close proximity, and lately she has been experiencing this so often that she is hating herself for being so vain.
 
"I'm sorry Yabu... if I'm blocking your way..." she avoided his eyes and carefully shifted herself away from his body leaning towards her, without any skin contact.
 
"why do you keep avoiding us?"
 
the question startled her, and she was unsure of its coverage.
 
"huh?"
 
"i see you need some memory-jogging. since young...you've been distancing yourself from the first class, even though at that time you were one yourself."
 
"because... I don't belong here..."
 
Yabu approached closer, and her foot naturally took steps back. She wanted to escape from the social situation but there's no backing out. before she knew it, Yabu has cordoned off her escape routes with his body.
 
"why? because you are a Kawashima? because of Chinen? or because you were a girl?"
 
"...all of them..."
 
"Umika Kawashima, listen, you are a female warrior... many girls can't even do that, so instead of feeling ashamed and outcast yourself, you should take pride. I'm almost sure that your highness admires your bravery too."
 
somehow she knew there's some accuracy to Yabu's prediction. she recalled of the conversations she shared with the King, back in Akunami. then, she could also sense that he was inspired... She has always thought that others saw her as a joke because of her weird ambition, but only now did she find that at least Yabu and the gang she avoided didnt think so. she was genuinely glad, but revealing her happiness would be too strange. she found herself simply stunned for words.
 
"and as for the other 2 cases... I just want you to know that Chinen is not someone who prejudge another or hate people. you just need to give him some time. I'm sure he's equally thankful to you, but he just doesn't know how to express it."
 
"really?" her eyes brightened up and Yabu knew that her mood is somewhat lightened. He nodded as he was confident of his understanding Chinen's character.
 
"and as for Ainosuke... I have served him for years, and I'm very positive that he will grant your brother a fair trial if he needs to reopen the case. he's nothing like the reckless Minoru, he's compassionate and justified."
 
Umika found herself agreeing almost instantly cause this few days' interaction showed her exactly that side of the King. Ainosuke also showed maturity beyond his age, which Umika applauds with both hands.
 
"You know how important Chinen is to your highness, in fact he sees all his generals that way. so he could have sided him and treat you harshly, but needless for me to say, he has been giving you a warm reception, so i can assure you he won't make things hard for you.."
 
all these consoling words were much more effective than her one-sided heart-pouring session with the horse. She gave a smile and thank Yabu for his wise words of advice. there was no doubt why Yabu has always received much attention from girls, and after her first direct encounter , she was even more sure. he was considerate, helpful and sensitive to others. technically, not just for Yabu, but for every other general and... under the leadership of such a loving King, it'll only strengthen the phenomenon. 
 
******
 
his room was once again empty and peaceful. silence was all he needed as his mind started to probed more into the events bothering him. those random questions that were shelved aside because of Keito's arrival, about Yu's flustered acts, about his memory-loss, even simple lines Chinen spoke in the morning, were not making sense to him. he leaned his elbow on the table and buried his face in his palms as he thought deeply and tried to piece the isolated mysteries together, hoping to find a possible clue.
 
surely, Yu is hiding something, he thought. but searching answers seemed to be like looking for a needle in a haystack as he didnt know where to begin. 
 
he saw a moment of anxiety... which is so unlike Yu who's always calm.... and when was that moment?... 
 
when i opened the cupboard with the bottle?!
 
where have I seen that before? it looks so familiar!
 
giving himself a break from the clueless and aimless struggle, he conveniently filled an empty cup on his table with water and sipped onto it.
 
he froze in midair as he was finally reminded of where he has seen this bottle... he tightened his fist and slammed the cup onto the wooden table, and water from within spilled out. the stern look that accompanied his act was so horrifying that it was fortunate no one was there to witness it. he pieced together the bits of the mystery and only time can tell the remaining, including what his brother is hiding, and why.  
 
******
The sky turned grey, and the thunderstorm hits. within the terrace, another thunderstorm is waiting. Ainosuke restricted access to any others to his room, including his generals. He sat against the shadows, like a dark apparition as he patiently waited for Yu. 
 
"Ryo~ why don't you on the lights" Yu was surprised to see him sitting quietly in total darkness.
 
"ah, it's amusing how the darkness allows me to see clearer" Yu didn't understand what his brother is driving at, all he knows was that the tension in the air is hard to swallow. he could sense something is wrong, but he couldn't think more as Ainosuke's questions continue to probe the deepest of his core albeit it sounded superficial.
 
"I see you brought food for me. it smells just as delicious as before" Ainosuke leaned forward and took a peek at the food, but Yu thought he looks disinterested. he closely observed Ainosuke playing with the food...
 
"Niichan... your food is so amazingly delicious that it cured my insomnia. perhaps, it's really an antidote." Yu swallowed a big gulp of saliva, as he tried to suppress his tension. his statements are so intimidating that it's so different from the conversation yesterday. moreover, he was afraid that his secret is already known.
 
" why are you so quiet today, Niichan? is there something troubling you?"
 
"ah~ no no." Ainosuke noticed the his fingers fidgeting.
 
