Conflicts of the heart

The Lost Prince

Mirai POV

The sun casts a beautiful glow behind his back, and that moment he turn around with his glorious smile, my heart felt a surge of warmth, followed by a sharp ache. My hand intuitively clenched where my heart beats irregularly. I found myself trying to catch my breathe, not because I was physically strained, but because his mere presence has simply taken all my breathe away. The feeling of him being close to me, yet untouchable again was just pure cruelty. I could only stand by at a distance, hidden from his sight, and watch him like I never existed. Seeing him behaving carefreely with his 'girlfriend', playing, laughing unreservedly, made me green with jealousy. I would have seized a sword and pierced through , retrieving my love back, if that was what the heartless years of royalty life has taught me. "Survival of the fittest. There is no compassion in this world" would be what my father would have told me. If it wasn't because I have met Ainosuke, I wouldn't realise that compassion exists even within a place as cold as the palace. Every gentleness Ainosuke has showered on me, every bit of love and care he provided me, even the journey from mere partners in love to real lovers, were so vividly imprinted in my mind and heart that I became resentful. How could he be so happily smiling, leaving me alone with my heart tearing and bleeding. How could he be so oblivious to my feelings. The Ainosuke I know would rather undertake all the pain and not let his loved one shed a tear for him. Somewhere in this body, I know his heart is still beating. If people want to hate on me for being self-centered, for taking away the happiness he is enjoying now, be it. I accept this judgement cause I realise unless I die, I would never be able to give him my blessings or even to quit living in his shadows. You'll understand my difficulties right, Ainosuke? Forgive me that I have to take away this happiness from you, such a happiness is only your fallacy and it is not your life. Your life should at least have me in it. I sound very obnoxiously selfish, but remaining your current state is nothing but selfish as well. All your friends, I'm saying Chinen, Yuto, Daiki, Hikaru, Yabu, Yuya, Ryutaro, Shintaro, Umika, even Keito are also hurt because of you. Hiding behind your condition is a cowardly behaviour that I know for sure isn't what you want.

"Be careful, and come back before 5pm alright. I'll have dinner for you two when you're back!" I heard Yu reminding Ryosuke and Kitaura whose fingers crossed with each other, swinging from up and down happily. I hid behind the tree trunk and watched while holding on to my tears.

"Hai, niichan!" the two responded in unison like a pair of children on an school trip answering the commands of their teacher.

"Yu nii, the scary woman will not come back for Ryosuke, right? You chased her away right?" Kitaura asked with a protective tone and clinged onto Ryosuke tightly. I could see the relief on his face when he turned to her.

"she won't come back, so just have fun alright. Especially Ryosuke, just relax!" Yu said kindly. His kindness is like poison to me, cause he could only say such hurtful words to continue shaping this protected world for Ryosuke and the lady who thinks that she is his everything, not realising that there were 2 other ladies before her who he loved so dearly that it caused him to lose himself. 

"hai, niichan!" Ryosuke responded that led Kitaura away in the opposite direction. They were skipping, hopping and running in the meadows, it's an indeed a dreamy imagery but unfortunately I have to wreck it in a matter of minutes if not seconds. I admit I was captivated by their kind laughters. I was even imagining to be her, when I saw Ryosuke circled his arms around her waist as they tried to fly the kite. That could be the most adult-like action I saw from him since I arrived yesterday, though I knew he was not thinking of anything particularly romantic. Yes, I consoled myself this way, that his mental state would not have ensured his comprehension of what 'Love' is. Isn't that what children always innocently think that their playmate has to be that marriage partners in the future and they would make those stupid love vows which would never be remembered decades down the road. If I have allowed them to continue to spend time together, without my interference, I am almost confident that Kitaura would initiate this, probably tie him down with a simple grass moulded ring. No, I would not allow that to happen! Pfft, a grass ring? I have one with him already, a silver ring. I looked at my fingers and saw nothing, just like how my love status is... nothing.

Then I saw the moment has come. I clutched the thick stick in my hand, took a deep breathe and hardened my heart. I sneak up quietly, though I thought perhaps I am being too careful in front of 2 'kids' who probably do not know anything about protecting themselves. I was confident that taking down Ryosuke wouldn't be too hard. They looked too vunerable even for someone like me who only had basic combat skills which Ainosuke has trained me briefly.Just when Ryosuke was fixing the kite and Kitaura was finally steps away from him, distracted by a butterfly, I crept up to her and swang the stick over her neck. Immediately I cupped to prevent any moans or groans from alerting Ryosuke, then lowered the unconscious Kitaura on the ground. The tall grasses effectively hide her from view, and when Ryosuke turned around finally to look for his playmate, he only saw me.

"y-you?! w-why are you here? w-where's K-Kitaura!" he panicked and his face went pale almost instantly the moment he saw me. He didn't even dare to look into my eyes. I told myself not to take it to heart, I told myself not to be affected by his reaction towards me. If I am a monster to him now, I can only strive to rectify things and eliminate that character of mine in his heart and bring him back to me.