"then there's something troubling me...Niichan, you said you'll be here for me right." Yu nodded subtly and forced a smile unto his face
 
"I've been wondering... for all these years since the day I was placed on the struggle to restore Aoihoshi's glory, I've been rather obedient, haven't I? when told to become a figurehead to rebel against Minoru, I did; when told to become king and forsake my former identity, I did; when told to marry Mirai, I did; when told to marry Riko, I did; when told to bear an heir with Riko, I did; when told to sentence my queen to death; I did. I wondered if anyone thought about what I wanted. it's like I'm so close to losing myself in my own story. it's funny isn't it?"
 
"Ryosuke~" Yu didn't know what to say, cause even at this point, he's withdrawing Ainosuke's right to decide his own faith, depriving his right to know what's around him. and deceiving him.
 
"but don't worry Niichan. the person you see now is going to change soon. I'll take back my life, I'll make my life mine!" Yu shivered slightly but made careful attempts not to reveal his fear. he sensed Ainosuke's determination, and wondered if it's a good or bad thing. 
 
As he watched Ainosuke picking up the sedated drink and sipping it, he knew he could escape from the anxiety soon.
 
it was complete silence after as Ainosuke solemnly consumed the rest of the food. no words was spoken, as though he has said everything he had to, and finally after many minutes, he laid his head on the table.
 
Yu waited a bit more until he's sure Ainosuke is completely under the effect of the sleeping pills that he approached him cautiously.
 
"Ryo~" he tapped him on the shoulder but there was no response. and he's finally assured that he's deep in his sleep. He carried him onto the bed just like previously. he silently retreated from the room and entered his own. Standing in between the interior and the exterior, he received the girl who walked nervously towards him.
 
"I don't need to emphasize any more that you have to be extra cautious" Yu reminded Mirai as she past him.
 
"before dawn, I promise" Mirai gave him a reaffirmation, and knowing Mirai for 2 years, he could be sure that she'll hold true to it.
 
She tried to hide her anticipation and excitement enjoying in her husband's embrace for the second night, at the same time there's a complicated feeling of emptiness that is strengthening by the hour. the story of the clock strikes 12 and the glamour of Cinderella and her happiness will be withdrawn, couldn't relate any better to her current situation. she's fighting against time, satisfying every moment with Ainosuke before he disappears from her reach again.
 
She slid open the door and maneuvered her way through the dark room towards the bed. She sat on the tip of the bed and reached out her hands in hopes of immersing in his warm chest. her level anticipation raised significantly after the satisfaction she reaped yesterday, but only to fall to the bottom-pit when her hand found nothing. the bed was empty but she couldn't be entirely sure of her fearful predictions and until her eyes finally adjusted to the darkness and she gained a better view of her surroundings.
 
Adrenaline rushed and her heart pumped to the maximum when she verified there was not a single soul on the bed.
 
"where is he?" she asked herself that one question that frightens her terribly.
 
before she could turn around and move towards the exit, she felt the tip of a sword right by her neck. the blades reflected the only light coming from the moon and it revealed the fiery eyes that was enough to creep her out.
 
"looking for someone?" the firm voice echoed and penetrated into her unsettled heart. she found herself losing her voice in the face of death, as the sword positioned right at . with a light push, the weapon could slit and leave her to bleed, so she dared not move or speak.
 
"turn and look closely at who I am" the voice uttered intimidatingly once more. Still, she froze to the spot, with sweat and tears rolling down.
 
"I SAID LOOK AT ME!!!" the sudden rise in volume shocked her and she quickly obeyed, only to feel her limbs weakening upon seeing her perpetrator.
 
"A-Ainosuke~"
 
Hearing the commotion, Chinen, Yabu, Hikaru and Umika burst into the room only to see the unexpected scene.
 
"M-Mirai~ why are you here?" Chinen asked.
 
"Your question should have been how long has she been here..." Ainosuke corrected Chinen with his eyes still sternly staring right into her eyes.
 
"Ryo~ lets talk over this peacefully. no need for weapons, right?" At last, Yu entered the crowded room and was stunned. for once, he didn't know how to react, and for the first time, he felt really stupid not to have gotten the hints from the conversation earlier.
 
"why should I listen? Yu, I think what I've said earlier hasn't quite sinked into your mind. that's a surprise cause I always thought of you as intelligent. but since I've clearly misjudged you, then I should just restate my point again in layman terms. Listen carefully... and I'm directing to you as well, Shida Mirai!" he continued to point the sword to . the pointy edge has rubbed slightly onto her skin, breaking the surface slightly, leading to smudges of blood. Nonetheless, no one dared to make another move as it seemed the King was determined on his way.
 
"I am not the Ainosuke who listens to and abides by whatever you guys have in mind for me! from now, I make my own decision, and anyone who choose to go against it, will be executed!" Ainosuke gazed at everyone in the room, and Yabu and the rest knew the statement was meant for them as well. They knew this was his breaking point, and that this has become a warning to all that from now he will recover his lost authority which has been neglected and abused; any defiance meant death.
 
the atmosphere was so tense that everyone waited for everyone to speak, but no one dared as they couldn't foresee how the situation is unravelling.
 
"Yabu, Hikaru... what should I do to people who drugged the King? not once but twice~"
 
The two generals knew the politically right answers which relates to assassination. but answering this way only meant execution for the 2...
 
"b-but they are your ..." Hikaru finally let out his concerns.
 
"my kins? really?..."
 
Ainosuke's eyes shifted to Chinen, and raised his voice once again "Doing things behind my back! deceiving me, and even drugging me IS NOTHING a KIN SHOULD DO!  EACH OF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN MY POSITION!"
 
no one has seen their King so fumed, not even Keito who stood outside the room, waiting for his cue. even though separated by the wooden door, Keito could sense the tension reaching its tipping point.
 
"why the silence now? ANSWER ME, Mirai?" He returned his gaze to Mirai who is on the brink of breaking down.
 
"Ainosuke, I... I just..."
 
"DON'T TRY TO GIVE ME ANSWERS LIKE IT'S FOR YOUR GOOD, CAUSE THIS EXCUSE IS NOTHING BUT BULL! In the name of getting me a better future, you guys have no idea how it for me! none of you has considered what I want. no one asked what my opinions are, right from the start!.... "
 
silence. only cricket and owls tooting could be heard between pauses.
 
"do you guys know what I want to do now?!...I'll tell you what I want to do! Keito!" receiving the cues, Keito entered and awaited his instructions. but he soon realised the instructions will put him in a difficult position. 
 
"Arrest Shida Mirai! bind her arms and legs and make sure she cannot make any attempts to escape! lucky for you Mirai, your identity is rather sensitive so the regular prison wouldn't do. so Keito, throw her in the palace's underground bunker!" 
 
"b-but she's Mirai?! the underground bunker will be too harsh for a girl like her, you know the guards over there are trained to punish political convicts and corrupted officials" Yabu and the rest daringly protested, only to be turned down right away.
 
"so? she's not someone I know! She's not to be mistaken as the late-Queen cause all I know is she died 2 years ago after she tried to kill me. this commoner, on the other hand, has the guts to spike my drinks with sleeping pills!... and exactly why I decided on the underground bunker is simple, I cannot trust any of you! Surely sympathy will get to some of you and releasing her without my knowledge would not be a distant future~" Yabu was amazed at how Ainosuke considered every scenario, including this, which he knew Ainosuke is most likely spot-on. Yabu didn't know how to continue rebutting cause everything his King said is true.
 
Ainosuke saw the tears running down her cheeks, but he was determined not to waver or show compassion.
 
"it's not her, it's me who spiked your drink." Yu stepped forward, hoping to release her from the punishment
 
"no... Yu, it's me... I'm the one.." Mirai finally spoke up to save Yu from the trouble caused by her.
 
"ah, of course, Yu... Ainosuke definitely wants you dead, but Ryosuke wouldn't want his dear brother dead, would he... Then again, Ryosuke is deeply disappointed with his brother who he thinks knows him best.. sadly he is absolutely wrong. from this point, don't expect to see or hear from Ryosuke, cause you just terminated his last avenue to be himself" Yu's heart breaks so bad when Ainosuke referenced Ryosuke as a third person. the loss and guilt towards his brother is worst than any form of punishment.
 
"Don't say I'm being too much of a dictator... I'm giving you a choice on this, Chinen. To reopen your father's case, or to let it go..." Ainosuke's gaze fixed on Chinen, while the latter slightly glanced at Umika's helpless expression which seemed like it is pleading for him to pick the second choice. 
 
"I want to seek justice. my father died too tragically." still Chinen couldn't overcome the expectations his family has on him that he could one day see the Kawashimas bearing responsibility for the crime they commit. the disappointment on Umika's face was hard to ignore as the thought of her risking her life to save him, as well as the sudden confession of love kept surfacing at the top of his mind. 
 
"then it shall be. Umika, you'll have to come along, as safe custody, or to put it crudely, a hostage. your brother will not leave you in the lurge, will he~" he finally looked at Umika who was too traumatized by the new instructions. her eyes met the King's and she felt that the aura around him was dark. not only her, everyone knew their King was trying to appear strong but deep down, he's hurting. one cannot change so drastically, a king so delicate would never do something so unforgiving,  so they knew their loving King is still here.
 
"Hikaru, summon all relevant subjects from the case to the palace. No one exception. No excuses. Anyone who fail to turn up by tomorrow before court will be punished severely!"
 
Yu watched as the group parted on a sad note, looking at the view of his little brother from the back, he knew he just gave Ainosuke another deadly stab. The young one looked so lonely, and the depressing words he shared on the first night started to haunt the older one. His eyes turn red as he looked at the girl on Keito's horse, cuffed on her wrists and ankles like a prisoner awaiting her execution. A thought ran through his mind and he didn't know if it's worth celebrating. At least she is back with him now. Yu looked into the sky and called for both their guardian angels to watch over their broken hearts and hope the closer proximity can mend the damage incurred.
 
*****
I apologise for the angst...it has been very depressing for quite some time. But give it more time, after the storm, sweetness will follow. You can think positively like Yu, seeing the closing of the spatial gap between Mirai and Ainosuke as a chance for more interactions.