I stepped nearer to him, and he backed away while yelling, "don't come here! go away!!!! NIICHAN!!!!!! KITAURAAAA!!!!" He screamed for help. There shouldn't be anyone around this secluded vicinity, I'm sure of it, but how is it that I hear some angry coming closer... 

"Mirai! Stop whatever you are doing!!!" I heard loud and clear. I looked over Ryosuke and saw Yuto and Yu running towards us. 

"Mirai! Don't do anything silly!" Yuto shouted worriedly.

They are inching closer to Ryosuke in the speed of light and he is doing likewise, running towards the source of their voice. No, if he goes to them, then I won't stand a chance anymore. There's no possibility I'll win the strength of Yu, even if Yuto stood on my side.

Fortunately, Ryosuke's speed wasn't fast, so when I dashed towards Ryosuke, I easily reached out to him.

"Let go of me!!! What do you want?!!!!" he struggled to release himself from my tight grip of his arms. His arms is thick and firm, despite his condition, hence I needed both my hands to restrain him. It was rather painstaking to fight his struggles and drag him across the meadow, at the same time, ensuring I maintained the speed so the pursuers would not catch up. Unconsciously, we arrive at the top of a cliff. 

"I won't hurt you... just come with me..."

"NO! I HATE YOU!!! JUST LET ME GO!!!" He tried to shake off my hands, giving me a forceful push that landed me a few steps away from him. He too fell on his .

"YOU DON'T HATE ME! RYOSUKE, I'M GONNA TELL YOU ALL THAT I KNOW ABOUT YOU"

"YOU ARE CRAZY!!!"

"I'M NOT! RYOSUKE, YOU ARE NOT WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE. YOU ARE SICK, THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T REMEMBER ME."

"I'M NOT SICK! I'M VERY HEALTHY. YOU ARE CRAZY! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU SAY."

"YOU ARE NOT YAMADA RYOSUKE! YOU ARE TANAKA AINOSUKE, THE KING OF AOIHOSHI! I'M YOUR WIFE, SHIDA MIRAI! WE LOVE EACH OTHER, YOU LOVE ME A LOT! AND THAT GUY EARLIER WITH ME, HE IS YOUR GENERAL AND FRIEND, NAKAJIMA YUTO... YOU HAVE A LOT MORE OTHER FRIENDS..."

"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! I ONLY HAVE MY BROTHER AND KITAURA!" Ryosuke was showing signs of migraine. He cupped his ears and was shaking his head profusely to protest and deny aggressively to whatever I said. He pressed onto his temples as if it was hurting whenever I uttered things of the past, and he was trembling so badly.

"HE IS NOT YOUR REAL BROTHER! KITAURA IS NOT YOUR ONLY FRIEND!"

"NOOO YOU ARE LYING!!!"

I have been too careless to have not realised Ryosuke backing away so much that he is right at the edge of the cliff. His senses was too messed up to realise the danger he is in.

"Ryosuke!!! stop moving back, you'll fall!" I warned, but it was no use. He never take my words seriously, instead my presence scares him so much that he disregarded all other threats to his life. It is disheartening, but that feeling has to be shoved aside cause I was faced with the most perilous moments of my life. Throughout my life with Ainosuke, I have never been there when he was in danger...But this time, not only was I faced with the threat that is about to take his life, I was also the person who literally forced him to the edge. Was Yu right? Did we hurt him so much that it would have been better if he stayed the way he is now, living his whole life foolishly, but at least laughing innocently? Have I made the wrong decision to take this happiness away from him? If I listened, would he have not plummeted to his death. Right before my eyes, I saw him fall off the cliff. My heart paused, then it was like a second instinct that I threw my whole weight near the edge of the cliff, leaning down and grabbing his hand with all my might.

"HOLD ON!!!!"

"I DON'T WANNA DIE..."

"i won't let you die...Ryosuke, don't let go. i'm sorry, you can hate me for all you want, I promise not to appear in front of you anymore if you want, just please don't let go of your hands" I struggled to speak as my hand began to feel numb. The sweat from our palms are just making it difficult to hold on. The fear that either of us will let go is so prominent and it is growing stronger as the time stretched. I couldn't pull his weight up no matter how hard I tried. Is this the end? His hands are slipping off fast.

"NOOOOOOO!" I shouted desperately as he disappeared before my eyes. I looked down and saw him plunged right into the river cliff. The waters is deep and rapid. There is no way he could have remembered how to swim if he couldn't even hold his utensils the right way. A thought came immediately, and without hesitation I pushed myself off the edge of the cliff and plunged right after Ryosuke. I knew that if he didn't make it, I too would not be able to live, so if I turn a blind eye to this, he will die. There's no averting from the decision I made; Me diving in is the only chance we will both survive.

I wasn't a good swimmer, but definitely better than Ryosuke at this point. I pinched my nose and brace myself few split seconds before impact. Frankly, the water pressure that smashed against my bones made me feel confused for a moment. I forced myself to refocus and channeled all my energy to locate where Ryosuke was. Every second is crucial if I were to reach him before he drowned, but my frenzy isn't helping. I searched high and low, hitting a few rocks as I past the numerous bents and fighting the currents. It seemed that my pleas were heard and there within the green seaweeds, I saw him motionless with his arms floating above his head. I couldn't shout his name to bring him back his senses, I was almost handicapped. I swam desperately to him and all I could do was to shake by his shoulders, hoping he will be awakened. Who am I kidding? if he regained his senses here, it wouldn't be worth celebrating at all. However, what I hoped to see was at least a glimpse of life. His eyes was tight shut and my attempt to hear his heartbeat under water is futile. The swim up will take time and I know he wouldn't last if he continues without air. There was only one idea in my mind now, though it may get both of us killed, but that was the only hope of making through it. Live together or die together, I went with this vision. Against the current, I pulled myself towards him such that our bodies are bounded together with my arms circled tightly around his neck. Then I sealed my lips with his. It seemed so surreal kissing him in such a perilous situation. I thought that if we really do not make it through, it isn't too bad cause I would probably the only lady who die with my husband's lips against mine. I let the remaining oxygen I have stored within me flow freely from mine to his. I was likened to an oxygen tank, one that is about to run empty soon with 2 person sharing what little is left in me. I carefully shifted my arms down to his back, anchored by his armpit, then embraced it tightly so it secures our current position such that my lips remains tightly pressed on his. Then I swam up desperately, pushing my legs. I could feel my effort paying off, I could see the point where the sunlight hits the surface and I know I'm getting close.

"Ryosuke, hold on a bit more, we are gonna make it..." I looked desperately at his eyes for signs of life, but instead of worrying about him, I started to worry about myself. My eyelids are getting heavier, and I could feel my heart slowing down immensely. I could feel I have strained my lungs to the limit. With what little energy I have in me, I finally brought ourselves above water. Fortunately, the wave was in our favour. It washed us ashore with little push on my part. As we laid on the grass patch, I crept up towards him and laid my head on his chest. I could hear very faint heartbeats but that alone made me relief. I entwined my fingers in his, so that it symbolically meant our inseparation. It satisfied my earlier jealousies and openly claimed authority for he is my love and no others. With his soothing heartbeat by my ears and his warmth radiating through my freezing body, I finally gave in to the fatigue and the wilful protest of my badly shaped body... 

******

"How could you allow her to kidnap Ryosuke?! how could you let her have her way everytime!" Yu yelled at Yuto, with his fist pointing at his chin.

"I told you I wasn't aware of her plans! I specifically told her to wait while I fetch my horse, but when I came back she was already missing!" Yuto shoved his fist away and gave Yu a hard push as if to give him a piece of his mind. "You are acting like a tyrant, Yu! I understand you want him to be happy, but this isn't the way! If you said we are selfish, then you are too. If there's something I'm sure about that you don't, is Ainosuke's love for Mirai! You have clearly underestimated their affection that bonds them together so strongly. Here you are trying to ask her to forget everything, don't you think it is too harsh! If Ryosuke ever regains his consciousness and learns about you chasing her away, I am sure he will not forgive you as well. "

The 2 of them stared at each other in fiery and such a hostile exchange lasted for at least a few minutes, until Yu responded. It was like he gained an enlightenment.

"i know how deep their love is. when Mirai was staying at my place the other time when she was in hiding and he happened to drop by, I could already feel the strong love that transpired between them. His anger was really because he loved her. I am really aware...b-but I just don't want him to get hurt anymore. I want my brother back." Yu finally showed his soft side, falling on his knees and cried with his hands over his forehead.

"Yu, none of us are wrong, it's just different ways of protecting him and expressing our love. I'm sure Mirai knows what she's doing when she decided to do all of these. She's not someone who would jeopardise his safety, cause she loves him too much that it's impossible she put him in danger. I think she just wants to jog his memory without any interference from us," Yuto stretched out his hand for Yu. Yu looked at him with tears trapped in his eyes, then took his hand after deliberation.

"what do you suggest we do now? What I am afraid is Ryosuke losing himself in her presence and hurt her.. worst, what if they both met danger."

"Don't worry, I'll get the Shiroku guards to help search for them. In the meantime, we can go look around this vicinity..."

"alright, I'll go make sure Kitaura is okay, then I'll meet you back here in 10 minutes."

"okay. She'll be fine right?"

"Mirai is quite harsh in her attack but it's just a huge bump on her neck and nothing else."

"thankfully, Mirai isn't that much of a warrior or this might have killed the poor girl" Yuto remarked with a lighthearted tone before turning towards his horse and preparing for their search. Yu turned back to look at Yuto before entering the house, and uttered "thank you"

"You're welcome"

They both exchanged smiles as they knew they have come to a consensus on how best they can protect their common love.